Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > NON EQ Stuff (Real life, other games, etc.) > Steam Vent

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2004, 03:18 PM   #1
Chiteng
Supporter

Default Bush pussing out?

Seems like Bush called off the 'assault' on the mosque?

Cant imagine why. The flipped off the entire USA, but Bush will let it slide.

Voltaire

'For those with faith, no proof is needed. For those without faith, no proof is enough'

French Priest
Chiteng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004, 03:27 PM   #2
chukzombi
The Undead Shaman

Why did i click this post, boredom>>me

anyway

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,129033,00.html

Fighting Resumes in Najaf; Blasts in Baghdad
Sunday, August 15, 2004

NAJAF, Iraq — Explosions and gunfire shook the center of Najaf (search) on Sunday as U.S. troops in armored vehicles and tanks rolled back into the holy city and new fighting broke out after truce talks collapsed.

The new U.S. offensive in Najaf cast a pall over Sunday's opening of the National Conference (search), a gathering of more than 1,000 delegates from across Iraq seen as a key step toward democracy in the country.

Hours after the conference opened, insurgents fired a barrage of mortars that hit a commuter bus station in central Baghdad, killing two people and wounding 17 others, according to the Health Ministry.

The barrage apparently targeted the capital's Green Zone, the heavily protected neighborhood where the conference is taking place but instead hit the station, which was left littered with glass, shrapnel and blood.

Also in Baghdad, a roadside bomb killed a U.S. soldier hours before the conference began. At least 931 U.S. servicemembers have died in Iraq since March 2003.

The National Conference aims to give a broader spectrum of Iraqis a voice in the political process and increase the legitimacy of the interim government of Prime Minister Ayad Allawi (search), which is dependent on American troops and money even after the end of the U.S. occupation.

But the failure to put an end to uprising in the south by followers of radical Shiite cleric Muqtada al-Sadr (search) — along with the continued Sunni-led insurgency elsewhere — threatens to undermine the conference.

Dozens of explosions from tank shells and mortars as well as constant small arms fire shook Najaf's vast cemetery, where fighters from al-Sadr's Mahdi Army militias have been battling U.S. troops amid the tombs since the violence first broke out here Aug. 5.

U.S. troops who had been amassing at a nearby base rolled into the area around Najaf's Old City, the Mahdi Army's stronghold, in the morning hours. The new fighting ended the quiet that the city had seen since Friday as truce talks were underway.

An explosion, believed to be from a tank round, landed near the outer wall of the compound housing the revered Imam Ali Shrine (search), the militants' informal headquarters and Iraq's holiest Shiite site, said al-Sadr aide Ahmed al-Shaibany. "The shrine was not hit," he said.

Three days of negotiations to end the standoff fell apart Saturday, when government negotiators called the talks fruitless. Al-Sadr representatives said the sides had agreed on a cease-fire deal before Allawi personally intervened to quash it
Old 08-15-2004, 04:08 PM   #3
Lurikeen
Freaky

SO? Where is the news on the assault of the mosque?
Old 08-15-2004, 06:51 PM   #4
Kanjien

All you pathetic armchair warriors make me laugh.
Old 08-15-2004, 07:08 PM   #5
FanonFaythunder
ThreadKiller, Bitches

Send a message via ICQ to FanonFaythunder Send a message via AIM to FanonFaythunder
Whatever it is, don't say the word "sensitive."

No, I don't play... except when I do.
FanonFaythunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004, 07:08 PM   #6
Chiteng
Supporter

Originally Posted by Kanjien
I dont recall seeing you at Pleiku in 65.
Get back to us when you grow some hair.

