Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > NON EQ Stuff (Real life, other games, etc.) > Player Behind the Avatar

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2009, 02:29 PM   #26
Ogmuk
Administrator

Welcome back, Dinuven. As I mentioned before, I'm not the biggest fan of sending out spam since I loathe receiving it, but I'm glad I did it for this occasion.

Originally Posted by Lurikeen View Post
Ogmuk, thanks for 10 years of these boards! I like the new look, too.
And thank you all for still visitting the website. It wouldn't be much of a reunion if I was here all here by myself.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:12 PM   #27
FafnerMorell
Warrior 4 the working-day

I started playing EQ in June of 2000, and lost interest after a couple of weeks, playing an elf ranger on some other server I no longer recall. I was about to uninstall it from the PC, but decided to give it one more shot, this time on Morell Thule, with a barbarian shaman, named loosely after Fafhrd (from the sword-and-sorcery books of Fritz Leiber). I ran into a nice set of folks in Everfrost, including two other shaman (Conaan and McCleary (sp?)), Kailee the druid, and a wood elf warrior, who later created a cleric named Skylight. The circle of friends expanded and contracted over the years, and Skylight and I joined Mystical Lightfighters, Exiled Gatekeepers, and finally Reviction. I had a lot of fun doing the Reviction news updates.

I essentially stopped playing in Dec 2005 when the twins were born. They got a little sister about a year and a half later, and with three youngling’s, I spend my non-work hours doing dad stuff until about 9pm, and then do a bit of Wii Fitness, reading, or web surfing. Instead of working on the Reviction news updates, I do Shutterfly books of photos for the relatives. I miss it all from time to time (especially the news updates), but to play EQ in a serious raiding guild requires a fair amount of time commitment, and there’s just not enough hours in the day.

I gave WoW a try, but lost interest at level 30 or so. It’s a very good game, but somehow it just doesn’t “engage” me like EQ did. I gave LotR Online a month when it came out, but again, just wasn’t what I wanted. I don’t feel like I’ve got the time that EQ (or most MMOs) require, and while I’ve tried a few PC games, nothing has really kept my interest long. I’ve been playing late night pen-n-paper D&D 3.5 about twice a month with a regular group. It had been about 20 years since I last played (back in the days of 1st edition) and I’ve enjoyed picking it up again and seeing how it’s changed.

While “early” EQ had a lot of problems, those faults did make for a strong community. Unlike newer games (and more recent EQ, I guess), with old-school EQ, you needed groups. You needed to go online for maps, quest info, etc. Because there weren’t separate raid instances, it was common to be in the same zone as a guild fighting an “end-game boss” – and perhaps accidently get trained by them, but to feel their excitement as they prepared to go after Naggy or get a cleric epic in Kunark. Newer games eliminated these “flaws” to appeal to a wider audience – there’s little or no forced interaction with those you don’t know. As a bit of a introvert, I can appreciate this – but at the same time, a community, with its wide range of both good and bad, adds so much. I’m glad I got to be a part of the EQ community on MT, and then EMarr, with three great guilds.

With EQ, there have been a lot of folks behind the scenes working to make the community strong. From guilds to message boards to class-specific web sites, there have been an army of dedicated infrastructure builders – and they deserve the strongest of kudos for what they’ve created and helped us to enjoy. And in a perverse way, even the villains like Sunmoon brought us closer together. We’ve all been each other’s audience in this game, and to quote the great bard, “All the world's a stage, And all the men and women merely players: They have their exits and their entrances; And one man in his time plays many parts…”.

It’s been a hell of a production.
/salute
-- William Shakespeare, Henvy V, Act 4, Scene 3
FafnerMorell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 01:42 AM   #28
Gurglespit

Send a message via Yahoo to Gurglespit
Originally Posted by Ogmuk View Post
Hehe. The way they advertise is pretty much the reason I stopped using their service, that and all the nag screens before you get to ordering that simple domain without all the extra crap. Besides, namecheap.com is a lot cheaper if you want a private whois (yeah, I know, apparently I do buy 1 thing from all that extra crap, hehe).

But, I don't want to derail this thread... It's nice to see another familiar name. Hi there, Gurgle. How is Warhammer? It had some really nice features but the game was too similar to WoW for me. I think we're all waiting for that MMORPG that's actually a challenge to play, like EQ was. Bring back the exp penalties. People need to be afraid to die. I also miss traveling, as it weird as it may sound. Spending an hour to get around the world made EQ feel like it was huge.

