Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > NON EQ Stuff (Real life, other games, etc.) > Technical Related

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2004, 05:19 PM   #1
Amanta

Default video card question.

Going to buy a new one, I have a computer that is being made by a friend. Any good websites other then yahoo, which I looked at, that would show reviews and what not on what maybe I should look at. My friend told me about what he thought I should get, but was looking to do some research as I'm in no rush to complete it.

I have the money to spend, but I'm not very hardcore when it comes to computers, so in the $150 to $250 area is what I was looking at. The computer I have coming is 3.0 P4, 1 Gig of ram and 80 MB hard drive.
Amanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 06:18 PM   #2
Azraelwrath

Going to yahoo for computer part reviews?

Anandtech and cnet are good places for video card reviews.

For your price level, I can recommend ATI 9800 PRO(don't know which ones, I'm not an ATI guy but I heard this series is good), Nvidia FX5900, and if you wait till the beginning of november, the AGP version for the Nvidia 6600 GT will come out. I was going to get those but they only released the PCI ex version in Oct. so I said screw it. The 6600 is $150 and the 6600 GT is $200. If you were willing to spend $40 more, you could get the Geforce 6800 which is really good. I've got the Geforce 6800 GT which will definetly last me for some time, but that cost me $389. I heard that the GT worked twice fast as the 6800 and the price on it wouldn't drop for some time so I settled for it.
SOE Interviewer: You're hired.
Azraelwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 12:21 PM   #3
Amanta

Thank you Az, and yes I actually used Yahoo. Like I said, I'm pretty useless when it comes to computers, having bought my last one 5 years ago. Least with those sites I can do research and see what looks best.

I had planned on buying the celeron (sp?) processor and I was told by people to avoid them, so I'm at least going with the P4. I don't care to get top end stuff, but I would like to get something I can get away with for 3-4 years and not have to upgrade if I don't have to.
Old 10-11-2004, 01:54 PM   #4
Ice Weasel X
Banned User

Send a message via AIM to Ice Weasel X
Has AnandTech actually been objective in recent years? Back in the 90's, I avoided that site like the plague. If anyone sent him merchandise to test, he gave it a favorable review, no matter what. I preferred The Silicon Edge, but Richard Kuo dropped that project and is now CTO at SnapStream Media.

Not much new to add. ATI and nVidia are pretty much it when it comes to mainstream video cards for gaming. Any of the DX9 cards should last for a while as long as you aren't trying to squeeze the most extremely ridiculous amounts of performance out of your system.
Old 10-11-2004, 04:21 PM   #5
Azraelwrath

I know that some people use it. I've seen a few articles but none that I needed. Oh I just remembered, Tom's Hardware is a really good site too.

Btw what brand of harddrive and ram are you planning on getting?
Old 10-11-2004, 06:56 PM   #6
korast

Get Asus nvidia 128 mb+ and you cant go wrong. More money = more quality.
korast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 03:28 AM   #7
Amanta

hehe I have no idea what brand it is, I'll have to ask my friend this week sometime. To show my lack of knowledge when it comes to this stuff, I didn't realize different namebrands of drives and ram mattered that much, I didn't even ask what they were.
Old 10-12-2004, 03:46 AM   #8
FanonFaythunder
ThreadKiller, Bitches

Send a message via ICQ to FanonFaythunder Send a message via AIM to FanonFaythunder
Assuming the 3.0 is a prescott part, have him get you a PCI-express intel board and snag a PC-E GeForce 6600GT.

No, I don't play... except when I do.
FanonFaythunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 02:58 PM   #9
cnjmorris

I saw someone talking about a 6800LT or something like that, you can flash to make as fast as the 6800GT. I don't know anything about it, but they said you could run a non pro card at pro card speeds for a lot less. I don't do this kind of stuff because I know my luck, but it seems pretty popular, dunno.

Catcen, Level 65 Beastlord.

Newbie for life.
cnjmorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 04:38 AM   #10
Walterscott

I just recently purchased an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 256MB card from www.microcenter.com, $50 instant rebate at the register for about $230.

I kind of got scared away from some of the newer Nvidia cards due to ridiculous power requirements. I think the latest models were requiring 400+ Watt Power Supply's.

Anyhow, good luck.
Old 10-19-2004, 09:54 AM   #11
Azraelwrath

Originally Posted by Walterscott
I kind of got scared away from some of the newer Nvidia cards due to ridiculous power requirements. I think the latest models were requiring 400+ Watt Power Supply's.
The new nvidia cards and the new ati cards out right now require power supply plug ins. However, the new pci-express cards will not require them because they the slot will give them enough power. The power supply requirements for the new cards right now are not that bad and they are actually equivalent to the card you said you bought, actually less. I'm using a 240w psu and I have a 6800 GT and so do many people out there. My computer runs fine and has no problems at all.

Power supply tests

Heck, I could run an Ultra.

Last edited by Azraelwrath; 10-19-2004 at 10:03 AM.
Old 10-19-2004, 10:41 AM   #12
Walterscott

I think the review I read was on the 6800 Ultra on www.cnet.com. Somewhere in there they said that a 380 Watt PS was barely sufficient I believe. Can't find the article to link now.

Apparently the newer Nvidia card though has less power requirements after reading it's reviews.