Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > EverQuest > Chit-Chat Lounge

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2003, 02:00 PM   #1
Medion Palemoon
Supporter

Send a message via AIM to Medion Palemoon
Default Military - "Thank you for your service.."

Over the last few months, many people in EQ who know my occupation have finished their conversation with me with "thank you for your service to our country." Lately, I've realized this actually offends me! Why?

Like many people fresh out of highschool, I still didn't know what I wanted to do in life. So, the military offered me 5 years stable pay + education during and after service. I figured it was a good offer. I didn't think of or care for dying for another American that I didn't know, much less an "opressed Iraqi" who really didn't want my help.

Things are different now. In the military, you make friends. And if my unit was told "you're going," many of us would have layed down our lives if needed.

However, this didn't happen. For the majority of the past 6 months, I've logged more EQ time than I ever have in a similiar timespan.

So I'm offended because people were out there working their asses off, wondering if they would make it home. Their are widows and children less than 5 miles from where I am now, STILL weeping over their losses...

So when someone thanks me for something I did not do, I feel offended, because I know people who did do it, without thanks.

Last edited by Medion Palemoon; 07-08-2003 at 02:14 PM.
Medion Palemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2003, 02:04 PM   #2
Tormarc

you are ready to if needed, doesnt that count for something?
Tormarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2003, 04:35 AM   #3
romadranger

Well I don't quite agree with you, sad to say. I'm TACP for the air force and just returned from Iraq about 2 weeks ago. I felt the same way that you do before i left. I didn't get a chance to do much because i was there for the end of the war, but although you didn't get to accomplish anything at this time, being in Iaq knowing that if i go down that there will be someone in the rear to pick me up gives me more strength to go out there and push my self and not to be afraid. If I didn't have you in the rear to pick me up, then I have to be a lil wus and sit back so that I can keep my ass alive just for show of force...besides you will get your chance.

Colbie
Ranger of Forest Brotherhood
romadranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2003, 04:58 AM   #4
Gravdiger

Send a message via AIM to Gravdiger
I personally believe that when someone uses the phrase

Thank you for your Service

It isnt totally directed to you, it is meant as a General Statement to Thanks all Soldiers for their Service.

Yeah you may have not been to the War to Fight, but what you do in the Background and what Everybody in the Military does helps protect the Freedom, and Helps Serve your Country. The Personnel People who Work the Military Pay and Records, normally never see Combat, but that doesnt mean they are not serving, what they are doing, is helping those out there on the Combat Lines which is the Reason that Anybody Serving, is Thanked for their Service.

That is just my Opinion

From Serving my little time in.
Fuuman Isgravsbot (70th Season Shaman) (Fully Retired)
Gravdiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2003, 05:30 AM   #5
romadranger

Thanks grave that's what i was trying to get at but couldn't find a way. thx

Colbie
Ranger of Forest Brotherhood
romadranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2003, 05:56 AM   #6
Felessan

Remember this brother...we don't decide when/if we go. These are also not concerns of ours when we signed up, in the first place. The very real possibility of going in harms way, under fire, at a moments notice is what people are thanking us for. I won't even go into the hazards of the damn training environment, which most people know nothing about. In alot of cases, the training area is more hazardous than the FEBA.

In the end...we all do our service, whether in a forward area, or in a support role.

<---PJ, 6 years...now SF.

Check Six...and go easy.

Out here,

"The things we do in life, echo in eternity!"
Felessan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2003, 07:35 AM   #7
Kallysti

I think when they see you and thank you for your service it is not just you. In my mind, at least, when it comes to the military, when I talk to one, I think of ALL - everyone I knew or heard of that left or didn't, everyone who came back and well....

I guess I'm kinda saying each person is a symbol of everyone who has served and we are reminded. (I grew up an Army brat, btw, tho I never served, myself)

I hope that makes sense.

Sometimes there is no answer.
Kallysti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2003, 11:19 AM   #8
Wenjii

We can't thank the ones who have paid the ultimate price for our freedom, so we thank the ones who are willing to.

/starts to thank Medion....stops

High Five?
Wenjii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2003, 02:21 PM   #9
PrincessRazz

I think you should be honored to get a "thank you" no matter if you went to "war" or not you would have if your had been called to and if any thing happend here at home you would have been up and ready to defend our country.

My husband is in his 3rd week of BT for the USAF and i thank him every day just for takeing the steps that he has to secure our great country. And to make me feel safe every night when i go to bed.

So i thank you and every other man or woman who is ready at any time to serve this country

Kristen, Proud wife of BA Kenneth Rice of the USAF
PrincessRazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2003, 03:24 PM   #10
Aishen L`Fey
Princess Kooky

Send a message via AIM to Aishen L`Fey
Many people seem to have it in their heads that a person's sacrifices aren't worth acknowledging or showing appreciation for until they make the ultimate sacrifice- death.

Did we, as a nation, show much respect to our law enforcement officials, firemen, and servicemen until 9/11 when they died en masse on the job and war followed? No matter how many thanks we throw their way now, it's pointless because it's in the past, they're gone, and there's nothing we can do.

