Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > NON EQ Stuff (Real life, other games, etc.) > Steam Vent

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2010, 01:32 PM   #1
Wildane
Psychopath w/a conscience

Default Woohoo! We're not last in something!

Being from MS, we have to take whatever victories we can get.

Brandon native bags 'The Biggest Loser' grand prize
Mississippi native Patrick House is The Biggest Loser.

The Delta State University business graduate and Brandon native won the NBC reality weight loss competition Tuesday night and the $250,000 grand prize.
In the final moments of the show, House's weigh-in revealed he has lost 181 pounds, or 45.3 percent of his original weight of 400.
He beat finalist Frado Dinten, 43, of New York, who lost 162 pounds, or a 44.1 percent total weight loss, and Ada Wong, 27, of San Francisco who lost 99 pounds, or a 38.37 percent total weight loss.
"Winning this for me gets me back freedom," he said
Near the end of the story, they announced that there is also a prize for the biggest loser among those voted off the show (I've never seen the show, so I didn't know). Well, the guy that won that also started at 400 pounds and lost 213. That is amazing to me.

Personally, I don't care for "reality" shows, but it still amazes me when someone can look past this accomplishment and blast the guy for being on one (as one or two of the comments show). I just don't understand how you can look at a guy who lost 181 pounds, earned $250,000 and helped set up a non-profit foundation for helping kids with obesity, set all that aside and rant and rave about this being reported in the local paper. Yes, there are bigger issues out there, but the news is depressing enough. People like Patrick House motivate others to make positive changes in their lives; sounds newsworthy to me.

"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear." - Thomas Jefferson
Wildane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 01:34 PM   #2
Wildane

Actually, that subject line is a bit misleading. We're number one in a few areas, just none of them good: obesity, illiteracy, teenage pregnancy.

"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear." - Thomas Jefferson
Old 12-15-2010, 06:11 PM   #3
Davek
Squawk Box

Originally Posted by Wildane View Post
set all that aside and rant and rave about this being reported in the local paper. Yes, there are bigger issues out there, but the news is depressing enough.
I find people who throw out the "why is x being reported when y is a much bigger issue" line are morons. There are plenty of things to be reported...so it's not something in your priority...move on.

It's the same issue when people bitch about cops doing a minor bust (say for speeding) and commenting about how they should be out stopping a murder. Everything needs to be looked after, not just what you deem important.

Man that just rolls off the tongue nicely.

Originally Posted by Karthanon View Post
I know, you're in Ottawa, Davek. Still, I can't help but /poke you.
Originally Posted by Drysdale View Post
And you wonder why I don't play nice with you? You leave my man buttons alone.. Those are Davek's.
Davek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 09:29 AM   #4
Wildane

Originally Posted by Davek View Post
I find people who throw out the "why is x being reported when y is a much bigger issue" line are morons. There are plenty of things to be reported...so it's not something in your priority...move on.

It's the same issue when people bitch about cops doing a minor bust (say for speeding) and commenting about how they should be out stopping a murder. Everything needs to be looked after, not just what you deem important.
Not even that, but millions of people watch this show, probably. That right there should tell you that a lot of people would appreciate a story about a local guy who won that show. If you want a newspaper that only prints what YOU deem important, start your own newspaper.