Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2003, 10:11 PM   #1
Daeth

Default Best compilation of WoW Info I've seen

http://pub106.ezboard.com/fpalomides...cID=5117.topic
Daeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2003, 10:21 PM   #2
Gloriana

-Languages will work like this: Orcs start out speaking only Orcish, any characters of another race's text will show up as converted text, and the same is true with another race seeing your text. You can learn other race's languages, but not easy.
Oooh, huge drawback for me.
Gloriana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2003, 11:33 PM   #3
Squar

Send a message via AIM to Squar
Just a warning...

Some of the info listed in that thread is not completely accurate. You know how word of mouth tends to distort the truth. =)
Squar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2003, 12:12 AM   #4
Azraelwrath

Looks good so far but I think they should have a bigger class selection.
SOE Interviewer: You're hired.
Azraelwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2003, 09:49 PM   #5
euge

I didn't read the post but I've heard that there was at least 5 classes per race...which makes it 30 classes. Isn't that enough?
euge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2003, 04:28 AM   #6
Gonada

Send a message via ICQ to Gonada
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

lol, throw a little realism into a game and people start to whine.
Gonada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2003, 05:32 AM   #7
chukzombi
The Undead Shaman

The only drawback i can find so far about this game is that those colors are a little too flaming for my tastes. Thats an issue i can overlook.

I hope they take their time finishing the game becuase if im going to quit eq for this i want it to be for good. i dont want to see my ass back after 2 months.
chukzombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2003, 09:12 AM   #8
Taevitus
Supporter

Send a message via Yahoo to Taevitus
Blizzard is approaching the graphics issue from a different angle than what most are used to. Personally the cartoon-like graphics are awesome, I get bored with games trying to push the envelope with realism. If I wanted to see 'real' people, I would go outside. Anyhow, on the "cartoon" graphics, here is rpg.com's take on it:

The graphics of the game provide Blizzard a distinct advantage. WoW uses Direct X 8 instead of the latest and greatest Direct X 9 technology so that those with aging video cards and laptops will be able to experience the game without loosing too many visual elements or experiencing graphic lag. Thus WoW should be the most consistent graphic experience of the MMORPGs to hit the market in the coming years. Blizzard can do this because the graphics of Warcraft do not attempt to be overly realistic. Warcraft's 3D models are stylistic and have been described as "cartoon like," a term that causes Mark discomfort. It is obviously a term that competing programmers use to play down Blizzard's success and belittle their technical achievement. But Blizzards sales show that they definitely understand what drives today's game player. And with the current popularity of anime, other game designers might want to take note. One of the benefits of stylistic graphics comes from what I like to call the Pixar effect. In the early days of film animation, most production companies pushed the realm of animation by trying to out tech the other picture. This produced scores of movies with bad plots and animation whose deficiencies would be picked apart as the animation technology progressed. Pixar however used stylized animation and a package called Renderman, an animation suite considered outdated by many in the industry. However, the limitation and stylization affected audiences in an interesting way. It allowed them to suspend their disbelief and immerse themselves in the story thus making Toy Story and other Pixar properties still watchable today. Mark recognized this concept. These days, it's the story stupid. Look at the successes of Max Payne and Half Life. While these games did have some cool tech elements, Bullet Time for Max Payne and the AI for Half Life, they used technology to tell and enhance the story and gameplay not as the prime selling point. And Blizzard definitely learned to tell a story in its Warcraft franchise.
We are the music makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams, Wandering by lone sea-breakers, And sitting by desolate streams; -- World-losers and world-forsakers, On whom the pale moon gleams: Yet we are the movers and shakers, Of the world for ever, it seems.

Taevitus A'Nimus
Taevitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2003, 09:39 AM   #9
darue_ivywood

I think that the graphics look awesome. Not real in the 'real world' sense, but of a style to fit the RPG. Would have to agree with Taev, if wanted to look at real people, would go outside.

one thing that struck me as funny though in that thread, was this guy bashing Blizzard becuase...

items were that ENTIRE GAME. items were what i did. to the tune of $6000+ on ebay. the night that the unique ballista and the hellslayer axe were first duped, i knew.

LOL..maybe Im reading this wrong, but this guy seems pissed because his RL money making venture was cut in half...

Heres a clue dude...Get A Job ! ..lol

Looking forward to this game.
darue_ivywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2003, 02:34 PM   #10
Tuan00Dorf

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

lol, throw a little realism into a game and people start to whine.
Yeah she was really whining wasn't she....... You're just looking to start a leet flame I guess.

I think not being able to talk to people is a valid reason to call it a drawback (assuming it's even true and not some word of mouth thing, which I think it is just that).
Old 05-22-2003, 04:52 PM   #11
CrypteXY
Banned User

Send a message via AIM to CrypteXY
I've heard alot of people hint something towards the idea of team seperation but says its happening in different ways. Not being able to talk/group/whatever with certain people is a major drawback.

Think about everyone your friends with in Everquest. How many of them place a race opisite to yours? ie, your a High Elf they're a dark elf, your a dwarf they're an ogre. Now think if you couldnt talk to them. That would cut down who you know pretty substancialy I'd think.
CrypteXY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2003, 05:14 PM   #12
Perceival

Send a message via AIM to Perceival
I don't think having language barriers is going to be that big of deal. I'll bet that they made language barriers to try and *bind* the like forces together so to speak. In the beginning of the game anyway, after a week or so of playing you should be a master in most of the languages anyway.

