Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > NON EQ Stuff (Real life, other games, etc.) > Steam Vent

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2004, 03:23 PM   #1
chukzombi
The Undead Shaman

Default Kerry cowers to Democrats

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,120936,00.html

Kerry to Accept Nomination at Convention

Wednesday, May 26, 2004

WASHINGTON Bowing to pressure, John Kerry (search) decided Wednesday to accept the nomination at the Democratic presidential convention in July, scuttling a plan to delay the formality so he could narrow President Bush's public money advantage.

"Boston is the place where America's freedom began, and it's where I want the journey to the Democratic nomination to be completed," Kerry said in a statement released by his campaign. "On Thursday, July 29, with great pride, I will accept my party's nomination for president in the city of Boston. From there we will begin our journey to a new America."

The statement ended four days of controversy over an idea that was supposed to remain a secret for several more weeks.

Several Kerry advisers had wanted him to forgo the nomination at the Democratic convention in late July and wait five weeks until Bush accepts the Republican nod. That would give both candidates the same time to spend $75 million in public money set aside for the general election.

But the plan leaked weeks before Kerry had intended, causing an uproar in his home town of Boston site of the July 26-29 convention and among Democrats who feared that voters would view the tactic as too political.

Kerry had planned to wait several weeks before deciding what to do, but word of his deliberations leaked last week, forcing his hand.

"We believe it is right to start the general election on the same day as our opponents, and we will continue to explore every way possible to level the playing field against the Republicans' five week advantage," Kerry said

One of those ways is having Kerry raise money for the Democratic National Committee (search), which could air ads to bolster Kerry's effort. However, the Kerry campaign would have little or no control over those commercials.
Looks like Kerry couldnt take the heat from his own party and folded faster than Superman on laundry day. Gotta love how Kerry stands by his convictions.
Old 05-26-2004, 04:33 PM   #2
Hormadrune
Sociopathic bully?

Well, I still think he should have held out, but as a guy that gets a lot of crap for being a "politician" (which never fails to crack me up), I sorta figured he'd cave in rather than create more of an issue than was already created.

The scheduling of the conventions is still pretty bogus though I'm curious how that worked out
Old 05-26-2004, 05:16 PM   #3
Lurikeen
Freaky

Originally Posted by chukzombi
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,120936,00.html

Looks like Kerry couldnt take the heat from his own party and folded faster than Superman on laundry day. Gotta love how Kerry stands by his convictions.
Yeah, it's amazing what candidates will do in order to get votes. I wonder if Bush ever "folded" on issues in order to get votes?
Old 05-26-2004, 06:07 PM   #4
bumbleroot

I believe that the reason Kerry is accepting then is because some networks had considered not broadcasting the convention if Kerry didn't accept.
bumbleroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 06:08 PM   #5
bumbleroot

Imagine Kerry's gaul not listening to the desires of his party. The nerve of the guy.
bumbleroot is offline   Reply With Quote