Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > NON EQ Stuff (Real life, other games, etc.) > Steam Vent


Reply
 
Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2011, 11:15 AM   #1
Aolynd
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 987
Default galaxy

Just got a Galaxy tablet and so far: in a comparison I think it kills the ipad.



First off, the fanboy bullshit dislcaimers you have to do: I actually own a mac. AND an iphone. I'm ok with mac products.

But I didn't get the ipad because it felt redundant to me. I have a macbook, and I have an iphone. I didn't feel like there would be any task where I'd rather have an ipad than one of my other devices. Phone was more portable...macbook bigger with better movie stuff (but still portable).


But after seeing my nephew with the galaxy I decided to try it. So far it's only drawbacks are app related, which doesn't really count for me since android is still newer, apps are coming along, and I think will ultimately come along much faster than mac apps since designing them doesn't involve some draconian deal with mac.

and it's plusses are huge. Android letting me put my own flies on, change defaults, actually have a file manager, removable memory, widgets independent of mac, and settings that are actually easier to access.

frankly I'm surprised. Between gizmodo declaring it a failure and the fact that I've heard almost nothing about this, I was expecting it to be a lesser creature at best, and a complete piece of crap at worst.

Fact is, I think it makes the ipad look clunky and constricting.
Aolynd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 11:33 AM   #2
FafnerMorell
Warrior 4 the working-day
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 4,629
Good to hear. Going to be an exciting year or two for tablets - while I like Apple, it'll be good to see them getting some competition.
__________________
Fafner Wabbitslayer, Retired Shaman of Reviction, Erollisi Marr/Morell Thule
"This story shall the good man teach his son;...
From this day to the ending of the world,"
-- William Shakespeare, Henvy V, Act 4, Scene 3
FafnerMorell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 01:10 PM   #3
Drysdale
RSS Feed
 
Drysdale's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 20,628
Sprint just dropped their price on this to $299 with a 2 year contract.

I have an Augen Gentouch78, which is a poor man's Galaxy. (Resistive screen yo)

That being said, everyone bags on it as a POS, but it's exactly what I wanted and exactly what I paid for. ($150 pricetag) It reads books beautifully, surfs the web just fine on WiFi (No 3g, but I didn't want that) and does a pretty good job on movies. 4-6 hour battery, no camera, SD slot, and android 2.1. All in all, everything I wanted from a tablet for the money.

Go out and grab Dolphin HD web browser. It's currently the best browser for the Android tablets. It's VERY nice.

Also, go look at Launcher Pro as a home screen replacement. You might or might not like it, but it allows you to set icon density (read: add more icons to your home screens) and the pro version lets you resize widgets. This is very nice on a tablet.

Good acquisition man. I really like Android, and where it's going. I expect the 3.0 (Honeycomb) to really kick the tablets into overdrive as well.
__________________
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."
-Robert A. Heinlein

"Thou shalt not steal. Except by majority vote." - Gary North
Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 01:11 PM   #4
Drysdale
RSS Feed
 
Drysdale's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 20,628
Originally Posted by FafnerMorell View Post
Good to hear. Going to be an exciting year or two for tablets - while I like Apple, it'll be good to see them getting some competition.
I agree. My wife has an Ipad, and while it's a well made device that does exactly what it's designed to do, I'd have the little fucker jailbroken within 10 minutes if it were up to me. She's threatened me with castration if I do, so it's still stock.

The Galaxy has forced Apple to consider front facing cameras, among other things. That's all to the good. Make Steve work for his $100 Billion, I say!
__________________
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."
-Robert A. Heinlein

"Thou shalt not steal. Except by majority vote." - Gary North
Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 01:34 PM   #5
Aolynd
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 987
full review (since the other reviews I've seen are just plain full of shit):

The first question is: is this your primary machine? This effects several things. For someone like my sister, who may or may not even ever turn her desktop on (and if she does its only to play solitaire on it), the ipad is the right choice for several reasons.


It's easier to use: it doesn't come with a manual for a reason: it doesn't need a manual. You click an icon to do what the icon is a picture of. You click the devices one and only button to make it stop doing that. If you don't see it, it's not doing it.

