Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > NON EQ Stuff (Real life, other games, etc.) > Steam Vent

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2006, 08:44 AM   #1
Inmountains

Default Rejoice!!!

My "hard work" is paying off!!!

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,187315,00.html

Originally Posted by article
The number of cigarettes sold in the United States in 2005 fell to the lowest level in 55 years
Maybe I should "short" Phillip-Morris??
Old 03-09-2006, 09:25 AM   #2
chukzombi
The Undead Shaman

dana reeve died of lung cancer the other day.

she was 44

She never smoked a day in her life
Old 03-09-2006, 09:37 AM   #3
Hormadrune
Sociopathic bully?

Originally Posted by chukzombi
dana reeve died of lung cancer the other day.

she was 44

She never smoked a day in her life
As always, your post means nothing. Are you trying to imply that smoking doesn't account for the VAST majority of lung cancers? If so, I have some numbers that may dissuade you.
Old 03-09-2006, 09:44 AM   #4
Foust Farseer

If she had been in a room with 10 smokers for 44 years, she might have gotten enough exposure to cause lung cancer
Old 03-09-2006, 09:56 AM   #5
Inmountains

I can't believe someone brought up Dana Reeve! But since you did, let me take your argument to the ridiculous. For every non smoker who dies of lung cancer, approximately 10,000 smoker's die from Lung Cancer. So, Dana Reeve just caused the death of approximately 10,000 people. See HOW STUPID that arguement is? Oh way, maybe you don't!!

Just in case you might not know, here are some other causes of lung cancer:
Smog
Coal Dust
Heredity
Asbestos
Radiation
and myraid of other reasons

Yet, YET, all the other reasons added together equals about less than 5 percent of Lung Cancer deaths, smoking is about 95 percent.
Old 03-09-2006, 10:03 AM   #6
chukzombi
The Undead Shaman

ahh so those things arent as dangerous as smoking?
Old 03-09-2006, 10:13 AM   #7
zzapp the witch

You forgot radioactive dust. You know, from the bomb tests and actual bombs we set off in Japan.....shit'll be floating around for millenia probably.

Some people are of the opinion that lung cancer is mostly caused by the dust, you breathe it in, it settles and starts fucking up cells. Smokers lungs are constantly irritated by the smoke, thus, are more susceptable to radioactive dust and cancer.

But hey, its just one theory.
Old 03-09-2006, 11:18 AM   #8
Inmountains

[quote=Chuk]ahh so those things arent as dangerous as smoking?[/qutoe]
Chuk, how did you get that out of my post? I said they ALL CAUSE LUNG CANCER. Wouldn't that make them ass just as dangerous? California has laws on car emissions, and they have laws on smoker emissions. Asbestos is outlawed in pretty much all construction. Radiation has very strict Federal quidelines. Carcinogens are strictly regulated, it's about time cigarette smoke is included!
Old 03-09-2006, 11:43 AM   #9
chukzombi
The Undead Shaman

Chuk, how did you get that out of my post?
hmm

Yet, YET, all the other reasons added together equals about less than 5 percent of Lung Cancer deaths, smoking is about 95 percent.
By your own words smoking is more dangerous to humans than

Smog
Coal Dust
Heredity
Asbestos
Radiation
and myraid of other reasons
Old 03-09-2006, 11:47 AM   #10
Segis

I just had some dental work done, and I spent an hour staring at two posters. One was what the inside of a smoker's lungs looks like after a few years, the other was a dude with 1/2 his lower face missing from dipping.

It was disgusting. I agree with the premise, but man, I didn't need to stare at that for a freaking hour!
Segis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 01:12 PM   #11
Ini
Indestructible

Send a message via Yahoo to Ini
Originally Posted by Segis
It was disgusting. I agree with the premise, but man, I didn't need to stare at that for a freaking hour!
You just have a weak stomach.

That reminds me of someone eating a shit sandwich who is happy that it has 20% less shit.
Ini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 01:54 PM   #12
Wildane
Psychopath w/a conscience

They had a similar poster to the effects of dipping one hung in my high school cafeteria. I wouldn't say I had a weak stomach, but of all the things I like to think about when I eat, rotting, cancer-ridden faces isn't near the top of the list.

"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear." - Thomas Jefferson
Wildane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 02:02 PM   #13
SupportTank

Originally Posted by zzapp the witch
You forgot radioactive dust. You know, from the bomb tests and actual bombs we set off in Japan.....shit'll be floating around for millenia probably.

Some people are of the opinion that lung cancer is mostly caused by the dust, you breathe it in, it settles and starts fucking up cells. Smokers lungs are constantly irritated by the smoke, thus, are more susceptable to radioactive dust and cancer.

But hey, its just one theory.

zapp most of that radiation came down within 2 years. and you can get more radioactive by ingesting granite or walking outside on a sunny day then the radioactivity from bombs dropped 50+ years ago.

