Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > NON EQ Stuff (Real life, other games, etc.) > Steam Vent

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2011, 05:55 PM   #1
Martigan
Supporter

Send a message via AIM to Martigan
Default Because we have money to spare...

http://news.yahoo.com/us-foreign-aid...164944423.html

US to use foreign aid to promote gay rights

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Obama administration is announcing a wide-ranging effort to use U.S. foreign aid to promote rights for gays and lesbians abroad, including combating attempts by foreign governments to criminalize homosexuality.

In a memorandum issued Tuesday, President Barack Obama directed U.S. agencies working abroad, including the State Department and the U.S. Agency for International Development, to use foreign aid to assist gays and lesbians who are facing human rights violations. And he ordered U.S. agencies to protect vulnerable gay and lesbian refugees and asylum seekers.

"The struggle to end discrimination against lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender persons is a global challenge, and one that is central to the United States' commitment to promoting human rights," Obama said in a statement.

Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton is also expected to speak about the announcements in Geneva later Tuesday.

The White House said Tuesday's announcement marked the first U.S. government strategy to combat human rights abuses against gays and lesbians abroad.

The order also directs U.S. government agencies to use foreign assistance to protect human rights and advance non-discrimination, and work with international organizations to fight discrimination against gays and lesbians.

Obama's announcement is part of the White House's outreach to gays and lesbians, a core Democratic constituency. Since taking office, Obama has advocated for the repeal of the military's ban on openly gay service members and ordered the administration to stop enforcing a law defining marriage as between one man and one woman.

However, Obama has stopped short of backing gay marriage, saying only that his personal views on the matter are evolving.

Gay rights groups praised the order as a significant step for ensuring that gays and lesbians are treated equally around the world.

"Today's actions by President Obama make clear that the United States will not turn a blind eye when governments commit or allow abuses to the human rights of LGBT people," said Joe Solmonese, president of the Human Rights Campaign, a gay advocacy organization.

The presidential directive applies to all U.S. agencies involved in foreign aid, assistance and development, including the Departments of States, the Treasury, Defense and Homeland Security.
Martigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 06:48 PM   #2
Drysdale
RSS Feed

Gotta pay back the gay voters for their unswerving loyalty last election cycle...
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."
-Robert A. Heinlein

"Thou shalt not steal. Except by majority vote." - Gary North
Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 06:48 PM   #3
Zelgadis

Send a message via ICQ to Zelgadis Send a message via AIM to Zelgadis Send a message via MSN to Zelgadis Send a message via Yahoo to Zelgadis
Equalizing gay rights and opportunities will bring jobs to the country, fix the economy, and make everything better with pretty rainbows!

Seriously, though, if an American is caught doing something that's frowned upon or otherwise illegal out of country, that country's going to do what ever their law says is fine to the American.

Serving one day at a time, for four-to-six years at a time.
Zelgadis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 07:33 PM   #4
SupportTank

you guys are so fucked.

70 Warrior - Affliction

If someone tells you it's OK to lie. How do you know they aren't lying?
SupportTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 12:37 AM   #5
Zelgadis

Send a message via ICQ to Zelgadis Send a message via AIM to Zelgadis Send a message via MSN to Zelgadis Send a message via Yahoo to Zelgadis
Do you think they'll rally back together to keep him in office for another term?

Serving one day at a time, for four-to-six years at a time.
Zelgadis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 05:59 AM   #6
Drysdale
RSS Feed

Originally Posted by SupportTank View Post
you guys are so fucked.
I seriously think any candidate put up against O will win. Not that that means we aren't fucked too...
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."
-Robert A. Heinlein

Old 12-07-2011, 08:20 AM   #7
SupportTank

Probably. You guys need to elect someone with the balls to do whats needed fiscally. which means firing at least half the people working for the government. And it had better be the half thats making the money. Also. entitlement removal. no exceptions.

Massive spending cuts. I mean massive. I dont mean a few billion.

