Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > NON EQ Stuff (Real life, other games, etc.) > Steam Vent

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2011, 04:05 AM   #1
Pafuna
Brilliant Curmudgeon

Default Moving and OMFG wut am i doin?

I recently landed a new job that requires me to be in northern Virginia, so we'll be moving next month (company-paid, of course, I couldn't afford that on my own). Buying a house up in VA as well, since rents are so expensive, it is actually cheaper to finance a mortgage.

Oh, and since the market has made me underwater, I'm becoming an accidental landlord and renting out my old house. Yay, tenants!

All I can say is, Holy Fuckballs... I'm excited, terrified, and awe-struck all at once. There is so much risk in this equation, I'm having occasional nightmares. On the other hand, the pay-off for the risk is also very huge, and it's an ideal long-term stability situation - lots of opportunities in my career field. Plus, it's a really, really nice area.

If any Virginians (or VA ex-pats) have any good tips, or just general information, do kindly share.

tl;dr First-world problems, omfg.
Damn, is Pafuna allowed to win the intrawebs twice, or is it a lifetime achievement thing?
Pafuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 04:22 AM   #2
FafnerMorell
Warrior 4 the working-day

Good luck on the move & renting/buying stuff!
-- William Shakespeare, Henvy V, Act 4, Scene 3
FafnerMorell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 06:51 AM   #3
SupportTank

I have pass through North Virginia.... thought it was pretty.

was that any help ?

70 Warrior - Affliction

If someone tells you it's OK to lie. How do you know they aren't lying?
SupportTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 07:03 AM   #4
Wildane
Psychopath w/a conscience

Originally Posted by Pafuna View Post
Reminds me of the line from Louis CK's "Hilarious" special: "People in other countries have real problems, like, 'Oh shit, they're cutting off all our heads today!'"

"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear." - Thomas Jefferson
Wildane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 07:33 AM   #5
Beal

You already know this, but discipline yourself. Don't be in a hurry. As a buyer, this is your market and chances are still good that the house you are looking at will be priced lower next month.
Beal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 09:13 AM   #6
Martigan
Supporter

Send a message via AIM to Martigan
I had to move to NY recently. We owned a home in California that was underwater. I was in the middle of refinancing for a lower rate when I joined the Army, and the bank discontinued the processing of the loan. They stopped it because I changed jobs in the middle of it. It was our intent to rent out the house. Instead, we ended up having to do a short sale. We owed 260K, and the property just sold for 130K. So, Bank of America... you fucktards... because you stopped my loan process, you lost out BIG FUCKING TIME on my home loan.
Martigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 09:41 AM   #7
SupportTank

the local investing companies up here are trying to convince us that buying american property is a good idea.

I think they are wrong => Its only a good idea if your country shows that its done being stupid about money. Then its a good investment. my opinion is the values on those properties is going to continue to fall.

70 Warrior - Affliction

If someone tells you it's OK to lie. How do you know they aren't lying?
SupportTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 04:21 AM   #8
Drysdale
RSS Feed

Originally Posted by Pafuna View Post
I recently landed a new job that requires me to be in northern Virginia, so we'll be moving next month (company-paid, of course, I couldn't afford that on my own). Buying a house up in VA as well, since rents are so expensive, it is actually cheaper to finance a mortgage.

Oh, and since the market has made me underwater, I'm becoming an accidental landlord and renting out my old house. Yay, tenants!

All I can say is, Holy Fuckballs... I'm excited, terrified, and awe-struck all at once. There is so much risk in this equation, I'm having occasional nightmares. On the other hand, the pay-off for the risk is also very huge, and it's an ideal long-term stability situation - lots of opportunities in my career field. Plus, it's a really, really nice area.

If any Virginians (or VA ex-pats) have any good tips, or just general information, do kindly share.

I know of a nice house for sale near Monticello...

Awesome man! Enjoy this! It should be an adventure!
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."
-Robert A. Heinlein

"Thou shalt not steal. Except by majority vote." - Gary North
Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 04:22 AM   #9
Drysdale
RSS Feed

Originally Posted by Beal View Post
You already know this, but discipline yourself. Don't be in a hurry. As a buyer, this is your market and chances are still good that the house you are looking at will be priced lower next month.
This. A Thousand times, this! It's def a buyer's market. Don't be afraid to walk away from something that isn't perfect.
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."
-Robert A. Heinlein

"Thou shalt not steal. Except by majority vote." - Gary North
Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote