Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > NON EQ Stuff (Real life, other games, etc.) > Steam Vent

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2010, 07:34 AM   #1
Drysdale
RSS Feed

Default I wonder how many people this will drive out of NY?

Will they ever learn?

http://www.myfoxny.com/dpp/news/ny-a...s-tax-20100526
MYFOXNY.COM - New York Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver is reportedly pitching a plan for an increased "millionaire's tax" aimed at 75-85 thousand New Yorkers making $1 million or more a year.
Political columnist Fred Dicker , who appeared on Wednesday's Good Day New York, says Silver secretly proposed a $1 billion tax hike on the highest income earners to Gov. Paterson.
The plan would jack up a current millionaires tax another 11-percent. The current "millionaire's tax" actually starts affecting people who have incomes over $200,000. High income tax earners would pay more than 13-percent of their salary in local taxes.
The highest one percent of income earners account for about 36 percent of all state taxes.
The state is trying to close a $9.2 billion deficit.
Governor Paterson approved a plan that would furlough 100,000 state workers one day a week for eight weeks, which would save $30 million a week for the state. A judge blocked that temporarily blocked that plan at a union's request. A hearing was scheduled for Wednesday afternoon to review Paterson's plan.
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."
-Robert A. Heinlein

"Thou shalt not steal. Except by majority vote." - Gary North
Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 04:55 PM   #2
SupportTank

New yorks tax problems are just beginning. The ones that could afford to move .. mostly have already. to florida which is why they are short on taxes.

it gets better. The Middle class is buying up the bronx and moving in. why? the property taxes are waaay lower.

another tax problem.

and they want to chase off the few remaining millionaires?

One Internet word for NYC

LOL!

70 Warrior - Affliction

If someone tells you it's OK to lie. How do you know they aren't lying?
SupportTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 05:34 AM   #3
Drysdale
RSS Feed

In all fairness, 75-85 thousand isn't a "few millionaires." But then again, a million doesn't buy what it used to either.
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."
-Robert A. Heinlein

Old 05-28-2010, 05:45 AM   #4
FafnerMorell
Warrior 4 the working-day

It's interesting that $200,000 (or $250,000 for couples) per year seems to be the new definition of "millionaire" by liberals. Backtracking for inflation, if you had been making $83,500 a year back in 1981, Obama & crew would consider that millionaire income.

Remember Gilligan's island - the "millionaire and his wife". Thurston & Lovey Howell, III, only needed a mere $35,600 per year in 1964 dollars to be Obama millionaires.
-- William Shakespeare, Henvy V, Act 4, Scene 3
FafnerMorell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 08:54 AM   #5
Wildane
Psychopath w/a conscience

And people wonder why CEOs move their businesses overseas.....same reason. You aren't going to provide more revenue for your state, you're just going to drive out those that DO provide your revenue. Dumb shits.

"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear." - Thomas Jefferson
Wildane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 06:02 PM   #6
Heretic

Originally Posted by wildane
And people wonder why CEOs move their businesses overseas
And thats what tariffs are for. :P
"i always refer to myself as a "missionary agnostic." that is, not only do i not know shit about shit, but i'm going to try and convince you that you don't know shit about shit either and there's no way for you to know shit about shit."

Heretic
Heretic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 06:31 PM   #7
bumbleroot

People didn't move from NY to Fla. because of taxes. They moved because of weather.
You guys are about as stupid as an ex-boss of mine who said he wouldn't have a kid because it wasn't in his best tax interest to do so. You guys think taxes rule everyone's lives.
What you don't realize is that there are a lot of benefits NY gets for their taxes. You just never lived there so you wouldn't know.
Old 05-28-2010, 08:50 PM   #8
Beal

Look up the word "margin" in any economics textbook, tool.
Beal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 01:47 AM   #9
bumbleroot

I know what Margin is. I used it everyday when I sold printing for the newspapers.
I also am a Floridian whose family is from NY and who lived in NY before moving to Fla. Almost everyone I know that moved to Fla from NY did so for the weather, not the economy. Fla. salaries are not in line with NY salaries.
You can speak all you want but you are not from Fla, nor NY. So shut the fuck up and stop projecting your opinions on others. That is a stupid argument. (I believe something, hence others believe it also)
Old 05-29-2010, 02:34 AM   #10
Davek
Squawk Box

Originally Posted by bumbleroot View Post
I know what Margin is. I used it everyday when I sold printing for the newspapers.
I'm pretty sure that Beal isn't talking about the spacing around the printed text on the page.

Man that just rolls off the tongue nicely.

Originally Posted by Karthanon View Post
I know, you're in Ottawa, Davek. Still, I can't help but /poke you.
Originally Posted by Drysdale View Post
And you wonder why I don't play nice with you? You leave my man buttons alone.. Those are Davek's.
Davek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 06:04 AM   #11
Drysdale
RSS Feed

Originally Posted by bumbleroot View Post
People didn't move from NY to Fla. because of taxes.
They certainly move to Texas because of taxes. One summer in Houston will convince the hardiest New Yorker that NY's cold ain't so bad.

But the lack of state personal income taxes? The low corporate taxes? The business friendly atmosphere?

Whole 'nother story. And believe me, I run into a shitload of ex-New Yorkers, ex-Chicagoans, and ex-Granolas (The fruits nuts & flakes in LA)
-Robert A. Heinlein

Old 05-29-2010, 06:25 AM   #12
ShardmoonVer.1

The entire reason my dad and mom chose Florida to retire to was based on cost of living and taxes. Of course people move to Florida based on taxes.
Old 05-29-2010, 06:25 AM   #13
FafnerMorell
Warrior 4 the working-day

When I moved to Fort Bend county (near Houston) 20 years ago, the population was about 150,000. It's now about 850,000 - and almost all of it folks coming from high income tax states with expensive houses/high costs-of-living, and getting good paying jobs.

NY and CA are on their way to being the next Detroits. They'll always have a small percentage of folks who have enough money that they don't care (as Arnold S points out, whether he's got $55 million or just $50 million, it doesn't really impact his life much). For those who would feel the impact of losing $5 million, it's a different story. And the issue is - are their enough Arnolds (and Google CEOs, and Wall Street traders, etc) to keep CA & NY going....
-- William Shakespeare, Henvy V, Act 4, Scene 3
FafnerMorell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 01:49 PM   #14
Aolynd

As evidence to back up his argument Bumbles offers...

What his own family did.

We've already seen ample evidence that this is arguably the dumbest group of sub humans on the planet, or at the very least: in possession of enough defective genes to either create such a specimen, or at least find one under a rock and teach it how to use a typewriter,

But by all means, lets use this group of super geniuses as a guide to what all of the most successful people on the east coast think.

Bottom line: if you don't think rich people take overhead into account when investing, building a business, or buying property, you're probably too dumb to even kill yourself, but a safe bet it will happen anyway next time you try to cross the street without your special helper.
Aolynd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 07:27 PM   #15
Wildane
Psychopath w/a conscience

Originally Posted by ShardmoonVer.1 View Post
The entire reason my dad and mom chose Florida to retire to was based on cost of living and taxes. Of course people move to Florida based on taxes.
Yep, when you are retiring, you have to prepare for your fixed income, so the cost of living will come heavily into play. That includes taxes. Sure, weather comes into play, since your ability to handle the cold dwindles as you get older, but that's not nearly the only reason.

"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear." - Thomas Jefferson
Wildane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 06:30 AM   #16
Jelceie

Originally Posted by Davek View Post
I'm pretty sure that Beal isn't talking about the spacing around the printed text on the page.
You owe me a new keyboard, Davek.

//J.
Jelceie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 07:53 AM   #17
Davek
Squawk Box

Originally Posted by Jelceie View Post
You owe me a new keyboard, Davek.

//J.
Not my fault you don't use a splash guard when surfing the net.

Man that just rolls off the tongue nicely.

Originally Posted by Karthanon View Post
I know, you're in Ottawa, Davek. Still, I can't help but /poke you.
Originally Posted by Drysdale View Post
And you wonder why I don't play nice with you? You leave my man buttons alone.. Those are Davek's.
Davek is offline   Reply With Quote