Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > NON EQ Stuff (Real life, other games, etc.) > Small Talk

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2004, 07:51 AM   #26
Jada

Actually the Toyota plant in Kentucky makes a lot of Kentucky people rather rich here, 20-25 bucks an hour (could be more) isn't that bad of a living.
Jada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 03:03 PM   #27
Iannyen

A substantial number of autos such as Mitsubishi, Toyota, and other foreign cars are built in America. And a substantial number of "domestic automobiles" are built in Mexico. Now who is supporting what economy?
Iannyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 11:49 AM   #28
Walterscott

A substantial number of autos such as Mitsubishi, Toyota, and other foreign cars are built in America. And a substantial number of "domestic automobiles" are built in Mexico. Now who is supporting what economy?
Fact is Mitsubishi & Toyota are Japanese based companies. GM, Ford & Chrysler are American based. The profits for each company ends up where?
Old 04-16-2004, 05:56 AM   #29
Mendeus
Un-registered User

Send a message via AIM to Mendeus Send a message via Yahoo to Mendeus
Fact is Mitsubishi & Toyota are Japanese based companies. GM, Ford & Chrysler are American based. The profits for each company ends up where?
In the pockets of the few big wigs and not the many factory workers.
Mendeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 01:25 PM   #30
Gurglespit

Send a message via Yahoo to Gurglespit
and how much in tariffs and taxes do we get out of them to support our own economy.. buying foreign cars doesn't hurt us at all..

EDIT: oh yea.. I also suggest a Toyota, Honda, or Mitsubishi.. they are all top quality, last forever, hold value well, and aren't terribly expensive for the low end base models.
Old 04-19-2004, 08:27 PM   #31
Walterscott

Maybe someday you'll lose your job to an overseas replacement and understand.

Go ahead and continue supporting foreign economies and live with blinders on while American workers lose their jobs. I hope the few bucks you saved was worth your career and/or a family or friend's career. Slowly and surely your sending them over seas...
Old 04-19-2004, 10:40 PM   #32
Ulujain

Originally Posted by Walterscott
Maybe someday you'll lose your job to an overseas replacement and understand.

Go ahead and continue supporting foreign economies and live with blinders on while American workers lose their jobs. I hope the few bucks you saved was worth your career and/or a family or friend's career. Slowly and surely your sending them over seas...
Translation: The Japanese have a superior team-based work ethic to us greedy individualistic Americans and there's nothing I can do about it.
Old 04-20-2004, 05:57 AM   #33
Hormadrune
Sociopathic bully?

Anyone have any experience with the Ford Focus? I've been muy disappointed in the leases Toyota's finance people have thrown at me so far.

I test drove a Scion xA (Toyota's budget hipster brand) and liked everything about it except the fact that I accelerate faster when I'm cycling than I could in this thing
Old 04-20-2004, 08:39 AM   #34
Valleycrest
Defrocked Irish priest

I just hate the look of the Focus but if you are looking for a piece of crap car, then that's a pretty good one. It's a rally car, how could you go wrong with that?
Valleycrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 08:50 AM   #35
Karisma

Early on, the Focus had a lot of trouble with eletrical and other systems and there was a good chance you'd get a lemon. The quality has increased drastically in the last few years, so they should be pretty reliable now. I'd still take my bets on the Toyotas, though - I don't fully trust the Focus even with the supposed improvements.
Karisma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 01:06 PM   #36
Gurglespit

Send a message via Yahoo to Gurglespit
just thought I'd point this story out

http://autos.msn.com/advice/article....21986&src=News
Old 04-26-2004, 10:49 AM   #37
Kaeleya

I have a fairly new Ford Mustang (about 6 or 7 months old now). I did not like the Focus at all... but I LOVE the Mustang. It is probably one of the most fun and somewhat affordable things I have ever driven. So my vote would go to the Ford Mustang (if you can afford it)
Kaeleya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 06:09 PM   #38
gojirra monk

Warning: Do not try to drive a Mustang if there is any snow on the ground within about 30 miles.
gojirra monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 08:15 PM   #39
Hormadrune
Sociopathic bully?

