Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > NON EQ Stuff (Real life, other games, etc.) > Steam Vent

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2010, 10:05 AM   #1
Martigan
Supporter

Send a message via AIM to Martigan
Default Mad Moe

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100519/...istan_facebook

Muslim anger prompts Pakistan to block Facebook

LAHORE, Pakistan – Pakistan's government ordered Internet service providers to block Facebook on Wednesday amid anger over a page that encourages users to post images of Islam's Prophet Muhammad.

The page on the social networking site has generated criticism in Pakistan and elsewhere because Islam prohibits any images of the prophet. The government took action after a group of Islamic lawyers won a court order Wednesday requiring officials to block Facebook until May 31.

By Wednesday evening, access to the site was sporadic, apparently because Internet providers were implementing the order.

The Facebook page at the center of the dispute — "Everybody Draw Mohammed Day!" — encourages users to post images of the prophet on May 20 to protest threats made by a radical Muslim group against the creators of "South Park" for depicting Muhammad in a bear suit during an episode earlier this year.

In the southern city of Karachi, about 2,000 female students rallied demanding that Facebook be banned for tolerating the page. Several dozen male students held a rally nearby, with some holding signs urging Islamic holy war against those who blaspheme the prophet.

"We are not trying to slander the average Muslim," said the information section of the Facebook page, which was still accessible Wednesday morning. "We simply want to show the extremists that threaten to harm people because of their Mohammad depictions that we're not afraid of them. That they can't take away our right to freedom of speech by trying to scare us into silence."

A series of cartoons of the prophet published in a Danish newspaper in 2005 sparked violent protests by Muslims around the world, including Pakistan, and death threats against the cartoonists.

In an attempt to respond to public anger over the Facebook controversy, the Pakistani government ordered Internet service providers in the country to block the page Tuesday, said Khurram Ali, a spokesman for the Pakistan Telecommunications Authority.

But the Islamic Lawyers' Forum asked the Lahore High Court on Wednesday to order the government to fully block Facebook because it allowed the page to be posted in the first place, said the deputy attorney general of Punjab province, Naveed Inayat Malik.

The court complied with the request and ordered the government to block the site until the end of May, Malik said.

Lawyers outside the courtroom hailed the ruling, chanting "Down with Facebook."

Later in the day, the telecommunications authority ordered all Internet service providers to block Facebook, it said in a statement.

Facebook said Wednesday it is investigating the block.

"While the content does not violate our terms, we do understand it may not be legal in some countries," the company said in a statement. "In cases like this, the approach is sometimes to restrict certain content from being shown in specific countries."

It remains to be seen how successful the move will be at keeping people in Pakistan from accessing the site. Some countries, such as China, permanently ban Facebook. But citizens often have little trouble working their way around the ban using proxy servers and other means.

Pakistan's minister of religious affairs, Hamid Saeed Kazmi, said the ban was only a temporary solution and suggested the government organize a conference of Muslim countries to figure out ways to prevent the publication of images of the prophet.
Martigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 10:10 AM   #2
FafnerMorell
Warrior 4 the working-day

They'll look foolish once everyone starts uploading their Mohammed cartoons to as-of-yet-unnoticed YouTube.
-- William Shakespeare, Henvy V, Act 4, Scene 3
FafnerMorell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 10:11 AM   #3
Martigan
Supporter

Send a message via AIM to Martigan
Here's something a bit telling:

http://www.zombietime.com/mohammed_i...t/20060204.gif
Martigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 11:13 AM   #4
Caeelar

Send a message via Yahoo to Caeelar
Several dozen male students held a rally nearby, with some holding signs urging Islamic holy war against those who blaspheme the prophet.
This kinda made me laugh. Yes, let's have a war with the United States because they have freedom of speech...
Caeelar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 04:48 PM   #5
SupportTank

I am convinced that this has been thought of and said before.

Considering how long he has been dead. and when he died.

How the hell does anyone know what he looks like? And if you had a accurate image. you can't show it to anyone or even look at it. which leads me back to the first question.

I find it offensive that they name people after him. Isn't that just like a image?

