Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > NON EQ Stuff (Real life, other games, etc.) > Steam Vent

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2012, 12:25 PM   #1
Wildane
Psychopath w/a conscience

Default America the Apologetic

Protesters storm U.S. Embassy in Cairo
Angry protesters climbed the walls of the U.S. Embassy in Cairo on Tuesday and hauled down the American flag, replacing it with a black standard with Islamic emblems, apparently in protest of the production of a film thought to insult the Prophet Mohammed.

The incident prompted a volley of warning shots to be fired as a large crowd gathered outside, said CNN producer Mohammed Fahmy, who was on the scene.

The replacement flag read, "There is no God but Allah and Mohammad is his messenger."

Others expressed more general grievances about U.S. policy, chanting anti-American slogans and holding up bits of a shredded American flag to television camera crews in front of the embassy.

An embassy operator told CNN that the facility had been cleared of diplomatic personnel earlier Tuesday, ahead of the apparent threat, while Egyptian riot police were called to help secure the area.

The U.S. Embassy said in a statement Tuesday that it "condemns the continuing efforts by misguided individuals to hurt the religious feelings of Muslims -- as we condemn efforts to offend believers of all religions."

"Respect for religious beliefs is a cornerstone of American democracy," the statement said. "We firmly reject the actions by those who abuse the universal right of free speech to hurt the religious beliefs of others."

The incident occurred on the 11th anniversary of the September 11 attacks in New York, Washington and Pennsylvania, as crowds gathered in somber remembrance of the nearly 3,000 people killed that day.

It is not clear which film upset the protesters in Cairo.

In 2008, an anti-Muslim and anti-immigration parliamentarian from The Netherlands sparked international outcry when he produced a film that portrayed Islam as a violent religion.

Geert Wilders' film "Fitna," which he released online, featured images of terrorist acts superimposed over verses from the Quran.
<atheist rant>
You know what? I don't have to respect your religion. Not at all. I respect your right to practice whatever your faith, and while I will acknowledge your belief, I'm under no obligation to respect it. Do any of you respect Pastafarianism? Neither do I; I think it's funny, but that's about it. Respect is earned. Until you can give me something other than faith as a reason to believe what you believe is true, your belief has not earned my respect. But, for some reason, it seems that respect for religion will ALWAYS trump freedom of speech.
</atheist rant>

Let's see, a movie was allegedly produced in the US that might have made light of Mohammed, so protesters stormed the embassy, violently rending our US flag and replacing it with their own, and WE are the ones apologizing?? Fuck that. We're just lucky nobody was killed (yet). Sometimes it seems as if our country has no fucking spine. We condemn entertainers instead of angry mobs. That is diplomacy gone awry if ever I saw it. Fucking cowards.

"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear." - Thomas Jefferson
Wildane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 12:30 PM   #2
Pinkheart

Originally Posted by Wildane View Post
Protesters storm U.S. Embassy in Cairo<atheist rant>
You know what? I don't have to respect your religion. Not at all. I respect your right to practice whatever your faith, and while I will acknowledge your belief, I'm under no obligation to respect it. Do any of you respect Pastafarianism? Neither do I; I think it's funny, but that's about it. Respect is earned. Until you can give me something other than faith as a reason to believe what you believe is true, your belief has not earned my respect. But, for some reason, it seems that respect for religion will ALWAYS trump freedom of speech.
</atheist rant>

Let's see, a movie was allegedly produced in the US that might have made light of Mohammed, so protesters stormed the embassy, violently rending our US flag and replacing it with their own, and WE are the ones apologizing?? Fuck that. We're just lucky nobody was killed (yet). Sometimes it seems as if our country has no fucking spine. We condemn entertainers instead of angry mobs. That is diplomacy gone awry if ever I saw it. Fucking cowards.
They should have gunned their asses down, and told them that was only a taste of what attacking America would bring them.
Pinkheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:32 PM   #3
Lith Ahntalon

Send a message via AIM to Lith Ahntalon Send a message via Yahoo to Lith Ahntalon
Originally Posted by Pinkheart View Post
They should have gunned their asses down, and told them that was only a taste of what attacking America would bring them.
Pretty much this and there was a time when those crowds would have been met by machine gun fire because Embassy Grounds are considered the soil of the the nation represented at the Embassy. When they crossed onto the grounds there were literally invading US soil.
Old 09-12-2012, 07:27 AM   #4
Drysdale
RSS Feed

I actually applaud your atheist rant. Just sayin'

But Obama doesn't have the stones to be a dog catcher, let alone president.
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."
-Robert A. Heinlein

"Thou shalt not steal. Except by majority vote." - Gary North
Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:49 AM   #5
Wildane

Originally Posted by Drysdale View Post
I actually applaud your atheist rant. Just sayin'
Good. I was trying not to make it TOO confrontational. I try to reserve the real fervor for Young Earth Creationists, Mormons and Scientologists.

