Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > NON EQ Stuff (Real life, other games, etc.) > Steam Vent

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2004, 01:57 PM   #1
chukzombi
The Undead Shaman

Default John Kerry: Kite Surfing>Hurricane Charley survivors

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,129010,00.html

Kerry Says He Won't Visit Hurricane Aftermath
Saturday, August 14, 2004

HOOD RIVER, Ore. Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry (search) does not plan to visit Florida in the aftermath of Hurricane Charley because he's concerned his campaign entourage could distract from recovery efforts, he said Saturday.

President Bush (search) plans a Sunday tour of areas hit by the hurricane. Bush declared a state of emergency at the request of his brother, Florida Gov. Jeb Bush (search), and Kerry said he supports their efforts.

Kerry said he has instructed his Florida campaign staff to provide food, clothing, shelter or other assistance to people whose lives have been disrupted by the hurricane.

"For the moment, our focus is on all of the police and response personnel necessary not being diverted from a visitor and really focusing on the recovery itself," Kerry said.

"Teresa and I are really thinking about those folks and our prayers and our thoughts are with them in the next hours," he said. "And we hope very, very much that the recovery can proceed as rapidly as possible and lives can be put back together."

Kerry spoke from the banks of the Columbia River 60 miles east of Portland, where he had planned to either kite surf or windsurf. But he said there was not enough wind for him to get on the water.

On Friday, Kerry ended a two-week coast-to-coast campaign trip with a rally in Portland, the largest city in the presidential battleground of Oregon.

Kerry left Hood River to continue on his vacation at his family home in Ketchum, Idaho. He told a group that gathered to watch him that he would return to Oregon Monday or Tuesday.

"Promise me some wind on Monday or Tuesday," Kerry said, standing on a low concrete wall overlooking the people on the banks. "More importantly, promise me some votes in November."

The last quote is my favorite,

"Promise me some wind on Monday or Tuesday," Kerry said, standing on a low concrete wall overlooking the people on the banks. "More importantly, promise me some votes in November."
I understand that Kerry is relaxing after a long campaign tour but godamn this is the worst tragedy to hit this country since 9/11 and he cant be bothered to leave his surfing to go visit it. I guess in John Kerry's view its only bad when you read to children for 7 minutes during an american tragedy than him spending the week surfing during an american tragedy.

Fucking ass.
Old 08-15-2004, 02:00 PM   #2
Hormadrune
Sociopathic bully?

Holy fucking reach.
Old 08-15-2004, 02:01 PM   #3
Hormadrune
Sociopathic bully?

Even better is the fact that if he did go, you'd likely have accused him of exploiting the tragedy for a photo op.
Old 08-15-2004, 02:09 PM   #4
LairdRagna

I agree with Kerry's decision not to go to Florida. He could offer nothing and would only get in the way. I applaud him for that.

I also think its a stretch to fault him for a little recreation. I however think he could have had the good sense to just lay low and out of the public eye - stay home with the family and watch a movie or something.. Its not his fault the media looks to report on anything to fill a hungry 24/7 news cycle, but it does look bad that he is out there goofing off while so many people are without power, homes destroyed, loved ones missing, etc. Times like this the best thing to do is offer moral support and fade into the shadows.

There is however no need to trash him over this, such a tragedy should be entirely devoid of politics. A reporter asked Bush today what would he say to those who would claim Florida was getting such quick and generous support because its Florida and an election year. What the fuck kind of question is that? Bush handled it well by saying the same people would probably criticize them if he didn't respond so quickly and with so much aid.

Bottom line, heal the country right now, lets not add partisanship to a tragedy.
LairdRagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004, 02:12 PM   #5
chukzombi
The Undead Shaman

If he did go i would not have been surprised and this thread wouldnt be. Kerry if you remember is the one claiming to be a uniter of americans, how exactly do you unite americans who suffered a major disaster on our soil 3000 miles away on banks of the Columbia River 60 miles east of Portland?
Old 08-15-2004, 02:19 PM   #6
chukzombi
The Undead Shaman

I agree with Kerry's decision not to go to Florida. He could offer nothing and would only get in the way. I applaud him for that.
I agree Kerry would not have had any active role in the cleanup, but at the same time either did Bush. However i disagree on your statement that Kerry 'could offer nothing' . My point is that Bush went becuase he wanted to offer moral support along with relief to survivors in a time of need, Kerry could have done the same for moral support, but he was more concerned about windsurfing. Selfish
Old 08-15-2004, 02:40 PM   #7
Abrucx

Originally Posted by chukzombi
I agree Kerry would not have had any active role in the cleanup, but at the same time either did Bush. However i disagree on your statement that Kerry 'could offer nothing' . My point is that Bush went becuase he wanted to offer moral support along with relief to survivors in a time of need, Kerry could have done the same for moral support, but he was more concerned about windsurfing. Selfish
Bush is the president, Kerry is running against him. It just looks like a ploy for publicity. This is really a stretch.
Old 08-15-2004, 03:41 PM   #8
AresProphet
Priest of Hiroshima

Send a message via MSN to AresProphet
Yeah, this is pretty pointless Chuk. Kerry instructed his Florida campaign offices to help survivors with shelter, food, money; what is the presence of one more politician going to do?