It also has a bigger screen. Better for watching movies while still being a nice portable device.

It has a better battery. This ones an easy comparison: ipad wins.

it's been around longer so there are more apps. Also an easy comparison: ipad wins FOR NOW. The problem ipad does have, which cant really be ignored, is that mac is one company. Much like desktops: most people seem to think there are two computer companies that make desktops, mac and pc. There are not. There are thousands, yes thousands of computer companies, all 100% compatible except for one. The one ugly kid no one else wants to talk to.

What that means for apps is that while apple cares about the ipad app market...EVERYONE else has a stake in all other app markets. They are catching up fast and any safe bet is that the will pass up, and leave ipad apps in the dust by the end of the year.

Why the smaller screen is better for someone like me: I have a desktop, and a macbook. the tAblet is filling a niche in my life that the other two don't fill. a lap top is portable and has a screen that makes the ipad look like speak and spell. The point is to be MORE portable.

Size is not an arbitrary number, it's based on "Where and how can this be carried?" An ipad can be carried easily in a backpack or bag. Or it can be carried under your arm, but the same is true of my laptop. The Galaxy fits in a coat pocket or a ladies purse.


OS: ipad is easier to use right out of the box. Android take a whole half hour to figure out without instructions and does more. For me: android is easier as in: easier to make it do what I want because it's more customizable. (See the many other android vs iphone debates. For your grandma or computer illiterate sister ipad, for most of the people here, Android is going to win).

On the idpa when you close an app, that app closes, which is convenient. On the android it goes away, but continues running until you tell the machine to end that app. For most reviewers this is a big negative. Honestly for me it's a positive. It means you can let things run in the background while doing other things. You can multitask. I see that as a good thing.

the camera on the Galaxy is nice. Not really something I personally care about, but if you do: it has two cameras. You can skype and video chat on it. You can take picture and movies. Ipad has no camera.

wi-fi only. A few revues I read claimed that the fact that Galaxy does not offer a wi-fi only version is somehow a bad thing.

These people are retards. Ignore them. First off: having the feature is better than not having it. Secondly: turning 3g on/off: it involves clicking one button. On android there's a nice little hidden drop down. You grab the top of the screen, drag your finger down and a menu magically appears from off screen. It has buttons on it. Click button: profit. Problem solved.

If you want to turn the 3G on (this is where Galaxy really wins) you need a 3G plan, but with Verizon you do not have to sign a 2 year deal. There is no commitment. My plan is month to month. 3gig, $30 per month. (there's bigger plans for more and a lesser plan that's 1gig for $20...I will probably switch to that. 1gig didn't sound like much, but it's only your bandwidth while using 3G. when you're on a wi-fi connection its not using up your plan at all). Or you can just...not have it turned on.

and (now we get to cost) WITH 3G, the galaxy is $499 right now...ipad 16g is $499 for wi-fi only (no 3G). ipad with 3G is $630 for the 16g and $830 for the 64gig. as for the memory...galaxy comes with it's on board memory (16g I think), plus an sd slot which comes with another 16g card...but you can upgrade the card, or have multiple cards.

But for me, as strange as it sounds: the wheel that sold the car was three little letters: PDF.

Not only does Galaxy read pdf files, but with Android I can load up my files (any file) to whatever folder I want..on board or in the sd card. Then when I load up the pdf I can choose either the standard pdf view, or a reader view, which presents my pdf file as if it were a book I downloaded on ereader.

For me that really is a big deal. This device will probably mostly be used as a reader (which is another reason I liked the paperback size). The ability to read whatever I want; amazon, fictionwise, nook (Ipad does all that) PLUS the ability to add in PDF's or my own files (Ipad does not) is a big deal.

So far the Galaxy has four negatives for me:

1) the browser doesn't have a default option to disable mobile versions of sites. Allot of sites have a mobile version that the site automatically sends you to if it detects you're on a mobile device. This is nice for phones, it blows for tablets. The default browser doesn't seem to have a disable option. I dont remember if the ipad does or not.

