Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > NON EQ Stuff (Real life, other games, etc.) > Steam Vent

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2008, 12:42 PM   #26
Ini
Indestructible

Send a message via Yahoo to Ini
Originally Posted by Drysdale View Post
Damn y'all are sad sometimes! Pull your heads outta the WoW raids for a minute and live a little!
I watch T.V. maybe 2 hours a week. I guess I have never paid attention to what stations there are. Of course with that being said if it isn't nick jr, disney channel or noggin (another kids station showing preschool type toons ALL the fucking time) I don't get much outside those realms with the t.v. being on, mainly because there is nothing but absolute shit on that I don't want my kids watching. If I do get to watch t.v. it is usually something on discovery like dirty jobs or mythbusters.

That reminds me of someone eating a shit sandwich who is happy that it has 20% less shit.
Ini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 01:08 PM   #27
Hormadrune
Sociopathic bully?

Never got past lvl 20, in all honesty. Bored me to snoozing!
It gets better later on. I quit to go back to EQ after getting to ~30 when WoW first launched (being similarly bored with the first few levels) but have played casually since late '07 again. Roll Horde side on a Retaliation BG server so I can slay your face!
Old 07-30-2008, 01:27 PM   #28
Pafuna
Brilliant Curmudgeon

I have a 70 Horde Undead Rogue on a PvP server. I like the WoW PvP model for the most part, as I've always had an affinity for that sort of combat. It's not too difficult to get to 70 in WoW, even in a PvP zone (in fact, levelling in a PvP zone is a little exciting, as you also have to be on your toes in case the odd Alliance pk'er shows up). The down side is that unless you're in a good guild, meaningful raiding is non-existent. Even on the PvE servers in WoW, the odd chance of getting a PuG raid is rare.

If you find yourself in a good raiding guild in WoW, and if you've ever been a raider in EQ, prepare yourself for a snoozefest. EQ end game content is all about the science of raiding, so if you got anywhere close to, say, Qvic in EQ, keyed for Planes, BoT, Ssra, ToV, anything requiring tactics and skill, then you will be sorely disappointed in the WoW end game content.

So, if you ever find yourself on Zuluhed as an Ally and face down in the dirt from a dagger in the back, please accept my apologies in advance, as beating up allies is far more satisfying these days than raiding for phatl3wtz.
Damn, is Pafuna allowed to win the intrawebs twice, or is it a lifetime achievement thing?
Pafuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 03:44 PM   #29
Hormadrune
Sociopathic bully?

I tried a PvP server when I first came back but got ganked by 70's so many times as a mid-20's belf pally that I went back to my PvE warrior. Now that I'm 70 though, I'd say 80% of my time in game is spent PvP'ing. I agree though, there's something much more fulfilling about defeating human tactics than predictable AI.
Old 07-30-2008, 03:58 PM   #30
Beal

Originally Posted by Hormadrune
I tried a PvP server when I first came back but got ganked by 70's so many times as a mid-20's belf pally that I went back to my PvE warrior. Now that I'm 70 though, I'd say 80% of my time in game is spent PvP'ing. I agree though, there's something much more fulfilling about defeating human tactics than predictable AI.
I have never played WOW before. How do you organize your tactics? For example, is there a way for you to record a demo of your opponent's tactics ahead of time so that you can be prepared for him when the time comes? Or is that against the rules?
Beal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 04:23 PM   #31
Ini
Indestructible

Send a message via Yahoo to Ini
It depends on who or how many you face Beal. Let's say you are in Warsong Gulch, or even Arathi Basin, WSG is a capture the flag type game and it is a 10 vs 10 match alliance vs horde. If you are up against a well organized guild that do that all the time, fucking forget it unless your guild, or group that you are with are just as organized or even better. My guild I was in on Dragonblight slayed everything in our path when it came to WSG save for a couple of horde guilds that we seemed to have trouble with.

Arathi Basin was the same way for us, it is a 15 vs 15 alliance vs horde. We dominated everything that ever came up against us. Even the horde guilds we had trouble with in WSG. You have 5 areas you have to capture by standing there until the node belongs to you. first to 2000 points wins.

Alterac Valley is a 40 vs 40 alliance vs horde match. AV was fucking fun until people on the horde side bitched and moaned and got their way and Blizzard the fuckwits they are made it soooooo much easier for the horde to win. When I quit playing about a year ago they were blasting alliance left and right. You have to either run the opposing team out of reinforcements, or kill the opposing faction leader.

