Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > NON EQ Stuff (Real life, other games, etc.) > Steam Vent

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2006, 07:16 PM   #1
Beal

Default Colorado Teachers Spend Taxpayers' Money Well!

What, no thread about the idiot in Colorado caught on tape indoctrinating his students in Geography class?

The audio

He has been put on leave...
Beal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 07:19 PM   #2
Ini
Indestructible

Send a message via Yahoo to Ini
I heard about this earlier today, what gets me is how many times did our HS classes get off track from the actual class. I know I had many a discussion about everyhting else in life in some class that wasnt related.

/shrug

That reminds me of someone eating a shit sandwich who is happy that it has 20% less shit.
Ini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 07:59 PM   #3
Chiteng
Supporter

Originally Posted by Beal
What, no thread about the idiot in Colorado caught on tape indoctrinating his students in Geography class?

The audio

He has been put on leave...
What a pity no one is willing to answer his questions.
The peril, of an inquiring mind.

Voltaire

'For those with faith, no proof is needed. For those without faith, no proof is enough'

French Priest
Chiteng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 08:49 PM   #4
Drysdale
RSS Feed

Originally Posted by Chiteng
What a pity no one is willing to answer his questions.
The peril, of an inquiring mind.
Maybe he should inquire a little more about geography and stick to the class. If he had been blessing Bush, you'd have been calling for his head on a stick.
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."
-Robert A. Heinlein

"Thou shalt not steal. Except by majority vote." - Gary North
Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 09:13 PM   #5
Dawnmarie

What the hell? I don't see what the problem is. He's merely doing what any other teachers do and giving students new outlooks on how to critically view the world around them. I don't agree completely with his politics but I don't see what the harm of hearing them is about. Current affairs is entirely appropriate to any high school class. Ironically enough, the student who recorded his class may have broke the law. Isn't there a law that you are not suppose to record someone without their permission?
Dawnmarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 12:03 AM   #6
Axgar

Send a message via Yahoo to Axgar
So what your saying Dawn is that if he had said the Jesus Christ didn't agree with what the Nazi's did to the Jews and that Bush was pushing the limits of doint the same thing and if he didn't quit it he would be no better than the Nazis and Jesus would condemn him to hell.............. that it would have been ok also?

and No there in not a law that prohibits you from recording anyone at anytime in a public place...... (not to mention most schools Ive ever seen have allowed students to tape lectures).
Axgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 12:36 AM   #7
AresProphet
Priest of Hiroshima

Send a message via MSN to AresProphet
Godwin in eight minutes.

As I'm listening to it, I realize that while he's more or less dead-on on his points, it is fucking cringeworthy to know that this is a tenth-grade classroom. Wrong place, bucko.

Edit: well, at the end he tones down a bit. Not a whole lot, but he gets more reasonable. He directly states he doesn't want students to agree with him.

Still, it's inappropriate for a classroom to go off on a tangent like that.
No-one cares enough

Attachment 181

Last edited by AresProphet; 03-03-2006 at 12:42 AM.
AresProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 04:43 AM   #8
Pafuna
Brilliant Curmudgeon

Ares sums it up precisely -

It is irrelevant how right or wrong his points are - it was not the appropriate forum for this.
Damn, is Pafuna allowed to win the intrawebs twice, or is it a lifetime achievement thing?
Pafuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 12:42 PM   #9
Chiteng
Supporter

Originally Posted by Pafuna
Ares sums it up precisely -

It is irrelevant how right or wrong his points are - it was not the appropriate forum for this.

Really? Then one can only ask what IS appropriate forum.

Voltaire

'For those with faith, no proof is needed. For those without faith, no proof is enough'

French Priest
Old 03-03-2006, 02:02 PM   #10
Dawnmarie

A classroom where you are there to LEARN is an entirely appropriate place for his lecture. Whole thing rather pisses me off. The guy is doing what I consider a fantastic job bringing out new ideals to his students and some asswipe of a student says "Oh Nos! I can't handle learning new concepts and ideals I better record this and run to mommy and daddy crying". No wonder we have a hard time retaining quality educators.
Old 03-03-2006, 07:42 PM   #11
Beal

Really? Then one can only ask what IS appropriate forum.
Usenet, here, talk radio, letters to the editor, in the hallway perhaps, not in the classroom.

It is one thing to present different points of view, play devil's advocate, ask the students to consider various points of view, etc... It is a far different thing to lecture partisan politics to your students. So he added a little disclaimer at the end. So he said that he just wants them to think. Bullshit, he wants them to think what he thinks. He fired off moveon.com talking points, one-by-one, for 20 minutes.

He has the right to say anything he wants when he is off the clock. He has the duty to teach his students Geography when he is on the clock, not partisan political indoctrination. And if 20 minutes of classroom time (obviously this was just one day, who knows how much time he actually devoted to this crap) must be spent talking about politics, it should be done far differently than this.
Old 03-03-2006, 10:46 PM   #12
SupportTank

i had the best "man in society" class teacher in existance. cuzz. it covered just about anything. so he would talk just about anything.

for the whole class. in the last 5 minutes he would say ok heres the actual work for the day. it took about 5 minutes to complete.

i passed his class with about a 96 or something like that. far as i know no one failed his class unless they were annoying and didn't listen to him ramble =-p

70 Warrior - Affliction

If someone tells you it's OK to lie. How do you know they aren't lying?
SupportTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 03:25 AM   #13
Axgar

So how exactly is this guy bashing bush by spewing out his OPINION on what is going on in the world any different than another teacher teaching these same kids that God is there savior? (blah blah blah i know).

