Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > NON EQ Stuff (Real life, other games, etc.) > Steam Vent

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2004, 08:23 AM   #1
chukzombi
The Undead Shaman

Default Kerry citation a 'total mystery' to ex-Navy chief

http://www.suntimes.com/output/elect...ws-lips28.html

Kerry citation a 'total mystery' to ex-Navy chief

August 28, 2004

BY THOMAS LIPSCOMB Advertisement

Former Navy Secretary John Lehman has no idea where a Silver Star citation displayed on Democratic presidential nominee John Kerry's campaign Web site came from, he said Friday. The citation appears over Lehman's signature.

"It is a total mystery to me. I never saw it. I never signed it. I never approved it. And the additional language it contains was not written by me," he said.

The additional language varied from the two previous citations, signed first by Adm. Elmo Zumwalt and then Adm. John Hyland, which themselves differ. The new material added in the Lehman citation reads in part: "By his brave actions, bold initiative, and unwavering devotion to duty, Lieutenant (jg) Kerry reflected great credit upon himself...."

Asked how the citation could have been executed over his signature without his knowledge, Lehman said: "I have no idea. I can only imagine they were signed by an autopen." The autopen is a device often used in the routine execution of executive documents in government.

Kerry senior adviser Michael Meehan could not be reached for comment on Kerry's records.
More evidence that Kerry has doctored his war records.
Old 08-28-2004, 08:55 AM   #2
Hormadrune
Sociopathic bully?

Default Chuk, keep reaching

Asked how the citation could have been executed over his signature without his knowledge, Lehman said: "I have no idea. I can only imagine they were signed by an autopen." The autopen is a device often used in the routine execution of executive documents in government.
You got nothing here.
Old 08-28-2004, 09:00 AM   #3
LairdRagna

Yeah, autopens are often used. But when important documents, related to VIPs are concerned, the person whose signature will appear is in the very least notified of the use for this particular purpose, and will often choose to sign those by hand. Maybe it is nothing, but I spent a couple years writing proclamations and handling executive correspondance in the legislature and for a Governor. Something like a Silver Star citation for a sitting Senator would not be a run of the mill event that was likely just run through an autopen.

Like I said, its possible that it was, but not likely.
LairdRagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 09:00 AM   #4
chukzombi
The Undead Shaman

So let me guess, you think he is lying too? How many eyewitnesses are you going to call a liar before you start to ask yourself, "maybe all of these guys arent lying and maybe just maybe my guy fudged his record to look more heroic"?
Old 08-28-2004, 09:08 AM   #5
LairdRagna

Chuk, in all fairness a citation WAS issued from Lehman's office. The question than becomes, if Kehman did not approve the revised language... who did? I can buy that it was done with an autopen, because if Lehman didn't hand sign it... somebody or something had to. The issue is the revised language, and why was it neither approved by Lehman or why wasn't he notified that such a high profile person was requesting a revision. That's what does not compute. When a Senator's office requests anything, it is included in reports to the Secretary and also passed along to the president. Same thing at the state level, if an executive agency receives a request from a state legislator or member of congress, the department or division receiving the request notifies the commissioner for any approvals needed and it is included in the monthly report to the Secretary to the Governor (chief of staff).

Sorry, I'm not buying any member of congress requests a revision and the Secretary doesn't know and no report was made up the chain unless something foul is afoot. Just doesn't happen. The interesting thing will be seeing what slander the liberals use to discredit Lehman since the whole angry vet argument isn't available to them this time.
Old 08-28-2004, 09:24 AM   #6
Hormadrune
Sociopathic bully?

He wasn't Secretary of the Navy during Vietnam guys- he held that post under Reagan. He held the rank of Commander at his highest point during his Naval service. I'm not sure what rank he held at the time of this citation but it was no higher than Commander.

http://www.history.navy.mil/ar/lima/lehman.htm
Old 08-28-2004, 09:33 AM   #7
LairdRagna

The point Horm is requests do not come in from members of congress and just get shuffled through without it being brought to the Secretary's attention. Just doesn't happen. Too much fear something would be screwed up and you'd have a hornet's nest on your hands. The SecNav would know, the SecDef would know and the White House Chief of Staff would be made aware. The fact that Lehman says he didn't know is what is troubling. I have no doubt a citation was issued without his actual signature. My question is who rewrote the citation and ran it through the machine and entered it into the official record if Lehman did not authorize it or even know?
Old 08-28-2004, 09:34 AM   #8
Hormadrune
Sociopathic bully?

In terms of motivations for this guy: he's reported to be angling for the CIA gig and is a longtime friend of Republican politicians.
Old 08-28-2004, 09:42 AM   #9
Hormadrune
Sociopathic bully?

Laird- if he was simply a commander at the time, your argument is moot. He was not SecNav at the time and would not have been a part of your proposed communication chain if indeed citations work that way, so he would not have known.

Am I confusing something here- what are you talking about sitting senator requests for? Kerry was awarded the Silver Star during his time in Vietnam- not 10-20 years after the fact when Lehman was SecNav.
Old 08-28-2004, 09:42 AM   #10
LairdRagna

Well Horm if that were the case rule number one for a prospective nominee is to maintain a low profile, especially when you need Senate confirmation. Pissing off the democrats who could thwart your confirmation would not be conducive to the process... yanno?
Old 08-28-2004, 09:46 AM   #11
LairdRagna

Originally Posted by Hormadrune
Laird- if he was simply a commander at the time, your argument is moot. He was not SecNav at the time and would not have been a part of your proposed communication chain if indeed citations work that way, so he would not have known.

Am I confusing something here- what are you talking about sitting senator requests for? Kerry was awarded the Silver Star during his time in Vietnam- not 10-20 years after the fact when Lehman was SecNav.
The citation was rewritten, it was for the same award, but the citation which is supposed to be the historical record of the award was changed. That is the controversy. Its not like it was a simple reissue, as if you lost your college diploma so the school sends you another only with the new Chancellor's signature rather than the one from when you graduated.

Then there is the issue of how a Combat V was awarded along with it, when there is no such thing as a Combat V on a silver star. Kind of like getting that replacement diploma that is now stamped Uber Summa Cum Laude Extraordinarie... when no such academic honor exists.
Old 08-28-2004, 09:59 AM   #12
Hormadrune
Sociopathic bully?

Ah- I see (upon looking at the .pdf on Kerry's site) the reissue. That makes a bit more sense now.

I still find the accusation of doctoring a document they freely post, knowing full well its likely prominence, to be far-fetched at best.