Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > EverQuest > Chit-Chat Lounge

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2003, 06:52 PM   #1
Perceival

Send a message via AIM to Perceival
Default NVIDIA vs ATI

Thoughts? I'm looking into getting a new vid card, anyone know of any issues with the new ATI cards, I remember people screaming bloody hell about the bugs a few months ago.

thanks
Perc

Last edited by Perceival; 05-22-2003 at 07:14 PM.
Perceival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2003, 07:17 PM   #2
darue_ivywood

In a nutshell

Nvidia--
good software drivers
good hardware

ATI--
shitty software drivers
superior hardware

allthough, I have seen ATI coming around on their driver issues...its whether or not they can keep that progression.

I have Nvidia personally..got tired of imcompatibility with ATI software(drivers).
darue_ivywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2003, 10:25 PM   #3
Lurkerr
Mr. Helpful

Got an ATI Radeon 9700 Pro last week... could not be happier.

I downloaded the catalyst 3.4 drivers and have been able to run every game with max settings flawlessly. PlanetSide looks absolutely beautiful.

I've actually had better luck with this card than every GeForce card I've ever owned (4 in total). Nvidia can suck my ass.
Lurkerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2003, 10:31 PM   #4
Saraquael

Send a message via ICQ to Saraquael Send a message via AIM to Saraquael Send a message via MSN to Saraquael Send a message via Yahoo to Saraquael
ATI has really changed for the better recently. Their drivers are actually pretty good now and they do come out regularly.

I was a die hard Nvidia supporter for a while (back with the TNT2 Ultra through the Geforce 3), but I currently have a 9700 pro and have no regrets about it.
Old 05-22-2003, 10:33 PM   #5
Vaalik

Send a message via AIM to Vaalik
it's like Intel vs AMD

both have good and bad points, it's personal preference now
Old 05-22-2003, 10:39 PM   #6
Antheus/Arclite

While the driver issue is not a myth, it is oftentimes blown completely out of proportion. ATI had major driver issues previously, particularly with the 8500, but since then has come a long way.

Darue sums it up for the most part though, but i wouldn't use the term "shitty" for the ATI drivers. More like decent.

Hardware-wise ATI is definitely superior at the moment, and they have totally owned nVidia the past year. It really depends what you're looking for and what you have. If you're running a 900 MHZ celeron or whatever, then high end video cards are going to make minimal difference in performance due to a CPU bottleneck.
Antheus/Arclite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2003, 11:21 PM   #7
Pankeleonn

Send a message via AIM to Pankeleonn
It all depends on your motherboard.

ATI sucks shit. I will never buy another ATI card again after this Radeonn 9700 i bought.

They got a bunch of monkey fuckers making their drivers for them.

Nividia all the way. I would have a geforce right now but they are getting a little sloppy with thier hardware. Nividia drivers = GOD

In short Nividia > ATI

Software drivers mean everything.
Old 05-23-2003, 12:32 AM   #8
Laoke

Not quite -everything- Pank. I use a Shuttle XPC case & motherboard... it's about the size of a large shoebox. The new NVidia cards are too large to actually fit inside it.

In short, I'd agree with most of the points so far. The hardware seems to be shading towards ATI at the moment, at least from a performance for dollar mark. However, the ATI drivers have traditionally been the weak link in their systems. If I had the choice of any of the options, irrespective of whether it would fit in my system or not? NVidia. Relibility = god as far as I'm concerned.

That being said, for the above reasons, once Doom 3 and Halflife 2 come out I'll likely be upgrading to an ATI card unless the top-line NVidia cards stop being such space hogs.

Laoke
Laoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2003, 04:47 AM   #9
Trech

Send a message via MSN to Trech
Depend depend depend. It doesnt depend on anything. Go to tomshardware or hardocp for some heavy benchmark results. If money is no object then ATI puts out the best cards on the market atm.
Trech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2003, 05:36 AM   #10
chukzombi
The Undead Shaman

I like my radeon much better than my nvidia.
I never experianced the driver problems others have, but i got so paranoid about that i kept the same drivers so i wouldnt fuck my shit up with an updated one.
chukzombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2003, 06:52 AM   #11
Nire

Send a message via AIM to Nire Send a message via MSN to Nire
Nvidia has always had good hardware, stable drivers. Up until just recently, ATI has always had shitty drivers and inferior hardware. Their latest realeases have (and continue to be) the best cards on the market. The drivers are also rock solid. The real question is: Can ATI keep up the driver development and stay ahead of Nvidia in the next generation.

From a business standpoint, Nvidia still has thel lions share of the market, that could change if ATI continues to release quality cards.
Old 05-23-2003, 08:27 AM   #12
Inmountains

I can get a GEForce 4200 for $110.00. I am running on an AMD motherboard, and AMD 2000 processor. Is there a better ATI card for this price range?
Inmountains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2003, 08:45 AM   #13
Kerryn

The question is not so much ATi vs nVidia but who has the best card at the price I can afford.

To answer Inmountains question at the price range you're in you won't get much better then the Ti4200. It is widely renowned as the best value card on the market. That said spend a little extra if you can on the SE version.