BUT, it likely to be fixed in a patch. In the meantime, there are other browsers available for free download. AND (a nice plus that ipad doesn't offer): it will allow you to set another browser as the default browser if you decide you like it better.

But it's still gets the negative because I do like the default browser, I just want to disable mobile versions of sites.

2) Battery: ipad battery is better. It just is.

3) netflix. They say its coming, but it's not out yet for android. This kind of sucks.

4) I do like itunes. I may be the only one, but I like it.
Aolynd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 01:37 PM   #6
Aolynd
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 987
Originally Posted by Drysdale View Post
Go out and grab Dolphin HD web browser. It's currently the best browser for the Android tablets. It's VERY nice.
You just answered a big question I had. I downloaded Dolphin, and it works, but I was hesitant to make it my default browser since I had never heard of it. I'm automatically leery of browsers that haven't been heavily test driven by others.

It DOES have the option to disable mobile versions of sites.
Aolynd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 01:46 PM   #7
Drysdale
RSS Feed
 
Drysdale's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 20,628
Originally Posted by Aolynd View Post
But for me, as strange as it sounds: the wheel that sold the car was three little letters: PDF.

Not only does Galaxy read pdf files, but with Android I can load up my files (any file) to whatever folder I want..on board or in the sd card. Then when I load up the pdf I can choose either the standard pdf view, or a reader view, which presents my pdf file as if it were a book I downloaded on ereader.

For me that really is a big deal. This device will probably mostly be used as a reader (which is another reason I liked the paperback size). The ability to read whatever I want; amazon, fictionwise, nook (Ipad does all that) PLUS the ability to add in PDF's or my own files (Ipad does not) is a big deal.
Actually, you can put PDF files on an Ipad. It's just that you have to either open from email, or go through Itunes. It's not nearly as intuitive as the Android app, but it's there.

So far the Galaxy has four negatives for me:

1) the browser doesn't have a default option to disable mobile versions of sites. Allot of sites have a mobile version that the site automatically sends you to if it detects you're on a mobile device. This is nice for phones, it blows for tablets. The default browser doesn't seem to have a disable option. I dont remember if the ipad does or not.

BUT, it likely to be fixed in a patch. In the meantime, there are other browsers available for free download. AND (a nice plus that ipad doesn't offer): it will allow you to set another browser as the default browser if you decide you like it better.

But it's still gets the negative because I do like the default browser, I just want to disable mobile versions of sites.

2) Battery: ipad battery is better. It just is.

3) netflix. They say its coming, but it's not out yet for android. This kind of sucks.

4) I do like itunes. I may be the only one, but I like it.
If you really like Itunes, go check out Doubletwist. It's almost an exact clone, but works on Android, or just about any other MP3 player. It has a Mac/Windows client, and an Android client. Pretty decent little media player, although I've opted for Winamp, because that Llama's ass just needs kicking!
__________________
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."
-Robert A. Heinlein

"Thou shalt not steal. Except by majority vote." - Gary North
Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 01:50 PM   #8
Drysdale
RSS Feed
 
Drysdale's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 20,628
Originally Posted by Aolynd View Post
You just answered a big question I had. I downloaded Dolphin, and it works, but I was hesitant to make it my default browser since I had never heard of it. I'm automatically leery of browsers that haven't been heavily test driven by others.

It DOES have the option to disable mobile versions of sites.
Make sure you have the HD version, MUCH nicer on a 7" screen.

Opera has an HD version in the pipe as well. I'd assume the other players will come out with one soon enough.

I've used Dolphin on & off since I got Android. It's reputable. If you have any other app needs, feel free to ask. I can probably give you some pointers.
__________________
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."
-Robert A. Heinlein

"Thou shalt not steal. Except by majority vote." - Gary North
Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 01:52 PM   #9
Aolynd
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 987
Originally Posted by Drysdale View Post
Actually, you can put PDF files on an Ipad. It's just that you have to either open from email, or go through Itunes. It's not nearly as intuitive as the Android app, but it's there.
Good to know (I still have my iphone). But even then still not as handy. The point for me is to get an ereader like view of pdf files, such as my own writing, or pirated harry potter books. While stillbeing nice to have the standard pdf view option for manuals and tutorials (it's nice to have the tablet tutorial open while working on the desktop).

