Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > NON EQ Stuff (Real life, other games, etc.) > Steam Vent

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2012, 09:44 PM   #26
Brigiid

Send a message via AIM to Brigiid
This thread sounded like a lot more fun before I opened it up and figured out we weren't talking about food. Who can say no to all-you-can-eat popcorn shrimp? Mmm.

Oh, and I agree with Wildane.
Old 01-13-2012, 05:27 AM   #27
Wildane
Psychopath w/a conscience

Originally Posted by Brigiid View Post
Who can say no to all-you-can-eat popcorn shrimp? Mmm.
And I agree with you.

"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear." - Thomas Jefferson
Wildane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 06:20 AM   #28
Drysdale
RSS Feed

I always hope that it's a new album from Jimmy... Can't wait to hear his cover of Pina Coladaburgh...
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."
-Robert A. Heinlein

"Thou shalt not steal. Except by majority vote." - Gary North
Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 06:54 AM   #29
Pinkheart

Originally Posted by Brigiid View Post
This thread sounded like a lot more fun before I opened it up and figured out we weren't talking about food. Who can say no to all-you-can-eat popcorn shrimp? Mmm.

Oh, and I agree with Wildane.
I've said it once and I'll say it again.... Paula Deen buffet.... /drool
Pinkheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 07:26 AM   #30
Brigiid

That would be worth risking a heart attack for. I would love to stop by her restaurant if I'm ever down that way again.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:50 AM   #31
Aolynd

Originally Posted by Pinkheart View Post
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...ors_picks=true

Love it! Now the people criticizing him as "not serious" or whatever can see who really cares about the debt and who is really willing to sacrifice.

Funny guy.

(I am sure there will be the pathetic response - why doesn't he pay it down without them matching? ... probably to get more bang for his buck, why jus tpay it..when he can pay AND expose the liars?)

They disagree with a spending project so they must be hypocrites unless they are willing to personally pay for the spending they disagree with?

Is it dark in there?
Aolynd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 09:15 AM   #32
Pinkheart

Originally Posted by Aolynd View Post
They disagree with a spending project so they must be hypocrites unless they are willing to personally pay for the spending they disagree with?

Is it dark in there?
Yeah, when THEY are the ones passing this spending crap... and the tax breaks for wealthy people.

This is not to say that I don't think Democrats should be right there writing a fat check to the government, too.

If they want to buy votes, they can buy them wit htheir own damn money. Both sides are buying votes. One side is buying it with tax breaks and the other is buying it with tax revenue.
Old 01-13-2012, 10:14 AM   #33
Beal

Sounds like a win/win proposition from his POV.

..and lots of bitterness about a guy that could just keep his money and let you pay it all. Strange.
The amouny of debt he would pay down if he handed over all of his wealth to the US government is inconsequential. Don't act like he is doing a favor for anyone who opposes tax increases. This stunt would not pay down any meaningful debt. It is meant only to create support for the notion that taxes should be raised on higher income earners or the wealthy.

I see no problem here. Those that don't like him will criticize no matter what he does... but the truth is that he has done a shitload. Oh sure, you may or may not agree with his solutions/opinions... but I really find it entertaining that people who do nothing but bitch on a board are accusing him of "not really caring" when he has actually put a lot more effort in than most elected officials.
I think Buffett cares. I think he believes he is doing the right thing. I also disagree with him.

The worst thing we could do is give more money to the government. The second worst thing we could do is make taxes more progressive.
Beal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 11:10 AM   #34
Pinkheart

Originally Posted by Beal View Post
The amouny of debt he would pay down if he handed over all of his wealth to the US government is inconsequential. Don't act like he is doing a favor for anyone who opposes tax increases. This stunt would not pay down any meaningful debt. It is meant only to create support for the notion that taxes should be raised on higher income earners or the wealthy.
I don't think he is doing anyone a favor... I think he is creating publicity for a topic he has a concern with... and doin so at his own expense. I also think he is doing it in a way that is entertaining... so I like it.

