Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > EverQuest > Chit-Chat Lounge

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2004, 10:56 AM   #1
Wildane
Psychopath w/a conscience

Default Shadow knights

I've really been getting into my shadow knight lately and I was wondering if there was a good SK forum around. I've always found the information on such boards as the Druids Grove, Crucible and Monkly Business to be invaluable and would love to find a place where I could read up on the SK class. I think I've been doing pretty well, but I got some questions, such as, is there any real reason to work on 1h skills? As an ogre, I can slam opponents to interrupt casts while using a 2h weapon. I know there are the obvious stat boosts you get from some shields, but other than the bash ability, is there any other reason to use them? All my 2h weapon skills are close to maxed out, but my 1h skills are in the double digits. Should I raise them? Anyway, if someone could point me in the right direction, I'd sure appreciate it

"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear." - Thomas Jefferson
Wildane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 11:00 AM   #2
Sustained

http://shadowknight.org/
Old 01-05-2004, 12:19 PM   #3
Drujjanger

Default yes, work on those skills...

Aye, shadowknight.org is a good site, I rarely frequent that site, and prefer to actually talk to players in game who show skill playing their shadow knight.

I would say that you are better off skilling those up (I wouldnt make it a priority or anything), but try to get all those melee skills skilled up so that when the time comes, and you find that uber weapon, you're not sitting at skill level 1 when you can finally wield it

Personally, my shadow knight is fairly new, and I've made it a priority to level up and work on my AA's, however, I have 2H slash and Piercing maxed out. I plan on doing 2H/1H blunt next, just need to find a decent weapon for a cheap price.

Drujjanger, Archon of Innoruuk
Quorthon, Dread Lord of Innoruuk
Drujjanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 01:13 PM   #4
Maeel

Originally Posted by Wildane
I've really been getting into my shadow knight lately and I was wondering if there was a good SK forum around. I've always found the information on such boards as the Druids Grove, Crucible and Monkly Business to be invaluable and would love to find a place where I could read up on the SK class. I think I've been doing pretty well, but I got some questions, such as, is there any real reason to work on 1h skills? As an ogre, I can slam opponents to interrupt casts while using a 2h weapon. I know there are the obvious stat boosts you get from some shields, but other than the bash ability, is there any other reason to use them? All my 2h weapon skills are close to maxed out, but my 1h skills are in the double digits. Should I raise them? Anyway, if someone could point me in the right direction, I'd sure appreciate it
No there is not. Its easier to take the time and talk to the high level sk's on our server. You can go to shadowknight.org if you want to try and avoid all the lame bs chatter and class envy posts.

I would recommend talking to the high level sk's on our server, youd be surprised at what you can learn that way without reading through posts and posts of bs.

As far as your weapon skills, I'd take the time to max them all. 2 handers are the way to go to get a little more dps, but as a sk you'll learn you will be offtanking alot, and pulling. A 1 hander and shield for the little more hp's and ac are worth it in those roles. I dont know where you are in game. But there are alot of 1 handers available to sk's. Id work on both your 1 hander skills to be on that safe side.

Maeel
Maeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 01:22 PM   #5
Nuzum

Rusty sword and targ shield RULE.

dont let them tell you otherwise.

"Kitties are the Dion warwicks of the shaman world"
Nuzum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 01:46 PM   #6
Deadscale

Raise all your weapon skills or you'll be like me with a 1hand blunt skill of 15 =p
Old 01-05-2004, 06:45 PM   #7
Azraelwrath

shadowknight.org is an excellent site, and I use to go there until I quit EQ for good. Back in the day, I was told to max out everything. Nowdays, 1h weapons don't seem to be in style, unless you find a really great 1h uber weapon. The purpose of maxing out everything is to be able to wield whatever great weapon comes your way when the time comes. So you should pretty much raise everything if you can. If you don't want to spend all that time doing that, you can skip is 1h weapons.
SOE Interviewer: You're hired.
Azraelwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 11:18 PM   #8
Kurupt

wtf SKs suck, ask Locdogg
Old 01-06-2004, 12:55 AM   #9
Dakat

If I were playing a Sk, or any form of melee class for that matter, I would work on every skill that the class has. Being a person who never got into a guild with an alternate character, I never did see any of the high end weapons in game. With that said, this being an alternate, are you going to invest the time and plat in order to increase its armor/weapons and skills? If so, most people tend to be on the lookout for a better weapon no matter which slot/skill it requires. Swinging a nice 1hs with a decent shield is an option.

