September 14, 2004
-------------------

Headlines
-------------------
Omens of War is live!
New Teleportation Spells to Barindu.
Just me and my shadooooow!
Reflective Water?
Register now for the New Orleans Fan Faire.

Omens of War
-------------------
Explore the war torn lands of Kuua and reap the benefits of new AAs, spells and items including the new, powerful, Epic 2.0. Lush new areas, filled with beautiful creatures and vibrant, living landscapes await you at every turn. We hope you enjoy all that EverQuest: Omens of War brings to the game.

Travel to the Omens Zones
-------------------
The Priests of Discord in Norrath believe they have been granted a gift. A unique knowledge has been bestowed upon them which they believe was granted as a reward for preaching the way of Discord. That gift, they claim, is the knowledge of a way to a world that is enveloped by Discord itself -- an ethereal poison that wreaks havoc and strife upon all it touches.

Speak to a Priest of Discord to learn how to enter the World of Kuua.

The Task System
-------------------
Only have a short time to play or are you waiting for a group or raid? Immerse yourself in a Task. You can find Task Masters all over Norrath. They can be found in most home cities as well as in places like the East Commonlands, the Butcherblock Mountains, Toxxulia Forest and the Swamp of No Hope. For the more daring individuals, the most challenging tasks can be found by speaking with Task Masters in the Dreadlands and the Overthere.

You can open the task window by hitting Alt+Q and start enjoying this new game-play style and enhancement to the EverQuest experience.

Be mindful of turning in task items in stacks, as with all quests in EQ, please seperate the items before turning them in for a reward.

Epic Weapons 2.0
-------------------
Will you be the first of your class to earn these powerful new items?

Guild Tribute
-------------------
Omens of War expansion brings a new Guild Tribute system. This system will allow guild members to donate items/cash for Tribute points, and allow officers to select benefits that the entire guild will receive, deducting the cost from the guild’s tribute pool.

Guild Tribute is an extension of the tribute system introduced in Gates of Discord and purchasers of either expansion, will be able to reap the new benefits.

Retail Claim Item
-------------------
Those of you who purchased the retail version of EverQuest: Omens of War will need to use the /claim command in-game to receive your in-game items. Enjoy!

Select your title
-------------------
You can hit Shift+T to bring up the new Title selection UI which will allow you to choose from the titles you have earned, through AAs, levels or accomplishments, to be shown with your character name in-game.

Voice Macros
-------------------
Using Ctrl+V will bring up the new Voice Macro UI. There you will see a list of available voice macros as well as the options of Play, Tell, Group and Raid. Selecting a macro and play will play the macro for you only. Selecting a macro and using one of the other options will send the voice macro to either a tell (using the person you have targeted as the recipient), group or raid.

To create your own voice macros, make a sound file using the same name as one of the existing voice macros, which can be found in your EverQuest>Voice>Default directory and place it in your EverQuest>Voice>User directory.

You can create hot keys of your favorite Voice Macros by selecting the macro you would like and clicking and holding on the Tell, Raid or Group button until the icon appears on your cursor.

We hope you enjoy this new way to immerse yourself into the EverQuest experience.

New Spell Slot
-------------------
For the first time in EQ, you can open up a new spell slot by learning the Mnemonic Retention AA ability. 9 Spell slots! Wow, Why I remember in the early days of EQ, we only had 8 spell slots and we liked it. We cast spells all day, going uphill both ways. You whippersnappers have it easy =)

More Buff Slots
-------------------
If you find that you need more room for beneficial buffs on your character, activate the Mystical Attuning AA and open up more room in your buff slot window.

Improved Customization for Graphics
-------------------
-There are now 3 sets of options (Spell, Environment, and Actor). All 3 sets have similar options that affect each type of particle. These options allow for more customization when setting up your display and filters.

-An "advanced" button has been added under the display tab in the options window. This will allow you to toggle some of the new settings, for our new customizable graphics and effects. You will most likely need to expand the options window to see the new Advanced button.

