Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > NON EQ Stuff (Real life, other games, etc.) > Steam Vent

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2015, 09:42 AM   #1
Misty
Do Not Disturb

Default Deer Huntin' we will go

Got a 2014 Mathews Monster Chill R (nifty Compound Bow) 2nd Hand on eBay, for USD $620.00.

Here's the thing:
My home state Victoria has abundant Sambar, Fallow, Rusa, Chital and Hog deer running feral in alpine national park 'High Country'. Here is an important note - afaik there is no Shooters Permit required for Bow Hunting here, a Game Licence is cheap and entitles oneself to a year round Open Season with zero bag limit impost, except for Hog deer (x1 Buck and x1 Doe limit per annum). That's right, deer season is year round, except from Dec 15th to Feb 15th and Easter, from Thursday prior to up to Thursday after Easter Sunday, in State Parks/National Parks. Hunting with dogs has restrictions including pack-size and actual permitted breeds. I'm not actually interested in hunting with dogs here, given the regulation hoops, and the more telling factor that I don't own any. Fire season in High Country is about when there's no hunting on Stae Parks so I'm happy with that (you don't want to know about aussie remote country in 'hot' weather conditions)

I've seen the samples of specimens taken by Bowhunting, deer populations here seem to be doing pretty well, the Sambar population is both growing and extending in the range of its occurrance, distribution, and abundance. A particular interest, given the quality of pelt/coat for both Chital and Sambar is the notion of curing and tanning a bunch for rugs/blankets/doona ..as a kinda territorial domain/bachelor statement.

I'm posting this stuff after getting hooked by YouTube clips of Bowhunting experiences. There are some pretty cool clips of various kinds of 'encounter' with wild game more or less steering my tastes away from the contrasting overall tone of shooters. There's redneck fever distributed across both camps, yes but on the whole shooting shit with guns is left smelling bad, in more than a single sense.
"*blink* *blink* *blink*
*bliiiink* *bliiiink* *bliiiink*
*blink* *blink* *blink*
[fixt]

Mistyglen 68 Half Elf StormWarden (retired)
ex-Mystic Blue, ex-Sundered Heart, ex-Heart of Fenris
Redback's stuff
Redback 72 WoodElf Ranger (Lucid Devotion)
Misty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 10:24 AM   #2
Drysdale
RSS Feed

Get ready to sit a lot!

But hopefully, you'll nab some... Venison is tasty! Don't forget to properly dress the deer pretty quickly. Esp. if it's a buck. The scent glands on the back legs can spoil the meat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYxBOsq2kaU
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."
-Robert A. Heinlein

"Thou shalt not steal. Except by majority vote." - Gary North
Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 02:18 PM   #3
Misty
Do Not Disturb

Yeah! Thnx man

I'm not really taking aim at firearms respectably toted In the main, its easy to make the observation that being 'respectable' closely resembles doing absolutely nothing at all, no matter what. People in my land over here seem pretty confident a fella like me has next to no chance getting inside Bow range of them plentiful deer, there's no bag limit, open season is year round and Bows is even less law-struck than that. I can go places with a Bow in times and places the shooters can't. So deer stalking with a Bow is still respectable, for now.

Here's my idea for a ground blind Rafferty canvas Swag it's PVC tub lining can be cut out. That black interior is the bedding and net. I think it'll sit okay free-standing over a 2-3 foot trench pit with an occasional tent peg. Or whatever drop-away will give the right headroom, some back footing and a clear shot. I like the way these dome swags open out.

Next - a tree stand, brrr. Its dicey, risk a mistep out there, in remote country. Am I lucky? Maybe not, lmao that guy (cool clip though!).

The hiker has to haul everything out on their back, or on a cart. These are lonely places. Vehicles are not allowed the liberty to just trek all over, but some Forest Parks will allow horses (Avon Wilderness might). After a road out onto the 'foothills' along ways that have not been sealed, sans landslides, fallen trees, flooded road, winter snowfalls, Joe Public must leave their vehicle and hoof it out the rest. Official walking tracks are also randomly subject to closure, depending on weather conditions and season: there's just you the hiker, your backpack, compass and maps, and them jittery deer.

A mile or two uphill, then downhill and cross-country, in mountainous terrain, an older, less physically conditioned native of the flattest continent on Earth is going to be getting tired. That's just the hike in. Here's a favorite youtube clip that helps see what hiking into deer country probably entails: I've been around my state and seen a fair bit of the aussie East coast, so I know my own woods

The readiness of a doubting world to let me on through State Park wilderness, with a bow, I figure is simply its manifest cynicism. Since easing off the peak draw weight at the Limb bolts my Bow is much easier to draw.

