Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > NON EQ Stuff (Real life, other games, etc.) > Steam Vent

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2008, 12:02 PM   #1
bumbleroot

Default Big Time scandal about to hit

Former Republican Rep. Mark Deli Siljander from Michigan is being charged with being part of a ring that sent $260k to a Taliban Warlord.

Sounds treasonous to me.
bumbleroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 12:04 PM   #2
Axgar

Send a message via Yahoo to Axgar
Noone here said there wasn't bad apples in the Rep party you idiot so who cares? I hope if he did it that they hang his ass.
Axgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 12:07 PM   #3
FafnerMorell
Warrior 4 the working-day

I was kind of wondering where the heck this is coming from (seemed like a lot of info was missing), and saw this linked to on Drudge:
WASHINGTON (AP) - A former congressman and delegate to the United Nations was indicted Wednesday as part of a terrorist fundraising ring that allegedly sent more than $130,000 to an al-Qaida and Taliban supporter who has threatened U.S. and international troops in Afghanistan.

The former Republican congressman from Michigan, Mark Deli Siljander, was charged with money laundering, conspiracy and obstructing justice for allegedly lying about lobbying senators on behalf of an Islamic charity that authorities said was secretly sending funds to terrorists.
-- William Shakespeare, Henvy V, Act 4, Scene 3
FafnerMorell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 12:19 PM   #4
Foust Farseer

If they hang him for supporting terrorism, they may as well hang everyone else in Washington D.C.
Old 01-16-2008, 12:20 PM   #5
furo

"Big Time Scandal??" He is a washout and a has-been. He hasn't held office in the last 20 years. How convenient of you to leave that fact out, bumbles.

Originally Posted by bioguide.congress.gov
SILJANDER, Mark Deli, a Representative from Michigan; born in Chicago, Cook County, Ill., June 11, 1951; attended the public schools; graduated from Oak Park-River Forest High School, 1969; B.S., Western Michigan University, Kalamazoo, 1972; M.A., same university, 1973; trustee, Fabius Township Board, St. Joseph County, 1972-1976; real estate broker; served in the Michigan State house of representatives, 1977-1981; delegate, Republican National Convention, 1980; elected as Republican to the Ninety-seventh Congress, by special election, to fill the vacancy caused by the resignation of United States Representative David A. Stockman, and reelected to the two succeeding Congresses (April 21, 1981-January 3, 1987); unsuccessful candidate for renomination to the One Hundredth Congress in 1986; delegate to the United Nations General Assembly, September 1987-September 1988; president of a consulting firm in Washington, D.C., and operates an import-export firm; radio commentator; unsuccessful candidate in 1992 for nomination to the One Hundred Third Congress; is a resident of Reston, Va.
furo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 12:47 PM   #6
Veo

Originally Posted by furo View Post
"Big Time Scandal??" He is a washout and a has-been. He hasn't held office in the last 20 years. How convenient of you to leave that fact out, bumbles.
What does it matter how long he's been out of office?
Veo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 12:50 PM   #7
FafnerMorell
Warrior 4 the working-day

Originally Posted by Veo View Post
Well, it would be extremely appalling if they did this while serving in office. Unless, of course, they were from Louisiana- I mean, heck, could you imagine a scandal with a politician from Louisiana where folks just didn't go "Hey, he's from Louisiana, what do you expect?".
-- William Shakespeare, Henvy V, Act 4, Scene 3
FafnerMorell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 12:59 PM   #8
ShardmoonVer.1

A lobbyist whoring himself out.... for money. Say it aint so, Joe. Say it aint so.
Old 01-16-2008, 01:04 PM   #9
furo

Originally Posted by Veo View Post
About as much as it matters that he served as a Republican.
Old 01-16-2008, 01:16 PM   #10
bumbleroot

It doesn't matter what party he is. But it doesn't help the Republican party to have another scandal dropped in their lap.
Old 01-16-2008, 01:19 PM   #11
furo

