Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > NON EQ Stuff (Real life, other games, etc.) > Steam Vent

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2004, 12:22 PM   #1
chukzombi
The Undead Shaman

Default Racism over cigarettes?

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,120818,00.html

Online Smokes Sales Bruise Convenience Stores

Tuesday, May 25, 2004

NEW YORK — Convenience stores are losing customers to online cigarette vendors (search), having seen their 60 percent share of sales slowly go up in smoke.

Many Internet services are run by Native American tribes, which don't have the same tax obligations and are able to charge lower prices for cigarettes.

Web sales have already taken away an estimated $1.5 billion in tax revenues from shops, according to a report put out by the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms (search).

But some Indian reservations face delivery restrictions in many states and recently lost a court appeal that would have made it easier to use shipping companies to deliver packs of cigarettes.

The tribe’s attorney, Joseph Crangle, argues the ban is detrimental to Native Americans’ income.

"It's almost really — almost racist, quite frankly — for recent attacks against the Indian entrepreneurship that these folks have developed these last several years," Crangle said.

Lobbyists for the convenience stores say not only are tribes skipping out on tax payments, but they are selling to minors. One group involved with the fight is the FACT Alliance for the Fair Application of Cigarette Taxes (search), an advocacy group against tax evasion on cigarettes.
I think these guys should stop hiding behind their reservation to cheat on taxes.
Old 05-25-2004, 12:28 PM   #2
bumbleroot

Gee Chuk, do you suppose the land you live on today was once owned by Indians? I suppose you would be willing to give that back to them so they can pay their cigarette taxes eh?
bumbleroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 12:44 PM   #3
chukzombi
The Undead Shaman

Boohoo more white man guilt over something that happened 140+ years ago. How long do americans pay becuase someones great great great great grandaddy did something bad to somebody elses great great great great grandaddy?
Old 05-25-2004, 12:54 PM   #4
Vireil
Disturbing the force

How long do americans pay becuase someones great great great great grandaddy did something bad to somebody elses great great great great grandaddy?

I suppose that once Bush is done in Iraq he can go ahead and work on renegotiating some treaties.
Vireil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 01:05 PM   #5
Trech

Send a message via MSN to Trech
Originally Posted by bumbleroot
Gee Chuk, do you suppose the land you live on today was once owned by Indians? I suppose you would be willing to give that back to them so they can pay their cigarette taxes eh?
I don't give a fuck who "once" owned the land. It's mine now.
Trech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 01:21 PM   #6
Hormadrune
Sociopathic bully?

Native Americans were certainly due some payback for the shit that was done to them by this country. However, in this instance, the fact that they don't have to pay most taxes is enough- trying to gain exemptions from laws in place to protect minors is simply greedy bullshit.
Old 05-25-2004, 01:23 PM   #7
bumbleroot

Its not payback. It is a treaty that we as a nation fashioned when we placed Indians on their reservations. I suppose that you expect us to break that treaty? If they are crafty enough to find their way around the taxes, what makes them any different than a corporation doing the same thing?
bumbleroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 01:29 PM   #8
chukzombi
The Undead Shaman

So its ok for indians to profit tax free while peddling cigarettes to minors illegally becuase somebody stepped on one of their sacred rocks back in 1870?
Old 05-25-2004, 03:40 PM   #9
AtticaX'Layan

Default Indian Wars

Indian Wars ended as late as 1906.

Technically beyond some basics laws that have to be, they are given land that they can have their own walls. You can't force statehood and full citizenship on that.

If you want them to join the system, give them a reason why. Offer tax breaks and some housing.

Don't do it because of guilt, not your fault, do it because they are still the poorest miniority in the country.
Nuzzley Bardstomper
AtticaX'Layan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 10:55 PM   #10
chukzombi
The Undead Shaman

And whose fault is it that they are the poorest minority? They stay drunk on the reservation all day its kinda hard to make a living. they need to do away with most/all of those reservations, turn them into national parks and hire a portion of those indians on as rangers/guides for tourists. the rest sober up and get to fucking work!
Old 05-26-2004, 12:57 AM   #11
AtticaX'Layan

Default Fair or not...

Fair or not we made many deals with the Native Americans. Many we backed out of, but we made a deal none the less with them to live on tax free land. It would only be ethically right to give them a reason to pay taxes. Give them a reason to join.

Some basic housing and homesteading would do that I think. And you are right to a point Chuk that they need to help themselves.
Nuzzley Bardstomper
AtticaX'Layan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 01:00 AM   #12
Gerick

Originally Posted by bumbleroot
your a fucking idiot, the people of today were not slaves, the people of today arnt noble native americans crying over trash on the road side, if you want to pay someone off over guilt why not figure out how to resurrect the people that had the hardships, not their greedy great grandchildren who have no respect for themselves

they make a profit with-in the borders of the united states, they should pay the taxes.
Gerick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 05:22 AM   #13
Maximus Faticus

I think there is a easy solution to this. Put a tarif on the products they are trying to sell. Treat it like anything else we import.
Maximus Faticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 05:27 AM   #14
Caelie123

I'm all for whatever makes a pack of cigarettes cheaper