Voltaire

'For those with faith, no proof is needed. For those without faith, no proof is enough'

French Priest
Old 08-15-2004, 09:24 PM   #7
Lurikeen
Freaky

Where in Najaf are you?
Old 08-15-2004, 09:34 PM   #8
Zolspaz

Originally Posted by Lurikeen
SO? Where is the news on the assault of the mosque?
Put on your Chicken Foot T-shirt and go find out. Still the same old policy huh?
I want it NOW! /Lurikeen fall's to the floor kicking and screeming

God Bless America
Zolspaz.
Zolspaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004, 09:52 PM   #9
Lurikeen
Freaky

Originally Posted by Zolspaz
Put on your Chicken Foot T-shirt and go find out. Still the same old policy huh?
I want it NOW! /Lurikeen fall's to the floor kicking and screeming

God Bless America
Zolspaz.
Did you fix the hair dryer you were working on? Tell you what, shitsicle licker, why don't you ship your own ass to the front line of Najaf and tell us what it is like??
Old 08-15-2004, 11:55 PM   #10
Zolspaz

Tell you what, shitsicle licker, why don't you ship your own ass to the front line of Najaf and tell us what it is like??
You, like most other fucking shit brick anti-Kerry cumsuckers,

butt-fucking your mothers,

have chosen to ignore the links so you could suck your dad's ball sack instead.
Sticks and stones Lurikeen.

Why should I? You seem to be the finest arm-chair-General on the board.
What's holding you back besides your indiscretions? What happened to you're
support of the human shields wearing the chicken feet Tee's?

GOD BLESS AMERICA
Zolmaz Zo'Boto..
Old 08-16-2004, 02:16 AM   #11
Zolspaz

Mad Mortar-men Goose Chase
Today we drove around somewhere to do something. All of us in the back of the vehicle brought a book to
read during this ride. I brought George Orwell's, Homage To Catalonia tome.

The New York Times refers to it as "perhaps the best book that exists on the Spanish Civil War." Our
Combat Medic brought a thick ass book called The History Of Western Philosophy, and the other two
brought a George Carlin book and the other a paperback vampire ghosts and goblins Ann Rice novel.

The Medic was telling us that Ann Rice novels all have suggestive "gay" overtones to them. I've never read
Ann Rice so I wouldn't know, nor do I care. To me books on Vampires are right up there with Sci-Fi
romance novels. Not my cup of tea. I got a lot of good reading done on this ride, when all the sudden we all
heard a loud explosion, which made all of us stop reading and bookmark our places to find out what's going
on.

Over the radio, they said a huge air burst mortar went off over the FOB. Then a couple minutes later, the
FOB got hit with four mortar rounds.

We had a Pvt from Minnesota up in the back air guard hatch, and he shouted down to us that he heard the
direction from where the mortars were fired from, so we turned the vehicles around and headed full speed
to that direction.

I asked him if he wanted to trade places from the airguard hatch, just in case we come into contact. He just
smiled at me and confidently said, "I got this one." Cool. We were now in hot pursuit to catch some crazed
mortar men.

So I opened up my book and continued reading. I was on page 92, the part where Orwell was frantically
chasing down a fascist with a bayonet fixed to the end of his rifle. Read for a bit, then when we got to the
area where we thought was the point of orgin for those fired mortars, I stopped reading and bookmarked
my place in the book, and we dismounted in this really third world area of Mosul that had this really bad
stench of rotten milk lingering in the air.

Tons of trash littered all over the place, and a bunch of cows and stray chickens roaming around freely. Lots
of little kids also came out of nowhere to stare at us.

We talked to some of the locals to see if they saw or seen anything. Then something happened, and well all
raced back onto our vehicle and burned rubber outta there.

And we were now in hot pursuit of these mad mortar men the same way a cop races to an armed robber call
in his police car. I opened up my book and continued to read. That fascist, that Orwell was chasing down
with a bayonet fixed rifle, got away from him, and I was now at the part where Orwell injured some guys
with a grenade of sorts, and was ready to kick some serious ass, when all the sudden we stopped suddenly,
and I had to close the book back up because the back ramp dropped and we were told to dismount.

We had a car pulled over to the side of the road with four middle aged Iraqi men inside, all wearing that
white traditional dress thing that they wear.

These guys were extremely co-operative and they gladly let us search their vehicle, we didn't find shit,
then we searched this other car, didn't find shit in that one either. Then we loaded back up and went
somewhere, and then we stopped and dismounted.

We were now in the same area where a couple months ago we had a mounted patrol through here, and we
were driving around slowly, and we were the trail vehicle, and my AG and I were sticking out of the back
air guard hatches.