70 Warrior - Affliction

If someone tells you it's OK to lie. How do you know they aren't lying?
SupportTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 02:08 PM   #14
zzapp the witch

That'd be all well and good if we lived in the sky where you say the radioactive dust isn't, but we don't, we live on the ground where you just said it settled. Lots of movement down here....last time I checked, most people have to dust inside their houses on a regular basis.
Old 03-09-2006, 03:29 PM   #15
AresProphet
Priest of Hiroshima

Send a message via MSN to AresProphet
Originally Posted by chukzombi
ahh so those things arent as dangerous as smoking?
More people die every year from car accidents than from atomic bomb detonations. Are cars more dangerous than atomic bombs?
No-one cares enough

Attachment 181
AresProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 05:01 PM   #16
SupportTank

Originally Posted by zzapp the witch
That'd be all well and good if we lived in the sky where you say the radioactive dust isn't, but we don't, we live on the ground where you just said it settled. Lots of movement down here....last time I checked, most people have to dust inside their houses on a regular basis.
a piece of granite is radioactive too. yes go check it out with a giger counter sometime.

but itsn't not going to hurt or kill you. oh and ground up granite is a tad dusty too.

and this is a fact .. you will get more radioactive from 1 hour in the sun then 50 year old dust thats been spread over the entire globe very very very thinly. as a matter of fact walking past a hospital is prolly more dangerous. or getting a xray.

70 Warrior - Affliction

If someone tells you it's OK to lie. How do you know they aren't lying?

Last edited by SupportTank; 03-09-2006 at 07:12 PM.
SupportTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 07:40 AM   #17
Drysdale
RSS Feed

Yes! Rejoice! A legal industry is being smothered because some fucktards can't get over the fact that some people are willing to take chances to ingest nicotine. WAH.
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."
-Robert A. Heinlein

"Thou shalt not steal. Except by majority vote." - Gary North
Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 07:55 AM   #18
Vidden
Banned User

Fuck the smokers and the companies that make cigarettes. They are ruining the clean air for the rest of us.
Vidden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 08:02 AM   #19
chukzombi
The Undead Shaman

You mean that grey haze hanging over all major cities reducing visibility to 20 feet is cigarette smoke? damn you joe camel!!!
Old 03-10-2006, 08:30 AM   #20
Xerion

Carbon monoxide should be a cool green colour.
Xerion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 08:37 AM   #21
Hormadrune
Sociopathic bully?

Originally Posted by Drysdale
Yes! Rejoice! A legal industry is being smothered because some fucktards can't get over the fact that some people are willing to take chances to ingest nicotine. WAH.
Smothered? Puhlease. Phillip Morris (I'm sorry, Altria ) et al are still making shittons of money selling cancer. Can you tell me the one about how Exxon-Mobil has it so bad too? I love your stories. Wah indeed.
Old 03-10-2006, 08:51 AM   #22
Drysdale
RSS Feed

Originally Posted by Hormadrune
Smothered? Puhlease. Phillip Morris (I'm sorry, Altria ) et al are still making shittons of money selling cancer. Can you tell me the one about how Exxon-Mobil has it so bad too? I love your stories. Wah indeed.
Yeah, sure.. wasn't this entire thread about record low sales?
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."
-Robert A. Heinlein

Old 03-10-2006, 09:21 AM   #23
Hormadrune
Sociopathic bully?

Yeah, sure.. wasn't this entire thread about record low sales?
Record low US sales, yeah. And by volume, not revenue. Let's examine the most obvious player in the industry, Altria (which is the holding company name used by Phillip Morris these days).

MO's latest 10Q

Read up on it and learn. Their revenues continue to grow, even domestically, and their growth is still driven by tobacco, not their food businesses. So while you're whining about how downtrodden these poor starving tobacco sellers are, the numbers tell quite a different story. Their sales figures are quite healthy (please don't let the irony of that statement be lost on you, even you, Drysdale).
Old 03-10-2006, 10:06 AM   #24
Drysdale
RSS Feed

Originally Posted by Hormadrune
Record low US sales, yeah. And by volume, not revenue. Let's examine the most obvious player in the industry, Altria (which is the holding company name used by Phillip Morris these days).

MO's latest 10Q

Read up on it and learn. Their revenues continue to grow, even domestically, and their growth is still driven by tobacco, not their food businesses. So while you're whining about how downtrodden these poor starving tobacco sellers are, the numbers tell quite a different story. Their sales figures are quite healthy (please don't let the irony of that statement be lost on you, even you, Drysdale).
Who's whining? I'm just pissed that a legal business is under fire fro "GASP" producing their legal product! It's an end-run around the laws of the nation and should be put to a stop. Wanna make cigs illegal? Fine. Pass the law. Make sure it passes constitutional muster, and quit trying the slimy lawyer games that only make for rich, emboldened lawyers who're looking for the next sheep to shear.

Or is the irony of a legal business being attacked for going about its business too far above YOUR head, Hormy??
-Robert A. Heinlein

Old 03-10-2006, 11:31 AM   #25
Hormadrune
Sociopathic bully?

Who's whining? I'm just pissed that a legal business is under fire fro "GASP" producing their legal product! It's an end-run around the laws of the nation and should be put to a stop. Wanna make cigs illegal? Fine. Pass the law. Make sure it passes constitutional muster, and quit trying the slimy lawyer games that only make for rich, emboldened lawyers who're looking for the next sheep to shear.

Or is the irony of a legal business being attacked for going about its business too far above YOUR head, Hormy??
Not only are you whining, you're misinformed, as I've shown you. I find it hilarious that you're trying to paint the tobacco industry in a sympathetic light after their well-documented deceptive practices finally cost them some profits (and as I've shown, they're doing pretty well despite your allegations of tobacco road armegeddon). Am I thrilled that some lawyers are getting a huge cut from those settlements? Of course not, frankly I'd rather have seen the sum total of the settlement directly invested in cancer and COPD research, but that's simply not the way our legal system works as we both well know.

Another thing: are we now not allowed to criticize legal businesses? That's a new one for me- who passed that law? Can you link me an article or something? You seem pretty upset