70 Warrior - Affliction

If someone tells you it's OK to lie. How do you know they aren't lying?
SupportTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 09:23 AM   #8
Chiteng
Supporter

There is no way Gingrich will beat Obama. Its over

Voltaire

'For those with faith, no proof is needed. For those without faith, no proof is enough'

French Priest
Chiteng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 09:44 AM   #9
FafnerMorell
Warrior 4 the working-day

I wonder how much discretion a Presidential administration gets with foreign financial aid - it's a lot, I could see that being a great way to effectively cancel all of it. Just make up random causes ("Your country isn't doing enough to prevent ferret abuse!") and cite it as the reason for denying them the money Congress may have allocated. This could be generalized as a great way to slash government spending, and the best part is, you can blame it on the victim ("Sorry, no food stamps for you - you didn't do enough to promote diversity")
-- William Shakespeare, Henvy V, Act 4, Scene 3
FafnerMorell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 10:38 AM   #10
Lith Ahntalon

Send a message via AIM to Lith Ahntalon Send a message via Yahoo to Lith Ahntalon
That turd I dropped in the toilet this morning would be a better president than the current one.

Obama is a post turtle, pure and simple!!!
Old 12-07-2011, 12:35 PM   #11
Drysdale
RSS Feed

Originally Posted by Chiteng View Post
There is no way Gingrich will beat Obama. Its over
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXNqc...ayer_embedded#!

-Robert A. Heinlein

Old 01-05-2012, 05:21 AM   #12
Jelceie

Originally Posted by FafnerMorell View Post
I wonder how much discretion a Presidential administration gets with foreign financial aid - it's a lot, I could see that being a great way to effectively cancel all of it. Just make up random causes ("Your country isn't doing enough to prevent ferret abuse!") and cite it as the reason for denying them the money Congress may have allocated. This could be generalized as a great way to slash government spending, and the best part is, you can blame it on the victim ("Sorry, no food stamps for you - you didn't do enough to promote diversity")
This is evil, cynical, and brilliant. It might even work.
Jelceie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 06:22 AM   #13
FafnerMorell
Warrior 4 the working-day

Originally Posted by Jelceie View Post
Evil, cynical, and brilliant. It might even work.
If I ever run for political office, I'll make that my campaign slogan.
-- William Shakespeare, Henvy V, Act 4, Scene 3
FafnerMorell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 07:21 AM   #14
ShardmoonVer.1

The plan is to push gay rights abroad to lure American gays away from the US. Reverand Wright told me.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:49 AM   #15
Wildane
Psychopath w/a conscience

Missed this the first time, I guess.

Why the fuck are we spending money to promote gay rights abroad when we can't even give them equal rights right here?

"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear." - Thomas Jefferson
Wildane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 09:47 AM   #16
Pinkheart

It's just another human rights issue in a long list. So what if one more reason for human rights violations was added to the list?

Unless we are going to stop using foreign aid for human rights advocacy issues, it doesn't really matter the reason the violations occurred. Human rights are human rights. I don't see how this is anything but lip service.
Pinkheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 10:20 AM   #17
Wildane
Psychopath w/a conscience

Originally Posted by Pinkheart View Post
It's just another human rights issue in a long list. So what if one more reason for human rights violations was added to the list?
Because more reasons usually means more money.

Originally Posted by Pinkheart
Unless we are going to stop using foreign aid for human rights advocacy issues, it doesn't really matter the reason the violations occurred.
Yeah, we're just spending billions of dollars promoting our hypocrisy. Our government has a duty to serve its citizens first. How can we promote human rights for the rest of the world while neglecting to do so here?

But most of all, I don't like it because it's our government doing it. Our government can't handle money worth a shit, whether on domestic or foreign matters. Over the last 10 years, we've spent $6 billion in Pakistan under the false premise that poverty breeds extremism. We're trying to empower Pakistan's poor when we have people starving at home. That's just one example of wasted money. In how many other countries are we doing this?

Our government seems to have forgotten that they answer to US, not the rest of the world.

"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear." - Thomas Jefferson
Wildane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 11:22 AM   #18
Pinkheart

Originally Posted by Wildane View Post
Because more reasons usually means more money.

Yeah, we're just spending billions of dollars promoting our hypocrisy. Our government has a duty to serve its citizens first. How can we promote human rights for the rest of the world while neglecting to do so here?

But most of all, I don't like it because it's our government doing it. Our government can't handle money worth a shit, whether on domestic or foreign matters. Over the last 10 years, we've spent $6 billion in Pakistan under the false premise that poverty breeds extremism. We're trying to empower Pakistan's poor when we have people starving at home. That's just one example of wasted money. In how many other countries are we doing this?

Our government seems to have forgotten that they answer to US, not the rest of the world.
Well, I certainly don't disagree with your belief that the general policy is hypocrasy, wasteful, and frankly beyond our means.
Pinkheart is offline   Reply With Quote