Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > NON EQ Stuff (Real life, other games, etc.) > Steam Vent

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2004, 10:38 AM   #1
TyriaEM

Send a message via AIM to TyriaEM Send a message via MSN to TyriaEM
Default College coach suspended for bad wording

Here's the story http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200....ap/index.html

Barnett got suspended for saying something that was obvious to everyone. The way he said it could have been better, but should he have been suspended for it?

Originally Posted by http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/football/ncaa/02/18/barnett.statement.ap/index.html
She could not be one of our top five kickers by her own admission.
He's not the best personality, but he is the headcoach for the team. Football players are some of the biggest people out there. They have to be able to take the hits that come. Even kickers have to be ready to be tackled if the opponent team get's through the wall. Yes, she played previously, but there are better kickers applying for the position now.

Because she's a girl, the media is swarming it. As much as we'd like to deny it, we still live in a sexist world. If it was a guy, there would have been no thought about questioning the headcoach's decision. But since everyone seems to be taking such an interest in this, he's being martyred to show that the college is making changes.

What does everyone else think?
Old 02-19-2004, 10:44 AM   #2
Hormadrune
Sociopathic bully?

Originally Posted by TyriaEM
Here's the story http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200....ap/index.html

Barnett got suspended for saying something that was obvious to everyone. The way he said it could have been better, but should he have been suspended for it?

He's not the best personality, but he is the headcoach for the team. Football players are some of the biggest people out there. They have to be able to take the hits that come. Even kickers have to be ready to be tackled if the opponent team get's through the wall. Yes, she played previously, but there are better kickers applying for the position now.

Because she's a girl, the media is swarming it. As much as we'd like to deny it, we still live in a sexist world. If it was a guy, there would have been no thought about questioning the headcoach's decision. But since everyone seems to be taking such an interest in this, he's being martyred to show that the college is making changes.

What does everyone else think?
I'm inclined to think you aren't aware of her ordeal while at Colorado: the regular sexual harrassment, including exposures, groping, verbal abuse. Perhaps you also aren't aware of her alleged rape at the hands of one of her teammates? This has very little to do with him saying she sucked as a kicker and everything to do with him presiding over one of the most out of control D1 football programs in the country- he's been on the verge of suspension/firing for a while given his ineptitude in controlling his players off-field behavior.

Don't cry for Coach Barnett.
Old 02-19-2004, 11:28 AM   #3
TyriaEM

Send a message via AIM to TyriaEM Send a message via MSN to TyriaEM
I'm not exactly crying for Coach Barnett. Let me see if I can word this differently...

I am aware of her ordeal. There were even players who said "Yes, what she went through in the locker room was bad" There's always going to be sexist pigs anywhere you go. You can't escape them, they're like flies.

She didn't say anything to him about it because she was afraid he was looking for a reason to get rid of her, but we don't know how he would have handled it if she had said something. He could say he would have handled it "this" way now.

I shouldn't have said martyred in that context. All I meant by that was the college administration was needing to take some kind of action and saw this as the way to do it.

After 4 years of not coming forward, keeping it to herself, there's no longer any proof other than one's word against the other. One of the hardest parts of the police's job when handling a sexual assault is when the female doesn't come forward immediately, because the evidence is gone.

Now that all the rape allegations(sp?) are coming forward in Colorado, she spoke up about it too. I wish it were different for me, but to me it looks like she's just trying to cause more trouble for Colorado than they were already looking at.

I know that last paragraph will piss someone off, because everyone always has their own opinion (or someone else's opinion) about it.

If Barnett had said a guy kicker had sucked, and then the guy had gotten upset about it, what would have been done about it? Do you think he still would have been suspended? Yes, it was only a matter of time before actions were taken against the football program, I just don't think it would have happened just yet.
Old 02-19-2004, 11:39 AM   #4
Hormadrune
Sociopathic bully?

Originally Posted by TyriaEM
If Barnett had said a guy kicker had sucked, and then the guy had gotten upset about it, what would have been done about it?
Nothing would have been said. Your thinking is fine here: the only reason a quote about the CU kicker was news is that that kicker was female.

Do you think he still would have been suspended? Yes, it was only a matter of time before actions were taken against the football program, I just don't think it would have happened just yet.
No, he would not have been suspended if it was a male kicker. It was the fact that this comment was about a female player who was tied into the extensive allegations against Barnett and his players that led the University to finally say, enough is enough, and take some action.

However, if the male kicker had been sexually harassed, who knows. You can't truly separate the issues here, so I don't think it's some sort of reverse sexism.
Old 02-19-2004, 11:50 AM   #5
Rheaton

He is engaging in character assassination to present a case of the failed and angry female looking for closure. He is doing this to protect himself, the players and the program. If he had any class at all he would have said "we are looking into it" .. then if and when they find the allegations were false, then come out and say what you want about her.
Rheaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 12:44 PM   #6
bumbleroot

That may be the wording but Barnett was suspended for a lack of institutional control. Colorado was using alcohol and women to recruit players.
bumbleroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 12:53 PM   #7
Flub Man
Here's to you liberals!!!

Originally Posted by bumbleroot
Colorado was using alcohol and women to recruit players.
Then most NCAA schools are in big trouble. Using women and alcohol to recruit is as old as using women and alcohol.

"Starkville is the Indian word for Trailer Park."
~ Skip Bertman

'I was just wrong. Flub you are correct.'
~bumble
Flub Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 01:42 PM   #8
Hormadrune
Sociopathic bully?

Originally Posted by Flub Man
Then most NCAA schools are in big trouble. Using women and alcohol to recruit is as old as using women and alcohol.
I was always pissed they didn't recruit academic kids that way

/em kicks self for quitting football in high school