Originally Posted by Drysdale View Post
If you really like Itunes, go check out Doubletwist. It's almost an exact clone, but works on Android, or just about any other MP3 player.
Will it read itunes files? that's the big question. I've been using itunes for a long time and have a lot of songs, movies, and tv shows in itunes format that would be nice to be able to send to an sd card so I could watch on the galaxy while traveling.
Aolynd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 02:08 PM   #10
Drysdale
RSS Feed
 
Drysdale's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 20,628
Originally Posted by Aolynd View Post
Good to know (I still have my iphone). But even then still not as handy. The point for me is to get an ereader like view of pdf files, such as my own writing, or pirated harry potter books. While stillbeing nice to have the standard pdf view option for manuals and tutorials (it's nice to have the tablet tutorial open while working on the desktop).



Will it read itunes files? that's the big question. I've been using itunes for a long time and have a lot of songs, movies, and tv shows in itunes format that would be nice to be able to send to an sd card so I could watch on the galaxy while traveling.
I believe it will import itunes over to DT.

It also has a little feature you might enjoy:
Wirelessly sync your iTunes playlists, photos and videos with your Android phone using your home Wi-Fi network.
__________________
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."
-Robert A. Heinlein

"Thou shalt not steal. Except by majority vote." - Gary North
Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 06:19 PM   #11
Wildane
Psychopath w/a conscience
 
Wildane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: The Hospitality State, asshole!
Posts: 10,540
Originally Posted by Drysdale View Post
I agree. My wife has an Ipad, and while it's a well made device that does exactly what it's designed to do, I'd have the little fucker jailbroken within 10 minutes if it were up to me. She's threatened me with castration if I do, so it's still stock.
I'm not at all familiar with the iPad, but if it's anything like the iPhone, all you have to do is back it up before you break it and restore it if you don't like it. There's really no risk involved. I've broken and restored my iPhone a few times (gotta do it with every update) and haven't had any problems whatsoever. Just do it while she's not looking.

Edit: well, one thing to consider is to make sure it's not a tethered jailbreak. Those can be a pain in the ass. It means that, every time you have to reboot it, it needs to be re-broken. If you reboot it while it's not connected to your computer, it will come up in restore mode. That's one reason my phone isn't jailbroken now: they don't have an untethered jailbreak for my firmware version.
__________________
"I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth." - Umberto Eco

"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear." - Thomas Jefferson
Wildane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 09:36 PM   #12
Drysdale
RSS Feed
 
Drysdale's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 20,628
Originally Posted by Wildane View Post
I'm not at all familiar with the iPad, but if it's anything like the iPhone, all you have to do is back it up before you break it and restore it if you don't like it. There's really no risk involved. I've broken and restored my iPhone a few times (gotta do it with every update) and haven't had any problems whatsoever. Just do it while she's not looking.

Edit: well, one thing to consider is to make sure it's not a tethered jailbreak. Those can be a pain in the ass. It means that, every time you have to reboot it, it needs to be re-broken. If you reboot it while it's not connected to your computer, it will come up in restore mode. That's one reason my phone isn't jailbroken now: they don't have an untethered jailbreak for my firmware version.
It's not the risk factor. It's the principle.

Her exact words:

"If you were to jailbreak my Ipad without my knowledge, I'd consider that to be akin to rape."

She was only half serious, but I took the point.

And she doesn't need it to be jailbroken.

Of course, my Android pad lasted a whole day before I rooted it. And my android phone is rooted as well, and the 3G is actually pretty speedy when hotspotting her Ipad. Ironic, no?
__________________
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."
-Robert A. Heinlein

"Thou shalt not steal. Except by majority vote." - Gary North
Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 11:04 PM   #13
Aolynd
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 987
Originally Posted by Drysdale View Post
I believe it will import itunes over to DT.

It also has a little feature you might enjoy:
it did. songs and video. And yes, I decided to get the wireless option for it (the app is free, pay for the add on that does wireless...still worth it.)

