Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > NON EQ Stuff (Real life, other games, etc.) > Technical Related

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2004, 04:33 PM   #1
Fenrin

Default Good mystery for someone who's good at this sort of thing

Computer was running fine, then froze. No biggie, Ctrl-Alt-Del and I'm back at desktop. Tried to open Firefox up and computer freezes again, then immediatly blue screen of deaths me. Only got through reading a small amount of the message(wasn't a normal module FFFF caused a GPF at FFFFF, was long but didn't give me time to read) before the computer restarts itself.
This is only the beginning of the problem...
On restart or cold boot now the system is going through BIOS then giving me the error:

Reboot and Select proper Boot device
or Insert Boot Media in Selected Boot device

Anyone have a clue how to fix this?
If you need system specs for the problem computer just say so

EDIT: tried rebooting with the Windows XP CD and got something to occur. Unfortunatly, the Windows XP setup isn't recognizing my hard drive. Opened the box up and checked the wiring, everything seems to be in place.

Last edited by Fenrin; 10-12-2004 at 05:06 PM.
Fenrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 05:06 PM   #2
Wildane
Psychopath w/a conscience

Have you recently installed any new hardware?

First, make sure your BIOS recognizes all your drives. If it does, then I would reseat (unplug, plug back in) everything connected to the motherboard. If you have extra memory, swap it out and see what that does. If that doesn't do anything, unplug all the unnecessary devices and boot up the computer. If it boots up, then plug in the other devices one-by-one and boot up each time until it gives you errors.

It sounds like a memory problem, although the fact that it isn't recognizing boot devices means you could have a bad drive or IDE controller. If none of the above works, post here and we'll come up with something else.

"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear." - Thomas Jefferson
Wildane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 05:09 PM   #3
Fenrin

System needed a new motorboard a month or so ago(old one was corrupted and was freezing when you tried to run anything in the CD drive), but I haven't added a hard drive since last April.
Fenrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 08:11 PM   #4
korast

Exact same problem here, it was RAM.
korast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 01:23 AM   #5
AresProphet
Priest of Hiroshima

Send a message via MSN to AresProphet
Well whatever the cause, what's happening is your boot order isn't loading. Typically you'll have a list of devices, in order of priority, to boot from. Floppy drive first, hard drive second, CD-ROM third is typical. In the event the first fails, it proceeds down the list. This is why the "non-system disk or disk error" message occurs when you boot with a floppy in the drive. It then goes to the hard drive and loads your OS, and you're in good shape. Failing that, it will load off a CD.

A virgin hard drive won't boot, and you load off the Windows XP CD in order to format it so you can boot from the HD. Yours sounds like the exact same situation, though I can't fathom what might have caused it.

You might not be able to do this, but there is one solution I can think of if you have a second computer. Take out the HDD, stick it in the second computer as a non-booting drive, and run whatever checks you can. If it doesn't work, period, then the drive is shot.

The only way to test the motherboard is to use a different HDD in that machine, but the odds of your drivers being correct for the hardware are slim. It would be a pain, but you could do this, and swap out for a working HDD to check how it runs.

Replacing the RAM would be a better thing to try first, but failing that, check the hard drive.
No-one cares enough

Attachment 181
AresProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 04:54 AM   #6
Wildane
Psychopath w/a conscience

How old is the hard drive? Sounds like it was just its time to go. If you can, do what Ares says and swap hard drives with another machine. Even if the drive tests bad in another machine, put another hard drive into your machine to make sure your IDE controller is OK. The chance that both the drive and the controller are bad is very slim, but better to be sure.

"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear." - Thomas Jefferson
Wildane is offline   Reply With Quote