I think Buffett cares. I think he believes he is doing the right thing. I also disagree with him.

The worst thing we could do is give more money to the government. The second worst thing we could do is make taxes more progressive.
I agree and disagree. I really don't think the tax code needs to be more progressive, I just think it needs to function, which requires removing loopholes. At the same time, I think it's undeniable that cutting spending is a necessity.
Old 01-14-2012, 08:26 PM   #35
Beal

I don't think he is doing anyone a favor...
You don't?

"..and lots of bitterness about a guy that could just keep his money and let you pay it all. Strange."

It sure read like you were claiming he was offering to do us a favor.

The reason this is a no-risk proposal is because the Republicans don't want to give the government any more money. They think that if we just give it more, it will spend more. Buffet is treating the federal government as if it was a charity. His proposal is like making an offer to the National Organization for Women, that for every dollar they donate to Operation Rescue, he will match with a dollar of his own.
Beal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 03:10 AM   #36
Wildane

Well, to be fair, it was stipulated that this money would only be for paying down our debt, so technically that can't lead to increased spending. But, I don't believe his motives are altruistic in the least.

"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear." - Thomas Jefferson
Old 01-15-2012, 07:34 PM   #37
Drysdale
RSS Feed

Originally Posted by Wildane View Post
Well, to be fair, it was stipulated that this money would only be for paying down our debt, so technically that can't lead to increased spending. But, I don't believe his motives are altruistic in the least.
Except that it would free up other money earmarked for debt reduction... You don't think the politicritters would pass on an opportunity to feed at the trough again, do you?
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."
-Robert A. Heinlein

"Thou shalt not steal. Except by majority vote." - Gary North
Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 06:45 AM   #38
Pinkheart

Originally Posted by Drysdale View Post
Except that it would free up other money earmarked for debt reduction... You don't think the politicritters would pass on an opportunity to feed at the trough again, do you?
I see where your coming from, and I agree that the government has a spending problem (read all politicians are addicted to spending like whitney is to crack)...

But still, the debt is something we already spent and owe... I don't think it's a legitimate position to claim that not paying your bills that are due is a just or even effective way to curb new spending.

I don't think lack of money has curbed the politcal appetite for spending in the past. They just borrow more.

Unfortunately, if owing money was a deterrent to spending, we probably wouldn't be in the fiscal shape we're in.

Also: If money is earmarked for debt service, I would think there would still be plenty of debt for it to service... I seriously doubt the entire debt would be paid off by this. I would also hope that allocations that large wouldn't be so easily changeable.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:36 AM   #39
Wildane

Originally Posted by Drysdale View Post
Whether or not I believe that is irrelevant, I can't know for certain that they are. My argument is based on what information is given, not off assumption or opinion. Because, for all my beliefs....I could be wrong. I don't have any tangible evidence that definitively says these guys are crooks, so for the sake of argument, I can only rely on what facts I have.

Basically, it's a valid argument that should be considered in the overall picture. I hope that makes sense, I didn't get a lot of sleep last night.

Old 01-16-2012, 11:59 AM   #40
ShardmoonVer.1

I just noticed the Paula Dean reference. My ex room mate use to gather up a group of like minded fat chicks and drive up to Savannah once a month. They always came back happy.
Old 01-16-2012, 12:17 PM   #41
Pinkheart

Originally Posted by ShardmoonVer.1 View Post
I just noticed the Paula Dean reference. My ex room mate use to gather up a group of like minded fat chicks and drive up to Savannah once a month. They always came back happy.
You don't have to be fat to love Paula... I am not fat at all... I will probably just be an athletic guy that dies from a massive coronary.
Old 01-16-2012, 12:18 PM   #42
ShardmoonVer.1

Nah.. their weight is only relevant because its the fastest way to paint a picture. That and those bitches never bring me a doggy bag.
Old 01-16-2012, 06:49 PM   #43
Brigiid

Bahaha...