And good recommendation. Awesome app.
Aolynd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 02:09 PM   #14
Drysdale
RSS Feed
 
Drysdale's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 20,628
Hey,

Take a look at Zeam. It's a launcher replacement. The nice thing is, it lets you set icon density. I set mine to 6X6 instead of 4X4, so less wasted space. It also lets you resize Widgets to fit better. And, best of all, it's FAST.

And free

If you don't like it, you can uninstall it and go back to the native launcher, no problem.
__________________
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."
-Robert A. Heinlein

"Thou shalt not steal. Except by majority vote." - Gary North
Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 04:51 PM   #15
Aolynd
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 987
Originally Posted by Drysdale View Post
Hey,

Take a look at Zeam. It's a launcher replacement. The nice thing is, it lets you set icon density. I set mine to 6X6 instead of 4X4, so less wasted space. It also lets you resize Widgets to fit better. And, best of all, it's FAST.

And free

If you don't like it, you can uninstall it and go back to the native launcher, no problem.
Tried it. It's definitely nice. Also tried ADWlauncher and Go. The problem is, on my main page I have an accuweather widget that came pre installed on my tab that doesn't seem to work using any other launcher.

I know, sounds dumb not to use a launcher for one widget, but it's the king of widgets: very attractive analog clock, but the face displays a picture based on the weather and time...moon or sun, covered in clouds, raining, etc. Below it on a small bar is the date and time and temperature digital, and clicking it takes me to a full page version.

Basically it's about a thousand times nicer and more attractive than any of the weather apps on the market. Some come close, but nothing is nearly as nice...trust me: I've checked out all of the other widgets available on the market to see if I could find a decent replacement.

I was able to change and customize icons in the main sumsung launcher using folder organizer app. Cant resize them, but I don't really mind.


Another nice bonus: dunno if this is true of phones, but with the galaxy tab I can just leave other launchers installed. it doesn't seem to care how many I have. Whenever I install a new one the "Home" button asks which one I want to use, until I declare my choice for default. Once I pick one to be the default it ignores the others until further notice.
Aolynd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 05:08 PM   #16
Drysdale
RSS Feed
 
Drysdale's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 20,628
Originally Posted by Aolynd View Post
Tried it. It's definitely nice. Also tried ADWlauncher and Go. The problem is, on my main page I have an accuweather widget that came pre installed on my tab that doesn't seem to work using any other launcher.

I know, sounds dumb not to use a launcher for one widget, but it's the king of widgets: very attractive analog clock, but the face displays a picture based on the weather and time...moon or sun, covered in clouds, raining, etc. Below it on a small bar is the date and time and temperature digital, and clicking it takes me to a full page version.

Basically it's about a thousand times nicer and more attractive than any of the weather apps on the market. Some come close, but nothing is nearly as nice...trust me: I've checked out all of the other widgets available on the market to see if I could find a decent replacement.

I was able to change and customize icons in the main sumsung launcher using folder organizer app. Cant resize them, but I don't really mind.


Another nice bonus: dunno if this is true of phones, but with the galaxy tab I can just leave other launchers installed. it doesn't seem to care how many I have. Whenever I install a new one the "Home" button asks which one I want to use, until I declare my choice for default. Once I pick one to be the default it ignores the others until further notice.
Try Beautiful widgets. It's a paid app, but pretty nice.

__________________
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."
-Robert A. Heinlein

"Thou shalt not steal. Except by majority vote." - Gary North
Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 07:34 PM   #17
Aolynd
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 987
Originally Posted by Drysdale View Post
Try Beautiful widgets. It's a paid app, but pretty nice.

saw it already. Nice, but nowhere near as nice.

beautiful widgets:screenshot:








the widget I have :
Aolynd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 04:36 AM   #18
Drysdale
RSS Feed
 
Drysdale's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 20,628
The 1st screen looks exactly like BW. The 2nd is a little diff though.
__________________
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."
-Robert A. Heinlein

