Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > NON EQ Stuff (Real life, other games, etc.) > Steam Vent


Reply
 
Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2010, 10:23 AM   #1
Wildane
Psychopath w/a conscience
 
Wildane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: The Hospitality State, asshole!
Posts: 10,540
Default Now I've seen it all...

OK, not really, but I've never been this close to religious discrimination.

I was looking at CareerBuilder, because I really hate my job and want to move on. Well, I found a job for which I am perfect, except for one small detail: you have to be a Christian. Now, before I get into it, I realize this is a private college and respect their right to hire who they want. However, in our current economy, is it fair to use one's religious standing as a defining qualification for a job?

I'm not going to start acting the indignant job-searcher, I just found it to be odd. A list of the jobs can be found here (I was going to apply for Server Manager before I read the entire description). One of the referrences you need to supply MUST come from your Senior Pastor, and you must also provide a "Statement of Personal Faith and Its Incorporation in the Christian Higher Education Workplace."

I have to say that I am highly disappointed, as there really aren't many jobs where I am at all, much less ones for which I am such a perfect fit. As I said, I respect their right to hire who they want, it just saddens me that such a requirement is necessary for a tech job. Almost everyone I work with is a Christian, and I have no problems at all working with them.

One more thing worth mentioning is their "Statement of Faith", especially this part:

"We believe the Bible to be the inspired, inerrant, and only infallible, authoritative Word of God, which exercises ultimate authority over the individual, the Church, and human reason."
__________________
"I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth." - Umberto Eco

"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear." - Thomas Jefferson
Wildane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 11:37 AM   #2
Drysdale
RSS Feed
 
Drysdale's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 20,628
The right of free association can suck at times.
__________________
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."
-Robert A. Heinlein

"Thou shalt not steal. Except by majority vote." - Gary North
Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 12:13 PM   #3
Wildane
Psychopath w/a conscience
 
Wildane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: The Hospitality State, asshole!
Posts: 10,540
Yeah, I'm more bummed out than anything. I live in MS, and jobs for which I qualify are few and far between. I've heard that you should go ahead and apply for jobs for which you mean 75% of the qualifications. Maybe I'll try anyway and hope the whole belief in Christ thing isn't a deal-breaker. :P
__________________
"I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth." - Umberto Eco

"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear." - Thomas Jefferson
Wildane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 12:20 PM   #4
Drysdale
RSS Feed
 
Drysdale's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 20,628
You could always lie.

And when they call you on it, explain that you thought they meant Charlie Christ.
__________________
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."
-Robert A. Heinlein

"Thou shalt not steal. Except by majority vote." - Gary North
Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 12:47 PM   #5
Lurikeen
Freaky
 
Lurikeen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 17,873
I have been in a similar position in the not so distant past as a Christian looking for work. If you want to work in the hospitality industry it is a requirement to work on one weekend day. Those starting out are guaranteed to have to work Sundays, which typically means Christians can't attend church Sunday morning if their shift begins in the morning.

I have even seen advertisements for culinary positions where they clearly state that no accommodations will be made for religious practices during mandatory work hours.

As a "Jesus Freak" I don't understand why one has to be a Christian to fill an IT position. If it was a teaching position I could understand, but maintaining servers? That tends to boggle my mind.

As for their statement of faith goes, I don't see why it is worth mentioning given the context of employment. Maybe you could elaborate on your point?
__________________
"All I said was... that bit of halibut is good enough for Jehovah." ŚMonty Python's "Life of Brian"
Lurikeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 01:41 PM   #6
Hormadrune
Sociopathic bully?
 
Hormadrune's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: PA
Posts: 11,895
I don't doubt that it sucks to find a job you're qualified for only to be discriminated against, but at the end of the day, would you really want to work for an organization that has that sort of policy? The odds of you being happy in a place open to this sort of practice are probably pretty low. Sorry to hear it though- I'd certainly be annoyed as well.
__________________
WoW-Ghostlands-US: Prae | Ăs÷p | Prolonix | Horm | Ulfhednar | Ă÷l´
EQ: Hormadrune <Retired> <OFS> <CoI> <Affy> <CE>
Hormadrune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 04:06 AM   #7
Wildane
Psychopath w/a conscience
 
Wildane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: The Hospitality State, asshole!
Posts: 10,540
Originally Posted by Lurikeen View Post
As for their statement of faith goes, I don't see why it is worth mentioning given the context of employment. Maybe you could elaborate on your point?
I just thought it was funny to see the Bible as the ultimate authority over human reason, as if the two are incompatible (which, to me, they are). You might as well say "As unreasonable as it may sound, the Bible is the ultimate authority." I just thought it was funny.

