Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > NON EQ Stuff (Real life, other games, etc.) > Steam Vent

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2008, 01:00 PM   #1
Pafuna
Brilliant Curmudgeon

Default Critics Hate New S&M Barbie

Article and photo.

Barbieís new S&M look has whipped up a storm ó with protesters dubbing it "filth."

The dollís image is transformed with kinky fishnets, motorcycle jacket, black gloves and boots.

Maker Mattel says Black Canary Barbie, out in September, is based on a DC Comics superhero of the same name.

But religious group Christian Voice said: "Barbie has always been on the tarty side and this is taking it too far. A childrenís doll in sexually suggestive clothing is irresponsible ó itís filth."

On the flip side, Mattel finally releases a doll some boys wouldn't mind playing with... sort of....
Damn, is Pafuna allowed to win the intrawebs twice, or is it a lifetime achievement thing?
Pafuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 01:08 PM   #2
Drysdale
RSS Feed

Sweet! Dinah never looked so good!
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."
-Robert A. Heinlein

"Thou shalt not steal. Except by majority vote." - Gary North
Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 01:30 PM   #3
SupportTank

no peircings and no spiked hair. lack of goth make up.

FAIL!

70 Warrior - Affliction

If someone tells you it's OK to lie. How do you know they aren't lying?
SupportTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 01:51 PM   #4
Beal

no peircings and no spiked hair. lack of goth make up.

FAIL!
They were going for the slutty look, not the daddy-doesn't-love-me look.
Beal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 03:35 PM   #5
Brigiid

Send a message via AIM to Brigiid
I really don't see the big deal. It's a recreation of a comic book character? Don't all of the comic book women dress a little trampy?
Old 07-17-2008, 05:37 PM   #6
Drysdale
RSS Feed

Originally Posted by Brigiid View Post
I really don't see the big deal. It's a recreation of a comic book character? Don't all of the comic book women dress a little trampy?
Their artists didn't date much in college...
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."
-Robert A. Heinlein

Old 07-18-2008, 06:14 AM   #7
Pafuna
Brilliant Curmudgeon

Explains why young males read comic books.
Damn, is Pafuna allowed to win the intrawebs twice, or is it a lifetime achievement thing?
Pafuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 06:39 AM   #8
Brigiid

I read 'em too when I was younger. I had a thing for Rogue and Psylocke, but Batman's my all-time favorite.
Old 07-20-2008, 06:09 AM   #9
Rheaton

If you are a collector.. sure. Buy it for your 5 year old daughter? naaaa

Just because they sell mini vibrator accessories for Barbie, doesnt mean you have to buy them.
"But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned." (1st Corinthians 2:14)
:9
Rheaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 09:50 AM   #10
Brigiid

Kids tend to be into cartoons and comics, too. It's crazy, I know.
Old 07-20-2008, 10:14 AM   #11
AjTaliesen

Kids tend to be into cartoons and comics, too. It's crazy, I know.
Not all cartoons and comics are for kids. If you're a parent and make the assumption that becuase it's animated then it must be a suitable babysitter for your impressionable brat...you fail.
AjTaliesen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 10:20 AM   #12
Brigiid

True. I just don't see why S&M Barbie's any more offensive than a Catwoman doll, or a Poison Ivy doll. Super heroes/villains in tight/revealing/trampy clothing is far from new. Why now?
Old 07-20-2008, 08:50 PM   #13
Rheaton

True. I just don't see why S&M Barbie's any more offensive than a Catwoman doll, or a Poison Ivy doll. Super heroes/villains in tight/revealing/trampy clothing is far from new. Why now?
Why are we assuming that Poison Ivy and Catwoman are acceptable role models?

Are we to assume that you believe that they should be?

