Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > NON EQ Stuff (Real life, other games, etc.) > Steam Vent

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2004, 11:49 AM   #26
Inmountains

"Having a family that size today is simply insane- virtually noone can properly support a family that size." Hormadrune

Wow Horma, talk about stereotype!! Maybe the government should limit the number of children a couple can have. Maybe your definition of "properly support" is a new computer every year, a 300 dollar bicycle at age 8, always have a new pair of Nike's and a new car at age 16. Then a 4 year education at Harvard or Yale!! Some couple's with a six figure income can't support a single child, and another family making 40K a year can support a family with 10 children. We have a family at church that has 10 kids, same mom and dad, 9 boys and 1 girl. She stays home while dad works in an Auto Body Shop, and they are doing very well, and just bought a new home.

Horm, you accuse the "conservatives" of stereotyping, when you are doing that exact thing here!!
Inmountains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 12:30 PM   #27
Hormadrune
Sociopathic bully?

IM- you continue to make your mark as the board's fastest rising (falling?) tard.

I even qualified my statement- which you selectively quoted of course- by saying that my "properly" probably differed from that of a rural couple, the man from which actually goes by "Jim Bob."

To me- properly means being able to clothe, feed, and educate your children properly, as well as give them reasonable amounts of parental love and wisdom. And by education I do mean through a bachelor's degree, which is an incredibly important asset for most Americans.

Cost of in-state tuition at my state university was roughly $12k (tuition + fees, Room and Board etc....) when I went- a bargain compared to the ~$30k private college I went to for my freshman year.

With no time-related adjustments, this family has a $720k cost of secondary education coming to them, before financial aid of course. I don't think the Duggans, or whatever their name was, appear to be the sort of people who will be plunking down $720k. They have imposed gross hardships on their children's potential simply by virtue of having so many of them. It's entirely possible that each and every one of those children could find their way through and become wildly successful and educated individuals. It's also entirely possible that I could knockout Mike Tyson, Lennox Lewis, and Andrew Golota in a 3 on one bareknuckle boxing match- but it's a longshot

So yeah, if you want a bunch of farmhands, then by all means, have your wife be pregnant for 20 years in a row. If you really want to give your kids a chance in this world, put a condom on you stupid fucking hillbilly.
Old 05-26-2004, 07:34 PM   #28
Flub Man
Here's to you liberals!!!

Originally Posted by Wildane
Screw you, Flub! GO DAWGS!
Let me finish that for you....GO DAWGS....TO BATON ROUGE AND SEE THE 2003 SEC AND NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP TROPHY!!!

"Starkville is the Indian word for Trailer Park."
~ Skip Bertman

'I was just wrong. Flub you are correct.'
~bumble
Flub Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 09:38 PM   #29
Luky

Horm it isn't a parental obligation to pay for a college education. Surely, you are not saying that is is in your eyes? Or that any parent who does not do this is not "helping their child reach their highest potential" ?
Old 05-26-2004, 11:14 PM   #30
Yoora Mook

Home briefly from the hospital later Monday, Jim Bob, 38, sounded a bit tired but happy. He said his wife, who is also his sister, and new son were doing fine. He said he leaves the decision up to Michelle on whether to have more children.

Go Arkansas ~
Yoora Mook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 04:12 AM   #31
Kerryn

I agree with Horm. I've got 2 kids, one is 8, the other 5 months old and I'm concerned at this moment in time that my 8 year old isn't getting the attention that she needs.

When you're constantly looking after babies, everything, and everyone else gets neglected.

On a pure time basis alone no family should have 15 kids.

As far as money is concerned it's very hard to quantify but the last time I looked at any stats it takes about 108,000 over here to raise one child to maturity. As you increase the number of children the costs fall.

I can't count how many outfits we bought for Darian over the past 4 months only got worn once because he grew out of them ( I'm shopping for baby clothes on a fortnightly basis at the moment ) All of those clothes would get passed on in a larger family. However, food doesn't. The cost of baby milk at times is crippling and you cannot tell me that those 15 kids are being looked after properly and eating anything other then the most basic of food.

Families had that many children years ago. Mainly because in the past ( and present third world countries ) the mortality rate for children under 10 was so high. Families also had numerous offsprings to enable those children to look after them in old age ( once again economic hardship applies )

Now you can jump up on the high-horse that it worked then so it should work now but the fact is it never truly worked. Kids were expected to work as young as 5, typically thrown out at 12 or 13, and the rate of child crime pre 1900 was massive.

All in all it's a very outdated concept.

In today's society it's very different. What do you think is "proper". It might not be required that you buy your kids a PS2 or an X-Box. It might not be required that you pay for your kids education. It might not be required that you give your children anything other then the base minimum food to survive.

Doesn't mean that not providing these things for your child is a good way of living life.

I think Jim-Bob needs to learn how to use his tongue.
Kerryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 05:05 AM   #32
Wildane
Psychopath w/a conscience

Originally Posted by Flub
Let me finish that for you....GO DAWGS....TO BATON ROUGE AND SEE THE 2003 SEC AND NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP TROPHY!!!
You keep that up and I'm gonna come to your bar and take all the cigarettes away from the smokers!

"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear." - Thomas Jefferson
Wildane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 06:25 AM   #33
Flub Man
Here's to you liberals!!!

Originally Posted by Wildane
You keep that up and I'm gonna come to your bar and take all the cigarettes away from the smokers!
Go ahead. I only smoke cigars. Victory cigars at that.

When ya'll come down in Sept. You be sure to look at the pretty National Championship Flag that flies over th stadium. Because that is as close as ya'll will get to one.

"Starkville is the Indian word for Trailer Park."
~ Skip Bertman

'I was just wrong. Flub you are correct.'
~bumble
Flub Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 06:58 AM   #34
Hormadrune
Sociopathic bully?

Originally Posted by Lukaria
Horm it isn't a parental obligation to pay for a college education. Surely, you are not saying that is is in your eyes? Or that any parent who does not do this is not "helping their child reach their highest potential" ?
In my mind it is- I will feel obligated to and will be glad to pay for my children's college educations- it is one of the greatest gifts you can give your children. And yes, I feel that parents who can't or won't pay for their children's education are doing them a terrible disservice.

Don't get me wrong- I don't expect people to remain childless unless they meet income requirements or anything- I understand the desire to have children, but having 15 children unless you are quite wealthy is grossly irresponsible.
Old 05-27-2004, 09:21 AM   #35
chukzombi
The Undead Shaman

After seeing what college kids do now when they should be studying there is no way id pay for my kids college. Go party on your own dime, thats not why you're there.