Frankly the president shouldn't even have to visit disaster sites. Bush has promised aid to the victims, and it doesnt matter much if Bush himself is there. Sure, it's a nice gesture, but that's about where it ends.
No-one cares enough

Attachment 181
AresProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004, 06:07 PM   #9
FanonFaythunder
ThreadKiller, Bitches

Send a message via ICQ to FanonFaythunder Send a message via AIM to FanonFaythunder
Kerry's reps said he has plans to visit Florida this week after things have started to calm down and whatnot. No source, heard it on ABC evening news last night during the Charley report.

No, I don't play... except when I do.
FanonFaythunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004, 09:48 PM   #10
Xerion

Originally Posted by chukzombi
My point is that Bush went becuase he wanted to offer moral support along with relief to survivors in a time of need
Seems like Bush was the one in need of "moral support." Oh lookie! I visited your debris-covered asses so now ya betta vote for me, ya hear?!
Xerion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004, 10:30 PM   #11
chukzombi
The Undead Shaman

Nope, President Bush did the right thing, lets assume you have friends Xerion, i know thats a real stretch but lets try it anyway. Say one of your friends has a death in their family, you go the funeral to pay your respects and to offer a shoulder in a time of crisis. That is what Bush did and it was the corect thing. John Kerry was too busy working on his tan to be bothered with some peasants in Florida living in a trailer park. John Kerry is on vacation and he couldnt be bothered with anyone but John Kerry.

Another thing i found funny about that quote in the article
"Promise me some wind on Monday or Tuesday," Kerry said, standing on a low concrete wall overlooking the people on the banks. "More importantly,
Will congress be open those days? why doesnt John Kerry or John Edwards who took a vacation from the tour last week show up for their jobs as Senator? Oh wait hes too busy surfing err campaigning uh yeah.

promise me some votes in November."
I promise youll get as much as you give.
Old 08-15-2004, 11:26 PM   #12
Xerion

Yeah, you're really stretching it Chuk.You and me, we're ordinary people who have absolutely nothing to gain if we go to funerals to pay respects -- genuine respect. Bush on the other hand, a POLITICIAN, is just using this to boost his ratings. We've seen him kissing babies, being involved in military exercises etc. and all this for what? So the American public can see what a caring (OMG! He kissed my baby!!) and outgoing (OMG! He landed on an aircraft carrier) person he really is.

If Kerry becomes President (IF, since he missed out on the visit to the hurricane aftermath and would probably lose a ton of votes ), we would see him doing the same damn thing, just to increase popularity. Politics is just that anyway, a huge fucking popularity contest. And in a way, you're right Chuk. Bush DID do the right thing. The right thing in securing his place in the Oval Office.
Xerion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004, 11:40 PM   #13
Zolspaz

Bush is doing his job, Kerry isn't.

Can anyone here tell me how Kerry is doing his job after missing so
many votes? Isn't he supposed to be running a state?

God Bless America
Z..
Zolspaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 06:15 AM   #14
FanonFaythunder
ThreadKiller, Bitches

Send a message via ICQ to FanonFaythunder Send a message via AIM to FanonFaythunder
Bush is just scared because everybody criticized his daddy for doing jack shit for Florida in the weeks following Andrew. Sure he showed up, looked around, did a couple of press conferences and whatnot, but he was still widely criticised... hmmm. I guess just being there really doesn't help, does it?

Old 08-16-2004, 06:23 AM   #15
FanonFaythunder
ThreadKiller, Bitches

Little source action for you:

Bush Declaring Parts of Florida Disaster Area (Update1)
Aug. 13 (Bloomberg) -- President George W. Bush will allow four counties in Florida to qualify for federal disaster relief funds, White House spokesman Scott McClellan told reporters as Hurricane Charley slammed into Florida's west coast.

The most powerful hurricane to hit the U.S. since Hurricane Andrew in 1992, Charley may cost insurers more than $15 billion. Bush's disaster declaration will allow individuals in Charlotte, Lee, Manatee and Sarasota counties to seek aid.

The Federal Emergency Management Agency already has sent disaster supply kits filled with tarps, plywood and water to Florida in an effort to lessen damage from Charley, FEMA director Michael Brown said. ``We're really in good shape to respond to this particular disaster,'' Brown said in an interview with Bloomberg Television.

The administration's response may become a political issue for Bush as it did for his father when Hurricane Andrew hit south Florida, said Susan McManus, a professor of political science at the University of South Florida in Tampa.

After Hurricane Andrew, local officials accused President George H.W. Bush's administration of moving too slowly with disaster aid. Following the criticism, the elder Bush announced he was mobilizing federal troops for disaster relief in Florida.

Any Delay Costly

``Any delay in aid, in the heat of the campaign, will cost a candidate dearly,'' McManus said. McClellan's told reporters of Bush's plan to help Florida after the president wrapped up a campaign appearance in Oregon.