"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear." - Thomas Jefferson
Old 09-12-2012, 09:07 AM   #6
Pinkheart

Originally Posted by Lith Ahntalon View Post
Pretty much this and there was a time when those crowds would have been met by machine gun fire because Embassy Grounds are considered the soil of the the nation represented at the Embassy. When they crossed onto the grounds there were literally invading US soil.
I still consider it so. I realize that these people might not represent the nation as a whole... and that's okay... because you should only be slaughtering the people attacking the embassy.

Now they have killed one of our diplomats.

Sadly, I don't think Obama or Romney has the balls to order them to massacre any of the attackers.

They could send Dick Cheney in there with his hunting rifle....

In any case, as soon as the news of the attack started, they should have mobilized and eliminated- NOT surpressed, NOT diffuse, and NOT condemn. They should have ELIMINATED.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:45 AM   #7
Drysdale
RSS Feed

They could send Dick Cheney in there with his hunting rifle....
Puh leeze... Cheney doesn't need a rifle...
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."
-Robert A. Heinlein

Old 09-12-2012, 12:11 PM   #8
Pinkheart

Kind of strange, though - doncha think? When we (from all ends of the political spectrum) all seem to agree on something like this- you would think the politicians would likely think it a slam dunk or be yelling and shouting.

Instead we have a milquetoast Presidential response... a politicizing challenger... and a Congress that should be up at arms just kind of twiddling their thumbs.

WTF??

Are we on this board the only ones that feel this way? Do we all just happen to be extremists in the same particular way, despite our political differences? What the hell is going on??

Edit: Oh, I see now we are "tracking them down"... in other words another wild goose chase, instead of killing the bastards that actually did it when we had the chance. Great. This sucks. This whole government just really fucking sucks. Last straw for me. We got attacked in broad daylight. Billions in defense spending, worthless. Politicians on both sides- pussies. I've had it. "None of the above" is my vote. They are all worthless dogshit. Republicans are corrupt souless pieces of money grubbing shit, and democrats are thieves and liars- both are worthless spineless vaginas. Partisans are nothing but flies on shit. Had it!

Last edited by Pinkheart; 09-12-2012 at 12:20 PM.
Old 09-12-2012, 01:11 PM   #9
Aolynd

Agree.

They won't like or respect us more for trying to buy them another new lollipop. History tells a different story. The "good guys" are the ones who won. They'll like us when we win.
Aolynd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 02:02 PM   #10
Wildane

Puh leeze... Cheney doesn't need a rifle...
No, just a couple of backup hearts.

Old 09-12-2012, 02:06 PM   #11
Wildane

Our "leaders" are a bunch of pandering pussies. Unless Rand Paul gets his way, we're likely going to continue sending billions in aid to Pakistan when they are clearly no ally of ours. Fucking politicians.

Old 09-12-2012, 02:20 PM   #12
Michael Cumberlan

I am really getting tired of the ENTIRE UNITED STATES of AMERICA getting blamed when some ONE PERSON or GROUP decides to exercise its free speech. Its just an excuse to persecute us. We keep trying to say things like "Not ALL Muslims are terrorists" and for the most part I think Americans get it ... but then crap like these attacks happen ... if the U.S. took the same tack that the Arab peoples take, we would just nuke them off the face of the earth ... because, one affront to our embassy by a few thousand is the equivalent of "KILL THE ENTIRE NATION of TRESPASSER BLASPHEMERS."

Of course that is ridiculous, but isn't that how the Muslim world is reacting?

I know this next line is not going to win me any points, and I am NOT a fan, but Romney was right - Our government APOLOGIZED for the Mohammed film rather than saying - GET OVER IT - it was a small group of radicals (Christians, maybe ... LOL), and that is not an excuse to go all jihad on our entire nation. Of course, he is now going to be pilloried because he "politicied" a national tragedy - gee, what has the Democratic party been doing when they trumpet the assassination of Osama bin Laden?

Until the Muslim world gets out of its 1,000 years behind the times response to anything, the U.S. policy needs to be - treat them as they would treat us in the reverse situation. As folks above said, when the French storm our embassy, praise their food and apologize for our horrible accents. When Libyans storn our embassies, BLOW THEIR ASSES UP!!!
Michael Cumberlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 04:15 PM   #13
Lith Ahntalon

Send a message via AIM to Lith Ahntalon Send a message via Yahoo to Lith Ahntalon
What I do not think a lot of folks realize is that being "diplomatic" is simply seen as weakness, nothing more. One of the things I learned early on in my career is that there are some people who respect nothing but force, anything else is simply seen as weakness. IMO radical Islamics are such people.