At the top of the line at the moment the ATi hardware is looking better but they still have compatability problems and they still have driver issues. Now it is blown out of proportion because they have trouble with about 1% of the games. But what happens when you're looking forward to a game for about 6 months and you find your ATi card doesn't like it.

Is the slight increase in framerate really worth the possible dissapointment of finding your game doesn't like ATi. If not then buy a GeForce.

If the answer is yes the dissapointment if worth it consider if you can actually spot the difference. Since the human eye doesn't see anything faster then about 83 frames a second, do you really care your ATi can play at 6521? If the answer is no, then buy a GeForce.

Then remember that whilst ATi is steadily getting better, nVidia have been ruling the roost since 3DFX gave up the ghost. As such there are a lot of companies (including Blizzard & SoE if you're looking at upcoming MMORPGs ) who work hand in hand with nVidia to get the most out of their games.

At the middle end of the market, ( GeForce 3, Radeon 8500 ) there is no real argument. The nVidia hardware is better in that range and they still win in stability stakes.

I'm clearly biased though and won't touch an ATI for a long time to come.
Kerryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2003, 09:45 AM   #14
Inmountains

Kerryn
When you talk about the 4200Ti SE, are you referring to the 2X/4X vs the 8X?????
Inmountains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2003, 02:14 PM   #15
Antheus/Arclite

Actually, the 9500/9500 Pro run about 50 dollars more than the 4200 128's and for the most part run better than the ti4600's...

Also i'd say the middle end of the market nowadays is the 9500 and the 4200 rather than the GF3 and 8500.

Regarding the whole "human eye doesnt see bla bla bla" stuff, faster cards dont just mean better frame rates. Faster cards mean you have the ability to crank up the settings and run games with anti-aliasing and anistropic filtering, which make them look a hell of a lot better. The slight frame rate really doesnt matter, but ATI's new cards blow their nVidia counterparts away when AA/AF are turned on.

Regarding companies working in conjunction with nVidia, are you aware that John Carmack (co-founder of ID software) has been working incredibly closely with ATI in developing doom 3 because the hardware is far superior to that of nVidia's? Granted they work with nVidia as well, but regardless it's a moot point because game developers have always worked closely with video card developers because if you dont then you completely alienate almost half of your player-base...

Pank is right as well that sometimes it does depend on your motherboard...but sometimes it's your motherboard that's a piece of shit, not the card...
Old 05-23-2003, 02:41 PM   #16
Pankeleonn

All this talk about radeonn 9500 and below being better than geforces ti4600 and below is bull shit. Geforce has always been better up until now and im still trying to figure out why they waited so long with the FX's.. and then why they rushed them and made them like crap.

ATIs drivers being stable? That's a load of cock shit. I had to reinstall and reconfigure my 9700 drivers about 5 times each time i update the son of a bitch and games still can't run at maximum specs. Also the refresh rate of the card sucks compared to geforce drivers.. i can get 240 on a geforce adn only 120 with a radeonn driver.
Old 05-23-2003, 03:00 PM   #17
Abrucx

9500 Pro does outperform the ti4600, not to mention it is cheaper as well. And, just because your particular hardware, if that is the problem, doesn't work well with the card, it doesn't mean the card sucks.

I have a 9500 Pro and haven't been happier. I can run all my games with 4xAA/8xAF and get great (70-90, depending on the game and vertical refresh rate) fps. It only cost me 150$ too. Oh, and don't forget, the 9500 also has full support for DX9.0 games (Half-life 2/Doom 3) which the ti4600 and below does not.
Old 05-23-2003, 03:30 PM   #18
Kerryn

The simple fact still remains that even with Anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering most people wont spot the difference between the two brands.

I'm still going to put the GF3 and 8500 as mid range since there is an awful lot either side. Sure the purists amongst us ( myself included ) might want for better cards, the cards mentioned are still extremely respectable cards and the $50 increase your talking about to the 9500 is often as much as 50%. Thats not value for money when compared to the GF4 line.

Doom 3 is all well enough but the majority of the market is still working with nVidia.

Abrucx is in part right when he says it may be other components that drag the graphics card down but when those same motherboards dont drag the GF line down then you have to look for the common denominator.

Inmountains..I believe the 4200 SE is both 4x and 8x but aim for the 8x if you can.
Kerryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2003, 05:46 PM   #19
Langree

Send a message via AIM to Langree
I just installed a 9700 Pro, am VERY happy with it, nice to be able to run EQ with all models on and fx up during a raid. Was running a Radeon 7000 before. Which had replaced my Voodoo5.

You have been knocked unconcious!
You have been slain by a door!
Returning to home point, please wait...
LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
Langree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2003, 08:24 PM   #20
Antheus/Arclite

nVidia didnt "wait so long" for the FX to come out, they simply werent able to mass produce the line of cards as they had hoped to, and when they did release it it simply wasnt up to par. It's safe to say that ATI won that round of the graphics card war...

There is a common point which I agree with being that the ATI drivers are not as good as nVidia ones, but I certainly dont think they're shitty as some people say, and i think that over the next few years as the older motherboards and such that had major problems with ATI get weeded out the driver issue will be minimal.

Maybe you should update your bios? What motherboard you running?
Old 05-23-2003, 08:32 PM   #21
Pankeleonn

Everything on my comp is updated constantly.. i build pcs and repair them.