'The Field Archer' youtube clip shows a N.A. guy putting darts into White Tail deer. His arrows pass right through the hart (geddit? heart, hart?).

PS. My Bow arrived better than 'used'. It came in an 'As New' condition. Enjoy the clips.

PPS. As a kid my mom's home was in a neighborhood next to an abattoir AND a meatworks/distributor that let me hang around as sheep, pigs and cattle were herded through pens, sold in lots, slaughtered, and butchered (gutted, skinned, dressed, cut into 'sides' etc) day in, day out. An uncle often took me out shooting rabbits which I learned to gut and dress. I've been in a boning room at those same abattoirs and watched their filleting work. Even stayed on a wheat farm, where we shot our own sheep and dressed 'em on a hook for the kitchen: gutting a deer I got covered.

Makes sense to skin and field dress a deer, the meat can be more easily toted out wrapped in deer hide to save extra weight (bones, alimentary canal, lungs, heart, liver, kidneys, bladder all simply left behind for the funeral). Only thing I won't do happily is scale and clean somebody else's fish - it blunts knives so quickly and the spiny bastards hurt. Just the same, all the info about the scent glands getting into the meat 'n affecting the taste is more info than I had ..thanks for the info.
"*blink* *blink* *blink*
*blink* *blink* *blink*
[fixt]

Redback's stuff

Last edited by Misty; 02-07-2015 at 06:17 PM. Reason: Additional comment and link updates
Old 02-07-2015, 12:33 PM   #4
Ice Weasel X
Banned User

Send a message via AIM to Ice Weasel X
I'm not a fan of prepping meat myself, but I want some venison. Haven't had any in years. I don't think there are any restaurants less than an hour away that serve it.
Old 02-16-2015, 07:12 AM   #5
Misty
Do Not Disturb

I'm happy to bring anyone hunting, I just never hunted deer before...

At a guess, and if they're anything like my boxer dogs or house cat in the distant past, deer catch the morning sun in colder weather (sunning themselves). That'd put 'em on the sunny-side of an East-West ridge in mid-mornings (which I presume means the Southerly slope of N.A. gullies off ridges running East-West since you're all North of the equator).

Nights out bush get below freezing, bright sun and cold mornings guarantee where deer'll be hidden in the brush, after morning ablutions and forage especially in colder months. Which is around deer season in USA, as well. 'cept white-tails probably are more pressured by human encroachment, and well, large carnivores.

About the only carnivores in Victorian high country are the native wild dogs (Dingoes). Or the feral dogs. So 'Pest' species like the feral dogs, and even our native wild dogs are legally considered 'vermin', they can often be shot on sight. Still I'd hesitate to tackle a pack of 5-6 dingoes when out on my own, actually no it'd be no trouble.

I advise to not hesitate should you ever find yourself in Victoria's alpine parks (to draw your bow). If one so much as locked eyes on me, it's business ..nothing personal doggies.

Never heard of a dingo pack prey upon solitary humans, but then, you wouldn't if there was a big pack, now would you? I just don't know how large a number a single dingo pack can be. I'm hearing 'scores' for dog packs, in general. So it could easily blow all out of a solo dudes control.

If there's more than 5-6 uh, I'll climb a tree...

Obviously dingoes are predatory so I don't mind saying, from viewing only one youtube clip of a pack preying on a Sambar Hind's newborn fawn, alpine dingoes are congregating in larger social packs than I'd have credited. And they are co-operative opportunists, seen in the video linked: imho if the dingo social pack taste success on large game like deer they will throw caution to the wind, and become dangerously bolder with humans in their territory.

I'm not inclined to give a wild dog the benefit of my doubt - if there is an chance encounter, this promises an uncertain fate - if they do not immediately make themselves scarce start shooting. So that'd be the first warning sign. Folks.
"*blink* *blink* *blink*
*blink* *blink* *blink*
[fixt]

Redback's stuff

Last edited by Misty; 06-19-2015 at 03:51 PM.
Old 02-19-2015, 01:50 AM   #6
Ice Weasel X
Banned User

Send a message via AIM to Ice Weasel X
Slightly off-topic, but while talking about bowhunting with someone recently, I saw this video. There are a couple of seriously creepy moments, and I'm not talking about the deer or the archer...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_DBRmy9WTs
Old 03-16-2015, 09:37 AM   #7
Misty
Do Not Disturb

You're thinking of that killer doll movie that was out just a month ago or so, Title was the name of the doll (which I can't remember). AmIright? Of course you mean the fat kid and a dose of brrr
"*blink* *blink* *blink*
*blink* *blink* *blink*
[fixt]

Redback's stuff