Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > NON EQ Stuff (Real life, other games, etc.) > Steam Vent

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2004, 08:32 AM   #26
Segis

Originally Posted by bumbleroot
I think this is a terrible idea. It is done merely as a reaction to military shortages.
Um, no. It is done to respond to the change in threat locations. Europe is not the threat location, the Middle East and Korea are the current global powder kegs.

The correct thing would be to expand the military not to keep shuffling pieces around.
That's on the table right now (with Congress), mainly to relieve operational tempo. Even with the suggested plus-ups, we won't be anywhere close to where we were in the 80's or even the Gulf War.

We have now completely given the Euros the message that we will not fight this war with them.
How would this have any impact on their opinion of the war on terror? They're not exactly bending over backwards to help us in Afganistan or Iraq.
Segis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 08:51 AM   #27
Sakkath

Originally Posted by Segis
How would this have any impact on their opinion of the war on terror? They're not exactly bending over backwards to help us in Afganistan or Iraq.
Actually they have been in Afghanistan. For reasons that have been gone over again and again, Iraq is seen as a seperate issue. Lets just say there are differing opinions as to whether the intervention there did the 'war on terror' good or harm.

European countries have been bending over backwards to disrupt and arrest terrorists in great numbers. Maybe that's forgotten/under-reported with all the Euro-bashing over the disagreements about how to handle Iraq.
Sakkath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 10:24 AM   #28
Kaltana

Originally Posted by Lurikeen
I hate to find that we agree on another issue, Laird.
Isn't this one of those signs of impending apocalypse we keep hearing about?

Khalynn
Kaltana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 10:51 AM   #29
Wildane
Psychopath w/a conscience

Originally Posted by Sakkath
Iraq is seen as a seperate issue
Don't you mean separate?

Gotta love the spelling nazis.

"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear." - Thomas Jefferson
Wildane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 11:02 AM   #30
Sakkath

damn you Wildane!
Sakkath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 11:04 AM   #31
Wildane

"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear." - Thomas Jefferson
Old 08-17-2004, 11:05 AM   #32
bumbleroot

And today John McCain came out criticizing this policy as well. Seems to me like I am not alone.
This would be a good measure at a different time, but not at this time. When you are waging a worldwide war on terror, you don't reallocate troops in lieue of adding more troops. This is a shitty political attempt to avoid the obvious answer of adding more troops. Doing this at the expense of our nation's security and merely to pacify a political purpose is the worst possible way to manage our military.
bumbleroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 11:14 AM   #33
Segis

This is a shitty political attempt to avoid the obvious answer of adding more troops. Doing this at the expense of our nation's security and merely to pacify a political purpose is the worst possible way to manage our military.
Did you miss this part?
That's on the table right now (with Congress), mainly to relieve operational tempo. Even with the suggested plus-ups, we won't be anywhere close to where we were in the 80's or even the Gulf War.
Segis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 11:27 AM   #34
Lurikeen
Freaky

This would be a good measure at a different time, but not at this time.
That's a valid point.

When you are waging a worldwide war on terror, you don't reallocate troops in lieue of adding more troops.
Don't kid yourself on that point. Kerry, when elected president , will face the same issues with how to deploy troops throughout the world to fight this so-called "war" on terrorism. He certainly will not bring back the draft, since that is political suicide (Bush knows that too). If you have a limited number of troops you have to place them where you are gonna get more bang for your buck.
Old 08-17-2004, 11:28 AM   #35
Fenlayen

Originally Posted by Segis
So I can tell all my friends and family who are in the British armed forces that they can leave Iraq because there not needed ?

Ohoo not to mention a couple of people I know who are still serving in Afganistan.

Fenlayen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 11:32 AM   #36
Wildane

Originally Posted by bumbler
And today John McCain came out criticizing this policy as well. Seems to me like I am not alone.
He did? Where?

Old 08-17-2004, 11:36 AM   #37
chukzombi
The Undead Shaman

Those troops should have been re deployed 10 or more years ago, Clinton was so worried about dismantling the military to save a buck, yet he ignored doing this. heh
Old 08-17-2004, 07:50 PM   #38
bumbleroot

the Middle East and Korea are the current global powder kegs.
Well that would be good except we are pulling some troops out of Korea. That doesn't seem like the right way to fight the war on terror to me, does it seem this way to anyone else?

I heard McCain say that on the radio.
Old 08-17-2004, 08:12 PM   #39
bumbleroot

McCain's statements were made today in front of the Armed Services Committee. This clip was broadcast on MSNBC.