Oh, and another thing I was obsessed with is with the WYSIWYG loot, kind of. If a mob was wielding a weapon, you'd get it. That was awesome and I don't think I've seen a MMORPG use it since, other than Darkfall, which is a piece of crap. And being able to give your skeleton pet weapons was absolutely amazing. The good old days when I was kiting stuff in Karana and giving my skeleton dual wield stunning whips. Madness! But I'm derailing again... Back to RL stuff.
Good to see ya too Oggie! Yea, they definitely have their quirks for it's still a fantastic company to work for... great pay, fantastic benefits... etc. Last year for their Christmas party they rented out all of Chase Field and had the party right down on the grass... they had Joan Jett playing music and even had Sinbad there making fun of call center reps (who make up 99% of the employees :P )

WAR was fun at lower levels... but now that I have a few characters in the upper levels, it is starting to really drag on... just the same old thing over and over... end game seems to be a real challenge for a lot of these new games. I'd rather have the multiple wipes of trying to break into Fear or even sitting on the wall in Hate than most of the endgames in the newer games (and I hated that friggin wall...)

These new games always seem to get my hopes up... but most of them just seem rushed and utterly incomplete and they just have very little depth or challenge... /sigh

It is great to see all these old names again!
Old 05-05-2009, 03:17 PM   #29
kalrie
Priestess of Pie

Send a message via AIM to kalrie Send a message via Yahoo to kalrie
Originally Posted by Saraquael View Post
I think when I last posted here I was unemployed and had too much time on my hands. These days, I do color restoration for the Marvel Masterworks books and have almost no time on my hands. More or less using the coloring knowledge that I learned from doing sigs .

Don't get to draw nearly as much now though :/
I found one of your t-shirts (Army of Moo, I think?) a couple months ago, and wondered what you were doing now. Congrats on the job, even if it's all you have time to do
heads we win, tails we try again
kalrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 09:21 AM   #30
Thorgerd

Gurglespit?! While I don't remember an E-Marr Gurgle... had a great time PvPing in WoW with a Troll Shaman Gurglespit on um, Shadow Council and I think he moved to Sisters of Elune with us? (I was Thorgora in WoW) That would be one odd coincidence.

My husband and I just bought a house and held an Open House party to get to know the neighbors:

"So... you are from here (Maryland) and your husband is the most patriotic Canadian we've ever met... how did you meet??"

"Ten years ago, he made me my first set of patchwork armor in Halas."

Thank you EverQuest and Erollisi Marr... without you, I would've never met my Tywaz.

Thorgerd, retired from all but xBox.
Thorgerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 12:36 PM   #31
The Earth Keeper

Send a message via ICQ to The Earth Keeper Send a message via AIM to The Earth Keeper Send a message via MSN to The Earth Keeper Send a message via Yahoo to The Earth Keeper
Hmm lemme think.

Moved to Emarr from one of the Zeks December 6th 99.

Married first time in June 2000 Divorced October 2004 the divorce lasted as long as the actual relationship.

Joined the Army in Feb 2005 injured July 2005

Married for the second time to a much better person March 2006.

First child born August 2007.

Forced to retire in June 2008.

Second child born November 2008.

So now I spend all day playing with my son and daughter while we enjoy being spoiled rotten by my loving and adorable wife their mother.
Old 05-07-2009, 01:27 PM   #32
Caeelar

Send a message via Yahoo to Caeelar
Wow, some really old names here =). I am still playing regularly, and raiding full time =p. I'm still in the officer business with Resolution, and having a blast working through SoD and finishing up SoF. Pretty much in shock that Mina is married with a 2 year old... Gah, seems like yesterday that she was called "Rezho" and was an officer with me in SoH haha! Seeing Kalrie post reminds me alot of the old Halls of Testing runs I used to lead way, way back haha! I actually had someone send me a tell a couple weeks ago saying they were part of those raids and how much they enjoyed them =). Good times man, good times! =)

Cae

P.S. Hey Graeme.. I am gonna need to do some void access missions, I'll look for ya and try not to kill you to often =p.
Caeelar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 01:29 PM   #33
Caeelar

Send a message via Yahoo to Caeelar
Originally Posted by Gurglespit View Post
Good to see ya too Oggie! Yea, they definitely have their quirks for it's still a fantastic company to work for... great pay, fantastic benefits... etc. Last year for their Christmas party they rented out all of Chase Field and had the party right down on the grass... they had Joan Jett playing music and even had Sinbad there making fun of call center reps (who make up 99% of the employees :P )

WAR was fun at lower levels... but now that I have a few characters in the upper levels, it is starting to really drag on... just the same old thing over and over... end game seems to be a real challenge for a lot of these new games. I'd rather have the multiple wipes of trying to break into Fear or even sitting on the wall in Hate than most of the endgames in the newer games (and I hated that friggin wall...)

