Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > NON EQ Stuff (Real life, other games, etc.) > Other MMO's > FFXI

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2003, 05:12 AM   #1
Medion Palemoon
Supporter

Send a message via AIM to Medion Palemoon
Default And now for the bad...

Remember when EQ was new? (assuming you're one of the lucky ones who played at the beginning, before it became gimped). Well, that's sorta what FFXI is like now.

Sure, there were some good additions. The job systems is much better than EQ's class system, IMO. Hard to complain about class balance when you basically make you're own class.

The bazaar implementation is much better. Why restrict yourself to one zone? Of course, it's lacking in search funtions. The auction house and seperate economies are great.

There's a lot here to differentiate FFXI from EQ, for better or for worse. But there is a lot that is almost exactly the same, if not worse than, the original EQ.

I remember hunting efficiently in EQ, without any type of healer, up to level 30. Our main healers were a Ranger, Paladin, and Bard (Me, Floxx, Winu). FFXI? Good luck doing that here. This game is so clerc-centric (white mage) it's not even funny. You cannot have an efficient group past 18 without a white mage. There should never be this kind of singular class dependency in a game.

Leveling up? Every level you're required XP goes up, the the XP per kill goes down. Grouping outside your level is made absurd in this game. Group with someone below you, and you get no benefits, plus a weaker partner. Group with someone even one level above you, and watch the XP DROP.

The XP death penalty starts off anal (10% at lower levels) and ends up absurd (75% at higher levels). So when/if you get to that higher level, you could take a week to level, or de-level several times in a single day. In EQ you'll give a hundred plat or so for a res. In FFXI, you'll give your first and second born.

If you die while soloing or traveling, you're SOL. The game locks everything except /say, /tell, and /party wheil you wait for a raise. Yup, that means you cannot do a search for a white mage to raise your dead ass. So unless you know someone off the bat, you're better off just going back to your homepoint.

Like I said, there are a lot of bad things with this game, but plenty of good as well. The game has been out nearly a year and a half in Japan, so none of this is really going to be changed. I have 10 more days on my free trial, and I fully expect to play for at least another month or two. A lot of the higher level "knoweledge" that I have is from information passed down to me, since I'm not there myself. I want to at least make it to 30 and get my Paladin Flag before I think about quitting.

But no, this game hasn't made me anticipate WoW any less. If anything, it's made me want to play WoW even more.
Medion Palemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2003, 10:40 AM   #2
Gurglespit

Send a message via Yahoo to Gurglespit
I think it's a mental thing Medion.. there are lots of classes that can heal well into the 40's.. hell last night finishing the rank 5 mission (/cheer airpass!) the main group with the highest level people had only a Red Mage as a healer.. and she did just fine

Classes that can heal just fine lower levels.. probably up to the mid 30's - White Mage, Red Mage, Summoner (with either RDM/WHM sub), Black Mage (with RDM/WHM sub), some paladins (Galka and elvaan probably can't.. but the rest can) it's just that either the players of those classes don't want to be the healer (I can't count the number of idiot Red Mages I met in early levels that thought they were a warrior.. when they were the only caster in the group..) or the groups don't think of getting one of those other characters, because it's ingrained to everyone that you need a WHM.. when you really don't... but they are nice.

As far as the xp penalty.. it's always 10% of your current level need, so if you need 2000 xp to level (level 5ish) you will lose 200 xp if you die.. if you need 7000 xp to level (level 50ish) you will lose 700 xp if you die.. seems like a ton more.. but is really the same proportion..