By virtue of what?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Canary
"But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned." (1st Corinthians 2:14)
:9
Rheaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 01:55 AM   #14
Axgar

Send a message via Yahoo to Axgar
If Brig said that Ted Bundy is not different than Charles Manson a murderer is a murderer would she be saying Ted Bundy is a role model? I really didnt see her say any of this was good, she was comparing them not evalutating them.
Axgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 06:55 AM   #15
Drysdale
RSS Feed

It's not like this is the only Black Canary figure either...

http://www.entertainmentearth.com/pr...382#LargeImage

http://www.shopafx.com/woofdcunblca.html

http://www.mwctoys.com/REVIEW_103105b.htm

http://www.wizarduniverse.com/mar050502z.html

http://www.comicbookbin.com/blackcanary000.html

http://cgi.ebay.com/Black-Canary-Act...ayphotohosting

http://www.angelfire.com/comics/cana...rchandise.html
-Robert A. Heinlein

Old 07-21-2008, 09:13 PM   #16
AjTaliesen

Originally Posted by Rheaton View Post

Are we to assume that you believe that they should be?

By virtue of what?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Canary
Quite a few would say Barbie isn't a good role model either.

Thank God I was born male in the 70's...They gave us a hard time about D&D, but beyond that no one said a damn thing about the realistic toy guns, or small army of killer-gi-mercenary-bloodthirsty-destruction-and-mayhem loving action figures.

I also got the cool tonka trucks that were cool and metal and super realistic looking and didnt make me feel like Ruprect from Dirty Rotten Scoundrels with a cork stuck on my fork so as not to hurt myself.

Honestly I wonder sometimes if maybe it isn't actually doing more damage to kids to A) tell themn constantly that thier dumber than retarted monkeys who can't be trusted with anything more hurtful than nerf bunnies. and B) Desperately shield them from everything so that in high school and college they go fucking crazy. I wasn't shielded from a damn thing, had metal trucks and realistic toy guns and in the end when I left home I wouldn't have DREAMED of pulling some of the shit young adults are into now.
AjTaliesen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 10:25 PM   #17
SupportTank

I also was born in the 70's. i really liked to build shit. usually where people didn't want it built. i had at least 4 treehouses going at once one summer. on other peoples property.

one of them had 3 floors. the neighbors had screaming fits. thought we were the kids belonging to the property. now That was funny.

oh and i also liked blasting caps. real ones.. and rockets. i made my own fuel too. till i blew all the skin off one hand. luckly i didn't blow all the layers off and it grew back. yes i still made rocket fuel after that too. my concession was Not to build it indoors where it could burn the house down.

i DID light my house on fire when i tried to blow my hand off. I got it under control but i still hear about that to this day. Not the blowing up of the hand nooo but the house fire.

70 Warrior - Affliction

Old 07-22-2008, 02:00 AM   #18
Axgar

Thats when blasting caps werent so hard to come by hehe.

Tonka trucks were awesome, now they suck all plastic junk, mine lasted a long time whish i still had them.

Erector sets, dunno if anyone remembers them but they were cool and constructivie.

lincoln logs........ hell a kid would have a shit fit if he had to play with them in todays world.

legos...... athough still popular are different then they used to be but at least are contstructive.

boys shouldnt be playing with dolls anyway so....... even GI Joe should be off limits, go build a tree house like support did
Old 07-22-2008, 04:37 AM   #19
Davek
Squawk Box

Originally Posted by Axgar View Post
boys shouldnt be playing with dolls anyway so....... even GI Joe should be off limits, go build a tree house like support did
Bite me....I had several of the 12" Star Wars dolls (damn I wish I hadn't gotten rid of tho$e).

Tree houses didn't do it for me since I'm afraid of heights.

I grew up on military bases, so playing guns was a staple.

I even had lawn darts with metal tips!

Unlike urban playgrounds these days, ours had real grass to play on and not concrete(I still don't understand how monkeybars and swings on concrete ever came about).

Man that just rolls off the tongue nicely.