These new games always seem to get my hopes up... but most of them just seem rushed and utterly incomplete and they just have very little depth or challenge... /sigh

It is great to see all these old names again!
What server are you on in WAR? I've got a 40/62 Sorc on Gorfang. I pretty much ran into the same thing you did though.. same stuff over and over. It was fun due to the crowd I ran with, but the content got real stale pretty fast.
Caeelar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 04:27 AM   #34
Raelven
High Priestess of MOO!

/poke Gurgle
Old 05-12-2009, 06:29 AM   #35
Saavak

Send a message via AIM to Saavak
/poke Raelven
Saavak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 12:29 AM   #36
Celaeno

I started playing in 2000/2001, at a very low point in my life.
In 2002, I sent myself back to school
In 2004, I quit playing Everquest.
In 2005 I got my Bachelor of Engineering in Optometry, got married, and moved north of the Arctic circle.

No kids, still live in the Arctic, still very much in love with my husband (our fourth anniversary is next friday), I curb my obsessive gamer tendencies by never playing anything that requires a paid subscription anymore (my only MMOG's are the extremely occasional stint of puzzle pirates or anarchy online), I've been writing Baldur's Gate fanfiction for the past three years, and I make a living out of teaching people how to wrangle their eyelids

My health started going the wrong way in 2003, and it still isn't what it used to be, but I am a far, far happier person than I was back then.
Old 05-13-2009, 06:45 AM   #37
GraemeFaelban

Send a message via AIM to GraemeFaelban
Hiya Celaeno, glad to hear that life is mostly treating you well.
Old 05-13-2009, 10:53 AM   #38
Ladilya
Harem ******!

Send a message via AIM to Ladilya
I changed jobs and have now been with the same company for 3 years (little to no time for gaming let alone raiding these days). I also changed specialities, formerly DBA, now programming (java), but still in IT.

I dated the same man for 5 years....then he cheated and that was that. I can forgive many things, but not finding out on Myspace that you have been sleeping with another woman.

Several of my best friends IRL are people I met in game, Malianea, Qumaden, Aeolwind, Malamber. Most of whom I met at a guild gathering at Malamber's house in Atlanta when we were both in A Twist of Fate.

Malamber and I haven't been as close lately as I'd like, but I rarely have time to travel to visit him.

I'm currently single, closing on a house sometime this month, working my butt off and just trying to enjoy life.

Ladi
Ladilya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 07:04 PM   #39
Aeolwind

Send a message via AIM to Aeolwind Send a message via Yahoo to Aeolwind
=)

Wow, where to start. I'm married now, work for Siemens (Insert naval, whale & sperm jokes here) & I'm working on an EQ project with Nilbog/Nopie.

No more 40 hour camps in SolB for XP, no more banging my head against the wall with Talendor or Dozekar, no more running to Western Wastes at 4am to rez Valtron because he fell off a cliff, no more yelling DICK IN YO ASS BITCH and getting petitioned by 100 newbies in LOIO, no more telling Kaikachi how bad he sucks, no more cybering guides while in TOV, no need for my abacus to help calculate the number of DG it takes to kill a mob.

It's now, 40 hours of anything and I need 2 days off, I bang my head against the wall behind slow asses on the way to work, only thing I run to at 4am is the bathroom, I yell dick in yo ass bitch when reminicing about yelling dick in yo ass bitch, the only people I get to tell they suck is my cable company, cybering now requires too much effort, and my abacus is still only used for calculating DG's raid force.

Friends I still talk to:
Ladilya & Malianea - (no where near enough)
Nilbog - Daily
Dvain/Lorjak/Aluve - Daily
Fanwen - Daily
Nelof & Nosce - Weekly

People I miss:
Any and everyone that ever wore a Storm's Fury tag (sans Drall): Yenom, Nyllith, Darwyn, Tocap, Lith, Hevlac, Iose, Rimmuk, Burro, Laodorf, Bobbo, Saaril, Jax, Yppans, Kylien, Gooboy, Shemp, Lotte, Karitta, Leleni, Bulvyne, Sharmila, Laoke, Santhini, Deaman, Inish, Fionord, Rlaog, Morteguerrio, Aackie, Destian, Oohlala, Cadenc, Straahd 1.0, Nelof, Nosce so many others I know I've forgotten =(. I still miss you!