Most times though, you are usually going to use the equipment that you can readily afford. Then as you get higher in level and are given the opportunity to get a better weapon from looting a corpse or through purchases, you might find a better weapon then your current one. Not having practiced that skill will hurt you in the long run.

To say one skill is more valuable then another is wrong. It's all dependant on the situation. If you are out soloing, you might want to have the most damage output as possible to kill the mob your working on as quick as possible. That might have you swinging a 2hs weapon. In a group situation, your not there to be the main damage dealer, lot of other classes are there for that. You are there for agro control or puller or just a form of damage output or a combination of those. Where any good weapon of any skill type is just as efficient.

Everyone knows we as a person always try to endeavor to outdue the next guy. Thats our nature. Competition. Go with what you feel like doing. You play your class the way you want to.

This is just my opinion...
Old 01-06-2004, 01:43 AM   #10
Svartrot

shadowknight.org has the best info. Skip the general forum though.

If you get your hands on a good 1h, by all means raise the skill. Before the 2h damage bonus starts to really kick in in the mid 50s an equal ratio 1h is about the same DPS. Don't handicap yourself or slow down your leveling just to get a skill up though. If you get your hands on a good weapon, getting the skill up is only a matter of a couple days anyways.
Svartrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 04:33 AM   #11
Wildane

Well, to tell the truth I was going to get them up anyway, because I like to have all my skills (minus tradeskills /shudder) maxed out. My 1hslash and 1hblunt are at 70ish and 80ish respectively, I just didn't know if there was something I was missing, some special purpose for these skills. And no matter what melee character I've played, I'm always on the lookout for a better weapon. As far as this being just an alt, well, I've already retired my shaman and was playing my monk mainly, but the more I play my SK, the more I love him. I love tanking mobs, and since I already loved to pull, I figured this would be the best class for me.

Anyway, thanks for the info, guys, have already learned a thing or two from that site . I would try talking to some high level SKs, but all the ones I know are assholes /flee!!

"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear." - Thomas Jefferson
Old 01-06-2004, 04:53 AM   #12
keularye

please don't ask me any questions

keularye
keularye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 05:03 AM   #13
Dakat

Glad to have helped you, even if I really didn't. I was the same way when I switched from my warrior Adom to the Beastlord. I really loved the Kat. Still do when ever I do get on.

I'm glad your playing something you enjoy playing. From your last post it sure seems that way
Old 01-06-2004, 07:58 AM   #14
Drazhkahn

Just train up 2h slash and maybe 2h blunt if you ever plan on getting a Greater Stormwatcher Horn, you don't really need to train up all of the others unless you like to see maxed skills, which you do for some odd reason . Since you're an ogre, you really don't need to worry much about 1h/shield unless you like the amazing amount of dps bash adds (as opposed to slam).

At least you picked the right race to be, not being stunned by melee from the front rocks.
Old 01-06-2004, 08:32 AM   #15
Wildane

Originally Posted by Drazhkahn
At least you picked the right race to be, not being stunned by melee from the front rocks
Oh my god YES! With the other melee I've played, that got so frustrating! Hit for 2 damage, then stunned, then, if I'm lucky, hit for damage again before getting stunned again. This was mostly at the lower levels, but it's so nice to not have that problem.

Of course, there are drawbacks to being an ogre. I learned last week that I couldn't even get past the first room in Sol A without a shrink ("Sweet, I'm such a beefcake I can't even fit through the door"). Having to look down at a lot of the stuff you fight. Being so big that it feels like you're running through water, even though you're going the same speed as everyone else. And having all the women intimidated by your incredible sexiness that they won't even approach you really sucks. They get so hot-n-bothered when I get near they run away screaming.

And don't worry, Keularye, I know plenty of high level shadow knights to pester. I'm sure I can live without your sage wisdom

Old 01-06-2004, 08:33 AM   #16
Xiqz

Default ,,,

Another point that hasnt been made here is, weapons are good for things other than damage. What if that 1hb that procs a slow and is insane goodness for soloing drops? (i dont know of any such item but you get the point)

..or what about that 1hs with a crappy ratio but 20 AC 50 hp and a bunch of resists that noone wants..it goes pretty good along with your shield for pulling or tanking those caster mobs.