Originally Posted by bumbleroot View Post
It doesn't matter what party he is. But it doesn't help the Republican party to have another scandal dropped in their lap.
You are implying that anyone gives a fuck about a washout who hasn't served in office since 1986.
Old 01-16-2008, 01:33 PM   #12
ShardmoonVer.1

Did you all know that 9 out of 10 Catholic priest identify themselves as Democrats?
Old 01-16-2008, 01:55 PM   #13
Brigiid

Send a message via AIM to Brigiid
Well clearly if one Republican did something bad, we ought to hold the entire party responsible.
Old 01-16-2008, 02:20 PM   #14
Aerrow Trueflight

Originally Posted by ShardmoonVer.1 View Post
Did you all know that 9 out of 10 Catholic priest identify themselves as Democrats?
Thats the funniest thing i have heard all day! And the 1 out of 10 are independants!
I clean up their shit. Nothing more.
Aerrow Trueflight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 03:52 PM   #15
furo

Former Republican Rep. Mark Deli Siljander from Michigan is being charged with being part of a ring that sent $260k to a Taliban Warlord.

Sounds treasonous to me.
According to a story by AP, this guy wasn't even a member of Congress when this went down:
Originally Posted by AP
Siljander founded the Washington-area consulting group Global Strategies Inc. after leaving the government.

The indictment says Siljander was hired by the Islamic American Relief Agency (IARA) in March 2004 to lobby the Senate Finance Committee in an effort to remove the charity from the panel's list of suspected terror fundraisers

In 2004, the FBI raided the Islamic American Relief Agency-USA group's headquarters and the homes of people affiliated with the group nationwide. Since then, the 20-year-old charity has been unable to raise money and its assets have been frozen.

The charity has denied the allegations that it has financed terrorism. IARA in Columbia has argued that it is a separate organization from the Islamic African Relief Agency, a Sudanese group suspected of financing al-Qaida. A federal appeals court in Washington ruled in February that there was a link between the two groups.
Furthermore, it's interesting you bring this case up, bumbles.

Because the same "spying" techniques sponsored by Bush that you decry so often as "extreme" and un-American are the same ones used by the FBI to investigate these matters, bumbles.

Funny how that works isn't it, bumbles?

If it were up to you, bumbles, the Feds wouldn't even have a case here. I'll just chalk up this thread as another example of you owning yourself.
Old 01-16-2008, 04:28 PM   #16
bumbleroot

According to a story by AP, this guy wasn't even a member of Congress when this went down:
That was why I said FORMER. Or did you conveniently forget that too?

Because the same "spying" techniques sponsored by Bush that you decry so often as "extreme" and un-American are the same ones used by the FBI to investigate these matters, bumbles.
Gee, imagine that, the FBI spying on someone involved in terrorist activities. That is their job. However, it isn't their job to spy on any and all Americans, only those who are suspects, and I sure as hell am not going to live my life under a watchful eye of anyone that wants to see. I value my privacy. You apparently don't believe privacy is important.
Old 01-16-2008, 08:19 PM   #17
furo

That was why I said FORMER. Or did you conveniently forget that too?

Gee, imagine that, the FBI spying on someone involved in terrorist activities. That is their job. However, it isn't their job to spy on any and all Americans, only those who are suspects,
Oh I see, bumbles, so you are implying that the FBI investigated this organization with warrants in hand?

HIGHLY doubtful, but keep dreaming.

Just face it, if you had it your way, the FBI wouldn't even be able to do utilize the methods that they employ.

You're just a typical liberal, bumbles. You piss and moan about the Patriot Act and domestic spying. But when the shit hits the fan and the FBI busts a potential terrorist ring in the US, you are perfectly okay with it.

Originally Posted by bumbles
and I sure as hell am not going to live my life under a watchful eye of anyone that wants to see. I value my privacy.
Oh really?

So what are you going to do about it bumbles? How are you going to live your life without being under this "watchful eye??"

You going to get a special exemption so that they don't spy on you? You going to sit around and wait for the next President to stop this practice?