And we were being followed by literally 100's of little kids, they were hooting and hollering, clapping and
saying stuff in Arabic. So my AG looks over at me and with a mischievous smile says, "Watch this!" and then
he starts chanting: "U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!" over and over again, next thing you know all these little kids,
100's of them, started chanting U-S-A!! Over and over again, each time a little loader.

We were both laughing and thought this was all funny until I saw the reaction on the older people faces on
the side of the road.

They didn't look too thrilled about that, once I immediately noticed that, I said, "Dude, that's not cool! Make
them stop yelling that shit!" But it was too late, these kids were having too much fun chanting U-S-A!

Next thing you know I saw an older middle eastern lady wearing all black pick up a rock and throw it at us,
which of course started a huge chain reaction of rock throwing at us. We got out of that neighborhood in a
hurry after that.

Lesson learned.

Anyways, we were now back in the same neighborhood where the infamous U-S-A incident took place. We
dismounted and searched another car, didn't find shit again. Tons of stray kids hanging out on the street
corners here observing us with a watchful eye.

Like I said before, every kid here in Iraq looks like those kids you see on those TV commercials where
they say "for only .99 cents a day you can help feed this starving child". A real low income part of Mosul.

My Sqd Ldr was trying to talk to a crowd of little kids, asking them if they saw or heard anything, and while
he was asking them this one kid comes running up to us with an old empty brass 105 artillery shell, and then
this other kid comes running up to us with another expired artillery shell.

Both demanded money for their discovery. "Give me Dollar!" they said.

Then this other kid came running over to us with an RPG fin and a handful of dirty .50 cal bullets. These
kids were just finding this crap off the streets.

Amazing.

Then all the sudden this really skinny Iraqi kid comes running up to us with a fucking HAND GRANADE in
his hand. "HOLY SHIT!!! DROP THE FUCKIN HAND GRANADE!!! DROP IT NOW!!!"

We all started yelling! The little kid, still with this proud smile on his face that said, "Look what I just found"
just dropped the grenade on the ground, and walked over to my squad leader and said, "Give me money!"

It was an old pineapple grenade that was all dirty and rusty, it looked like something left over from the Iran
Iraq war. We asked him where he found it at, and innocently he pointed to this old abandoned house that
was in the middle of a field that looked like a junkyard.

We secured the area, and searched the house. Didn't find shit.

Then the kids pointed to another house, this one owned by a wife beater undershirt wearing Iraqi with a
massive facial beard and more body hair than teen wolf.

We searched his house, again didn't find shit. Finally four blue and white ICP trucks showed up packed with
Iraqi Police dressed in blue khakis and strapped with AK47's.

They dismounted and asked where the hand grenade was, we pointed to them to where it was and they
went over, picked it up, and they like kinda laughed at us, like "You're kidding, you guys called us over
here for this?!" I could hear one ICP say in broken English, "This, No-good."

They took the grenade and drove off. And we did the same. My Sqd Ldr then explained to me that when
the 101st was here they would give the little kids in that area money and/or MRE's if they found weapons
and UXO, which is why every time when they see US Forces they always drag over shit like that and say,
"Give me! Give me!"

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil,
but because of those who look on and do nothing" -Albert Einstein

This is a daily blog from an actual Soldier in Iraq. Imagine that!
http://cbftw.blogspot.com/

God Bless America
Zolmaz.
Old 08-16-2004, 05:27 AM   #12
Kanjien

I spent my time and more...21 years...doing what was needed. That still doesn't give me the right to second guess the guys on the ground...or those in charge. Must be nice to sit in your high and mighty all knowing chairs and think you know better than anyone else what needs to be done and how to do it. In reality it doesn't matter...no matter what way they go you will critisize anyway...that is your way. It seems to be your specialty.
Old 08-16-2004, 09:06 AM   #13
Chiteng
Supporter

Doing what was needed? Sitting on your ass in Germany?
Or Korea?

'In a Democracy, it is a sin to remain silent, when it is your duty to protest.' - Tomas Jefferson.

No Bush wont get a free ride. Not from me.

Voltaire

French Priest
Old 08-16-2004, 09:30 AM   #14
Lurikeen
Freaky

Must be nice to sit in your high and mighty all knowing chairs and think you know better than anyone else what needs to be done and how to do it. In reality it doesn't matter...no matter what way they go you will critisize anyway...that is your way. It seems to be your specialty.
Aparently you are sitting in that chair. Read your quote again and try to figure out why. Don't strain a nut over it though.

