Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > NON EQ Stuff (Real life, other games, etc.) > Technical Related

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2005, 04:53 PM   #1
Camien Ta`Mire

Send a message via AIM to Camien Ta`Mire Send a message via MSN to Camien Ta`Mire Send a message via Yahoo to Camien Ta`Mire
Default Computer Issues! (As usual)

Ok, my hard drives don't always show up in the bios, I'm guessing that is caused by the power plugs not fitting as tightly as they should..and that I need to get a new power supply to help that (need a new one anyway, mine is 350W).

Main problem right now is that I have 2 sticks of RAM...a 256 DDR and a 512 DDR. As of this morning, the 512 stick no longer shows up. Computer also randomly reboots...I think that's the hard drive thing tho...but could the rebooting have caused damage to the ram slot or stick?

Random question: I want to get a motherboard that will take a 2.6GHz AMD Athlon XP processor...with the capability of being upgraded to a Athlon 64 later on. What would be a decent board for a moderate price range? And what kind of ram (with heatsinks) would go in it?

I think that's it...and hey, btw...I'm still alive. Finally got internet at home
Camien Ta`Mire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 10:04 PM   #2
FanonFaythunder
ThreadKiller, Bitches

Send a message via ICQ to FanonFaythunder Send a message via AIM to FanonFaythunder
Originally Posted by Camien Ta`Mire
Random question: I want to get a motherboard that will take a 2.6GHz AMD Athlon XP processor...with the capability of being upgraded to a Athlon 64 later on. What would be a decent board for a moderate price range? And what kind of ram (with heatsinks) would go in it?
There's a few dozen reasons you could be having the previous problems, but this question I can address.

I'm assuming you mean an Athlon XP 2600+, which is actually a 2.0Ghz Part I believe. However, to actually answer your question: yes and/or no.

If you own or are somehow obtaining an AthlonXP from somebody, then no, you will not be able to upgrade to an Athlon64 and keep the same motherboard. The old, true AthlonXP parts will not fit in an Athlon64-compatible motherboard.

However, you can get the modern Socket 754 version of the Athlon XP (Which I believe is a bit dumbed down, a la Celeron) which is the Sempron model. You could then upgrade from your Sempron to a Socket 754 Athlon64 sometime down the line and be in good shape. Now, there are downsides to this.

1) Socket 754 will soon be a dead platform. In a year or so it will be phased out in favor of...

2) Socket 939, which is the current and best-supported format for Athlon64 processors. Honestly, if you're planning to purchase a processor and motherboard, you'd be better off getting a budget-targeted Socket 939 motherboard and a low-end Athlon64 right off the bat. The Athlon64 3000+ (Which is the absolute rock-bottom in the A64 939 family) goes for about $150, and you could probably get a barebones motherboard for less than $100.

Think of it this way; it'll mean upgrading 2 components now, instead of 1 now and 2 later. Make sense?

Hope this helps.

No, I don't play... except when I do.
FanonFaythunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005, 02:15 AM   #3
Ashrai

Send a message via MSN to Ashrai
/agree

I just upgraded to a Socket 939 myself, having been on a Socket A for a couple of years. Today's games really throw a lot at the CPU and even with my NVIDIA 6800 in my main system, my Athlon XP cpu just wasn't cutting it. A mobo with a socket 939 will give you decent room to "grow" in terms of upgrading. You can get a pretty decent ABIT socket 939 for about $130 tops.
Ashrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 06:09 PM   #4
aganitte

What Ashrai said.

As to why your memory is dissappearing and your hard drives don't show up, it sounds like perhaps your mobo is fried, probably due to a power supply failure. 350 watts is decent, but that doesn't get to the reason important parts of your system aren't showing up.

Upgrade to a 939 board, get a cheap 64 chip if you can't afford a faster one. You can still use the two DDR memory chips in the 939 board, so long as your memory sticks aren't damaged by your failing system.
aganitte is offline   Reply With Quote