Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > NON EQ Stuff (Real life, other games, etc.) > Technical Related

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2004, 08:55 AM   #1
Wildane
Psychopath w/a conscience

Default Mozilla Firefox question

Ok, I finally started using Firefox about a week ago and I have to say that I love it. But, there is one thing I need help with. Is there a setting that will open new tabs instead of new windows on some links? I know I can right click a link and tell it to open in a new tab, but I was just hoping that there was a way to set that as the default way of doing it. Thanks in advance.

"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear." - Thomas Jefferson
Wildane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 09:37 AM   #2
Coajik

Send a message via AIM to Coajik Send a message via Yahoo to Coajik
Hey bud,

I never really looked into this, but check this out. I don't honestly know if it can help you or not....

Open external links in new windows or tabs

If another program wants to display a web page in the default browser, Firefox will reuse an existing window by default, which means that it will navigate from a page you might be reading. To stop this, add the following code to your user.js file:

// Stop reusing active windows:
user_pref("advanced.system.supportDDEExec", false);

What about new tabs instead of windows then? If you prefer tabs instead of windows, you must also install Tabbrowser Extensions, a very powerful extension that enhances the functionality of the tabbed browsing. After installing the extension, follow these instructions (make sure you didn't forget to add the above code to your user.js file):

1. Make sure you didn't forget to add the above code to your user.js file.
2. Select Tools > Extensions, select Tabbrowser Extensions and click the small Options icon.
3. Expand the Category list and select the topmost sub-item (it's supposed to read Advanced Tabbed Browsing but the Category list is too narrow).
4. In the Window Mode drop-down listbox, select Use multiple browsers only when I open them.

Done! Now any link opened by an external program, such as your e-mail client, will open in new tabs.
http://texturizer.net/firefox/tips.html#beh_reuse

"Messing with a NASCAR fan is like messing with a Bakersfield chimp." ~ Ted Bosell -- The Phil Hendrie Show
Coajik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 09:47 AM   #3
Coajik

Send a message via AIM to Coajik Send a message via Yahoo to Coajik
Okay.

I downloaded the extension. You will have to play with it.

It seems like the action you wish to perform is in the "Links" section of the extension. =o)

Download the extension then restart Firefox.
> Click on Tools
>>Extensions
Right click on the new extension, and click on Options
Expand the "Use Tab" menu and select "Links"
Under "Links that refer to another site" select the radio button with the option:

"Open in New Tab"

I hope this helps. =o) Thanks for inspiring me to finally download it. =oP

"Messing with a NASCAR fan is like messing with a Bakersfield chimp." ~ Ted Bosell -- The Phil Hendrie Show
Coajik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 10:13 AM   #4
Wildane
Psychopath w/a conscience

Thanks a bunch! That was exactly what I was looking for

"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear." - Thomas Jefferson
Wildane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 02:27 PM   #5
Aackman

I hold Ctrl down while clicking a link to open it tabbed.
Aackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 11:29 AM   #6
Davek
Squawk Box

Ok rather than starting a new message when I'm essentially looking for the same thing.

I'm playing around with Firefox 1.0 PR and am loving it so far. No more opening a crapload of new IE windows to do browse the way I do Tabbing is great!

Looking at the instructions posted above, it seems to be for an older version of Firefox.

I can't find the user.js file anywhere on my hard drive. I've done a search and I always work with "show all" options for files/folders(I don't like not seeing things I know are there).

For the Tabbrowser Extentions, doesn't seem like it's out there for 1.0 PR, so I've tried Tabbrowser Preferences 0.6.13 and .14 but I get an error when trying to open the options on it:

XML Parsing Error: error in processing external entity reference
Line Number 9, Column 1:

#linksDTD;

Hmmm, just reading that, I did change the skin I use. I'll try defaulting it and see if that fixes that.

Anyway, is there a way to force a link that want to open a new window to open to a Tab instead? Of course I know about the CTRL-Click and I use that extensively.

Man that just rolls off the tongue nicely.

Originally Posted by Karthanon View Post
I know, you're in Ottawa, Davek. Still, I can't help but /poke you.
Originally Posted by Drysdale View Post
And you wonder why I don't play nice with you? You leave my man buttons alone.. Those are Davek's.
Davek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 11:54 AM   #7
Walterscott

Good tips!

I didn't know about the <CTRL> key. Very useful.

Firefox is awesome. I use it in XP and IRIX now all the time. So much faster than IE it seems on my XP systems...
Old 10-21-2004, 12:29 PM   #8
Davek
Squawk Box

Ok, seems there isn't a user.js file for the new Firefox, but did find I can toggle that setting by putting:

about:config

in the nav bar to see a bunch of the settings.

Highlight that advanced.system option, right click and select toggle to turn it to False. No need to edit the file directly.

There is a prefs.js file that might do the same thing in:

C:\Documents and Settings\*account name*\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\d2navqap.default

but I haven't played with it. It has a bunch of user_pref settings in there.

<EDIT> Ok, confirmed, that prefs.js file was updated with the new false setting by using the about:config.

Still playing and exploring!

And you wonder why I don't play nice with you? You leave my man buttons alone.. Those are Davek's.

Last edited by Davek; 10-21-2004 at 12:34 PM.
Old 10-21-2004, 12:49 PM   #9
Davek
Squawk Box

A small followup on the problem I was having with that extension.

A visit to the authors page informed me I had to add the following:

-UILocale en-US -contentLocale US

To the execution of Firefox.

Seems to have done the trick since the error is gone now and I can edit the options.

<edit rather than writing a new message. I've added enough of those for now>

For the Tabbrowser Preferences 0.6.14 extension I mentioned above, I found that you shouldn't change that user_pref value. At least not for the way I like it to work. This extension seems to do all I want and has a bunch of nice features in it.

One small thing I've noticed not related to the extensions is that on these EMarr boards, I no longer get the Enhanced WYSIWYG editor even though it's set for default in my User CP options. It reverts to the Standard Editor.

Last edited by Davek; 10-21-2004 at 01:09 PM.
Old 10-26-2004, 10:11 PM   #10
TalvaranRW

MIDDLE CLICK. Yes, don't worry about holding ctrl down, just use your mouse wheel and click.

Also I highly recomend this extension
http://update.mozilla.org/extensions...?id=50&vid=673

this way when you open up a new firefox browser instead of having 5 open you will just have 5 tabs, very nifty