Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > NON EQ Stuff (Real life, other games, etc.) > Steam Vent

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2008, 05:09 AM   #1
Drysdale
RSS Feed

Default Brits take being a pussy to a new level!

Thus, the slippery slope continues.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/e...ll/7196104.stm
Pantomime gun must be registered

A Cornish village drama group has had to register a toy gun with the police to comply with health and safety rules.

Carnon Downs drama group in Cornwall have also had to keep their plastic cutlasses and wooden swords locked up for the pantomime, Robinson Crusoe.

Producers of the show called the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) rules "farcical".

A spokesman for the HSE said the rules were designed to make risks "sensibly managed".

The climax of the show is a fight in which actors use replica 4ft long plastic cutlasses.

There is also a toy gun which produces a flag saying "Bang".

The directors contacted police after receiving advice from the HSE and the National Operatic and Dramatic Association.

The HSE have a page on their website called Entertainment Information Sheet 20 which lays down strict rules for the handling of guns, swords and other weapons on set.

Drama group co-director Linda Barker said: "The cutlasses count as weapons even though they are replicas and made of plastic and apparently they could be mistaken for real ones.

"Our only gun was a panto pistol which produces a flag with the word bang on it.

"Our local police at Truro were fantastic and they have registered the gun, the two plastic cutlasses and our six wooden swords."

She added: "It gets a bit farcical when you are dealing with plastic swords. It is not as if anyone is likely to be scared by them."

Neighbourhood beat officer Pc Nigel Hyde said: "We have been informed and made a note.

"It seems a bit unusual but other forms of replica weapons have been used to carry out crimes and the consequences have been serious."

A spokesman for the HSE said: "We do not want to stop people putting on pantos or having fun as long as the risks are sensibly managed."
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."
-Robert A. Heinlein

"Thou shalt not steal. Except by majority vote." - Gary North
Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 10:54 AM   #2
SupportTank

one of these days the morons coming up with the laws will figure out that criminals as a rule tend not to follow their laws.

and making new ones doesn't make them follow old ones any better then the new ones.

70 Warrior - Affliction

If someone tells you it's OK to lie. How do you know they aren't lying?
SupportTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 11:48 AM   #3
Noppers

This doesn't suprise me at all. The HSE are full of jobs-worths and this is another example that proves what I already know, that they're just a bunch of interfering cock gobblers.

It's got to the stage on some of the UK's building sites now that you can't even use a step ladder. I know one guy in our firm had to build a mobile tower scaffold just to change a 3 foot light tube that could have been reached using a milk crate to stand on. 5min work soon becomes a 2 hour job once the HSE are involved.

Back in the day my old dears (parents) bought me a cap gun, spud (potato) gun etc and I used to spend many an hour running around the area I grew up in with my fellow 7, 8 and 9 year olds playing 'war'.... I'm not even sure if kids are allowed toy guns anymore, and as a parent to buy your child one you are seen as encouraging the ever increasing gang culture that is becoming prevelant in this country today.

I agree, in part, with this countries gun laws but it's typical of our government to take it one silly/petty step further.

/rant off

Nop)
Noppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 12:58 PM   #4
Drysdale
RSS Feed

I have to disagree with the gun laws, because they're ineffective. Our respective governments can't stop drugs coming in, and those can be sniffed by dogs. How can they stop the importation of a piece of inert metal? All they're doing with the gun laws is telling criminals to have at it.
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."
-Robert A. Heinlein

Old 01-22-2008, 01:57 PM   #5
ShardmoonVer.1

Thats my favorite gun law arguement. If you you criminalize guns, only criminals will have guns. Doesnt that pretty much apply to any banned item or substance?
Old 01-22-2008, 01:58 PM   #6
Drysdale
RSS Feed

Originally Posted by ShardmoonVer.1 View Post
Thats my favorite gun law arguement. If you you criminalize guns, only criminals will have guns. Doesnt that pretty much apply to any banned item or substance?
Hey! You're starting to learn!

Are you ready to enter an adult society where people are treated like adults instead of this nanny society we live in?
-Robert A. Heinlein

Old 01-22-2008, 02:05 PM   #7
ShardmoonVer.1

I would sort of like the fact that very few people have guns. I am rather handy in a slap fight.
Old 01-22-2008, 02:06 PM   #8
Drysdale
RSS Feed

I would sort of like the fact that very few people have guns. I am rather handy in a slap fight.
Maybe you can protect us all from Arka then!
-Robert A. Heinlein

Old 01-22-2008, 02:08 PM   #9
ShardmoonVer.1

Of course i can. One whiff of deoderant and he would surrender.
Old 01-22-2008, 03:12 PM   #10
Noppers

The 'big deal' in the UK at the moment isn't really the guns. Compared to the recent trend of knife crimes guns are barely even on the radar.

I'd like to think i could take care of myself in a bit of good old fashioned fisty cuffs, but my concern is not 'Maybe he has gun', more like, 'he's probably got a knife.'

Nop)
Noppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 03:49 PM   #11
Pafuna
Brilliant Curmudgeon

Of course i can. One whiff of deoderant and he would surrender.
lol irl.

/golf clap
Damn, is Pafuna allowed to win the intrawebs twice, or is it a lifetime achievement thing?
Pafuna is offline   Reply With Quote