70 Warrior - Affliction

If someone tells you it's OK to lie. How do you know they aren't lying?
SupportTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 08:21 AM   #6
Caeelar

Send a message via Yahoo to Caeelar
LOL you have any idea how many hispanic's are named Jesus? I grew up with three in the small town I lived in. Two of em had dads that workd on my dad's farm, so they ran around with me pretty regular.
Caeelar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 10:11 AM   #7
Aolynd

Originally Posted by Caeelar View Post
LOL you have any idea how many hispanic's are named Jesus? I grew up with three in the small town I lived in. Two of em had dads that workd on my dad's farm, so they ran around with me pretty regular.
Christian Chruches don't kill people for creating images of Jesus. It's actually strongly encouraged.
Aolynd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 11:40 AM   #8
Beal

Originally Posted by Fafner
They'll look foolish once everyone starts uploading their Mohammed cartoons to as-of-yet-unnoticed YouTube.
Next up: You Tube
Beal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 11:49 AM   #9
Aolynd

Originally Posted by Beal View Post
“Such malicious and insulting attacks hurt the sentiments of Muslims around the world and can not be accepted under the garb of freedom of expression,” the spokesman, Abdul Basit, told a weekly briefing.

You hear this kind of thing all the time nowadays and it justifies certain views I have about the intelligence of humanity and how often people think about what they say.

Freedom really does mean "even the stuff you don't want to hear."

In fact, that's pretty much the entire definition of freedom of speech. That's ALL it means. Even heretics on the rack during the Spanish inquisition were allowed to say what their captors wanted to hear. Freedom is when you're allowed to say shit people DON'T want to hear.
Aolynd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 02:18 PM   #10
Hormadrune
Sociopathic bully?

Originally Posted by Aolynd View Post
Christian Chruches don't kill people for creating images of Jesus. It's actually strongly encouraged.
No, they kill people for other reasons.

troll troll troll my boat, gently down the stream...
Old 05-20-2010, 03:25 PM   #11
Lurikeen
Freaky

Originally Posted by Hormadrune View Post

...merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily
Horm's a bigger moron than he seems.

Old 05-20-2010, 03:26 PM   #12
Davek
Squawk Box

Originally Posted by Hormadrune View Post

They have reasons?

/flee

Man that just rolls off the tongue nicely.

Originally Posted by Karthanon View Post
I know, you're in Ottawa, Davek. Still, I can't help but /poke you.
Originally Posted by Drysdale View Post
And you wonder why I don't play nice with you? You leave my man buttons alone.. Those are Davek's.
Davek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 06:34 AM   #13
FafnerMorell
Warrior 4 the working-day

Reading through a few news stories on this, it's amusing to watch Pakistan have to deal with the problem: Block Facebook, ooops, wait, gotta block YouTube. Oh no, Wikipedia is covering the controversy - gotta block that. Ack - now there's CNN, Yahoo, BBC, Drudge, digg, etc to block. Soon you've got almost all of the top 100 Internet sites blocked. And if the folks doing the blocking actually knew anything (as opposed to the "It's a series of tubes"-thinking that just about all politicians have), they'd realize they're facing a hydra - for every head they cut off, more grow in it's place.

China seems to manage this (somewhat) by throwing a massive amount of resource (and threatening all the big companies with a complete loss of a potentially huge market) at controlling Internet access. Ironically, China could probably gain a lot more world control (and some more money) by offering it's services to countries that fear free information to compete with the "westernized" Internet.
-- William Shakespeare, Henvy V, Act 4, Scene 3
FafnerMorell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 11:50 AM   #14
Karthanon

Well, the Everybody Draw Mohammed group was nuked/removed...and then recreated. It did have over 100k people, now it has about 6k, I think. Everything that was posted originally is gone, too.

The "Against Everybody Draw Mohammed Day" group, however, stayed up without issues.

Facebook: Knuckling under to threats, and Happy Please-don't-IPblock-us May 20th Day!
Karthanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 12:14 PM   #15
ShardmoonVer.1

Maybe we can get a mod to add a new section to this board. Erotic Mohamed fiction. Spicey tales of the prophet and the babysitter. Mohamed in college with sorority girls. Achmed spends a summer at uncle Mohameds farm.

This stuff practically writes itself.
Old 05-21-2010, 03:52 PM   #16
Veo

How many people would be okay with a "Make fun of the World Trade Center Attacks" day?
Veo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 04:54 PM   #17
ShardmoonVer.1

I see comedians cracking on it all the time. Whats your point?
Old 05-21-2010, 05:08 PM   #18
SupportTank

Yo veo. its not funny. BUT you have the right to say it.

get it now?

