Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > NON EQ Stuff (Real life, other games, etc.) > Technical Related

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2004, 11:38 AM   #1
Valleycrest
Defrocked Irish priest

Default My roommate's pRon

I'm trying to set up a peer-to-peer network with my roommate. Currently, we share a cable internet connection using a Microsoft wireless router and network card, which is a pile of shit compared to the Linksys setup. Now, I'm relatively new to this type of networking and I've been trying to figure this network out for over 6 months with no luck. I originally tried the nifty home and small office networking wizard that Windows XP Home provides, but this hadn't worked in the past because it wasn't compatible with my Windows 2000 machine or at least that was the understanding I came to and why I gave up.

Recently though, after a hard drive flush to get rid of some spyware (grrr), I installed XP Home on my machine so now both of us have it. We ran the nifty wizard again, but we were not able to share files or printers. I've set it up so that we have the same workgroup name and I enabled NETBios in the TCP/IP item under the connection. When I go into Network Places and try to click on the "View other computers in my workgroup" command it eventually tells me that the administrator has not granted me permission. I take it our IP addresses are assigned by our ISP and I was unable to assign them manually as some internet site advised to do (I didn't really think that would work, but I was desperate so I tried it). I tried to add some items under the connection properties as another website suggested, but it said I needed a disk with the appropriate drivers. I figured this was the Windows XP Home CD so I tried that but it didn't work.

We've both indicated files to be shared allowing access to them by changing the security setting, but we are not able to share it with each other. What am I not doing right? What do I need to do to get access to all the pRon my roommate has downloaded? No pRon actually but he does have a lot of music.
Valleycrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 11:42 AM   #2
Camien Ta`Mire

Send a message via AIM to Camien Ta`Mire Send a message via MSN to Camien Ta`Mire Send a message via Yahoo to Camien Ta`Mire
I used to have my machine (running Windows XP Pro) networked with a ME machine, the only thing I remember having to do was define the workgroup and domains...I remember my computer was fickle about seeing the other computer sometimes. However, with both of you running XP, it shouldn't be too much of a problem...maybe the OS type is the problem? I know that Home is made mostly for standalone machines and that Pro is made more for networking...

I don't know, just conjecturing.
Camien Ta`Mire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 12:33 PM   #3
Soulz

I just skimmed your post, so I apologize if I missed it in there, but... Is the firewall disabled, or at least configured to allow file sharing...?

Soulz
Old 11-02-2004, 01:03 PM   #4
Valleycrest
Defrocked Irish priest

We have the Windows firewalls disabled but we each have Norton's firewalls up. Do we need to disable these or somehow configure them?
Old 11-02-2004, 01:13 PM   #5
Azraelwrath

Looks like you will have to configure them. I know for my zonealarm you have to set your comp to share mode or disable the firewall.
SOE Interviewer: You're hired.
Azraelwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 02:34 PM   #6
Shylodog
Supporter

Send a message via Yahoo to Shylodog
An EXTREMELY common issue with routers is that the Wireless and wired mediums do not talk to each other well.

I've noticed that if wireless encryption protocal is ENABLED on a wireless router, no matter the manufacturer, you are pretty much guaranteed that you will not have cross traffic across the two mediums.

AND...if both systems can access the internet, you're pretty much guaranteed that the manufacturer will tell you all is well and hang up on you.

This is my everyday experience with wireless networking. Of course this is only the case if one machine is wireless and one is wired, which I don't remember if you posted.

Anyway, my 2cp

Originally Posted by Hormadrune
Write it down- Chuk made me lolirl
Originally Posted by Drysdale
To bumbleroot: Know what? You're right. I DID misread your statement and I DO apologize.
Shylodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 09:55 AM   #7
Valleycrest
Defrocked Irish priest

So the shitpile router that I bought which causes random disconnects for hours at a time figured out another way to screw me? Good news...

btw, I haven't tried to firewall disable because my roommates out of town, but I'm skeptical this will work. And yes, mine is wireless, his is hard-wired. Microsoft, you bastards!

Thanks for your input nonetheless.
Old 11-03-2004, 10:32 AM   #8
Shylodog
Supporter

It's also like I said, Linksys is a very good working router manufacturer, but if you enable WEP (Wireless Encryption Protocol) usually wired doesn't talk to wireless then. But usually without WEP you can cross medium.

But if you call the MFG, if both units allow connection to the internet, they will tell you to pack sand and everything is working as it's supposed to, with their Indian accents.

To bumbleroot: Know what? You're right. I DID misread your statement and I DO apologize.
Old 11-03-2004, 11:26 AM   #9
Eskimo

Send a message via ICQ to Eskimo Send a message via AIM to Eskimo Send a message via Yahoo to Eskimo
The only thing WEP (which is wired equivalent privacy, incidentally) would do would be to possibly slow down the time before the wireless computer was recognized in the network neighborhood; it shouldn't do anything to prevent it from benig accesssed.

Another thing is that just because computers do not show up in network neighborhood doesn't mean they are inaccessable. You can access a computer via either \\IPaddress or \\computername in IE. If you can ping the computer's IP address, you can access it's shared resources at \\IPaddress for sure. You can use that to statically "add a new network place" which you can then always access other computers from, assuming they are on.

Printers are exactly the same. Go to the printers folder and go through the add new printer wizard. I don't remember all the screens exactly, but you should be able to specify a networked printer and specify an IP address to find it at.
Old 11-03-2004, 11:59 AM   #10
darue_ivywood

Another thing is that just because computers do not show up in network neighborhood doesn't mean they are inaccessable. You can access a computer via either \\IPaddress or \\computername in IE. If you can ping the computer's IP address, you can access it's shared resources at \\IPaddress for sure.
/nod

from experience, usually have found this to be the most likely culprit (assuming your pretty sure everything is hooked up correctly).

alot of times wasnt able to see in 'network neighborhood', the only thing I could see that was different in that aspect was the 'workgroup' name.. /shrug.

so running a manual search (its an option in the search menu) to find the name of the other PC usually located it and then allowed access.

Also, short of anything else, are the drives/folders your trying to access shared? (sorry, just reread you did..see the hand icon under the folders to make sure its shared)

-edit-
I take it our IP addresses are assigned by our ISP
actually your router should be assigning the IP addresses to the PC's. They should be something like 192.168.xxx.xxx
and your router should have the IP address assigned by the ISP.

Last edited by darue_ivywood; 11-03-2004 at 12:04 PM.
darue_ivywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 03:44 PM   #11
Shylodog
Supporter

My point, is that the router MAY not allow cross medium communications. Having dealt directly with Linksys, D-Link and Netgear, these manufacturers have proven less than helpful when trying to utilize a router as a hub or switch.

Since the router's main purpose is to share an internet connection, they will routinely blow you off if you try to get assistance for p2p networking purposes. That being said, Linksys's tier 3 tech support TOLD me that the particular router in question was designed NOT to allow cross medium communication since they were getting slammed with pseudo-techs setting up their p2p network for the first time.

Old 11-17-2004, 08:42 AM   #12
Valleycrest
Defrocked Irish priest

Thanks for your suggestions. My roommate got back from his honeymoon finally so we tried simply disabling our firewalls...guess what? I got pRon! err music...

We are looking into configuring our firewalls to let each other through. Both of us are really nervous about are firewalls being disabled. I don't trust the Windows one.

Anyway, happy ending.
Old 11-17-2004, 10:11 AM   #13
Shylodog
Supporter

YAY!!

And glad I was wrong