As far as being happy there, I think I could manage it. Keep in mind, I live in the buckle of the Bible Belt, so being innundated to the Christian religion is something I'm used to and can deal with. My mother is a devout Christian, which really makes it hard sometimes. For instance, if I tell her about a problem I'm having, her solution always involves "turning it over to God" (she doesn't know I'm a non-believer), which never solves anything in my opinion. I need real advice from someone older and wiser, and that is what I get. I love my mother dearly, but that gets frustrating, lemme tell ya.

I think I could do well in that environment. I may just apply for it anyway, and my statement of faith could include something about my faith in the American dream, where people from all walks of life can thrive together, regardless of their personal beliefs. You know, just be creative.
__________________
"I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth." - Umberto Eco

"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear." - Thomas Jefferson
Wildane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 04:30 AM   #8
Davek
Squawk Box
 
Davek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Ini is the wind beneath my wings.
Posts: 7,987
Originally Posted by Wildane View Post
I'm not going to start acting the indignant job-searcher, I just found it to be odd. A list of the jobs can be found here (I was going to apply for Server Manager before I read the entire description). One of the referrences you need to supply MUST come from your Senior Pastor, and you must also provide a "Statement of Personal Faith and Its Incorporation in the Christian Higher Education Workplace."
Maybe it's actually a statement on their equipment? It's possible that the Server Manager must know how to pray to that specific god really well to keep things running?
__________________
Davek Bonemender ~ Guild Leader of Sunrunners ~
~ Retired with 8 years of service ~
~ Semi-unretired 2012 ~

Man that just rolls off the tongue nicely.

Originally Posted by Karthanon View Post
I know, you're in Ottawa, Davek. Still, I can't help but /poke you.
Originally Posted by Drysdale View Post
And you wonder why I don't play nice with you? You leave my man buttons alone.. Those are Davek's.
Davek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 04:40 AM   #9
Wildane
Psychopath w/a conscience
 
Wildane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: The Hospitality State, asshole!
Posts: 10,540
Originally Posted by Davek View Post
Maybe it's actually a statement on their equipment? It's possible that the Server Manager must know how to pray to that specific god really well to keep things running?
That can't be it. I work in the public sector now, and that's a private college. I'm guessing their equipment is better than mine. :P
__________________
"I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth." - Umberto Eco

"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear." - Thomas Jefferson
Wildane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 05:25 AM   #10
FafnerMorell
Warrior 4 the working-day
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 4,629
It would be kind of a fun joke to play on a new hire: take them into the server room and show them a computer bathed in blue LED light and say "when maintaining this server, do not attempt to use mere human reason. All information about it can be found in the manual, and this manual is infallible and inerrant". Then hand them the Book of Revelations.
__________________
Fafner Wabbitslayer, Retired Shaman of Reviction, Erollisi Marr/Morell Thule
"This story shall the good man teach his son;...
From this day to the ending of the world,"
-- William Shakespeare, Henvy V, Act 4, Scene 3
FafnerMorell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 08:54 AM   #11
Lurikeen
Freaky
 
Lurikeen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 17,873
Originally Posted by Wildane View Post
I just thought it was funny to see the Bible as the ultimate authority over human reason, as if the two are incompatible (which, to me, they are). You might as well say "As unreasonable as it may sound, the Bible is the ultimate authority." I just thought it was funny.
Actually the two aren't "incompatible" and God's word being the "ultimate authority over human reason" follows from logical reasoning. Namely, if God exists and the bible is His word, then His word is the final word and not our own. Obviously if a person doesn't believe God exists or doesn't believe the bible is God's word, then they will not accept such reasoning. But it would be a mistake to think such a view is unreasonable, because it is not.
__________________
"All I said was... that bit of halibut is good enough for Jehovah." ŚMonty Python's "Life of Brian"
Lurikeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 08:58 AM   #12
Hormadrune
Sociopathic bully?
 
Hormadrune's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: PA
Posts: 11,895
I can make a sandwich and say it tastes delicious. That doesn't mean it won't taste terrible to you. Even if I am the god of sandwich-making (which I am).

I'm microwaving steak now.
__________________
WoW-Ghostlands-US: Prae | Ăs÷p | Prolonix | Horm | Ulfhednar | Ă÷l´
EQ: Hormadrune <Retired> <OFS> <CoI> <Affy> <CE>
Hormadrune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 09:15 AM   #13
Drysdale
RSS Feed
 
Drysdale's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 20,628
Originally Posted by Hormadrune View Post
I can make a sandwich and say it tastes delicious. That doesn't mean it won't taste terrible to you. Even if I am the god of sandwich-making (which I am).