Eye of the Storm was great in that it combined WSG and AB into one match. first to 2000 I believe was the winner I think. There are so many strategies for each one I hardly remember the ones we used. Usually you could figure out the other side and what they were doing in about 30 sec to 1 min. By then you knew if you were going to get dominated or not lol

That reminds me of someone eating a shit sandwich who is happy that it has 20% less shit.
Ini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 04:50 PM   #32
Davek
Squawk Box

How tough is it to venture into PvP at level 70 having never PvP'ed and thus don't have the gear/experience?

I'm not afraid of dying, so learning from that is no problem. I go out cliff jumping for the fun of it =) Now that I fly, I'm working on the chicken game.

I'm a 70 Gnome Warlock on a PvE RP server....fairly new to 70 so still clearing out existing quests along with dungeon runs, so gear is still pretty green/blue.

Our guild isn't huge on raiding but they do still do a fair amount(Kara/Mags/Gruul/Zul seem to be the main ones) but are also in an aliance with another guild who are more raid oriented.

Man that just rolls off the tongue nicely.

Originally Posted by Karthanon View Post
I know, you're in Ottawa, Davek. Still, I can't help but /poke you.
And you wonder why I don't play nice with you? You leave my man buttons alone.. Those are Davek's.
Davek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 05:31 PM   #33
Drysdale
RSS Feed

Originally Posted by Beal View Post
I have never played WOW before. How do you organize your tactics? For example, is there a way for you to record a demo of your opponent's tactics ahead of time so that you can be prepared for him when the time comes? Or is that against the rules?
pwn
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."
-Robert A. Heinlein

"Thou shalt not steal. Except by majority vote." - Gary North
Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 05:36 PM   #34
Drysdale
RSS Feed

Originally Posted by Hormadrune View Post
It gets better later on. I quit to go back to EQ after getting to ~30 when WoW first launched (being similarly bored with the first few levels) but have played casually since late '07 again. Roll Horde side on a Retaliation BG server so I can slay your face!
Can't... I haven't logged on since about 3 months after the game started, and I got this email from them the other day...

Originally Posted by WoW Administrators
***Notice of Account Closure*** This is a notification regarding the World of Warcraft account _______. Access to this account has been permanently disabled for exploitation of the World of Warcraft economy or for being associated to accounts which have been closed for intended exploitation. While we try to be as lenient as possible in our assessments of the results of exploitation investigations, exploitative endeavors on your accounts have ultimately lead to their closure. The recurring subscription on the account has been disabled to prevent further charges. As a result, this account will no longer be able to access any aspect of World of Warcraft. This action has been taken in accordance with the Terms of Use (http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/legal/termsofuse.html) and our game policies (http://www.blizzard.com/support/wowgm/?id=agm01712p). According to the World of Warcraft Terms of Use, to which all players agree when installing World of Warcraft, Section 5, Paragraph C [Rules Related to Game Play] states that you may not do anything that Blizzard Entertainment considers contrary to the "essence" of World of Warcraft. Any disputes or questions concerning this account action can only be addressed by Account Administration. To learn more about how Account Administration is able to assist you, please visit us at http://us.blizzard.com/support/article/21505. Thank you for your time and understanding of our position in this matter. Please feel free to contact us with any questions or concerns you may have. Regards, NalostAccount AdministrationBlizzard Entertainmentwww.WorldOfWarcraft.com
Apparantly I got haxx0r3d. Oh well... not like I was going back in or anything...
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."
-Robert A. Heinlein

Old 07-30-2008, 07:16 PM   #35
Hormadrune
Sociopathic bully?

Originally Posted by Beal View Post
Fail. Badly.
Old 07-30-2008, 08:47 PM   #36
Beal

Originally Posted by Hormadrune
Fail. Badly.
Oh grow a sense of humor!
Beal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 09:44 PM   #37
Drysdale
RSS Feed

Originally Posted by Hormadrune View Post
Fail. Badly.
Your fail is a fail. That was funny.
-Robert A. Heinlein

Old 07-31-2008, 12:14 AM   #38
AjTaliesen

Originally Posted by Davek View Post
How tough is it to venture into PvP at level 70 having never PvP'ed and thus don't have the gear/experience?

I'm not afraid of dying, so learning from that is no problem. I go out cliff jumping for the fun of it =) Now that I fly, I'm working on the chicken game.

I'm a 70 Gnome Warlock on a PvE RP server....fairly new to 70 so still clearing out existing quests along with dungeon runs, so gear is still pretty green/blue.

Our guild isn't huge on raiding but they do still do a fair amount(Kara/Mags/Gruul/Zul seem to be the main ones) but are also in an aliance with another guild who are more raid oriented.

You wont be the worst in there. Becuase they made pvp gear so good theres a HUGE number of people who only go into battlegrounds to get enough points for gear then never go back again. Although, really for this reason I would highly reccomend some BG's for you. It's a good way to get gear that beats the hell out of blues and for allot of classes even beats kara and some tier 5 for raiding (sad as that is).

