Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > NON EQ Stuff (Real life, other games, etc.) > Steam Vent

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2010, 09:59 AM   #1
ShardmoonVer.1

Default Begun, the tourist wars have

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010...est=latestnews

San Diego Faces Own Medicine as Arizona Residents Cancel Travel Following Boycott of State

Arizona tourists are biting back against San Diego for its city council's decision to boycott the Grand Canyon State over its immigration law signed by Gov. Jan Brewer last month.

Would-be tourists have notified the San Diego Convention and Visitors Bureau and some hotels that they are canceling their scheduled travel to the coastal vacation destination, according to the San Diego Union-Tribune.

According to the newspaper, the convention bureau has received about 25-30 emails from Arizona residents, with some saying they are canceling their reservations and taking their money elsewhere.

That has tourism officials urging Arizonans to consider the resolutions as merely symbolic and local politics at work.

"We're in a very tough environment already because of everything else going on, and we don't need another negative impact to our industry," ConVis President Joe Terzi told the Union-Tribune. "This affects all the hardworking men and women who count on tourism for their livelihoods, so we’re saying, don't do something that hurts their livelihoods."

"I've been approached by a number of hotels who are very concerned because they’ve received cancelations from Arizona guests," Namara Mercer, executive director of the county Hotel-Motel Association, told the newspaper.

Roughly 2 million Arizonans visit San Diego each year but the recession has taken a toll on the hotel industry that was hoping for a comeback this year. Hotels are offering deep discounts to fill up their undersold rooms while the tourism board spends $7 million this spring and summer season to promote travel to the area.

Several councils in large cities like Los Angeles, Austin, Boston and San Francisco have approved boycotts on employee travel or future contracts with Arizona businesses as a result of the law that goes into effect on July 1. The state tourism bureau has said the losses so far have reached nearly $10 million as a result of 23 canceled meetings.

But others are cautious, noting unintended consequences. Milwaukee’s city council delayed a vote on a boycott and Milwaukee Mayor Tom Barrett said he opposes such action.

On Saturday, former Republican vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin appeared with Brewer in Phoenix to criticize President Obama for not passing an immigration law and putting Arizona in the situation where it had to act on its own.

“It’s time for Americans across this great country to stand up and say ‘we’re all Arizonans now, and in clear unity, we say, Mr. President, do your job, secure our borders,’” Palin said.

Palin also has denounced a decision by Highland Park, Ill., officials who canceled the high school girls’ basketball team’s travel to the state in December. Both Highland Park Assistant Superintendent Suzan Hebson and the Austin City Council suggested that their decisions were less based on politics than concern their players and employees could be in harm’s way if they want to Arizona. Hebson, however, told the Chicago Tribune that she did not know if any student players were themselves illegal immigrants.

Palin, a former basketball player, said she would raise money or find other ways to get the players to the tournament.

Meanwhile, in San Diego, school board President Shelia Jackson said she is sorry people don’t want to come to her city, but she still supports her vote to boycott Arizona.

“It’s sad that people would cancel their plans to come here in reaction to that, but I still think we did the right thing,” Jackson told the Union-Tribune. “Certainly, we know how important tourism is to San Diego, and it wasn’t my intent to impact the tourism trade.”
Old 05-17-2010, 10:15 AM   #2
Lurikeen
Freaky

That has tourism officials urging Arizonans to consider the resolutions as merely symbolic and local politics at work.
That is just too funny! "What we did is merely symbolic. Please bring your money back to San Diego!" What a bunch of morons.
Old 05-17-2010, 02:13 PM   #3
Wildane
Psychopath w/a conscience

Good for the Arizonans!

"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear." - Thomas Jefferson
Wildane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 06:32 PM   #4
Aolynd

More Arizona telling California "Go for it, idiots." This time it's LA
http://hotair.com/archives/2010/05/1...t-over-sb1070/

AZ utility board member responds to LA boycott over SB1070
Share1909
posted at 2:55 pm on May 18, 2010 by Ed Morrissey
printer-friendly

The Los Angeles City Council voted to boycott the state of Arizona over its new immigration-enforcement law, and now the Arizona Corporation Commission has responded. Gary Pierce, one of the commissioners chosen in state-wide elections to the utility regulation panel, notes that Los Angeles gets about 25% of its power from Arizona producers. If the City of Angels really wants a boycott, Pierce offers his services to help, as he explains in a letter to Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa and copied to Hot Air:

"Dear Mayor Villaraigosa,

I was dismayed to learn that the Los Angeles City Council voted to boycott Arizona and Arizona-based companies — a vote you strongly supported — to show opposition to SB 1070 (Support our Law Enforcement and Safe Neighborhoods Act).

You explained your support of the boycott as follows: “While we recognize that as neighbors, we share resources and ties with the State of Arizona that may be difficult to sever, our goal is not to hurt the local economy of Los Angeles, but to impact the economy of Arizona. Our intent is to use our dollars — or the withholding of our dollars — to send a message.” (emphasis added)

I received your message; please receive mine. As a state-wide elected member of the Arizona Corporation Commission overseeing Arizona’s electric and water utilities, I too am keenly aware of the “resources and ties” we share with the City of Los Angeles. In fact, approximately twenty-five percent of the electricity consumed in Los Angeles is generated by power plants in Arizona.

