Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > NON EQ Stuff (Real life, other games, etc.) > Technical Related

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2005, 08:41 AM   #1
Camien Ta`Mire

Send a message via AIM to Camien Ta`Mire Send a message via MSN to Camien Ta`Mire Send a message via Yahoo to Camien Ta`Mire
Default Video problems and game locking up

Ok, for some odd reason, while I'm playing, the screen will get jumpy, half my windows will disappear, and I can't type or move...hitting the close button on the window doesn't help, I have to end the program through task manager.

I thought that the problem was with running EQW, so I tried going through the regular program, and no luck.

Runing a GeForce 4 Ti 4200, with the newest drivers...should I roll back to previous drivers?
Camien Ta`Mire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 10:21 AM   #2
aganitte

Short answer: Yes.

Long answer: Latest drivers have given me problems with my 6800 ultra due to overheating, my girlfriend problems with her gfx5600 (lock ups in CoH). They are the latest drivers and are not WHQL certified, for starters. Secondly, the newer drivers are always going to favor the latest cards rather than continued support of the older ones, so sticking with older drivers may be better.

You can get the older drivers at guru3d.com. I use 6.6 and they seem to work well.
aganitte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 12:12 PM   #3
Camien Ta`Mire

Send a message via AIM to Camien Ta`Mire Send a message via MSN to Camien Ta`Mire Send a message via Yahoo to Camien Ta`Mire
Ok, after I read yopur post, I rolled back my nvidia drivers. After doing this, I got some error popup that kept popping up again and again, even if I left it up, saying "Message to DEVS: Shell: Calling get root key before nview.dll is loaded." So, I ran a system restore...one that was too far back, because I wanted to keep my antivirus software, since I *just* replaced my old one yesterday. So, I foolishly run another restore, for later that day without undoing the first one first. So, I decided that I was just going to undo the restores, and just deal with the video issue after. Now, I ran the undo restores 3x, and it's still on a previous point. I can't uninstall AVG to install and run Avast, can't delete the program files folder for Grisoft (access is denied), and I have no idea what file to download for the 6.6 drivers for nvidia.

Drivers, a whole other issue. Once I get this shit straight, and I do finally find the 6.6 drivers...I am currently running Forceware drivers, 71.89. I know that nvidia drivers have a tendancy not to want to remove themselves, so what do I do once I download the 6.6 drivers? Uninstall drivers for the vid card first, then what? *sigh*

Too much shit going wrong, and no money to buy new shit to replace this one.
Old 06-05-2005, 01:28 PM   #4
Camien Ta`Mire

OK, downloaded the 66.xx drivers, forgot what the last 2 numbers were, and I'm guessing those are the right ones. Uninstalled all of my nvidia files before installing the new drivers, which I didn't do last time I updated.

Redownloaded AVG, installed it, then rebooted, then uninstalled correctly (again), and now I have avast back on, and it's scanning. Then I'll run adaware, and spybot, clean all errors, and then I'll create a new restore point :/

Everything *should* be fixed, I'll know when I run EQ again.
Old 06-07-2005, 02:36 AM   #5
Camien Ta`Mire

It's not fixed, complete description of issues at http://www.livejournal.com/users/milander Going to redo my primary Hard drive when I get a copy of XP Pro that is bootable