I like Chiteng's quote of Jefferson...

'In a Democracy, it is a sin to remain silent, when it is your duty to protest.' - Tomas Jefferson.

You could learn something form that, Kan.
Old 08-16-2004, 09:40 AM   #15
Rheaton

Aparently you are sitting in that chair. Read your quote again and try to figure out why. Don't strain a nut over it though.

I like Chiteng's quote of Jefferson...

You could learn something form that, Kan.
WHO the heel is "Tomas Jefferson"?
"But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned." (1st Corinthians 2:14)
:9

Last edited by Rheaton; 08-16-2004 at 11:20 AM.
Rheaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 09:44 AM   #16
Segis

We'll take the mosque if we have no other option. Its a national shrine and one of the Islamic "Holy of Holies". Standard ROE is to use all alternate means available to avoid damaging/destroying this type of building until those means have been exhausted.

Doesn't mean we won't use selective precision engagement and the like though...
Segis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 09:59 AM   #17
Lurikeen
Freaky

Originally Posted by Rheaton
Why the heel is "Tomas Jefferson"?
U r trded
Old 08-16-2004, 11:37 AM   #18
Rheaton

U r trded
Well kiss my blessed dipthong!

aint perfect
"But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned." (1st Corinthians 2:14)
Old 08-16-2004, 11:56 AM   #19
Kanjien

Never been to Germany or Korea actually...but then again where I served doesn't really matter as I am not the one trying to second guess and critisize the way the Marines are choosing to fight this battle. I am sure a year in Vietnam made you an expert in Military combat tactics and Middle East Politics...actually I think 4 months is all that is really required.
Old 08-16-2004, 12:34 PM   #20
Scalz

Ok we are not going to attack this mosque because it is the holiest sight of the Shiite sect of Islam. To damage this mosque with our weapons would cause a huge uproar not only in iraq, but Iran as well(not that i really care). Rumor has it that Al-Sadr has the whole mosque wired with explosives, to be able to make it look like it was destroyed by American/Iraqi national forces.

We can go a long way with respect in Iraq if we can get out of this situation by not destroying this mosque. I think we need to bring in a shit load of journalists to watch the Shrine. this way if Al-Sadr does blow up the Mosque we have irrefutable proof that we were not the ones to do it.

Also I would not object one bit of dropping some gas (take your pick) into the place and kill every single one of em. Solves the whole problem in my eyes.

The again im another arm chair general/U.S citizen, and do not have a credible opinion on our military forces.
Scalz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 12:37 PM   #21
ShardmoonVer.1

And reprising the role made famous by Sam Kennison in the Rodney Dangerfield classic movie Back To School.... its Chiteng.
Old 08-16-2004, 12:52 PM   #22
Sakkath

I'm certainly not professing to be an armchair general, but perhaps one of you more qualified lazyboy 4 star's can answer this.

Given the (IMO sensible) aim to avoid damaging the mosque, just what is the problem with firing canisters full of hydrogen-cyanide(or similar) in to the place? Or use the gas the Russians used to save (most) of the 800 hostages in a russian theatre last year if you don't want to kill them all.

Doubt they'd even have time to hit the explosives after smelling the sweet almonds.
Sakkath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 01:12 PM   #23
Lurikeen
Freaky

Originally Posted by Sakkath
Given the (IMO sensible) aim to avoid damaging the mosque, just what is the problem with firing canisters full of hydrogen-cyanide(or similar) in to the place?
It would look pretty bad if we did a chemical attack on the mosque. Right?
Old 08-16-2004, 01:29 PM   #24
Vireil
Disturbing the force

Don't forget that there are now many civillians in the mosque. Should we gas a bunch of women and children just to get a few bad guys? I don't think it's such a good idea.
Vireil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 01:30 PM   #25
Rheaton

Originally Posted by Vireil
Don't forget that there are now many civillians in the mosque. Should we gas a bunch of women and children just to get a few bad guys? I don't think it's such a good idea.
You mean there is no sleeping gas or something we could vent in there?

How about get Reno to handle it like she did in Waco? Just mow the mutha down with a tank!