Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > NON EQ Stuff (Real life, other games, etc.) > Technical Related

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2004, 02:44 PM   #1
Shadera

Default Stupid P/s Compaq

I need some help please... I'm basically going to paste what I've already written on my guild board. However, the powers that be in the guild are busy with other things now... so here I am asking you folks for some help. To begin with... my problem is that I am freezing every 2-3 minutes for 30 secs or so. Then the darned thing unfreezes for another 2 minutes.

I've done my homework, but I'm still needing your help.. this is what I've done so far....

1st I replaced my video card with an Nvidia FX5200. Didn't fix the problem. and the story continues:

Well.... I know y'all are sick and tired of seeing me complain about my computer. But, I still need some help. Today, I downloaded an updated version of ActiveX...... logged on to find that that didn't solve the problem. I went back to the EQLive site and the FAQ section. Here is what I found:

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
First, if you have not already done so, you will want to make sure you have the latest drivers for your video and sound card. If you are using an AGP based card, try lowering the multiplier from "x4" or "x2", down to "x1".

If the problem persists, try opening the case of your computer and directing a fan onto the motherboard, full blast. This may sound strange, but due to the intense CPU and Video Card usage of the game, the temperature inside your computer case will be significantly higher. Many have reported success after adding fans to their systems.

Also, make sure there are no tasks running in the background while EQ is running. After a fresh reboot, hit Ctrl-Alt-Del to bring up a list of running tasks. "End Task" on everything except Explorer, Systray, and RNAApp (if listed), then connect to the Internet and start the game.

Another test is to temporarily disable your sound in EverQuest.

If the disabling the sound card does fix this issue you may want to try enabling the sound card again and then adjusting the sound acceleration level. To adjust the sound acceleration level, please do the following:

Open the start menu and select run.
Type dxdiag then press OK.
Once the DirectX Diagnostic tool has opened select the Sound Tab.
You will notice towards the bottom a slider allowing you to set the acceleration level.
Place this to Standard Acceleration.

Alternatively, there are also known resource conflicts between voice-capable modems and sound cards. Aside from causing crashes, this conflict can also cause the Voice Modem to "steal" sound from your Sound Card, effectively turning it off in the game. Go to the "Sound, Video, and Game Controllers" section of the Device Manager (right click on your "My Computer" icon and choose "Properties" . You will see a listing for "Wave Device for Voice Modem" or something similar. Double click on this entry and mark the "Disable in this Hardware Profile" option. Most people never use the Voice functions on their modems, so disabling this will not change the way you connect to your Internet provider.

Finally, try playing on the Test Server. The Test Server is where new program code is tested, before it is used on the regular playing servers. In order to play on the Test Server, you need to run the "testeverquest.exe" application in your EverQuest directory. The patch process will download some files, and then you will be able to log on using your established Station Name and Password. If the problem does not occur while on the test server, then the problem may be a known issue that has been worked on, and the new code will eventually migrate to the other servers in a future patch.

And then:

Now, then........ when I do the Ctrl, Alt, Delete deal.... of course my task manager pops up. Nothing shows on the 1st tab, but down at the bottom of the window it says there are 60 or so....... (it changes all the time) processes. Is this where I'm supposed to delete stuff before I run EQ? And if it is.......... Systray is SMTray.exe? And I have nothing in that window regarding the RNAApp. And is Explorer.exe the explorer that they are telling me not to delete?

Any help here will be certainly appreciated, and I'll be checking back for any suggestions.

And THEN:

Update:

It still ain't workin' right. The only way I know to get you the information on the situation is to copy and paste what I'm attempting to do and then maybe you might have other ideas.

I went to Compaq (PoS) and this is what I found regarding lockups and hangs on one particular game. Here's the url's as I went along my merry way"

h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/...=c00003755

Now, when I scrolled down, it's telling me how to shut down the processes that are running in the back ground. Note that it further tells me to shut down every process that has my name beside it. Well..... right off the bat, my taskmanager turned off....... DOH ! Brought it back up and started shutting down processes. Then says to start game and proceed. Lo and behold........ I got out of the taskmanager window, and I have NO ICONS on desktop, no Start...... nothing except my wallpaper of Garfield sticking his arse in my face.

Needless to say....... ass kicking is what I'd like to do right now, but I don't think Garfield is quite ready for me yet. lol

Any suggestions to add to this besides going and upgrading to a Dell? lol
Old 11-17-2004, 03:33 PM   #2
Davek
Squawk Box

Also, make sure there are no tasks running in the background while EQ is running. After a fresh reboot, hit Ctrl-Alt-Del to bring up a list of running tasks. "End Task" on everything except Explorer, Systray, and RNAApp (if listed), then connect to the Internet and start the game.
Ouch, those sound more like instructions for Win98. What OS are you running? (from the sounds of it, something more like XP).