As a lock, you OWN solo in pve..not so much in pvp. Either try to stay with the herd, or glue yourself to a priest or something. IF you live long enough you are massively effective in pvp...unfortunately locks are the second thing rogues target (they think they are first, but the dont realise that we go for other rogues first...we hate each other even more than everyone else hates us) so a lock all by himself is roguesnack...dont try it till you've got a full set of pvp gear and can make the rogue cry when the lock spanks him solo...with no resilience though: solo you are not going to survive the rogues opening stun combo.

and yeah, dying is no big deal in wow anyway, even less of a big deal in pvp. No real gear damage so the only thing dying does is keep someone out of combat for a few seconds.

Make a skittle machine at the beginning, spam fear and aoes and some see invis on your group and you've already brought more to the table than 3/4 of the people there, gear or not.
AjTaliesen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 03:27 AM   #39
Davek
Squawk Box

Yeah, from what I've heard, Rogues are the main ones to watch out for with the stun locks.

I thought there was a huge mudflation when I finally hit Outlands, then I saw the gear available at Area 52 for PvP rewards....it's sick! That would be my main reason for doing PvP but I hear it's addictive as well.

Skittle machine? You talking about the master health stone dispenser?

And you wonder why I don't play nice with you? You leave my man buttons alone.. Those are Davek's.
Old 07-31-2008, 05:08 AM   #40
Wildane
Psychopath w/a conscience

WoW fucking sucks. Way too many d00dz and shitheads in that game. Lord of the Rings Online blows it away in every way I can think of. Unlike with WoW and EQ, bad pickup groups were pretty rare. For that reason alone I would give it a much higher rating than WoW. Plus, there isn't as much whining in open chat channels, although they still need to learn how to kill gold spam. If they would just give you the ability to ignore people based upon level, that would take care of it. If you ignore everyone below, say, level 20, problem solved.

Anyway, I don't play any of that shit anymore.

"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear." - Thomas Jefferson
Wildane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 05:16 AM   #41
Davek
Squawk Box

I enjoy it and tend to ignore the General/Trade channels when in cities.

But again like EQ, it's friends that make the game fun. My 2 good friend IRL who I played EQ with had been playing WoW and retired from EQ. I decided to retire with the passing of Redwing.

They convinced me to try WoW. I joined their guild and it turned out I knew 2 other people IRL in there....and the bonus was that one of them is the Guild Leader.

I was quite addicted on my 4 month grind to 70 enjoying a lot of things they got right that EQ never did. Although now at 70 I can relax more and not be as goal oriented on the grind side(until the next expansion).

I think what made it more enjoyable for me is that I avoided a lot of info sites and addons that made things too easy, so for me everything was new and I discovered most of it on my own. Now that I've been there and done that I jumped into checking out various addons and whatnot.

Of course, since I got the Aerosmith package for GHIII for my birthday today, I'll be playing that for awhile now =) Ding 38!

Old 07-31-2008, 05:20 AM   #42
ShardmoonVer.1

Happy Birthday man.
Old 07-31-2008, 05:22 AM   #43
Drysdale
RSS Feed

Originally Posted by Davek View Post
Of course, since I got the Aerosmith package for GHIII for my birthday today, I'll be playing that for awhile now =) Ding 38!
Happy birthday!
-Robert A. Heinlein

Old 07-31-2008, 05:26 AM   #44
Wildane
Psychopath w/a conscience

Happy Birthday, man.

"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear." - Thomas Jefferson
Wildane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 05:28 AM   #45
Pafuna
Brilliant Curmudgeon

jes, happy Birthday!
Damn, is Pafuna allowed to win the intrawebs twice, or is it a lifetime achievement thing?
Old 07-31-2008, 05:31 AM   #46
FafnerMorell
Warrior 4 the working-day

Happy Birthday!
-- William Shakespeare, Henvy V, Act 4, Scene 3
FafnerMorell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 05:31 AM   #47
Brigiid

Send a message via AIM to Brigiid
Geez, you're old.

I kid, I kid!

Happy birthday, Grandpa!
Old 07-31-2008, 05:33 AM   #48
Drysdale
RSS Feed

Originally Posted by Brigiid View Post
Geez, you're old.

I kid, I kid!

Happy birthday, Grandpa!
As someone almost a year older than Davek, I must say: Screw you kid! Better watch that punk mouth or I'll work you over with my cane!
-Robert A. Heinlein

Old 07-31-2008, 05:34 AM   #49
Brigiid

Send a message via AIM to Brigiid
Gotta catch me first.
Old 07-31-2008, 05:35 AM   #50
Pafuna
Brilliant Curmudgeon

*gasp*

She appears!

What's the latest in EQ world, B?