Yeah, rear-wheel drive isn't the greatest solution in New England winters If we had a different climate I might actually think about a motorcycle instead of a car but that's just not practical where I live (Boston-area).
Old 04-26-2004, 08:21 PM   #40
Caoilfhionn
Erotic, exotic & a little psychotic

Send a message via ICQ to Caoilfhionn Send a message via MSN to Caoilfhionn
Pussies! I drove a rear wheel drive car in Nebraska for years! And I was a teenager. Managed not to kill myself or anyone else!

It's either a miracle or I learned how! Or both!

edit: the ford focus we rented had a Mazda engine. Didn't like the car, personally, but it had more power than my Nissan. My poor smooshed Nissan (run over by a distraught woman...I personally think she was trying to kill herself by proxy) that has been replaced by a Mazda.
Caoilfhionn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 04:21 AM   #41
Wildane
Psychopath w/a conscience

What is it with piecemeal cars nowadays? Friend of mine just bought a '98 Chevy Prism, which came with a Toyota motor (since it's really just a Corolla with different nameplates).

"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear." - Thomas Jefferson
Wildane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 08:49 AM   #42
gojirra monk

The auto industry has been going through a period of mergers and alliances globally.

This has led to some fairly odd developments, such as the various "foreign" cars branded as "domestic" cars. The Sebring/Avenger come to mind as rebranded Mitsubishis.

Think of the GM consolidation, but on a larger scale.
Old 04-27-2004, 12:43 PM   #43
Hormadrune
Sociopathic bully?

Oh I've driven rear-wheel drive here before. I learned to drive on my mom's '86 Chevy Celebrity station wagon (**NOT** a chick magnet btw ) and actually had alot of fun doing donuts and 180s in the school parking lot during snow days
Old 04-27-2004, 02:46 PM   #44
gojirra monk

You can do the same thing in a FWD car too. Occasionally even get some good ones in with a 4WD car, but it takes more coaxing. (Translation: get a big parking lot, get it up around 35, crank the wheel hard and stomp on the gas.)

My mention of the Mustang wasn't about RWD cars in general, but about Mustangs specifically.

We drove a Mustang from Texas to Minnesota one year in January. This was not a wise decision, but since the alternative was to leave it there, we did it.

The handling of the car seemed to decline with each mile north that we took it. Once snow was actually visible in the ditches, it was like the car was scared and was trying to break our control so it could sprint back down south. The ending of the trip when we were in Minnesota and there was actually some snow on the roads was torture, with the back end trying to come around every time a gust of wind carried a few flakes over the top of the road.

Oh, and for all you southerners, 50 degrees in January really is tee shirt and shorts weather. Stop looking at us funny from inside your parkas.
Old 04-27-2004, 04:08 PM   #45
Aelain
Stop that rhyming!

Send a message via AIM to Aelain
Originally Posted by Walterscott
You people advocating supporting foreign economies really saddens me...
How is buying a USED import supporting a foreign economy?

I'd go for the Honda or Toyota as well. I had a 1983 Tercel, ran like a top, and I traded it in for a Dodge Daytona; worst mistake I ever made. I finally (three cars later) got back to Toyota when I bought my 2001 Solara. Great car! Nowadays they are mostly US built.
Old 04-28-2004, 07:51 AM   #46
Kaeleya

I live in NJ, we do not get a ton of snow, but we get enough. This winter we had a lot of snow, and I drove my Mustang to get around in it. I had so much fun driving my RW drive car in the winter... It was a trip, I would turn off trac control to slide out on purpose. I always laughed about the fact that the car has traction control but it is absolutely useless since it slips out of traction control every few minutes. I really love my car, not sure if they are in your price range, but they are a real trip!

I will admit that they do not handle the best in the snow, but if you know how to drive.. you will be fine

~K
Kaeleya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 02:14 PM   #47
Festivus

Toyota Pickup truck with a 22R engine in it. I got 300,000 miles outta mine before I HAD to sell it to make room for a baby (needed a back seat).

no images!
Festivus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 01:00 PM   #48
Alekzandr

Pretty much any Toyota vehicle with a 22R(anything) has a propensity for being a very long lasting beater vehicle. I will give you a suggestion for a vehicle to stay away from, Nissan Pulsar's are the devil.
Alekzandr is offline   Reply With Quote