Have you checked for spyware? Get both Ad-Aware SE and Spybot Search & Destroy 1.3. Install and get latest updates for them. Scan your system good. Clean it.

Do you have an up to date virus scanner with up to date DAT files? Definately something to look into if you don't.

That's a start. Then try playing again and see if you're still having those problems.

Man that just rolls off the tongue nicely.

Originally Posted by Karthanon View Post
I know, you're in Ottawa, Davek. Still, I can't help but /poke you.
Originally Posted by Drysdale View Post
And you wonder why I don't play nice with you? You leave my man buttons alone.. Those are Davek's.
Davek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 03:42 PM   #3
Shadera

I should have added that information... sorry....

I have Spybot and Adaware both. Updated. Norton's for antivirus... actually have Norton's Systemworks 2004. All updated And WindowsXP... took out the SP2 that it auto downloaded and installed.

Thanks for the suggestions...... anymore?
Old 11-17-2004, 04:31 PM   #4
Davek
Squawk Box

How familiar are you with msconfig?

Run msconfig and take a look at what's in the startup there.

Uncheck anything you feel is unnecessary and reboot.

You can alway re-check them again after to have them start up again.

And you wonder why I don't play nice with you? You leave my man buttons alone.. Those are Davek's.
Old 11-17-2004, 04:51 PM   #5
Shadera

Thanks again, Davek..... been there... done that.... no prize... !!!!

Puter comes back on in "Safe" mode and says I have to boot to normal mode.
Old 11-17-2004, 09:31 PM   #6
korast

Originally Posted by Shadera
Any suggestions to add to this besides going and upgrading to a Dell? lol
www.webroot.com Use spysweeper. Your problem sounds software, you might have to just start over if you arent good at this sort of deal, and just reinstall windows and start clean. Dont buy dell. They used to be ok, but their a shit piece of crap company now.
korast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 07:43 AM   #7
Davek
Squawk Box

Here's a freeware utility that I've found handy at times.

http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/fr.../procexp.shtml

Install and run it. See if there's a process that seems to become active every couple of minutes.

With the interruptions happening at regular intervals, it's definately sounding like it's software related.

Do you have a quickcam on the computer? My one computer at home went a little wonky when I was playing around with some of the software that came with it and I had activated the built in webserver crap without meaning to.

Had you added anything new to the computer around the time you started noticing this freezing? (I couldn't figure out if you tried the new Vid card to clear this problem or it started around the time you installed it).

As Korast mentioned, you might want to consider a fresh install of your system before laying out money on a new system.

Old 11-18-2004, 08:03 AM   #8
Soulz

I agree... watch for a process that spikes... I had a similar problem come in once. The PC "froze" on a regular interval... Turned out to be a piece of scanner software gone awry. Uninstalled and reloaded it.. Problem solved.

Good luck.

Soulz
Old 11-18-2004, 11:23 AM   #9
Shadera

Hmmmmmm........ come to think of it...... I think my problems started after I installed my all in one printer. mmmmmmmm.............not sure tho

It's been acting up since the DX9 deal.... I've even upgraded to DX9c. No help. It should be noted that the computer freezes up ONLY when I'm playing EQ. No other time. Runs fine.... peachy keen and everything. Load up EQ and I'm screwed.
Old 11-18-2004, 11:33 AM   #10
Davek
Squawk Box

It's possible something is spiking all the time but you only notice it when you're using EQ.

Try blowing away the all in one printer.

Reinstall DX9.0c
Reinstall Newest Video Drivers
Reinstall Newest Sound Drivers

test it.
If all seems fine:
Reinstall printer.

Test again.

It's possible the something got corrupt in there.

Old 11-18-2004, 11:42 AM   #11
Eskimo

Send a message via ICQ to Eskimo Send a message via AIM to Eskimo Send a message via Yahoo to Eskimo
Curiously... does it seem to happen only in OoW zones or all over the game world? I found one of my machines would randomly lock up for brief periods of time in OoW, and it turns out it's because it doesn't handle pixel shading very well. I went to the Display tab in options (alt O) and clicked on advanced (you'll need to pull the window down further than the default size to see the advanced menu). Unselected pixel shading 2.x and my random locking up in OoW went away.

If not for the fact you seem to only see a problem in EQ, I'd have to agree it might be spyware.

