Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > NON EQ Stuff (Real life, other games, etc.) > Steam Vent

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2004, 10:07 AM   #26
Hormadrune
Sociopathic bully?

Originally Posted by Heretic
How about everyone begin teaching their children from a young age their cultural language + world language? In a couple generations, most everyone would know the world language and retain their cultural language. Sort of similar to EQ,
That would be fine by me. I'm not so much opposed to a language all can speak as I am the cultural implications such a movement would likely have. If it came at no/low cultural cost then sure, whatever, but if it means we become even more fucking vanilla than we are, then fuck that- I'd rather have to pull out my "Mongolian for Dummies" than see more world cultures get white-washed.
Old 12-27-2004, 11:59 AM   #27
AresProphet
Priest of Hiroshima

Send a message via MSN to AresProphet
Ah, yes, but what would the world language be?

If it's something brand new, you can guarantee America (probably the UK too) won't go along with it. They've practically got the 'global language' thing covered, with the political clout to keep it that way.

If it's up to a vote, it'd be English also. See above. It just wouldn't make them look quite as bad in the process. If it miraculously did turn out to be something else... see above paragraph about america refusing it.

Solves nothing about the unilinguality of Americans.
No-one cares enough

Attachment 181
AresProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004, 12:49 PM   #28
Adarian

Default .

What do you think will happen if you teach people 2 languages from day 1, a universal language and a native language of theirs? The second they begin to interact anyplace but their direct home area they will begin to use the universal almost exclusively. Even while in school learning the universal will be much more use as you will have multinational people in the schools who will be learning different national languages at home as their second so to teach all at once you will use the universal. Unless of course you want to put out a massive amount more money for more teachers jsut to split classes so that all the X language people have a full set of X language teachers seperate from all the Y language teachers etc. What language would be used for commercials/internet/business etc.? The universal of course as no company would film 7680 commercials in that many languages/dialects to reach a world market when they can do it in a universal form that 100% of the world is taught from the get go same as noone will take the time to publish a website in german english french and russian and mandarin like some do now when people are all taught one language they can use. The national languages other than the one chosen as the universal would be as dead as Gaelic in 6-10 generations. Just used to converse with the few people old enough to have been taught that language and only that language for the most part.
Adarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004, 12:51 PM   #29
AresProphet
Priest of Hiroshima

Send a message via MSN to AresProphet
That, by the way, is an awesome point I completely missed.
No-one cares enough

Attachment 181
AresProphet is offline   Reply With Quote