Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > NON EQ Stuff (Real life, other games, etc.) > Technical Related

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2003, 06:16 AM   #26
FanonFaythunder
ThreadKiller, Bitches

Send a message via ICQ to FanonFaythunder Send a message via AIM to FanonFaythunder
Where others may see a flaw, I think it's a testament to AMD's engineering that a proceessor clocked far below intel's can keep up in actual output.

AMD's simply proving that clock speed isn't everything.

No, I don't play... except when I do.
FanonFaythunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 08:00 AM   #27
Kerryn

No Fanon. I think they've taken a widely ackowledged standard and without explaining to their customers that the architecture is different and therefore the processors are comparable, theye decreased that standard.

Even people with no computer knowledge whatseover come to me and say "but the pentium has 3.2giggerthingies but the other one only has 2.2giggerthingies."

Which is why AMD are struggling financially.

There were better ways to market this product then let people think they are slower, when they are simply more efficient.
Kerryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 08:19 AM   #28
TheClericBanton

Send a message via AIM to TheClericBanton Send a message via Yahoo to TheClericBanton
But as AMD and ATI have proven, The mhz of the product mean nothing. Look at the Nvidia vs ATI conflict, in pure horse power the nvidia cards are more powerful but the ATI cards still preform better thanks to the better architecture. The same goes for the AMD64 CPU's. Slower clocks but better performance...
[EGBT]|MaguS| - [EGBT]
Click Here for a FREE Ipod!
TheClericBanton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 08:56 AM   #29
Trech

Send a message via MSN to Trech
The irony is that AMD and Intel have had a technology sharing agreement for many years now and both companies basically have access to the design specs on whatever the other is doing
Trech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 12:00 PM   #30
FanonFaythunder
ThreadKiller, Bitches

Send a message via ICQ to FanonFaythunder Send a message via AIM to FanonFaythunder
Yeah, T. I don't really have an answer for AMD's marketing issues. Redesigning their CPU's again would sink them as a company once and for all. They simply can't afford it.

Old 11-26-2003, 05:48 PM   #31
Windzer

Send a message via AIM to Windzer
Hey Banton, lol, prescott ain't saving intel's ass for crap :P It is teh suk, unless ddr2 helps it a WHOLE lot, AMD is in the clear with the fx series for the performance crown. I'll be buying mine once they switch the socket . Hate to dis but the early adopters are gunna get screwed with now upgrade path when they phase the old socket out.
Windzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2003, 05:09 AM   #32
Kerryn

"But as AMD and ATI have proven, The mhz of the product mean nothing."

The mhz of the product mean everything. If AMD have proven this was not the case they wouldn't be suffering financially.

I see what you're saying but my point stands. I like AMD, I recommend them to everyone that asks, but I don't think they've proven anything.
Old 11-29-2003, 11:28 AM   #33
FanonFaythunder
ThreadKiller, Bitches

Clock speed of a product doesn't mean anything to the educated consumer.

It only means something to the people who don't do their research. They usually buy macs anyway

Old 12-02-2003, 05:55 AM   #34
Kerryn

I agree Fanon.

Trouble is Microsoft reckon that 76% of all people that purchased a computer in 2002 did so from one of the big name companies like Dell or Compaq and have no previous computer knowledge at all.

They also believe that 64% of all people who submitted surveys to them over the past 3 years do not know what components are fitted in their machines and that 88% could not give you the specifications.