I guess it just depends on what you believe, if you think the guy is right its ok if you think hes wrong its not.......... but if your going to give the right to give out opinions for one topic you almost have to for another dont you?
Old 03-04-2006, 05:08 AM   #14
Chiteng
Supporter

Usenet, here, talk radio, letters to the editor, in the hallway perhaps, not in the classroom.

It is one thing to present different points of view, play devil's advocate, ask the students to consider various points of view, etc... It is a far different thing to lecture partisan politics to your students. So he added a little disclaimer at the end. So he said that he just wants them to think. Bullshit, he wants them to think what he thinks. He fired off moveon.com talking points, one-by-one, for 20 minutes.

He has the right to say anything he wants when he is off the clock. He has the duty to teach his students Geography when he is on the clock, not partisan political indoctrination. And if 20 minutes of classroom time (obviously this was just one day, who knows how much time he actually devoted to this crap) must be spent talking about politics, it should be done far differently than this.
Actually the only partisan indoctrination I see is YOURS.
If I were that teacher, I would tell you to fook yourself
I would NOT allow YOU to tell ME how to teach.

Voltaire

French Priest
Old 03-04-2006, 06:13 AM   #15
Ini
Indestructible

Send a message via Yahoo to Ini
What is the fucking point of capitalizing certain words Chit? Do you emphasize words like that in real life. I hope to god not, because you would probably be the most annoying person to speak to.

I am sure everyone can picture that.

As far as me telling you how to teach, no I probably couldn't. But the school board can, and if they agree that the material he presented was not appropriate for that class, you sure as hell would be doing what they require would you not?

That reminds me of someone eating a shit sandwich who is happy that it has 20% less shit.
Ini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 07:04 AM   #16
alatyl

Default How

you cant lecture on an opinion, i didnt see him asking students for an opposing viewpoint. telling 14 year olds that bush = hitler is improper in a public school. end of story, that is why he is on leave and should be fired. Teahcers are supposed to teach facts on a curricullem not spout off left wing propaganda at our children with no equal time for the other side. I hope he gets fired then hit by a truck on his way to his whining lefty support group.
And yes i know i spelled several wrong words.....perhaps my public school teachers should have spent more times teaching spelling then outcome based free writing times.
alatyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 07:20 AM   #17
Dawnmarie

I must have been extremely lucky with the high school teachers. They spouted contraversial ideals all the time and then said "prove me wrong" and set us loose to do so. I really did like that style of teaching. Learning to think is a much more valuable tool then the rote memorization of facts which many people think teachers should stick to.
Old 03-04-2006, 08:05 AM   #18
FanonFaythunder
ThreadKiller, Bitches

Send a message via ICQ to FanonFaythunder Send a message via AIM to FanonFaythunder
Originally Posted by a preview
Those of us who aren’t naturally goal-oriented are left adrift, looking for a chance to develop an identity in an environment that fosters standardization. So-called experts wonder why the youth are drawn to increasingly deviant behavior while the very programs that encourage creativity are being stripped from the curriculum. Imagination was driven from lesson plans too, only to be replaced by statewide aptitude test prep. They taught us routine and they encouraged monotony. That’s what we learned, consciously or not.
The rest is here

No, I don't play... except when I do.
FanonFaythunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 08:22 AM   #19
Beal

Actually the only partisan indoctrination I see is YOURS.
If I were that teacher, I would tell you to fook yourself
I would NOT allow YOU to tell ME how to teach.
Good, then we could fire you and be rid of you.
Old 03-04-2006, 10:41 AM   #20
Chiteng
Supporter

Good, then we could fire you and be rid of you.
Only if you managed to get other rednecks to agree with you.

If all it took was YOU, then the job sucked, and you would be doing me a favor.

In any case, termination w/o cause, is a good way to get sued.

Voltaire

French Priest
Old 03-04-2006, 02:14 PM   #21
Axgar

LOL you like to spew out a lot of words yet you never say anything Chit, now your telling me that if I hire a carpenter to add on a bedroom to my house and he decides to add on a bathroom instead that I can't fire him.
Old 03-04-2006, 02:56 PM   #22
Chiteng
Supporter

Originally Posted by Axgar
LOL you like to spew out a lot of words yet you never say anything Chit, now your telling me that if I hire a carpenter to add on a bedroom to my house and he decides to add on a bathroom instead that I can't fire him.

I said w/o cause. Words are subjective. Buildings are not.

Voltaire

French Priest
Old 03-04-2006, 03:17 PM   #23
Axgar

So what your saying is that as long as its your way of thinking its ok but if anyone else has an opinion it isn't......... then again nothing new learned here thats been obvious from your first post.
Old 03-04-2006, 03:30 PM   #24
Chiteng
Supporter

Originally Posted by Axgar
So what your saying is that as long as its your way of thinking its ok but if anyone else has an opinion it isn't......... then again nothing new learned here thats been obvious from your first post.
No I am saying that if you fire a man w/o cause.....

It is much harder to prove cause subjectively than it is empiricly.

Your example is empirical.

Voltaire

French Priest
Old 03-04-2006, 04:54 PM   #25
Beal

YOU do not get to DECIDE what,
is empiricle and what. IS. NOT! From
MY PERSPECTIVE, the so-called
BATHROOM IS a bedroom....

...just like listing off moveon.org
talking points IS THE SAME as
TEACHING geography.