I'm microwaving steak now.
You don't have the skills to microwave a steak. Stick to your grill, charcoal-boy!
__________________
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."
-Robert A. Heinlein

"Thou shalt not steal. Except by majority vote." - Gary North
Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 09:26 AM   #14
Lurikeen
Freaky
 
Lurikeen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 17,873
Originally Posted by Hormadrune View Post
I'm microwaving steak now.
There is no need to blaspheme.
__________________
"All I said was... that bit of halibut is good enough for Jehovah." ŚMonty Python's "Life of Brian"
Lurikeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 11:19 AM   #15
Drysdale
RSS Feed
 
Drysdale's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 20,628
Originally Posted by Lurikeen View Post
There is no need to blaspheme.
I finished off a steak in the oven the other day, btw... It was tender & juicy, just like Bobby Flay told me it would be!
__________________
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."
-Robert A. Heinlein

"Thou shalt not steal. Except by majority vote." - Gary North
Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 11:46 AM   #16
Lurikeen
Freaky
 
Lurikeen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 17,873
Good for you, Drys! I cooked a steak under the broiler the other day that was really tasty. A few days before that I seared a steak in a cast iron skillet (stove top) that was perfectly cooked.

Can I have a cookie now?

__________________
"All I said was... that bit of halibut is good enough for Jehovah." ŚMonty Python's "Life of Brian"
Lurikeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 12:04 PM   #17
Wildane
Psychopath w/a conscience
 
Wildane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: The Hospitality State, asshole!
Posts: 10,540
Y'all quit trying to beat each other's meat.
__________________
"I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth." - Umberto Eco

"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear." - Thomas Jefferson
Wildane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 12:19 PM   #18
Hormadrune
Sociopathic bully?
 
Hormadrune's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: PA
Posts: 11,895
Sous-vide mofos!
__________________
WoW-Ghostlands-US: Prae | Ăs÷p | Prolonix | Horm | Ulfhednar | Ă÷l´
EQ: Hormadrune <Retired> <OFS> <CoI> <Affy> <CE>
Hormadrune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 01:12 PM   #19
Drysdale
RSS Feed
 
Drysdale's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 20,628
Originally Posted by Lurikeen View Post
Good for you, Drys! I cooked a steak under the broiler the other day that was really tasty. A few days before that I seared a steak in a cast iron skillet (stove top) that was perfectly cooked.

Can I have a cookie now?

Hey, from the guy who swore that cooking a steak in the oven was just plain lazy, and would certainly result in an overcooked steak, that's real progress! Gratz!
__________________
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."
-Robert A. Heinlein

"Thou shalt not steal. Except by majority vote." - Gary North

Last edited by Drysdale; 04-28-2010 at 01:17 PM.
Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 01:18 PM   #20
Drysdale
RSS Feed
 
Drysdale's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 20,628
Originally Posted by Wildane View Post
Y'all quit trying to beat each other's meat.
You're just jealous that we aren't beating YOUR soy-based alternative!
__________________
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."
-Robert A. Heinlein

"Thou shalt not steal. Except by majority vote." - Gary North
Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 01:32 PM   #21
Lurikeen
Freaky
 
Lurikeen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 17,873
Originally Posted by Drysdale View Post
Hey, from the guy who swore that cooking a steak in the oven was just plain lazy, and would certainly result in an overcooked steak, that's real progress! Gratz!
It is lazy... but who said I wasn't?
__________________
"All I said was... that bit of halibut is good enough for Jehovah." ŚMonty Python's "Life of Brian"
Lurikeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 03:05 PM   #22
Jim257
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Fremont CA
Posts: 72
Originally Posted by Hormadrune View Post
I can make a sandwich and say it tastes delicious. That doesn't mean it won't taste terrible to you. Even if I am the god of sandwich-making (which I am).
Nice
Jim257 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 03:19 PM   #23
Jim257
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Fremont CA
Posts: 72
I will say I agree with their request even though I'm the opposite of a Jesus freak, I am very spiritual but my relation ship with GOD is private
Some time back I read an article about a Church that had an IT person running their site, maintaining servers and administered some kind of mainframe data base. Long story short, dude skipped out on them and they had no Admin passwords and lost their whole data base and financial records
Jim257 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 03:26 PM   #24
Lurikeen
Freaky
 
Lurikeen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 17,873
Originally Posted by Jim257 View Post
I will say I agree with their request even though I'm the opposite of a Jesus freak, I am very spiritual but my relation ship with GOD is private
Too late. You just made your relationship public. That has to suck that it isn't private anymore.
__________________
"All I said was... that bit of halibut is good enough for Jehovah." ŚMonty Python's "Life of Brian"
Lurikeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 05:02 AM   #25
Wildane
Psychopath w/a conscience
 
Wildane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: The Hospitality State, asshole!
Posts: 10,540
Originally Posted by Drysdale View Post
You're just jealous that we aren't beating YOUR soy-based alternative!
Hey, is that Silk in your hair or am I just happy to see you?
__________________
"I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth." - Umberto Eco

"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear." - Thomas Jefferson
Wildane is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:18 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.