What we CAN do is show appreciation for our fellow brothers and sisters while they can still hear it, so we don't live in the shadow of regret. Perhaps the biggest lesson learned within these last few years is that life really is fragile and you better say what you need to say when people are still here to hear it.

By throwing civilians' thanks back in their faces, you're disrespecting and slapping the faces of those servicemen and women who've gone before you. What America needs now is to rekindle our appreciation of those who still serve under the banner of patriotism and heed the call of duty. Those who've already passed were the ones who rekindled and won that appreciation back for those that carry on. It's your job to live up to it, not ridicule it.

It's not often we live for the here and now. It's not often people get the recognition they deserve in the present before they've gone on. It's a gift won with blood. Servicemen and women (and not to mention their families) make so many sacrifices to accomodate for the military life. On average, I spend 1/2-2/3 of the year with my husband, who is active duty on subs (this is during times of peace). Why do we have to die before we can be acknowledged for it? Why do you feel you need to die before you're worthy of acknowledgement for your readiness to heed the call of duty?

I also understand that you weren't gung-ho about joining the military, that you joined for more pragmatic reasons than idealistic ones. So? Whether someone joins in the spirit of idealism, desperation, or selfishness doesn't really matter- they all maintain the same military lifestyle and all make similar sacrifices in the end.

Last edited by Aishen L`Fey; 07-09-2003 at 03:27 PM.
Aishen L`Fey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2003, 11:55 PM   #11
Healum

Default Just a thought

Having served 10 years but am no longer in, I say "thank you for your service to our country." You ask why? I am not there in Iraq.
Well, it does not or should not take a war for Americans to be thankful to you and the rest of the men and women of the armed services.

Everyday you put your life on the line, dedicate you life for the rest of us to have freedoms many of us don't fully understand, and even though you would give you life for your country, you still pay a great sacrifice of leaving your loved ones and family, during war and not.

I ask that you don't hang your head when people say thank you, but stand tall and look them in the eye, let them know you are just doing your duty. I think the military for many years was not given it's due respect. Will it always be this way? Probably not. Accept the thanks for all your brothers and sisters and pass it on to them. Let them know that we here back home support them 100% and our thoughts and prayers are with them daily.

I salute you and all the rest of my brothers and sisters of the US Armed forces! It matters not if you are in Iraq or in the US. You are serving us, the American populace. Thank you.

Healum
Healum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 08:29 AM   #12
Qool

So, the military offered me 5 years stable pay + education during and after service. I figured it was a good offer. I didn't think of or care for dying for another American that I didn't know
No offense, but this is seriously the wrong reason to join the military.

Its not about the free ride or dying for your country. Its about serving your country. I saw too many people join for this reason. So, if you are thinking of joining the military, its not a country club. Depending on what branch you join, you will get shot at. You will be put in danger. And you will be doing it for your fellow Americans so they can sit at home clueless about what it takes to preserve their way of life. And they will never understand what it took or what it was like even if you try explaining it.

So, I for one will not thank you. But at least you had the fortitude to go when told. I commend you for that.

Q
Qool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 09:01 AM   #13
Karisma

I'm an Army brat. I grew up around military all my life--one grandfather flew the hump in WWII, the other was a tank driver in the war and an instructor for the Army for many years after. My father was in for 20 years, did his tour in Vietnam, and only retired when his back was too bad to pass muster for promotion. One uncle was USAF, another Army, and my dearest cousin is currently flying his CH-46 over the sands of Iraq. I lived at West Point for five years of my life, and several of my close friends have joined the military at one time or another.

Not everyone joins the military for the "right" reasons. My father was as patriotic as the next man considering the time he grew up in, but he mostly went to West Point because it was a good quality education for free. I can name at least three more friends who only joined because they couldn't afford college. That doesn't make them any worse soldiers, or mean that they are or will be any less devoted to their country and their duty. Duty, Honor, Country isn't necessarily something someone is born with. Many people learn it, and some the hard way.

That Medion cares enough to feel the thanks should be directed to those in the line of fire, that he says he now would be willing to go and lay down his life, proves that he *does* understand. When it comes down to it, the mass of enlisted members of our nation's military didn't join because of Qool's "right" reasons, but they are serving, many of them giving their lives, and they deserve no less thanks.

Medion, don't be offended, but rather pass on the thanks. Many people will thank servicepeople at home because they don't know how to show their thanks to those serving abroad. Be honored that you and they both serve, no matter the how or why, and accept the thanks with dignity.

Last edited by Karisma; 07-10-2003 at 09:16 AM.
Karisma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 12:44 PM   #14
Medion Palemoon
Supporter

Qool - I joined because I"m seeking self improvement and a direction in life. I joined with teh basic understanding that I may be shot at.

I did join for the right reasons, no matter what a person like you says.
Old 07-10-2003, 01:41 PM   #15
Tuan00Dorf

Well Medion it doesn't sound like it from your inital post

I didn't think of or care for dying for another American that I didn't know, much less an "opressed Iraqi" who really didn't want my help.
Think that's what Qool is going off of.
Old 07-10-2003, 04:14 PM   #16
Medion Palemoon
Supporter

Tehre is a difference between caring to die, and willing to. At the time, I didn't care to, but understood the risks and accepted them.

Now, after witnessing people that I know in harms way, and a few passing, my feelings have changed.