My homies from OoDW - Wardace, Sadru, Enso, Jaraxx, Mordlu, Bubbaray, Saphoe, Bridgecrusher, Maceblade

Homies from elsewhere - Ript, Osama Qum Laden, Thundarshi, Kelieria, Frostwolf, Ralleigh, Silac, Perky, Fooba, Maeel, Caave...so many more but I'm getting to old to remember lol.

/wave Camien & Gurglespit

Semi-something, not-fully-nothing, could be anything

I have walked my way since the beginning of time. Sometimes I give, sometimes I take. It is my choice to know which and when.
Aeolwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 05:33 AM   #40
Qumaden

Send a message via AIM to Qumaden
Man o man. Well, lets see, started EQ late '99, ended EQ umm...hell I dunno, 6 months or so after I got the epic 1.5. At the time I was a student(off and on) who could never get his motivation right enough to finish school. That remains a standard. I joined the Army(WTF?) got married(rly?) and now I'm in Iraq (suprise!) I play WoW here and there, got real hardcore into it for a while, but it just never had that magic that EQ had, so it seems so fleeting.

Out here in this shithole of a country, I find myself reminiscing about EQ alot, not sure what does it. I miss those old times staying up days at a time to camp an item, or grinding XP non-stop just to get another button to click. The hours and hours of raiding just to get a bad pull and wipe flushing those hours right down the toilet. I miss playing 6 characters at once just to get my twink rogue gear that 3/4 of the server doesn't have access to...those were the days.

The names of people I miss are many, and I doubt I could get a complete list going here without mistakenly forgetting someone and feeling bad. So, to everyone I ever played with except Teer, it was so much fun and I miss hanging out in Norrath.

Specific people who have already posted. Hi Wind, Raelven, Ogmuk, Crom, Fest, Louis. And thanks muk for puttin this together. Anyone miss the good ol days of waking up Monday morning, going into work sleep deprived and brain damaged but hungry for the flame wars that inevitably were on the boards?
Old 05-28-2009, 06:15 PM   #41
Nadaiia

Send a message via Yahoo to Nadaiia
Default whooo memories

wow the memories hehe /wavies and ^5's and hugs!

LIke most I got my first fix in 2000 and havent looked back since tho my play time has been less these days with a ft time job and school I still try to pop on and be damned if Iknow whats going on! (well assuming I ever did-hehe another story)

hmm whats been happening to me buying a townhouse in July 08, getting my first tatoo,cutting my hair short(lol those who know me, thats BIG)still single,no kids, just a happy auntie ( cause I can give em back lol) and 2 cats that never cease to make me laugh!

familiar names like Calrain or Crom-fondly remembered as ppl that took the time to show an ever lost doodad around or try to convince her she CAN kite ( yeah uh still cant lol)

How many of you were around for the search parties for me in the early days or trying to wake me up when I was camping an item way to late at night (particularly when I was in quest for enlightenment lol) nonnahs and myrilith and I have become good friends in RL and I try to visit with them every year in GA ( more nonnahs tho lol) theres Niaun who wasnt even on this server and we met at a fan faire and got along well cause her BF was way too into EQ for us lol we were there to party hehe

Ive little to no regert with EQ and will be a member till it dies ( odd I know) the fan faires even when you dont sign up are fun and I cant say as I regret even one meeting (but not listing my favorites to protect the innocent lol ME)

so heres to years to come!
Xos

"Smile and make the world wonder what you are smiling about"
Nadaiia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 10:30 AM   #42
WsaberMT

Alot has changed for me.Playing WoW but not near as much as use to play EQ.Bought a house,new truck and working on a 1969 ford mustang.
Old 06-09-2009, 08:56 AM   #43
Wildane
Psychopath w/a conscience

Originally Posted by Qumaden
Anyone miss the good ol days of waking up Monday morning, going into work sleep deprived and brain damaged but hungry for the flame wars that inevitably were on the boards?
Hell yes! Of course, some of us just moved over to the Steam Vent and get into flame wars over actual shit.

"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear." - Thomas Jefferson
Wildane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 08:08 AM   #44
Nire

Send a message via AIM to Nire Send a message via MSN to Nire
Quite a bit has changed for me...

I'm still running my business, albeit we mostly focus on web design now (www.RealityHosting.ca, but in the middle of a re-branding to www.lifelinedesign.ca)

I've got married, bought a house, play more console games than anything these days. I tried a few other MMORPGs but like most, none have been able to capture the magic of EQ for me, (EQ2 lasting the longest, I think mostly because of the number of EQ players who came over).