Please.

Last edited by furo; 01-16-2008 at 08:29 PM.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:22 PM   #18
Alinusara

Actually none of us our sure which methods was employed in bringing about this bust. I'm going to make the assumption that the FBI used legitimate methods. If not, I'm sure we will hear about it at trial or barring that during the appeal process.
Alinusara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 10:09 PM   #19
furo

Originally Posted by Alinusara View Post
Actually none of us our sure which methods was employed in bringing about this bust. I'm going to make the assumption that the FBI used legitimate methods. If not, I'm sure we will hear about it at trial or barring that during the appeal process.
What do you consider an "illegitimate" method, Alin?
Old 01-16-2008, 10:22 PM   #20
Drackore

OJ Simpson is having legal problems again. The whole of the NFL is going to rock on it's heels from this scandal!!!

So will the entire black community...and orange juice makers in Florida.
Drackore Spyritfyst: Lvl 80 Templar Permafrost - Reborn
Drackore Spyritfyst: Lvl 12.4 Cleric DDO Lhazaar - Retired
My Blog
My MySpace
Drackore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 10:27 PM   #21
AjTaliesen

I was going to vote McCain till this happened.
AjTaliesen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 04:46 AM   #22
Drysdale
RSS Feed

Originally Posted by AjTaliesen View Post
I was going to vote McCain till this happened.
I'll never vote McCain after his "Campaign Reform Act".
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."
-Robert A. Heinlein

"Thou shalt not steal. Except by majority vote." - Gary North
Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 04:46 AM   #23
Drysdale
RSS Feed

Originally Posted by Drackore View Post
OJ Simpson is having legal problems again. The whole of the NFL is going to rock on it's heels from this scandal!!!

So will the entire black community...and orange juice makers in Florida.
Best point made in months!
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."
-Robert A. Heinlein

"Thou shalt not steal. Except by majority vote." - Gary North
Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 11:20 AM   #24
bumbleroot

Oh I see, bumbles, so you are implying that the FBI investigated this organization with warrants in hand?
Once they get to the point of a suspect, they usually do investigations with warrants in hand. Not too easy to search without one.
Just face it, if you had it your way, the FBI wouldn't even be able to do utilize the methods that they employ.
Nobody in the country is arguing the FBI employing their methods for investigating, as long as its done while protecting the rights of citizens. Of course, no matter how many times someone says this, you won't listen because you have this black & white view of the world and you think that anything liberal represents every bad thing in the world.
So what are you going to do about it bumbles? How are you going to live your life without being under this "watchful eye??"

You going to get a special exemption so that they don't spy on you? You going to sit around and wait for the next President to stop this practice?
Tell you what, since you like being spied upon so much and you believe it is good. Why don't you post your name, address and phone number so we can report you as a terrorist? Let's see how much you like being INNOCENT but still being spied upon.
Old 01-17-2008, 11:38 AM   #25
furo

Once they get to the point of a suspect, they usually do investigations with warrants in hand. Not too easy to search without one.
Really? Ever heard of the FISA court? Have you heard of the exemption to a FISA warrant in favor of the Attorney General's discretion?

Guess not, bumbles.

Nobody in the country is arguing the FBI employing their methods for investigating, as long as its done while protecting the rights of citizens. Of course, no matter how many times someone says this, you won't listen because you have this black & white view of the world and you think that anything liberal represents every bad thing in the world.
bumbles, you have repeatedly cursed the Bush administration for "spying on Americans." So if this isn't the FBI you are referring to, then what the fuck are you spamming about??

Tell you what, since you like being spied upon so much and you believe it is good. Why don't you post your name, address and phone number so we can report you as a terrorist? Let's see how much you like being INNOCENT but still being spied upon.
Tell you what, bumbles, why don't you answer the question:

You stated that "and I sure as hell am not going to live my life under a watchful eye of anyone that wants to see. I value my privacy."

So tell us, bumbles, what's your plan for defeating the all-seeing eye?