Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > NON EQ Stuff (Real life, other games, etc.) > Technical Related

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2005, 09:01 AM   #1
Davek
Squawk Box

Default some questions on hard drives

I'm looking at some various options for a new hard drive to replace some of my smaller ones. I'm probably looking at the 160 - 200 gig range. It's more for a storage drive than an applications/games running drive.

My MB is an ASUS P5S800-VM and has both 2 X UDMA and 2 X SATA connections.

I'm currently running with 3 HD's and a DVD-ROM, so my UDMA's are currently full.

Question 1) Is there any issues with just adding a SATA drive into the mix?

Question 2) Would I perhaps be better off going the USB external route and save possible headaches later on when upgrading things? (I'm kinda leaning towards this route but am interested in anyones experience with these).

Man that just rolls off the tongue nicely.

Originally Posted by Karthanon View Post
I know, you're in Ottawa, Davek. Still, I can't help but /poke you.
Originally Posted by Drysdale View Post
And you wonder why I don't play nice with you? You leave my man buttons alone.. Those are Davek's.
Davek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 09:37 AM   #2
FanonFaythunder
ThreadKiller, Bitches

Send a message via ICQ to FanonFaythunder Send a message via AIM to FanonFaythunder
Originally Posted by Davek

Question 1) Is there any issues with just adding a SATA drive into the mix?
None whatsoever.

Question 2) Would I perhaps be better off going the USB external route and save possible headaches later on when upgrading things? (I'm kinda leaning towards this route but am interested in anyones experience with these).
The USB drive is going to cost a lot more for the size than the internal drives will, and USB is also a very resource-hungry interface. SATA is here to stay, and there's no real drawbacks to using it.

No, I don't play... except when I do.
FanonFaythunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 09:42 AM   #3
Caeelar

Send a message via Yahoo to Caeelar
SATA drives are generally more expensive per byte then other options. I wouldn't go that route unless your planning on using the drive for gaming and whatnot.

I think for a storage drive, external may be the way to go. You take a performance hit, but if it's just storage.. who cares. I have never used an external drive, so I can say anything as to any issues that might spring up.

Cae
Caeelar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 09:51 AM   #4
Shylodog
Supporter

Send a message via Yahoo to Shylodog
The one GREAT thing about SATA is that it is indeed faster than UDMA drives.

The sorta bad thing is that if you're replacing a UDMA drive with SATA is that you will need to install Windows from scratch (if the SATA drive is to be your bootable Windows drive). Simply because with the different IDE drivers necessary, a simple "windows repair" installation rarely works. You may get BSDs all over the place if you don't install from scratch.

Just my experience here in this hole they call a Tech Shop!

Originally Posted by Hormadrune
Write it down- Chuk made me lolirl
Originally Posted by Drysdale
To bumbleroot: Know what? You're right. I DID misread your statement and I DO apologize.
Shylodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 09:51 AM   #5
FanonFaythunder
ThreadKiller, Bitches

Send a message via ICQ to FanonFaythunder Send a message via AIM to FanonFaythunder
For comparison purposes: 3 Drives on newegg.com, all Western Digital, all 200GB.

Internal IDE:
$105.00 US

Internal SATA:
$110.00 US

External USB:
$168.00 US

Take these prices with a grain of salt, however, because the IDE and SATA drives are both listed at OEM prices, and the External USB drive is a retail box. Add about $20.00 US to the price of the SATA and IDE drives for a better comparison retail vs. retail. In my experience however, OEM drives are the way to go. There's very little in the retail package incentive wise for the extra money unless you really want the upgraded warranties.

Old 04-27-2005, 10:08 AM   #6
Davek
Squawk Box

Well, it's not replacing my system boot drive. It's more to consolidate my 2 smaller storage drives that I currently have. I might keep one of those older drives just to use for System cache.

I'll probably look at replacing the system drive sometime in the next year or so as well, but plan on doing a full system reinstall when I do. That's also partly why I want to consolidate my storage drives.

SATA is looking better the more I think of it. If I really want to transfer files between computers I can do it via network and for that I'm not too concerned on the speed.

And you wonder why I don't play nice with you? You leave my man buttons alone.. Those are Davek's.
Old 04-27-2005, 10:15 AM   #7
FanonFaythunder
ThreadKiller, Bitches

SATA is looking better the more I think of it. If I really want to transfer files between computers I can do it via network and for that I'm not too concerned on the speed.
My buddies and I have gone back and forth on pitching in for a USB drive for our LAN parties, so that we can synch everybody up without hogging network bandwidth while people are trying to get games started. However, in the end, we decided that it was just too much money to spend for very little return.

Besides, Gigabit network hubs are coming down in price, and pretty soon network bandwidth won't be nearly as much of an issue.

Old 04-27-2005, 10:29 AM   #8
Davek
Squawk Box

My buddies and I have gone back and forth on pitching
/snicker. How can I resist an out of context message like that?

Thanks for the info!

Old 04-27-2005, 11:14 AM   #9
FanonFaythunder
ThreadKiller, Bitches

So fired ><

Old 04-28-2005, 10:33 AM   #10
Davek
Squawk Box

Ok, some more "newbie to SATA" questions to make sure I'm not screwing up.

I've purchased a Western Digital 200 Gig SATA drive ($165 CND - not bad, could have gotten it cheaper if I did the online thing, but went with a local reputible shop that I tend to buy my hardware from since they do support for what they sell as well. Plus they are right down the street from me if I do have to drop in).

My MB has a built in SiS RAID Controller (I'm familiar with working with RAID 5 from the servers I manage) which offers JBOD/RAID 0 and RAID 1.

When I installed the new drive, it automatically slapped it on the RAID Controller. I'm figuring this is due to the drive being SATA and not UDMA/EIDE.

I've verified with the software that came with my MB that it's not part of an array at the moment(it's just being used from the RAID Controller), and I don't want it to be used as an array.

--------------

I just wanted to be sure that when I do perform a full fresh system reinstall that this drive is just being accessed as a normal drive and I should have no problems treating it as such and reading it as per normal. (gawd that's a messy sentence).

In otherwords: after fresh XP install(plus patches for larger drives etc), I want to have the peace of mind that I can just click on the drive(non-system disk) and I can access my data.

Old 04-28-2005, 11:00 AM   #11
Caeelar

Send a message via Yahoo to Caeelar
It defaults to a non-raid setup. I recently installed win xp pro on my system with two SATA drives in Raid 0 configuration. I had to jump through some minor hoops to get the drives configured to raid. Unless you specify by hitting some key right when the install starts, it will default to non-raid. I forget which key you hit to get to the raid setup.. think it was f2 or something like that... Anyway, I think you have to have 2 SATA drives to get a raid setup anyway as xp onlyl supports raid 0 (striping w/o parity) and raid 2 (mirroring) if I am not mistaken.

Cae
Caeelar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 11:07 AM   #12
FanonFaythunder
ThreadKiller, Bitches

It'll prompt you as the setup program initializes if "[...] you need to install a third-party RAID or SCSI driver."

Old 04-28-2005, 02:02 PM   #13
Davek
Squawk Box

It'll prompt you as the setup program initializes if "[...] you need to install a third-party RAID or SCSI driver."
Even if I've installed all the drivers for my MB which has the RAID Controller?

The way I verified that it's not actually in an Array atm is by running the SiSRaid program that came with the driver CD for my MB.

I'm 99.999999999% sure that I'm fine as is, just wanted to have verification. I may consider a RAID in the future, but just don't need it now, especially since I'm planning a rebuild of this PC once I get things organized. (pr0n here, pr0n there, original app installs there...etc....oh and more pr0n from over there).