- Shadows; Toggles the new dynamic shadows.
- Water Swap*: Switches between old style water, and new reflective water the next time you zone.
- 2.X Pixel Shaders: Toggles the use of pixel shaders 2.0.
- 1.X Pixel Shaders: Toggles the use of pixel shaders 1.0.
- Vertex Shaders: Toggles the use of vertex shaders.
- Sky Reflection Type*: Set to Static to use a preset reflection or Dynamic to have the sky reflected on the water.
- Dynamic Update Interval: Control the CPU costs of the dynamic reflection by adjusting how often to update the reflection texture
- Dynamic Sky Reflection Size*: Allows you to control how large the reflection texture is.
(The * indicates a setting that will take effect next time you zone).

- You can now see real time shadows within the world of Norrath. Use the shadows option in options>Display>advanced to turn them off and on. Now, even when soloing, you will never be alone. Those of you with older video cards may have some performance issues when attempting to use shadows. If your machine does not meet the recommended system specifications, we suggest that you play with shadows off.

- Enjoy sunsets and moonrises viewed above EverQuest's new reflective water which is available for everyone, wherever there is static water, e.g. Oceans, seas and lakes. You can toggle the new water shaders on and off using the Water Swap button, under options>display>advanced.

Zoning Screen
-------------------
When zoning, you will now see the loading splash screen. You have not crashed, do not be alarmed.

New Improved Particles
-------------------
-You will now be affected by the environment around you, be sure to check out these effects especially under water, in frigid weather, dry climates and upon death.

You have been knocked unconcious!
You have been slain by a door!
Returning to home point, please wait...
LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
Langree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 05:13 AM   #2
Langree

Send a message via AIM to Langree
Spells
-------------------
- Clerics Symbol and Aegolism spell lines no longer require reagents.
- Necromancer pets will no longer require peridots.
- The beastlord spell, Tureptan Spirit, now has a healing component.
- New transportation spells are available in the Abysmal Sea. Check with your transportation spell contact for more information.
- Bard PBAoE spells will no longer damage targets that are moving, however any other spell effects from the PBAoE spell will still be applied to the targets as usual.
- Beneficial spells can now be used in the EverQuest tutorial.

Skill Cap Changes
-------------------
- Piercing now caps at 250 at level 60 for warriors, rangers and beastlords.
- 1h Blunt and 2h Blunt now cap at 250 at level 60 for beastlords

Items
-------------------
- The Timespinner pet will no longer cast spells.
- The Dagger of Death has had its AC value reduced.
- Some of the new Omens of War items will now display an "Attunable" attribute, which means that they can be traded freely until they are equipped or augmented. Attunable augments will become no-drop flagged when added to an augment slot, attunable items will become no-drop when equipped. You will not be able to auto-equip an attunable item that has not been attuned to your character. Please be mindful of the new Attunable flag before equipping or augmenting new items.

Alternate Advancement Abilities
-------------------
- Berserkers have received some new AAs. This should bring their AA selection up to par with comparable melee classes.
- Added the ability for shadow knights to train the Gates of Discord ability Improved Theft of Life and the Planes of Power ability Suspended Minion.
- The healing wards that priests can summon using their Gates of Discord AAs are now immune to most spells.
- Lowered the reuse time on the Magician ability Host of the Elements to 15 minutes.
- Added the ability to train Quick Damage to Magicians as a Luclin Class ability.
- Increased the critical hit chance for the Wizard Gates of Discord AA Frenzied Devastation.

Fan Faire
-------------------
We are proud to announce the Halloween, New Orleans Fan Faire! The event dates are October 28-30, 2004, and space is going fast! The last day to guarantee your spot by pre-registering is October 11th. For more information, please go to http://everquest.station.sony.com/fanfaire/ See you in New Orleans!