Also, all of our "diplomacy" is only delaying the inevitable. It will eventually come to a head (it came close on 9/11) then it will HAVE to a be Katie bar the Door slugfest, I just hope we do not wait too long.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:30 AM   #14
Pinkheart

Originally Posted by Michael Cumberlan View Post

Until the Muslim world gets out of its 1,000 years behind the times response to anything, the U.S. policy needs to be - treat them as they would treat us in the reverse situation. As folks above said, when the French storm our embassy, praise their food and apologize for our horrible accents. When Libyans storn our embassies, BLOW THEIR ASSES UP!!!
Although I DO like French food, I don't think it matters, Muslim, French, German, Greek- Anyone attacking our embassy should be eliminated. ANYONE. I don't think it has anything to do with treating them like they treat us- It has to do with treating attackers like attackers, regardless of who they are.

Sorry- If an English mob attacked our embassy, I would say the same damn thing- mow them down. You don't attack the U.S. Period, or you will be destroyed.

That doesn't mean we would attack England, of course... it is just self defense of our country/property/sovereignity.
Old 09-13-2012, 12:07 PM   #15
Drysdale
RSS Feed

Originally Posted by Pinko
Although I DO like French food, I don't think it matters, Muslim, French, German, Greek- Anyone attacking our embassy should be eliminated.
Kinda hard with the idiot in charge won't let your Marines have bullets...
-Robert A. Heinlein

Old 09-13-2012, 01:15 PM   #16
Michael Cumberlan

Although I DO like French food, I don't think it matters, Muslim, French, German, Greek- Anyone attacking our embassy should be eliminated. ANYONE. I don't think it has anything to do with treating them like they treat us- It has to do with treating attackers like attackers, regardless of who they are.

Sorry- If an English mob attacked our embassy, I would say the same damn thing- mow them down. You don't attack the U.S. Period, or you will be destroyed.

That doesn't mean we would attack England, of course... it is just self defense of our country/property/sovereignity.
LOL ... I think my point was more humorous ... a French "attack" on our embassy could be as brutal as a bunch of pencil-moustached beret wearing nationals whining about how crude and boring Americans are ...

... of course, it could also be a mob of angry Frenchmen trying to blow the place up ... in which case - damn straight fire away!
Michael Cumberlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 01:24 PM   #17
Davek
Squawk Box

WTF is all this "French" talk? I thought y'all replaced the word "French" with "Freedom" 11 years ago?

Man that just rolls off the tongue nicely.

Originally Posted by Karthanon View Post
I know, you're in Ottawa, Davek. Still, I can't help but /poke you.
And you wonder why I don't play nice with you? You leave my man buttons alone.. Those are Davek's.
Davek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 03:41 PM   #18
FafnerMorell
Warrior 4 the working-day

White House press secretary Jay Carney said Friday the violent protests throughout the Middle East are not directed at the United States or U.S. policy but are a response to a YouTube video:

CARNEY: We also need to understand that this is a fairly volatile situation and it is in response not to United States policy, and not to, obviously, the administration, or the American people, but it is in response to a video, a film that we have judged to be be reprehensible and disgusting. That in no way justifies any violent reaction to it, but this is not a case of protests directed at the United States writ large or at U.S. policy, this is in response to a video that is offensive to Muslims.
Well, it's good to know that when the Americans over there were killed, it wasn't meant personally or against America. And I can understand that -after all, when watching a Youtube of a cat playing the piano, and doing it rather poorly, who hasn't wanted to kill several people just to make it clear that you're offended at the offensive way that cats and pianos were portrayed.
-- William Shakespeare, Henvy V, Act 4, Scene 3
FafnerMorell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 10:21 AM   #19
Pinkheart

Originally Posted by FafnerMorell View Post
Well, it's good to know that when the Americans over there were killed, it wasn't meant personally or against America. And I can understand that -after all, when watching a Youtube of a cat playing the piano, and doing it rather poorly, who hasn't wanted to kill several people just to make it clear that you're offended at the offensive way that cats and pianos were portrayed.
Oh, and I suppose the outcries about how criticism of religion should be illegal in the U.S. by foreign nationals is also REALLY just a critique of cinematography and not really a criticism of the US and US policies. Nice to know.

One thing I will say for US loonies complaining about any criticism of religion, at least they are generally non-violent. I get tired of hearing about the government's "war on religion", but this is a good reminder of the difference in the US way of doing things and the way people dissent in foreign countries.

It's also a good reminder of how the US must remain vigilant in protecting our freedoms, whether it be challenged by religious zealots who want to convert the government to a theocracy, or anti-religious groups that want to eliminate our rights to worship.

I guess you have a decent balance when no one is happy.