XP seems to go down in the upper teens, but trust me.. once you hit 20 and hit up Qufim, and from then on.. you will see just how amazing xp can get.. I remember when I first got there and got my first xp chain for 250 xp.. and thought it'd never happen again.. but I ended up getting a few 280 chains in Khazam as high as 29.. in a good group in the right areas.. the xp can be insane.. I have a NA friend that is level 50 already.. and I have gotten to 30 in Samurai, 25 in Dark Knight, and 32 in RDM.. so xp isn't as hard to get as you think.. but it doesn't get better till you hit 20ish.. that's the breaking point
Old 12-07-2003, 12:43 PM   #3
Katty
Pain so close to Pleasure

Leveling up? Every level you're required XP goes up, the the XP per kill goes down. Grouping outside your level is made absurd in this game. Group with someone below you, and you get no benefits, plus a weaker partner. Group with someone even one level above you, and watch the XP DROP.

While i agree that the xp penalty for group with higher levels is dumb, the diffrence is only really noticable until level 25 or so. The higher levels the less penalty is.

But xp per kill does not go down as you level.
An even at level 1 is same xp as even at level 70: 100xp.
Benefits of grouping is more xp per kill at a faster kill rate. Grouping hold much more benefits than solo play does. Of course a bad group is gonna give bad xp, same as any mmorpg.
A good group with adequade damage, provokation and healing, are able to pull off mad xp chains, granted they might not be common. Also with the right renkei combos you'll be cruising.

I agree the game is flawed, there are some "features" which i undoubtely could live without. But the good outweights the bad, and i am having fun playing despite them.
Katty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 04:15 PM   #4
TipaDaKnife

okay, my char is 30 monk/22 ranger/14 red mage/6 white mage/6 thief/4 beastmaster/1 bard/1 paladin... have the kazham airpass... this game would be wonderful if it weren't for all the time sinks. Everything takes so long here. Rangers (the class I am working up now) require you to put in 2-3 hours each day building your crafting levels and working on making gil. I did the bard job quest for the money.

Takes forever to get places. At 20-30, you're in Jeuno, and that is probably the WORST place to be if you have to craft, since everything is so expensive.

I like the fame (ie city faction) and the auction house and the missions. I have an alt char that farms crystals and supplies for me because I can't leave Jeuno that often, so I am getting the fun of being a Taru black mage as well. Black mages are cool. INC! Boom! oh. okay. Pulling again.

I got kicked from a group this morning because I leveled to 22, which put me a level ahead of everyone else (was a 19-21 group doing worms in Qufim). They couldn't take the exp hit. So I hopped on to my black mage and farmed crystals and batwings (200 gil for 2 in Sandoria), honey etc...

This game is the time sink of time sinks. Though I hear Horizons is even worse...
Kanda, 60 Troll Priestess, Kirin Tor, WoW
Dina Tanglewood, 53 Troubador, Befallen, EQ2
Dera Tanglewood, 47 Inquisitor, Befallen, EQ2
TipaDaKnife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 05:18 PM   #5
Medion Palemoon
Supporter

Send a message via AIM to Medion Palemoon
The XP system is a joke. If you have a group of 3-4 people at level 19, for example, you'd ebtter not take anyone above that level. Taking 1 -2 people below 19 is ok if they're ok witha small XP hit. But if yout ake a person even 1 level above 19, everyone takes an XP dump.

I feel bad that you were kicked from that group. I usually form my own groups, and if I level past the high level, I'll ask them to let me get my buffer, find a replacement, and leave. Thankfully, most people are understanding, and I haven't been asked to leave a group due to this yet.

The game is great overall. I really enjoy it, and will be playing it until at least the release of WoW. But there are some glaring flaws in the game's design. However, I'd rather see most of them left in place, rather than knee-jerk Sony-esque reactions and attempts to fix it. One thing I hated with EQ was my classes's role chaning from expansion to expansion due to their lack of foresight.
Medion Palemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 02:37 AM   #6
Katty
Pain so close to Pleasure

Depends who you take thats one level higher. Maybe you could move onto mob that are a little higher then and get same xp anyway.

seriously wish they did something to the xp system, i think i've grouped with my own LS once in this game in the 1.5 months i've played now.
Katty is offline   Reply With Quote