Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > NON EQ Stuff (Real life, other games, etc.) > Steam Vent

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2004, 08:57 AM   #51
chukzombi
The Undead Shaman

And you sound like a crass old man who's too scared to try and change things. No, it's not your job to tell someone how to live their life, Chuk, don't you worry about it. As long as it doesn't affect you directly, everything else can go to Hell, right? Someone could just be ignorant of the ill effects that drinking and smoking have on unborn babies, and you'd actually be doing them a favor, but you might as well keep that knowledge to yourself. You wouldn't want a total stranger to think ill of you!
Not scared of change, in fact i feel badly there isnt enough change becuase ill never live to see man reach the stars or cure all illnesses with 1 pill. So gimme as much change as possible. I dont wish for people to harm themselves but when i see someone fucking themselves up i dont go trying to stop them if they are old enough to know better. Unlike you i respect other adults and expect for them to be smart enough to know that if they commit unhealthy acts they are well aware of the detriment to their destiny.

Jumping in front of a speeding truck is not illegal either, but I know I would stop someone who was about to try and do it.
Attempting suicide is illegal for one, accidently ending up in front of a speeding vehicle is not a calculated act, if it is then that is attempted suicide which i mentioned is illegal. One time in NYC my ex and i were walking down Bleeker street and she starts crossing the street against the light, of course a taxi is flying down the street at about a million miles an hour in her direction. At that point i got super human strenth and zipped over to her and hooked her in my arm and pulled her dumb ass back just in the nick of time, the taxi ended up only skimming her boot. Yes i care about people in harms way, no i dont feel badly if someone consciously decided to screw themselves up.
Old 02-20-2004, 09:51 AM   #52
Wildane
Psychopath w/a conscience

Unlike you i respect other adults and expect for them to be smart enough to know that if they commit unhealthy acts they are well aware of the detriment to their destiny.
How does attempting to enlighten someone show disrespect? And expecting people to be "smart enough" or "old enough to know better" is highly idealistic. Have you met humanity? Such a large portion of it lacks basic common sense. Never overestimate someone's knowledge.
Yes i care about people in harms way, no i dont feel badly if someone consciously decided to screw themselves up.
And there's the problem. Believe it or not, not all women know they are screwing themselves or their babies up. What may seem common knowledge to you, isn't for everybody.

"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear." - Thomas Jefferson
Wildane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 10:03 AM   #53
chukzombi
The Undead Shaman

And there's the problem. Believe it or not, not all women know they are screwing themselves or their babies up. What may seem common knowledge to you, isn't for everybody.
And your point being? Its not my responsibility to get up on a soapbox and enlighten all the dipshits of the world on why they are dipshits. As i said you sound young in the way of the world. Seriously you try to tell people how to live their life even in a personal way and youll either end up with a drink in your face or a punch in the mouth. mind your own business, youll have more teeth that way
chukzombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 01:25 PM   #54
Giddlefrizz

Default geez people

Ok, the original post was not aimed at women's rights. Crapola, what is it with you people. You get all fired up, and unload on one another. Its actually very worrisome to me. To take something as simple and plain as an observation of behavior and turn it into an issue of rights.

He originally posted something he saw at a party that was disturbing to him. He did research on it and posted that. He was not saying they should take away a pregnant woman's right to smoke and drink. He was saying that the woman was not showing proper concern for her unborn child by performing these actions.

Is it her right to smoke? Yes. Is it her right to drink? Yes. Is smoking harmful to unborn children? Yes. Is drinking harmful to unborn children? Yes. They are her choices to make. All be it stupid ones, still hers to make.
Giddlefrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 06:58 AM   #55
Ghie
G-Sharp

Location: Bounce around the country but have a tether in Nebraska
The minute she decided not to abort the baby, she was morally obligated to take care of it, at her own expense emotionally and physically.

Should there be laws against it?

I don't think the government can or should legislate this issue.

I would think that a creative prosecutor could cite damage done after birth (deteriorating conditions) as being the emminent result of the mother's actions. But the most they will get out of this is something along the lines of neglect or depraved indifference.

On the other hand, as human beings, it is our moral and social obligation to not help expecting mother's poison their unborn children.

Fetal Alcohol syndrome to some degree is the more likely outcome if the mother has more than 3 drinks a week. That means a baby is more likely to have FAS than be born healthy under those conditions.

One night of 3-4 drinks during the pregnancy is a low risk for causing problems. But it is still a risk.

Maintaining a smoking habit during pregnancy will guarantee a lower birthweight and slower development.

There is a point during the pregnancy in some states that the fetus becomes a protected citizen. Usually when a normally developing child would be capable of surviving if extracted from the womb. At that point forward, the goverment should prosecute parents who continue habits which are harmful to the children's health.
Ghie is offline   Reply With Quote