"Thou shalt not steal. Except by majority vote." - Gary North
Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 06:47 AM   #19
Shylodog
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 1,378
Send a message via Yahoo to Shylodog
Originally Posted by Drysdale View Post
The 1st screen looks exactly like BW. The 2nd is a little diff though.
Because the first one IS BW, and the second one isn't? Just a hunch though, since that's what he said.
__________________
Shylodog Wamphyri
66 Arch Convoker
(Retired)

Originally Posted by Hormadrune
Write it down- Chuk made me lolirl
Originally Posted by Drysdale
To bumbleroot: Know what? You're right. I DID misread your statement and I DO apologize.
Shylodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 06:50 AM   #20
Drysdale
RSS Feed
 
Drysdale's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 20,628
Originally Posted by Shylodog View Post
Because the first one IS BW, and the second one isn't? Just a hunch though, since that's what he said.
Dur!

(It was early... what can I say!)
__________________
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."
-Robert A. Heinlein

"Thou shalt not steal. Except by majority vote." - Gary North
Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 06:53 AM   #21
Shylodog
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 1,378
Send a message via Yahoo to Shylodog
Originally Posted by Drysdale View Post
Dur!

(It was early... what can I say!)
I'm right there with ya. Just got up mahself. *yawn*
__________________
Shylodog Wamphyri
66 Arch Convoker
(Retired)

Originally Posted by Hormadrune
Write it down- Chuk made me lolirl
Originally Posted by Drysdale
To bumbleroot: Know what? You're right. I DID misread your statement and I DO apologize.
Shylodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 08:35 AM   #22
Karthanon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 578
Gizmodo gave it a bad review because they're a bunch of Apple fanbois. No surprise there.

I'd love to pick one up, but first have to replace my wife's cell phone (LG Eve) with a Samsung Vibrant S (or whatever it is) with Android 2.1...then I can hack the LG Eve to run 2.1 (minimum) since Rogers, our cell provider up here, sucks horribly..
Karthanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 12:34 PM   #23
Aolynd
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 987
I set up EDW launcher the way I like (replaced my weather widget with BW and a decent clock widget I found). Similar to Zeam, same options, only slightly different look, more themes available on the market.

But in the end I found I had another widget that doesn't run outside the stock launcher: program monitor. Program monitor reads out how many things are running and I can click it to close them. Basically nothing more than task manager with a numeric display, but still nice.


I haven't decided, but the good news, as Drysdale already pointed out: I don't really have to decide. Left both of em on and set up, with Zeam as well. If I change my mind it's one click to make the home button use a different one.




And yeah the gizmodo article...actually a little beyond biased and into the realm of "Are you 70 years old? have you even used a computer before?) For some people, depending on what they want I can definitely see choosing ipad. It's a good device and it does allot of things really well. Also the bigger screen is handy for some things. For me and my own needs: Galaxy tab wins hands down.

When my phone contract ends, unless the iphone 5 is something really special, I'll probably be going android on that as well. (currently using iphone)

(windows phones sound like they have some good stuff, but I find the interface ugly. Maybe it's jsut me, but I like icons.)
Aolynd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 01:57 PM   #24
Drysdale
RSS Feed
 
Drysdale's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 20,628
Karth, I've been looking at phones a LOT.

I'm a Samsung Moment owner, and have come to the conclusion that I'll not buy another Samsung phone for a while.

Why?

Because Samsung has an 11% update rate going from 2.1 to 2.2, months and months after it's been released. HTC? MUCH better. Same with Motorola. If I were to buy a new phone today (from Sprint), it'd be the EVO shift. My contract comes up at the end of Feb, and I'm hoping a Dual Core phone from HTC is out by then.
__________________
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."
-Robert A. Heinlein

"Thou shalt not steal. Except by majority vote." - Gary North
Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 01:59 PM   #25
Drysdale
RSS Feed
 
Drysdale's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 20,628
Originally Posted by Aolynd View Post
(windows phones sound like they have some good stuff, but I find the interface ugly. Maybe it's jsut me, but I like icons.)
Windows phones might be OK, after they get Cut/paste and customized ringtones.
__________________
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."
-Robert A. Heinlein

"Thou shalt not steal. Except by majority vote." - Gary North
Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 09:20 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.