70 Warrior - Affliction

Old 05-21-2010, 05:30 PM   #19
Lurikeen
Freaky

What I think some of you are missing is that Islam is not only a religion but also a political/civil system. The Quran doesn't separate mosque from the state and such a view is actually viewed as being evil. In short, there is no freedom of speech under Sharia. Of course, not all Muslims think this way; some will accept a moderately secular state (e.g. Egypt and Turkey). The point is that ridiculing Muslims for their intolerance towards those "blaspheming" their "prophet" is just like calling Americans the "great Satan" for allowing free speech.
Old 05-24-2010, 11:15 AM   #20
Michael Cumberlan

Luri, the ridiculing goes about because this 15th century religion has not joined the 21st century. Back in the day, if you were Jewish you could be put to death for saying Jehovah (Monty Python, anyone) because in those days the synagogue and state were bound at the hips ... similarly for Christianity, blasphemy often resulted in torture and death, and the Church and state were often the same thing (anyone watching the Tudors on cable, perchance?) The difference is that these western religions have changed (might some say even matured) over the years to a more (although not necessarily adequate) tolerance of differing points of view ... and pretty much death is off the table nowadays as regards these religions.
Michael Cumberlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 12:41 PM   #21
Lurikeen
Freaky

And if you aren't a Muslim, then they ridicule you for being an infidel. I suppose the ridicule from both ends cancels each other out.
Old 05-24-2010, 02:06 PM   #22
Michael Cumberlan

Not sure what you are trying to say here ...

All of the western religions in their holy books seem to have very harsh punishments for transgressions. As we have become more "civilized" or maybe we just value life more that our ancestors did, our religions modified their positions. Islam has not ... and I am not ridiculing Islam, I am ridiculing the leadership of the religion which refuses to acknowledge that the world HAS in fact CHANGED from the days where slavery was appropriate, women are property, and everyone who is NOT in total agreement with your beliefs must DIE. By fiat, I also question the followers of said leaders who espouse these beliefs, and support their leaders with money and power.

Note that some "branches", sects, or whatever you want to call them are in fact slowly joining the other religions, but in reality it is a slow process, with many stumbles along the way, partly because any significant change starts to leech power away from the few and give it to more and more of the flock; never a good idea for someone in power.
Old 05-24-2010, 06:17 PM   #23
SupportTank

Mich. the problem is this. The REST of the world hasnt changed. First world nations Have changed. Its a big bad world out there outside the first world. People really do Not understand how unique we are.

So unfortunately. power even first world nations power. Still comes from the barrel of a gun. sad but true. 95% of humanity Knows in their darkest hearts that might makes right.

And you have to use a Big stick to prove them wrong. get it? in doing so you prove them right.

Just look at Thailand last week. 100k people buggered off the second the real guns came out. and shut the hell up too. I am not making a case of right or wrong on that, I seriously dont get thailand. But human actions there didnt change from baseline reactions.

Religions that are successful also know might makes right. Look to the crusades. and all the history that goes with them. very sad times those. But it put the chirstians and roman catholics on top for the last 900 years.

70 Warrior - Affliction

Old 05-24-2010, 08:31 PM   #24
Lurikeen
Freaky

Michael,

Actually, I am not sure what your point is other than to slam Islam (and maybe other religions, too) as archaic. My point is that followers of Islam certainly don't see themselves as being backwards and certainly ridiculing Muslims for getting upset that their "prophet" has been blasphemed doesn't demonstrate an any more evolved mind than theirs.

I am also not so sure that I would sing the praises of "progress" as you are doing. We have enough war and overall screwing each other over in the world to bear out that we are not much different than some Muslims when it comes to hating, intolerance, and killing. I suppose we can feel good that we aren't killing people for blasphemy, but we still belong to countries building better and smarter means at killing our enemies, even if it isn't in the name of a formal religion.
Old 05-25-2010, 11:55 AM   #25
Michael Cumberlan

Luri ... THAT was my point ... most major Western religions no longer advocate killing people that do not align with their beliefs. I DO consider that progress. Once again, it is not the RELIGION, but the PEOPLE interpreting/leading their followers who advocate for killing that open themselves up for attack.

Support - I don't disagree that the world is a messed up place. Traditionally, though, religious leaders are among the MOST educated of their flock. The HOPE is that these people align to the higher calling of the religion, and start to eschew the trappings of earthly powers ... ... Of course, that is a pretty ridiculous statement when viewed practically.

A lot of science fiction revolves around religious fanaticism, and the loss of individualism for the sake of either a dictatorial figure or class warfare. I guess the REAL question becomes, is the individual and their rights and beliefs to be considered are primary, or are religions / goverments at the top?