Florida, with 27 electoral votes, determined the outcome of the 2000 election after the U.S. Supreme Court halted a recount in the state 36 days after the balloting, leaving Bush with a 537- vote margin over Democrat Al Gore.

Bush's Democratic rival, four-term Massachusetts Senator John Kerry, would get 47 percent support in Florida if the election were held now and the president would get 41 percent, an Aug. 5-10 poll by Hamden, Connecticut-based Quinnipiac University found. The survey had a 3 percentage-point error margin. The two candidates were tied at 43 percent each in a June Quinnipiac poll.

An American Research Group poll released last Friday also showed Kerry, 60, ahead of Bush, 58, in Florida.

Andrew's Toll

Hurricane Andrew caused $34.95 billion in damage to Florida and Louisiana, the most costly U.S. natural disaster, according to the National Hurricane Center. That included insured losses of $20.3 billion in today's dollars, according to the Insurance Information Institute.

Hurricane Andrew destroyed 63,000 homes in Florida and an estimated 180,000 were left homeless. Bush's chief of staff, Andrew Card, was Transportation secretary in 1992. Card took charge of coordinating hurricane disaster aid, the New York Times reported at the time.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/economy/usgovernment.html

Old 08-16-2004, 02:09 PM   #16
Festivus

Isn't he supposed to be running a state?
Uh, no, he is supposed to be representing it. Running it would be the job of the Governer and state legislature. Just the same you are right, he has missed a ton of votes.

no images!
Festivus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 02:29 PM   #17
chukzombi
The Undead Shaman

So lets see why we are voting again.

Bush made a mistake in Iraq, didnt create jobs for people even though thats not his job to do and he didnt stop 9/11

Kerry, lied about his vietnam record, has a creepy wife, has a huge ego problem agreed with Bush for war then disagreed then agreed and is claiming to raise cash for all his whacky campaign promises by using more energy efficent lightbulbs in the white house?

That about right?
Old 08-16-2004, 02:45 PM   #18
Sakkath

nope, you're voting because the constitution lays out a democratic process that must be gone through periodically to (re)elect a president
Sakkath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 03:16 PM   #19
Xanthaar
Toon Army

I'm not much of a fan of Bush, but IMO he did the right thing in visiting the victims. Bush is the leader of the United States; it would be the only decent thing to do, to at least look supportive when his people need that support.

Kerry isn't president, so it could be argued that he doesn't have the same obligation. He's in a position though, where it could look exploitive if he did visit the victims and callous if he didn't. It would probably have looked better if he just stayed out of the limelight.

I do think it was really stupid and insensitive of Kerry to actually say that he wished for wind, when people have suffered a hurricane however. Not very tactful...

Geordie News
Xanthaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 06:14 PM   #20
Maximus Faticus

I also think its a stretch to fault him for a little recreation.
Seems to be doing a awfull lot of that. NASA, The Grand Canyon, now windsurfing in Portland? I wonder what else he's been doing, other then his job in DC?
Maximus Faticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 08:06 PM   #21
bumbleroot

Kerry did the right thing in this case. He publicly supported Bush for doing his job as President. For you to try to turn this tragedy into something political is the travesty. There are dead Americans and all you can do is try to make politics of it. That is despicable. At the very least, Kerry knew to rise above the politics in this case, unlike you.
bumbleroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 10:04 PM   #22
chukzombi
The Undead Shaman

I take my lessons fom you Mumbles, by your logic not going there would be ignoring florida to fuck off on the beach. I wonder if those homeless floridians worry about Kerry getting some extra wind for his sail when they dig through the rubble that was once their home.
Old 08-17-2004, 04:50 AM   #23
bumbleroot

Just so you know Chuk, my family is in Lakeland Florida. They sat through this storm while I was on vacation in NYC. It worried me as the eye at one time was heading right towards them.
For you to make politics out of this is ridiculous. Bush did the job that he was expected to do. If he didn't (like his father before him) he would have been criticized. However, he did and was commended for doing so. The case is closed. And just so you know, there isn't a damned thing Kerry can do by going down there other than to use it for politics and that is entirely wrong. For him to commend the prez is right and for him to support the prez is right. For you to use a tragedy for politics is ridiculous. And what's worse is for you to say you took the idea from me. This is your doing in your sick mind, not my doing. You don't give a shit about the people in Florida as long as you get a political jab at people.
As I said, my family rode this out- the winds at their house were clocked at 115 mph (since they live across the street from the airport). I had genuine concerns for them and their home. A lot of the places that I grew up around and used to travel to are destroyed. I have great concern for the people down in Fla in this case. You have shown nothing but callousness. You are a stain of a human being by trying to turn this tragedy into some personal political agenda.
In fact, I think you ought to apologize in this case for trying to turn this tragedy into a political agenda because you are way out of line.
Old 08-17-2004, 04:56 AM   #24
Rheaton

Originally Posted by bumbleroot
For him to commend the prez is right and for him to support the prez is right.
Kerry critisized the prez for getting in the way of first responders.... hardly a "commendment".
"But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned." (1st Corinthians 2:14)
:9
Rheaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 05:02 AM   #25
bumbleroot

Oh really? Show me where he did this.