Right now, I'm tossing around the idea of setting up a private EQ Emu server for Sirbones and a few other friends to mess around on...
Old 07-16-2009, 10:25 PM   #45
Aishen L`Fey
Princess Kooky

Send a message via AIM to Aishen L`Fey
Still in the Seattle area and still with the same spouse who is still in the Navy (but not for long). I'm working at an economic consulting firm now, but I'll be applying to grad school in the Fall because, apparently, I am a masochist. Also, I've discovered that I'm allergic to children, so I have not and will not be having any. Oh, so sad. Cry.

And this is for Nuldar, who made me cry when he msg-ed me years ago to "fucking go to school": BA in Sociology, with distinction, summa cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa. (I know you meant well; now you have the satisfaction of knowing that the emotional ass-kicking you gave me paid off.)

Oh, and I still can't walk past a volume of Voltaire without thinking "Chiteng."
Old 07-21-2009, 09:59 AM   #46
Vendrix
I Kick Ass For The Lord!

Got married... no shit. She tolerates me even when I'm being an ass, which, admittedly, is most of the time.

http://feuros.com/wedding0.jpg
Old 07-24-2009, 06:53 PM   #47
Slayne

Send a message via AIM to Slayne
So many familiar names here

I toy with any MMO that looks like it may be worth paying for, but I only play casually on anything anymore. I've returned to playing mostly console games as I get more enjoyment out of them and I can turn them off when need be.

Ended up in IT, though I'm on the lowball side of things. Been doing it for a few years now, enjoyed it a lot at first to stop messing with art (perhaps because I didn't own a PC until after getting into college) but that enjoyment has since been lost. Attempting to get my motivation back to doing art after long days of work so I can find another occupation.

I mostly harass old Da`kor players since they all hit IRC. Most of everyone else has dropped out of contact or we post the occasional /poke on some message board. I've never been the most socialable guy out there, so I blame myself on my lack of keeping in touch.

I'm also bothering the state of California, fun.

/waves

ps (I remember you Twiggie, ha)
Old 08-19-2009, 07:04 AM   #48
Wildane
Psychopath w/a conscience

Originally Posted by Aishen L`Fey
apparently, I am a masochist.
This is news?

"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear." - Thomas Jefferson
Wildane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 04:02 AM   #49
Misty
Do Not Disturb

I started EQ on a break from Manufacturing Dip. at college. I'm taking a Bachelor of Social Sciences at La Trobe Uni (Bundoora campus) now. Kind of different stuff, huh.

Sem. One is completed. My best grade a B (Philosophy). Could've been better, but I left a question unanswered in the final Philosophy exam; if I'd made errors of logic those would have deducted marks - I wimped out. The truly difficult thing is just picking a path through the differing unit deadlines. There's only so many directions the attentive human can focus when tasked with simultaneous subject matter.

Next year I intend to drop Legal and take a Dip. Languages (pick one from Modern Greek, Indonesian, Japanese, Chinese, French, Italian, Spanish) with the rest of the BSSc. The academic rigor transforms into 'hard' mode from next year. It remains to be seen if continued study then is still just a matter of 'picking a path through the differing unit deadlines'. I content myself with my freshman's shield-of-invulnerability, ignorance shall not stain me.

The course structure necessitates that I drop one area of study each year so that my course of study narrows to a major in either Ant or Soc and the elective major (Philosophy) - with the Dip. Language thrown in.
"*blink* *blink* *blink*
*bliiiink* *bliiiink* *bliiiink*
*blink* *blink* *blink*
[fixt]

Mistyglen 68 Half Elf StormWarden (retired)
ex-Mystic Blue, ex-Sundered Heart, ex-Heart of Fenris
Redback's stuff
Redback 72 WoodElf Ranger (Lucid Devotion)

Last edited by Misty; 08-30-2009 at 06:59 AM.
Misty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 10:38 AM   #50
Chiteng
Supporter

Default changed?

I was married when I started playing and I am still married to her.

Things that have changed for me, are not light-hearted.

I have seen one EQ inspired marriage destroyed when the wife had an affair with a WoW player.(in RL)
It stops being funny, when its someone you know.

I have become grimmer more cynical, less amused. Only Kanya can make me laugh any longer.

Maybe this new DC online game will be fun.

Voltaire

'For those with faith, no proof is needed. For those without faith, no proof is enough'

French Priest
Chiteng is offline   Reply With Quote