Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > EverQuest > Scammer Alert

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2000, 06:46 AM   #1
RainyPM

Default How to work together to nail scammers

Someone on our server is creating new characters, naming them similar to names of people we know and
trust, and then playing on that trust to take advantage of us. Valtron is gone right now, but if we work together we can at least get our guide staff the information they need to put a stop to this a$$hole as soon as possible.

The BEST thing I've been told to do if you're certain that someone is definitely trying to scam you is to

1 - play along with scammer for a minute and type /who all GM

2 - send a tell to a level 50+ GM. Tell them a scammer is connected at that very moment and trying to cheat you. Tell the guide that you'll open a petition, but that you want them to get the scammer's account info for their records before he disconnects.

3 - type /report "scammer name" every few lines that the scammer says, and it will flag all that text for the GM to read.

4 - type /petition "Scammer name" is trying to scam me. "Guide name" should have his account info, and I /report'd everything the scammer said to me. Thank you for your time. (or something like that, hehe)

They probably won't be able to get him right then, but at least we'll have helped our guide staff get all the information we can to set this jerk up and nail him.

I will NEVER use a twink to ask any of you to transfer items for me. Please don't trust ones that do.

Larainy, Order of Reverence
Old 12-05-2000, 07:38 AM   #2
Grammaw

Good ideas here. Recently one of my guildies was scammed this same way. Lets nail the SoB.
Old 12-05-2000, 01:23 PM   #3
xanarus

hmmm...i applied for guidship if i get accepted we might be able to nail these guys but i bet we would need a shit load of evidence.
Old 12-05-2000, 02:34 PM   #4
Aaed

Just a few points:

1. You can only have one /report each time you zone. Unless this has changed recently.

2. Xanarus - if you do get accepted to the guide program, you won't be on E.Marr.

Great suggestions though.
Old 12-05-2000, 02:35 PM   #5
Dwarkarn

Default -

Not sure if your aware Xanarus but you cant guide on the server you play on. There are ways around it like having two accounts, but if you only have one account they always assign you to a server you dont play on.
Old 12-17-2000, 04:45 AM   #6
xanarus

hehe, oh well

Old 01-29-2001, 01:19 PM   #7
Ogmuk

*bump*
good post, needs to be on top
Old 02-05-2001, 11:24 PM   #8
MaStorm

*bump*
still a good post with some very good tips and lessons for those of us that just recently found this particular board
Old 02-15-2001, 12:30 AM   #9
lexacid

There's these two people in the commons.

One is always hiding and sneaking around.
He walks in the middle of two players and gets in the way of the trade screen.

the other is always asking to see people's equipment.

The one usauly talks with people welding a WS.

I'm using one.

He asks to see my TW and Mith Arms, then my Helm.
Then while in the trade screen they ask for my WS...

If you have to many bags, and the WS was the last item you put in the trade screen, it will fall to the ground, WS won't fit in a large bag.