Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > NON EQ Stuff (Real life, other games, etc.) > Technical Related

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2005, 11:27 AM   #1
Davek
Squawk Box

Default Old XP on new PC

Over the weekend my surfing computer bit the dust(99.99999% sure it was the power supply).

I decided now was as good a time as any to do some upgrades on it.

I went out and bought a:

new Case (with 300W power supply)
new MB (Asus P5S800)
new CPU (Intel P4 3.0 GHz)
new RAM (2 X 512 Meg Kingston PC3200)

From my old box I salvaged:

3.5" floppy drive (a sitting ovation from the crowd! Oooooo!)
DVD-ROM
3 Hard drives (main system and 2 storage)
NVidia GForce 256 AGP video card
ATI Rage 128 Video Card

The MB isn't anything super duper but it has an AGP slot which I wanted. I run a dual monitor system thus the 2 video cards.

In essence I was hoping to slap this all together and get windows to boot and play around with drivers and fix things for what's in the computer now as opposed to some of the old stuff that is no longer there.

I managed to get everything installed and it powers up ok(no beeps and everything sounds/looks good) until Windows XP *cough* corporate *cough* tries to load.

I get as far as it wanting to know if I want to do the safe modes or last known good...etc.

None of those options get me anywhere other than a reboot and back to the same screen.

I try booting from my Win XP CD to try the recovery that way. Best I seem to be able to do is get me to a DOS like command line(after using my admin ID and password...that works thankfully).

I have no problems navigating my C: drive and all looks fine there.

What other options do I have other than a Re-install?

I'd prefer to avoid that if I can since some of the settings I had on it I'm not too sure.

Man that just rolls off the tongue nicely.

Originally Posted by Karthanon View Post
I know, you're in Ottawa, Davek. Still, I can't help but /poke you.
Originally Posted by Drysdale View Post
And you wonder why I don't play nice with you? You leave my man buttons alone.. Those are Davek's.
Davek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 11:40 AM   #2
goksga

I was having the same problems a couple of weeks ago. Turned out I had a bad RAM module. I could boot up fine w/ only 1 stick in (the good one). Try taking out the second module and see if it boots up that way or run a memory test found here

http://www.memtest86.com/
goksga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 11:41 AM   #3
Wildane
Psychopath w/a conscience

Don't think there's a way around a reinstall when the replacement of the motherboard and chip is concerned. You can try doing an overlay (reinstalling the OS without formatting the drive) to see if that would work. Otherwise, wave bye-bye to your custom settings.

"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear." - Thomas Jefferson
Wildane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 12:37 PM   #4
Davek
Squawk Box

I found this article:

http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.c...eid=418&page=5

Which has this info:

What to do when the cloning to the new PC is complete?

When the cloning operation is complete, remove the old drive and boot up the new computer with the windows XP CD in the CD drive. You will need to ensure that the system is set to boot from the CD drive first. If it is not, this can be easily changed in the BIOS.

Press any key when prompted to boot from the XP CD.

You now need to perform a "Windows XP repair install," which redetects all hardware and reinstalls system files without touching the registry or user data present on the system. This process adapts your Windows XP install to the new hardware it is running on.
To do this first choose the "press enter to set up Windows XP now" option when prompted. Then, press F8 to skip through the EULA (though if you haven't read it before, you should now), and when the option presents itself, pres "R" to begin the repair installation.

Be very careful not to in advertently set you computer to simply reinstall the new drive. If you do this, the operating system will start from scratch, wiping out your data in the process. The computer will go through the entire XP install process, but will not attempt to replace any of your existing data. It will simply reinstall the system files and redetect all the hardware.

Once the Window XP repair install has completed, boot the system normally. You will be prompted to activate your copy of Windows XP again. Follow the onscreen procedure to activate XP over the phone. Now that you are back in your familiar WinXP environment, the final steps are to reinstall any drivers that may be missing, and to redo any patches and service packs that you applied previously.
Seems fairly relative, so I'm in the middle of trying it out now.

I'll let you know if this works or not!

And you wonder why I don't play nice with you? You leave my man buttons alone.. Those are Davek's.
Old 03-31-2005, 04:58 PM   #5
Davek
Squawk Box

Wow, amazingly enough that did work.

I thought for a bit there that it might have screwed up and was doing an install over the old one, but it went pretty much as described in the last paragraph I quoted.

Just a matter of reapplying the patches and hardware drivers and I seem to be in good shape!

Old 04-13-2005, 08:12 AM   #6
FanonFaythunder
ThreadKiller, Bitches

Send a message via ICQ to FanonFaythunder Send a message via AIM to FanonFaythunder
What generally gets you is that windows will try to load the previous chipset drivers, encounter the new chipset, and have a spontaneous nervous breakdown as it tries to determine its true identity.

This problem creeps up *a WHOLE lot* when going between VIA and nvidia platforms, so I wouldn't be surprised to see it happen with other chipsets as well. If you run diagnostics, you can see that the boot process stalls out as soon as it tries to load the chipset driver.

Annoying as fuck, trust me, I know. Go go unified drivers (nvidia to nvidia upgrades 4tehwin).

No, I don't play... except when I do.
FanonFaythunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 08:58 AM   #7
Davek
Squawk Box

What got me was this step:

Windows XP install to the new hardware it is running on.
To do this first choose the "press enter to set up Windows XP now" option when prompted. Then, press F8 to skip through the EULA (though if you haven't read it before, you should now), and when the option presents itself, pres "R" to begin the repair installation.
I probably wouldn't have thought about going in to "Set up Windows XP now" in order to try a repair when I had all these other places to try a repair with(which didn't do the job of actually repairing).

When I see a "Set up Windows XP now" option, I think "New Install", not "Repair Install".