If an economic boycott is truly what you desire, I will be happy to encourage Arizona utilities to renegotiate your power agreements so Los Angeles no longer receives any power from Arizona-based generation. I am confident that Arizona’s utilities would be happy to take those electrons off your hands. If, however, you find that the City Council lacks the strength of its convictions to turn off the lights in Los Angeles and boycott Arizona power, please reconsider the wisdom of attempting to harm Arizona’s economy.

People of goodwill can disagree over the merits of SB 1070. A state-wide economic boycott of Arizona is not a message sent in goodwill.

Sincerely,

Commissioner Gary Pierce"

A scan of the letter can be downloaded here. I wonder what Commissioner Pierce has to say about Councilman Ed Reyes’ lack of understanding of California’s own penal code? Maybe the AZCC could buy a copy for Reyes, although it might be difficult to read during the blackout in Los Angeles.
Aolynd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 06:35 PM   #5
FafnerMorell
Warrior 4 the working-day

There's talk of Frito Lay getting dragged into the boycott (Fiesta Bowl or whatever) by various Latino groups. But I suspect if Frito Lay does give in, they'll face a boycott from those supporting AZ.

And so it goes.
-- William Shakespeare, Henvy V, Act 4, Scene 3
FafnerMorell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 06:45 PM   #6
Aolynd

Originally Posted by FafnerMorell View Post
There's talk of Frito Lay getting dragged into the boycott (Fiesta Bowl or whatever) by various Latino groups. But I suspect if Frito Lay does give in, they'll face a boycott from those supporting AZ.

And so it goes.
I'll keep saying it over and over until people stop being such morons.

Latino groups are hit the hardest, by far, by illegal immigration. Every issue they represent. Every. Single. One. (with one exception: the racist stance of "support everyone who looks like us, oppose those who don't") is consistently and systematically raped by increases in illegal immigration.

On the other hand, it's not like I ever had any respect at all for racist organizations to begin with so, in terms of how I feel about their level of intelligence, it's not like the leaders of these groups have lost much.
Old 05-19-2010, 03:54 AM   #7
Wildane

Gary Pierce is my new hero.

"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear." - Thomas Jefferson
Old 05-19-2010, 05:09 AM   #8
Drysdale
RSS Feed

Originally Posted by Aolynd View Post
I'll keep saying it over and over until people stop being such morons.

Latino groups are hit the hardest, by far, by illegal immigration. Every issue they represent. Every. Single. One. (with one exception: the racist stance of "support everyone who looks like us, oppose those who don't") is consistently and systematically raped by increases in illegal immigration.

On the other hand, it's not like I ever had any respect at all for racist organizations to begin with so, in terms of how I feel about their level of intelligence, it's not like the leaders of these groups have lost much.
More Latinos equate to more financial power. And if Obama gets his way, more voting power.
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."
-Robert A. Heinlein

"Thou shalt not steal. Except by majority vote." - Gary North
Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 05:14 AM   #9
Aolynd

Originally Posted by Drysdale View Post
More Latinos equate to more financial power. And if Obama gets his way, more voting power.
Ha. They think being a majority will equal more special treatment and programs.

I've got some bad news.
Old 05-19-2010, 09:48 AM   #10
Wildane

Originally Posted by Aolynd View Post
Ha. They think being a majority will equal more special treatment and programs.

I've got some bad news.
Yeah, that's a bit backwards.

Old 05-19-2010, 12:48 PM   #11
Aolynd

Ran across this today...I chuckled.

The following is an excerpt from California Penal code 834b
(a) Every law enforcement agency in California shall fully
cooperate with the United States Immigration and Naturalization
Service regarding any person who is arrested if he or she is
suspected of being present in the United States in violation of
federal immigration laws.
(b) With respect to any such person who is arrested, and suspected
of being present in the United States in violation of federal
immigration laws, every law enforcement agency shall do the
following:
(1) Attempt to verify the legal status of such person as a citizen
of the United States, an alien lawfully admitted as a permanent
resident, an alien lawfully admitted for a temporary period of time
or as an alien who is present in the United States in violation of
immigration laws. The verification process may include, but shall not
be limited to, questioning the person regarding his or her date and
place of birth, and entry into the United States, and demanding
documentation to indicate his or her legal status.
(2) Notify the person of his or her apparent status as an alien
who is present in the United States in violation of federal
immigration laws and inform him or her that, apart from any criminal
justice proceedings, he or she must either obtain legal status or
leave the United States.
(3) Notify the Attorney General of California and the United
States Immigration and Naturalization Service of the apparent illegal
status and provide any additional information that may be requested
by any other public entity.
(c) Any legislative, administrative, or other action by a city,
county, or other legally authorized local governmental entity with
jurisdictional boundaries, or by a law enforcement agency, to prevent
or limit the cooperation required by subdivision (a) is expressly
prohibited.
Old 05-19-2010, 01:34 PM   #12
Lurikeen
Freaky

"...he or she must either obtain legal status or
leave the United States.
They came into the country illegally. What makes anyone seriously think they will leave under their own volition?

Thumbs up to Gary Pierce.
Old 05-22-2010, 09:20 PM   #13
Heretic

OMFG, Gary Pierce for president. The electrons statement is one of the best 'burns' ever.
"i always refer to myself as a "missionary agnostic." that is, not only do i not know shit about shit, but i'm going to try and convince you that you don't know shit about shit either and there's no way for you to know shit about shit."

Heretic
Heretic is offline   Reply With Quote