Being an Ogre youre going to be a bit slow on the skill-upping and also at a general casting disadvantage. However, still a good choice cuz you can play the big tank whos got enough spells and smarts to solo, get around, and escape from battle- things a warrior generally doesnt do well.

i was very slow to level up myself. Over the years i spent several levels with each type of weapon as a main. 2hs-1hb-1hs-2hb-1hp-2hp-and back again to 2hs. As was mentioned above before mid 50s the damage from a good ratio 1-hander is going to be close if not as good -just dont bother with any one hand weapon with less than 18 damage.
my pansy crap

"...i fingered it out..." -Kogur tha Ogre

Annastasya
85 High Priestess
Servant of Norrath
MYSPACE
Xiqz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 09:21 AM   #17
Tumy Monster

I cant see what level your SK is cause Im at work and magelo is blocked, but if your not to high yet sink your points into INT, and 5 into AGI. (To get you over that 75 cap thing).

I spent all mine in STA and wish I had put them in INT. Everyone told me that STA was the hardest stat to max ... not true. Its very very easy to max with todays bazaar gear. Int how ever is hard as hell to raid with out loosing major melee stats on gear. There seems to be a shortage of INT items that are "deicient" for a SK. Most +Int items are for the pure int casters and dont have the AC/HP that you will be looking for.

Until you reach the elementals you will have low int. I had 180 for ever with the best bazaar gear. You just cant get it any higher with out sacrificing AC/HP, and at 65 with the 65 life tap, spears, dots you will be OOM before you know it. An extra 20 INT at creation will help you solo at lower levels, and endure long raid encounters at high end game.

Oh, and Cazic Thule rocks =)
Old 01-06-2004, 09:46 AM   #18
Muertissimo

Send a message via AIM to Muertissimo
Actually, I think there's a good deal of intelligence on Ssra/VT level drops (not that you'll be seeing those soon since you just started him and all ). Ornate has decent int on it as well (22 between my BP, legs, and bracer). A good amount of the weapons pre-elemental have int on them, in fact I'd highly recommend seeing if you can snag a Cudgel of Cowardly Death if you know some friends/guilds killing XTC and one's going to rot

To be honest though, my spell casting side didn't get a whole lot of use up until I hit 50 or so. Of course that was a different era back then when were mainly warriors who could snare, self invis, lifetap for a whopping 75 points, and FD on occasion as long as the mob was about 100 yards away to give us plenty of time to get past the fizzles! Even more important skill than any melle skill to get up, Abjuration =p I got fed up one day and decided to max it out if it was the last thing I ever did. 10,000 or so casts of endure disease and resist cold later I passed out in a coma with my eyes dangling out of my head and my hands cringed. But it was maxed whee!

Anywho, good luck on joining the dark side!
Greylords EQ2 too!
Retired member of
Midnight Fury (r.i.p.)

"And I looked, and behold a pale horse. And his name that sat upon him was Death, and Hell followed with him."--Revelation 6:8
"Your greatest creation, is the life you lead."
Muertissimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 04:19 PM   #19
yadaf

muert is good guy even though hes evil
if your high enough get a group and go to sentinents camp in WL (wakening land) their pretty much floating armor.... they have a chance of dropping sentinent armor (high int ok ac and such) good armor ^_^
Old 01-06-2004, 08:40 PM   #20
Azraelwrath

Back in the day, sentient was 300-1000 a pop. Nowdays, it is dirt cheap almost in the crusty armor price range. I spent quite a lot of pp on it to have lots of int for soloing. Nowdays, it is an outdated piece of equipment and I'm sure there are way better sk int items around with better ac and stats.
SOE Interviewer: You're hired.
Azraelwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 09:09 PM   #21
yadaf

ya but when i played, that stuff was like 'uber' lol
Old 01-06-2004, 11:18 PM   #22
shadowedspawn

drop me a line IG Wildane and I'll help w/ any questions I can.

He who laughs alone at night does so in contemplation of his own evil.

"My name and dildos both brought up without my presence.
*tear*
My life's work is complete."
- Fanon sums up his lifes greatest work.
shadowedspawn is offline   Reply With Quote