Generally speaking, aren't orcs and humans supposed to hate each other? So why would orcs speak english, and why would humans speak orcish? It makes sense to me. Why don't I speak German, or Russian or Arabic? Because I don't live there, I don't talk to people from there ect.

That said, it will probably just turn out to be a pain sometimes, but it does at to the realism a bit IMO. I'm pretty sure that they just want you to group with people of your own race at the beginning.

Perc
Old 05-22-2003, 06:39 PM   #13
Evyla

Originally posted by darue_ivywood
I think that the graphics look awesome. Not real in the 'real world' sense, but of a style to fit the RPG. Would have to agree with Taev, if wanted to look at real people, would go outside.

one thing that struck me as funny though in that thread, was this guy bashing Blizzard becuase...

LOL..maybe Im reading this wrong, but this guy seems pissed because his RL money making venture was cut in half...

Heres a clue dude...Get A Job ! ..lol

Looking forward to this game.
Heyas Dar.../wave

Although the other poster sold game items in RL, it doesn't change the fact that everything he said was absolutely true. Blizzard's total lack of action against exploiters/dupers ruined the game.

I played D1 and D2. I loved them both until they were ruined by a broken.....no. DEMOLISHED....economy caused by dupeing/exploiting.

The economy of D2 was bad enough from the start since the in-game coin had NO value to start with. It fell like rain. I could make millions in a few days simply by playing the game normally. Therefore, the economy soon began to revolve around a somewhat rare ring (aka Stone of Jordan. aka SOJ) that dropped or was won by gambling with an NPC.

What happened to ruin everything... someone found a way to show what items you would win each round in the gambling window, therefore, if a player saw that the winning item for a gambling round was not an SOJ, he would simply cancel the gamble round and try again until he was guaranteed to win an SOJ. After MONTHS and MONTHS of this being common practice, Blizzard finally took action and stopped it by moving the gamble info server side. However, by that time the market was flooded by anyone who had known the trick. Those of us who didn't were SOL because with the missive influx of SOJ on the market, they lost almost all value. Items which had previously sold for 1 or 2 SOJ were demanding a price of 20 or 30 SOJ. There were ppl who had never even found 1 SOJ in months of playing. They had NO hope of ever affording an item on the open market. Life sucked for a while, but as people found items and sold them on the market at the overly inflated prices, things started looking like they might even out and be ok.......but nooooooOOOOO

Then the dupers came in. I don't even know how dupeing was done to be honest. I have read about how it had to do with 2 ppl logging on the same account or some such but it's neither here nor there. Anyhow, ppl found out and found out FAST. Items started showing up on the market by the hundreds that had previously only been myth and legend. At the time I left, the ONLY thing that Blizzard had done to combat dupeing was to delete all but 1 of any duped item that everyone had in their inventory. IOW, they made duped items a bastardized version of LORE. IOW people who had worked hard playing fairly to find and sell items got screwed right in the pooper when the duped SOJs they were given in trade for their honestly found items just went POOF from their inventory.

AFAIK, that is all that was ever done. Blizzard had the know how to fix the gambling exploit early on, but sat on their butts and did nothing for far too long. They had the know how to identify duped items from the start. They had the power to delete duped items. They had the know how to identify who had duped them, and the power to ban those people. However, they did basically NOTHING.

Not to mention, Blizzard totally revamped the entire game when the ex-pac came out and made the game nearly impossible to play, due to over-powered MOBs, by anyone who didn't own the ex-pac. This was obviously done to force people to buy the ex-pac if they wanted to continue playing...

/rude Blizzard and /rude the horse they rode in on.

I'm sure my $40 + $12 a month won't hurt them, and I suspect with the service being a pay as you play system, things will be better. But they won't get my money none the less. I have grown to hate the way they do business (or don't do business as the case my be).

--
Evyla 61st Necro

Last edited by Evyla; 05-22-2003 at 06:49 PM.
Evyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2003, 07:37 PM   #14
darue_ivywood

heyya Evy /waves

the problem you have there, is the fact you can play a game (any game for that matter) client side. In other words, if you can play it stand alone, or server - client interaction which the player can control both. With this ability the player can then set up packet sniffers, hex editors, etc etc that can be used to hack at it. All it takes in that instance is time.

With a server side only type game (such as EQ)..yes their can be cheats and hacks, but for the most part the 'script kiddies' are a thing of the past. Also, with any server side type play..most certainly the developers should be able to track progress much more closely and ban hackers and the like.

I remember way back when in EQ there was a dupe hack. Not sure the full extent on it, (im sure others here can elaborate more) but basically from my understanding, the peoples that were doing it were in fact banned and the game was fixed so that particular program couldnt be used.

Any game/software/program/hardware etc can be manipulated. I would think if people were paying for a service, there would be stricter guidelines along those measures. I dont remember having to pay to play diablo online. And as such, yea..I quit too after the cheats ran rampant.

but, I will admit...I personally like the titles blizzard has came out with.
darue_ivywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2003, 07:57 PM   #15
CrypteXY
Banned User

Send a message via AIM to CrypteXY
Diablo was cool for a while but I cant stand games with the same type of item generator anymore. Shadowbane was like that, if a weapon had a word like "Massive" in the name it did stamina dmg and every quality of the weapon was seen in the name. It gives weapons no unique value. I remmber the first time I saw a wyrmslayer and almost shit a brick, then Inny's Curse, and so on. In the end I found the game cool in order to get gear...to, well....look cool.

And realism in a mmorpg isnt something I look for.
CrypteXY is offline   Reply With Quote