Actually, what are the specs on your computer? I supposed it's completely possible the computer just isn't up to running EQ depending on what you have. There are currently a lot of "known" graphical glitches in the game, even with high performance rigs.
Old 11-18-2004, 05:53 PM   #12
Shadera

When the computer "freezes" up...........it's similar to a pause... I can still see everyone, but my character comes and goes during these freezing sessions. Then after about 30 secs or so, the action that I see on screen is likeghz nothing was wrong................ I watched my necro from the laptop....she was still fighting.......... but when I looked at the desktop monitor, I'm frozen in time.

And yes... it pauses during playing EQ only,

The reason I took out servicepack2 for xp, was suggested by many people as possibly being the culprit

Computer is a Compaq Intel[R]
1.7 GHz
512 MB of ram
Old 11-18-2004, 05:58 PM   #13
Trech

Send a message via MSN to Trech
cosmic ray theory
Trech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 05:52 AM   #14
Shadera

Here's a freeware utility that I've found handy at times.

http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/f...e/procexp.shtml
Downloaded it and can't figger out how to use it. DOH !
Old 11-19-2004, 08:37 AM   #15
Davek
Squawk Box

Bring up the Help. The Process view will probably be the more informative section.

Like most things in windows, you can click on the column name (ie: process, PID, CPU) and it will sort by those items.

The default config for the hilight colours are:

Light Blue - generally tasks that you started yourself (ie: procexp.exe, IEXPLORE.EXE, Outlook...etc)

Pink - various services that Windows is currently running.

To see what might be spiking, click on the CPU header to sort by CPU time being used. Get it so that the "System Idle Process" is at the top. It should be the one that uses the CPU the most (in other words, the CPU is generally Idle).

Watch and make note of what tends to jump in and out just below it. If it seems to be something that follows your freezing schedule, then that has a good chance of being your culprit.

Various ways to try this out:

1) right after starting up with bare minimum running. monitor for a bit and see if anything might be out of whack.

2) connect to the internet(I don't think you mentioned whether you use dial-up/dsl or cable...if you did, I missed it) and monitor some more.

3) load eq and maybe go into an alt that can just sit somewhere while you minimize EQ and do some more monitoring. I haven't done this with EQ running, but my guess would be that EQ will take a fair amount of CPU time for itself. See if there's anything else that jumps out.

Old 11-19-2004, 11:50 AM   #16
Shadera

Well........ this one is way over my head.... nice graphs...... but I don't understand what I'm to do...... read help and now I don't remember how to turn the dumb computer on...... ouch
Old 11-19-2004, 12:57 PM   #17
Wildane
Psychopath w/a conscience

I may have missed it, but how are you connected to the internet? If you're on a home network using a wireless router, then there isn't much you can do. I know when I was connected to a cable modem through a wirelss router, I would lag out (pretty much freeze up, because I couldn't do anything) at regular intervals. If this is the case, and you are close enough to the router, use an ethernet connection. If this isn't the case, check the event logs. Right click My Computer and select Manage. Check the Application and System logs for any errors.

"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear." - Thomas Jefferson
Wildane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 02:59 PM   #18
Shadera

I'm on dial up. I know.... crappy appy..... but I live so far out in God's Country that I'll probably never see anything more out here. And yes... this computer is networked to another desktop ....... but.. it's not wireless. Once again, today....... I changed my driver for the video card to another version. It didn't help either.

I worked some more with the program that Davek had me download, however, this old woman can't understand it. I vote we just blow this damned thing to kingdom come. But that won't help my problem either.
Old 11-19-2004, 04:06 PM   #19
Davek
Squawk Box

The program is basically like Taskmanager but it gives more information about the tasks running.

The instructions I gave was just trying to get you to sort the processes by the amount of processor time that is being used and see what is being really active on your system.

I haven't used the program that much other than for the basic type of stuff that I mentioned before and had to laugh a bit when you mentioned graphs, since I'd never really looked into it that much and seen graphs myself

As I mentioned, if you click on the heading of CPU, it will sort the processes by CPU time. It should show the little CPU bar at the top with a triangle/arrow with the tip pointing down. Then just watch the top of the listing.

Old 11-22-2004, 02:56 PM   #20
FanonFaythunder
ThreadKiller, Bitches

Send a message via ICQ to FanonFaythunder Send a message via AIM to FanonFaythunder
Tip of the day:

If you use task manager to acidentally nuke explorer.exe (removes your icons, start menu, taskbar, etc), open task manager up, go to File, click New Task (run), and type 'explorer'.

Voila. You're back in business.

As for the rest of that, I got nothin'

No, I don't play... except when I do.
FanonFaythunder is offline   Reply With Quote