Originally Posted by Karthanon View Post
I know, you're in Ottawa, Davek. Still, I can't help but /poke you.
Originally Posted by Drysdale View Post
And you wonder why I don't play nice with you? You leave my man buttons alone.. Those are Davek's.
Davek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 05:00 AM   #20
Drysdale
RSS Feed

Originally Posted by Davek View Post
Bite me....I had several of the 12" Star Wars dolls (damn I wish I hadn't gotten rid of tho$e).
I have the Boba Fett, but it had some serious hard use from my childhood days. We won't even mention the model rocket engines I used to really make him fly...
-Robert A. Heinlein

Old 07-22-2008, 09:03 AM   #21
SupportTank

I can't imagine bringing up a child where there isn't lots of trees and grass. and i live In a city.

i also had lego. i thought it was awesome. there wasn't anything i couldn't build!

at 11 i built a crane out of lego. no glue. just lego and plastic gears. it could lift the kitchen chair. which was a metal framed chair. which outweighed the crane about 15-1. the largest problem was anchoring the crane.

i also attempted to build rocket cars with lego. that didn't work so well. the lego is nice but its too bulky, so the cars with move about 5 feet and 1 of 3 things happened.

first the car blew up. the rocket force being strong enough to make the lego all fall apart at speed.

second the car caught on fire. real rockets here very hot. lego plastic. not a good combo.

third. didn't do anything at all. this occured when i solved the blowing up and fire problems. the car weighed too much at this point.

I moved on the remote controlled cars at this point with bought rockets strapped to them. my rockets weighed too much. and i couldn't get the weight down with the materials i had a hand.

the remote controlled rocket cars were a great success those that didn't blow up that is. and a few of them did => when they worked they worked Very well.

i made the mistake early on that since the remote controlled car was more heavy then the lego that i needed larger rockets. first car moved about 10 feet and its suspension failed. i mean seriously failed. 4 wheels 4 diff directions. then a fireball =>

note to self using 5 D cell rockets Far too much Ommmfff for the little remote controlled car. Start smaller.

70 Warrior - Affliction

Old 07-22-2008, 09:18 AM   #22
Davek
Squawk Box

Anyone ever run current through steel wool(the finer the better)?

Somehow this came up at my dad's birthday dinner the other night. Mom was horrified about some of the stories my brother and I told about things we used to do. Dad just laughed.

Man that just rolls off the tongue nicely.

Originally Posted by Karthanon View Post
I know, you're in Ottawa, Davek. Still, I can't help but /poke you.
Originally Posted by Drysdale View Post
And you wonder why I don't play nice with you? You leave my man buttons alone.. Those are Davek's.
Davek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 09:42 AM   #23
Axgar

Originally Posted by Davek View Post

Tree houses didn't do it for me since I'm afraid of heights.

I grew up on military bases, so playing guns was a staple.

I even had lawn darts with metal tips!

Unlike urban playgrounds these days, ours had real grass to play on and not concrete(I still don't understand how monkeybars and swings on concrete ever came about).
ur lucky I dont use Bumbles logic or Id come to the conclusion that all guys that had dolls were gay :P.

I was kidding about the GI joe doll thing though, i used to have little army figurines that we played with as kids.... (figurine...doll...... lol same thing near as i can tell).

I still preferred legos and tonkas and the erector set though, much more fun to me.
Old 07-22-2008, 11:23 AM   #24
Drysdale
RSS Feed

Originally Posted by SupportTank View Post

note to self using 5 D cell rockets Far too much Ommmfff for the little remote controlled car. Start smaller.
Heh... ever strip down a D cell and shove it into one of those tiny little rockets that's supposed to house an A cell?

You never see them again!
-Robert A. Heinlein

Old 07-22-2008, 12:04 PM   #25
Brigiid

Originally Posted by Rheaton
I'm not saying they are. I'm saying that with all of the other similar dolls out there, why does this one stand out as being especially bad?