Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > NON EQ Stuff (Real life, other games, etc.) > Steam Vent


Reply
 
Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2006, 02:14 AM   #76
Giliani
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 78
Originally Posted by Drysdale
You can't have it both ways... Either these people are working there voluntarily or they aren't. Which is it?
A lot of servers don't really have a choice, but by your reasoning, if they did, then you wouldn't have a server, because there are not enough youth to be doing the job, especially as they will surly be vying for all those awesome, non-serving jobs you seem to think are out there


Originally Posted by Drysdale
They won't get cancer after 3 years of a smoky environment. And after school, they'll most likely move on. That was a poor extrapolation of what I said, now wasn't it?
No, it wasn't, where is your info that it takes more than three years to suffer ill effects of second hand smoke? We are not just talking about cancer, there is more ill effects related to smoke, both direct, and indirect. Some smokers can smoke a lifetime, and die of something else, others....not so lucky. The same can be said for indirect smoke.
So, it's an okay risk for them to take, because they are young? Work place protection is to protect from the possibility of injury, not the surity of it. If that were the case, there would be no protection afforded, because nothing is a surity when it comes to injury. Lets relax the fire laws, who needs extinguishers, or first aid kits, cuz the injury may not happen at all......



Originally Posted by Drysale
I see you know me SOOOO well. Actually, I'm very polite, usually tip 20%, and always have the waitperson smiling while I'm there. I've even had one lady (recently) comment on how polite I was and nod when I said "If everyone were just a little bit polite, we wouldn't have nearly as many problems in this world." So yeah... you know nothing. Oh, and I didn't say those jobs were beneath anyone. I said that if you were working at a bar as a waiter/waitress after about the age of 28, you had no ambition. Don't put words in my mouth.
/pats Drysdale on the back for being so polite (you seemed to be looking for kudos)
So, that woman, who's husband leaves her with kids after 20 years of marriage, she lacks ambition. That guy who gets downsized, and doesn't want to go on welfare, he lacks ambition. The woman who leaves her current career to go back to school to do something she loves, and subsidizes her savings with a job at the diner....she's not ambitious. And due to all their horrible lack of ambition, we shouldn't worry about affording them protection at work, from the possibility of grave illness.

The fact is, being a server can have many benefits for the right person, even if they are not under 28, flexible hours, good tips (if you get a good place, and are good).
Giliani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 07:33 AM   #77
Drysdale
RSS Feed
 
Drysdale's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 20,628
Originally Posted by Giliani
A lot of servers don't really have a choice, but by your reasoning, if they did, then you wouldn't have a server, because there are not enough youth to be doing the job, especially as they will surly be vying for all those awesome, non-serving jobs you seem to think are out there
Why don't they have a choice? Is someone holding a gun to their head?


No, it wasn't, where is your info that it takes more than three years to suffer ill effects of second hand smoke? We are not just talking about cancer, there is more ill effects related to smoke, both direct, and indirect. Some smokers can smoke a lifetime, and die of something else, others....not so lucky. The same can be said for indirect smoke.
So, it's an okay risk for them to take, because they are young? Work place protection is to protect from the possibility of injury, not the surity of it. If that were the case, there would be no protection afforded, because nothing is a surity when it comes to injury. Lets relax the fire laws, who needs extinguishers, or first aid kits, cuz the injury may not happen at all......
So far. there hasn't been a reliable study done on the effects of secnd hand smoke that show any serious effects. The most reliable study was done by the UN and wasn't published because it showed what a farce the entire 2nd hand smoke thing really was.




/pats Drysdale on the back for being so polite (you seemed to be looking for kudos)
Nope. Showing you that you don't know me, and shouldn't try to put words in my mouth.

So, that woman, who's husband leaves her with kids after 20 years of marriage, she lacks ambition. That guy who gets downsized, and doesn't want to go on welfare, he lacks ambition. The woman who leaves her current career to go back to school to do something she loves, and subsidizes her savings with a job at the diner....she's not ambitious. And due to all their horrible lack of ambition, we shouldn't worry about affording them protection at work, from the possibility of grave illness.
Again, false thought string. Your base assumption is faulty, so your entire string here is shit. Sorry. But hey! If she doesn't want to work at a diner or a bar, nobody's forcing her to. Those aren't the only jobs available. Take a look in the sunday paper and see how many other jobs there are. Quite a few.

The fact is, being a server can have many benefits for the right person, even if they are not under 28, flexible hours, good tips (if you get a good place, and are good).
Not according to you. According to you, that job is a deathtrap and nobody should work there. You really need to dump the ADD process and settle on an argument...
__________________
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."
-Robert A. Heinlein

"Thou shalt not steal. Except by majority vote." - Gary North
Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 07:36 AM   #78
Drysdale
RSS Feed
 
Drysdale's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 20,628
Originally Posted by Axgar
Heyyyy Drys I bartend and like it, of course in ND you dont have to make 200k a year to survive so......... (although its not where I planned to be at this point in my life but admittedly I fucked up a lot of good opportunities and possibly may try fix some of the fuckups in the near future).
A bartender isn't a waiter/waitress. It's a little more of a lifelong job, and calls for a lot of skill. I see the bartender as the impromptu manager most of the time. Plus, bartending can pay a really good salary (+ tips) for someone. Waiting tables (unless you're at a 5 star or a tit bar) usually isn't that good a job.


As far as the polite thing Drys, IF people were all as polite as you apparenlty are they wouldnt be blowing smoke in restaurants whether it was legal or not, now bars are different IMO but if they do make it illegal Im not going to get bent out of shape.
I disagree. If there's a smoking section, it's not ruse to smoke there. I think it's in the best interest of the resturant to provide a seperate area that's either closed off or at least far enough away so that the smoke doesn't bother nonsmokers, but I'd never want to see that crap made into a law based on the junk science all these yahoos are throwing around.
__________________
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."
-Robert A. Heinlein

"Thou shalt not steal. Except by majority vote." - Gary North
Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 08:24 AM   #79
Axgar
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 7,028
Send a message via Yahoo to Axgar
I choose not to do it because I think it not only ruins my meal but it ruins other peoples meals whom are trying to enjoy it, so we agree to disagree either way the law is the law and as of now a lot of places cannnot have smoking...............

The ball is now rolling like every thing else, people gave them an inch now they will take a mile, its like the anti christian crusade that some people don't see, first they take away the right to post the ten commandements or pray in school next thing you know they will be trying to take christ out of Christmas and ban parades with naitivity scenes............... OHHHHHHHHHH wait nevermind.
Axgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 09:42 AM   #80
Drysdale
RSS Feed
 
Drysdale's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 20,628
Originally Posted by Axgar
I choose not to do it because I think it not only ruins my meal but it ruins other peoples meals whom are trying to enjoy it, so we agree to disagree either way the law is the law and as of now a lot of places cannnot have smoking...............
Most of my smoking friends act about like that. They'll smoke after they eat, and outdoors. But if I'm sitting in a smoking section, I take what's coming to me...

The ball is now rolling like every thing else, people gave them an inch now they will take a mile, its like the anti christian crusade that some people don't see, first they take away the right to post the ten commandements or pray in school next thing you know they will be trying to take christ out of Christmas and ban parades with naitivity scenes............... OHHHHHHHHHH wait nevermind.
__________________
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."
-Robert A. Heinlein

"Thou shalt not steal. Except by majority vote." - Gary North
Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:37 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.