Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > NON EQ Stuff (Real life, other games, etc.) > Steam Vent

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2004, 07:34 PM   #1
chukzombi
The Undead Shaman

Default Draft survey: 4,450 priests accused of sex abuse

http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/02/16/chu...use/index.html
Draft survey: 4,450 priests accused of sex abuse

NEW YORK (CNN) -- Children accused more than 4,000 priests of sexual abuse between 1950 and 2002, according to a draft survey commissioned by the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops.

The survey, to be released February 27, found that children made more than 11,000 allegations of sexual abuse by priests. The 4,450 accused priests represent about 4 percent of the 110,000 priests who served during the 52 years covered by the study.

The report is based on a nationwide survey of church records, and was compiled by the John Jay College of Criminal Justice for the conference. The bishops' conference commissioned the survey to get a better understanding of the scope of the crisis.

CNN reviewed a draft copy of the survey. Officials said it may be slightly changed before its release.

More than half of the accused priests had only one allegation against them. Nearly 25 percent, or 1,112 priests, had two or three allegations, and almost 13 percent, or 578 priests, had four to nine allegations, according to the draft report. Nearly 3 percent, or 133 of the priests, had 10 or more allegations.

The report said that 6,700 of the 11,000 allegations were investigated and substantiated, and another 1,000 were unsubstantiated. The remaining 3,300 were not investigated because the priests involved had died by the time the allegation was made.

The director of the Survivors Network of Those Abused by Priests said Monday that the survey's numbers are low.

"Bishops have tried to hide this for years, so there is no reason to believe all of a sudden they would change their ways," David Clohessy said. "The only prudent thing to do is to assume this is not the entire truth. This is a survey, not a report or investigation."

SNAP, founded in 1989, describes itself on its Web site as the nation's largest, oldest and most active support group for people victimized by religious authority figures.

The president of the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops issued a written statement calling the reports "a very sobering and important milestone."

"I have not seen the reports, and so I cannot comment on their substance," the statement from Bishop Wilton D. Gregory said. "But I want to reaffirm that the bishops requested these studies so that we could understand as fully as possible what caused this terrible occurrence in the life of our community to make sure that it never happens again.

"My heart goes out to all who have suffered, and I assure them especially that the bishops are committed to fully implementing the Dallas Charter and will continue to work with the Office of Child and Youth Protection and the National Review Board to reach out to victims and prevent such abuse from occurring in the future," Gregory's statement said.

The Dallas Charter is a plan developed by the council in 2002 to protect children from sex abuse by priests.

Bill Burleigh, a member of the conference's National Review Board, said he would not comment until the survey is released. No clergy serve on the review board.

According to the survey, 78 percent of those abused were between 11 and 17, 16 percent were 8 to 10, and nearly 6 percent were 7 or younger.

The survey also said that several factors contributed to the problem, including failure to grasp its gravity, overemphasis on the avoidance of scandal, use of unqualified treatment centers, misguided willingness to forgive and insufficient accountability.

More than 44,000 priests serve in the United States, according to the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops.
That is a scarey number, i was a catholic school altar boy and i turned out ok!
Old 02-16-2004, 08:16 PM   #2
Lurikeen
Freaky

The Catholic church needs to seriously consider allowing priests to marry.
Old 02-16-2004, 08:30 PM   #3
ShardmoonVer.1

Allowing Catholic priest to marry wouldnt really resolve the issue. A pedophile is a pedophile is a pedophile. Having some one nag him every night when he comes home isnt going to cure that.

Theres a reason there are so many reports of abuse by the clergy. A lot of people go into the field because of the access it allows them to victims. Its a pretty common habit of these scumbags. They dont just wake up one more with a stiffy and say "Man, I would if Billy would kiss my wiener if I promised him eternal life".

Kiebler
ShardmoonVer.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 07:33 AM   #4
Flub Man
Here's to you liberals!!!

Originally Posted by Lurikeen
The Catholic church needs to seriously consider allowing priests to marry.
Why? The 4,450 accused priests represent about 4 percent of the 110,000 priests who served during the 52 years covered by the study. The 96% of those who served in the priesthood were able to live without being married.

"Starkville is the Indian word for Trailer Park."
~ Skip Bertman

'I was just wrong. Flub you are correct.'
~bumble
Flub Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 07:35 AM   #5
Ulujain

Originally Posted by Flub Man
Why? The 4,450 accused priests represent about 4 percent of the 110,000 priests who served during the 52 years covered by the study. The 96% of those who served in the priesthood were able to live without being married.
Fornication > priesthood.
Old 02-17-2004, 08:09 AM   #6
Flub Man
Here's to you liberals!!!

Originally Posted by Ulujain
Fornication > priesthood.
Rational Thought > Ulujain

"Starkville is the Indian word for Trailer Park."
~ Skip Bertman

'I was just wrong. Flub you are correct.'
~bumble
Flub Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 05:59 PM   #7
Ulujain

Originally Posted by Flub Man
Rational Thought > Ulujain
People were "fornicating" long before religion turned it into a "sin" Flub Man, you do know that right? No sex before marriage has its origins in keeping communities and races as a whole "pure", and has zero to do with morals.

The stance that the Catholic Church has on the marriage of their priests has next to no Biblical basis, like a lot of their beliefs (apostolic succession, transubstantiation, purgatory, etc.)

The Catholic Church is caught in such a timewarp it isn't funny. They're embalmed by their own dogma.
Old 02-18-2004, 05:40 AM   #8
VenomsLust

Send a message via Yahoo to VenomsLust
Ya know, to date, my favorite quote was from Robin Williams, immitating a child;
'Don't touch me there, you're not a priest.'

So, 4% of the priests were accused of sexually abusing children. How many children never spoke up?

I forget the exact numbers, but a large percentage of women have never said anything about having been raped, when indeed they have been. Why? Maybe some were too embarrassed that it happened to them. Who knows? I'm sure there's lots of different reason why people don't speak up about having been wronged in one way or another.

Ok, so 4% were accused of sexual abuse. I'm going to shoot off a guess that another 5% were never talked about. Then, on a rough estimate, I'd say 99% of the remaining priests have commited sexual acts that would be viewed as "unbecoming" to the church, but would be considered perfectly legal in the eyes of the law.

As for the marriage thing. I think you're heading down the right trail with that. But I think the Christ-based religions need to lighten up on their views on sex. They make it out to be so evil. Not to mention the sexual tension that builds up from all that sexual repression, sheesh.

Now, I wouldn't let these guilty priests (or anyone else) off with such an easy cop-out as "sexual tension". If it were just sexual tension, go get a hooker. There was definitely something wrong with them if they chose the children to take that out on. But, would allowing priests to marry, or even to go for "a night on the town" work to help as a preventative mesure? Maybe. Sounds feasible to me. Not to mention logical. Of course it wouldn't stop all the freaks from trying to "spread thier love"... (ok, bad terminology). But it may decrease those numbers a bit.

Just a thought.
Old 02-18-2004, 05:55 AM   #9
Medjai

Remember we are talking 4k over like 50 years so compaired to the national average of molesters per capita, is this really that bad? I have no idea. Does it make a good headline yes.

Now as for priest the molest children there is no excuse but if your belief system forbids sex your asking for trouble. Especially in males, I cant speak for women but from the male perspective I think about sex about every 10 seconds and if I was not having sex would probably explode. Now if my beliefs denied this would I have sex the nearest victim? Bastards, they are creating the conditions.
Medjai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 07:11 AM   #10
Trith
The lesser of two weevils

Send a message via MSN to Trith
I would hazard a guess that 90% of the children molested were boys. This is not an issue of marriage..this is an issue of needing to keep homosexuals/pedophiles out of the priesthood.
Trith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 08:22 AM   #11
Rheaton

When lust and desires, physical gratification, is stronger then love for others... this junk happens.
Rheaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 07:36 AM   #12
bumbleroot

Flub, I think your numbers are skewed. Is that 110k American priests? There is a higher amount of priests worldwide and this was a study by the American Council of Bishops.
What we don't know is if this problem is amongst American priests or is a worldwide problem.
Some statistics...
http://www.yesican.org/statisticsCA.html
According to this and applying some simple math to these problems there are about 512,820 sexual abusers of children in the US. That is .2% of the population. However, there have been 60 million children abused. That does show there is a problem. However, there is also a problem amongst other churches as well, but you don't see that because the way the church's hierarchy is run. In other words, abuse by a Baptist minister doesn't go as noticed in a relationship to other Baptist churches because there is more autonomy in that particular church. I am in no way saying the incidence level is 4%, I don't have any proof of that percentage.

I think people are looking at this sexual abuse as having a sexual dimension only. I believe it is more than that. I believe that it is a control thing as much or even more than just a sexual thing. (Think Jim Jones and David Koresh) Given the direction the Catholic church has gone in allowing priests to become more involved with their parishes over the last century, this is partly a result of that. In other words, the lax control of priests has contributed to this problem, as well as diminishing standards of accepting priests in America. Because of American culture, there are less men going into the priesthood. As this has happened, the church is screening their applicants less harshly. This I believe is the problem the church has. This is also why I believe that it hasn't occurred as much in other churches or at least to the manner that we have heard about it.
bumbleroot is offline   Reply With Quote