UI Changes
-------------------
The following XML files are new or have been modified:

- EQUI_Animations.xml
- EQUI_BuffWindow.xml
- EQUI_CastSpellWnd.xml
- EQUI_DynamicZoneWnd.xml
- EQUI_GuildManagementWnd.xml
- EQUI_GuildTributeMasterWnd.xml
- EQUI_OptionsWindow.xml
- EQUI_TaskSelectWnd.xml
- EQUI_TaskWnd.xml
- EQUI_TitleWnd.xml
- EQUI_TributeBenefitWnd.xml
- EQUI_VoiceMacroWnd.xml
- EQUI.xml
- EQUI_AAWindow.xml
- EQUI_AdvancedDisplayOptionsWnd.xml

-- The EverQuest Team

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
Old 09-14-2004, 05:20 AM   #3
Caoilfhionn
Erotic, exotic & a little psychotic

Send a message via ICQ to Caoilfhionn Send a message via MSN to Caoilfhionn
Let me be the first to say that the new voices (shades of WoW) are possibly the most horrible thing ever done to EQ.

Cod found them last night, and in the beta managed to link them together to create possibly the most annoying sound I've ever heard in my entire life.

If you can't turn them off or get rid of them, this may very well be the last EQ straw for me.

Ugh.

/shudder.
Caoilfhionn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 05:28 AM   #4
Davek
Squawk Box

Zoning Screen
-------------------
When zoning, you will now see the loading splash screen. You have not crashed, do not be alarmed.
Why would they do that? I thought they were trying to make the game MORE immersive...not less???

Clerics Symbol and Aegolism spell lines no longer require reagents.
Hmmm...is this for real???? It's not really that big of a deal but I can free up some bag slots from my several stacks of peridots.

Man that just rolls off the tongue nicely.

Originally Posted by Karthanon View Post
I know, you're in Ottawa, Davek. Still, I can't help but /poke you.
Originally Posted by Drysdale View Post
And you wonder why I don't play nice with you? You leave my man buttons alone.. Those are Davek's.
Davek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 05:54 AM   #5
Codsan
The Codfather

I am firmly convinced that these fucking people (SOE) have snapped.

Lets look at the "WoW has chunks of us in it's stool" patch:

Voice Macros
-------------------
Using Ctrl+V will bring up the new Voice Macro UI. There you will see a list of available voice macros as well as the options of Play, Tell, Group and Raid. Selecting a macro and play will play the macro for you only. Selecting a macro and using one of the other options will send the voice macro to either a tell (using the person you have targeted as the recipient), group or raid.
Straight out of WoW, except in WoW it doesn't have a fraction of the infathomable gayness and potential for mass annoyance that these do. Notice that all of the female sounds are performed by the same woman simply altering the inflection of her voice for the different races. Notice how you can hotkey them and send them in tells. Now tell me what kind of fucking retards would put the software version of jabbing a fork into your eye into a game?
What will really chap my ass is if they insist on reinstalling them after I delete the whole lot of them.

Improved Customization for Graphics
<snip>
Quite possibly the nicest upgrade of the patch but you'd better remember to turn off shadows before you raid or go to the OoW zones. I've never seen my framerate tank the way it did when I walked into Wall of Slaughter with all that eye candy turned on.

- Some of the new Omens of War items will now display an "Attunable" attribute, which means that they can be traded freely until they are equipped or augmented. Attunable augments will become no-drop flagged when added to an augment slot, attunable items will become no-drop when equipped. You will not be able to auto-equip an attunable item that has not been attuned to your character. Please be mindful of the new Attunable flag before equipping or augmenting new items.
Straight ripped out of WoW. Can't give them credit for elegantly fixing something it took you five fucking years to figure out can you?

The Task System
-------------------
Only have a short time to play or are you waiting for a group or raid? Immerse yourself in a Task. You can find Task Masters all over Norrath
You'll know when you find a task master because they'll have a gold exclamation point floating over their head..
Codsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 06:05 AM   #6
myzterys

No regents for clerics and necro's now thats a kickass patch message to see

Myzzy D'Shantain

Now why did ya go off and die again, I was just about to heal ya.
myzterys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 06:24 AM   #7
Langree

Send a message via AIM to Langree
Originally Posted by myzterys
No regents for clerics and necro's now thats a kickass patch message to see

There's gotta be a catch.

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
Old 09-14-2004, 06:30 AM   #8
Ice Weasel X
Banned User

Send a message via AIM to Ice Weasel X
Yeah, it now costs a jasper to cast a heal.
Old 09-14-2004, 06:34 AM   #9
myzterys

Hehe, nahh im sure its on the up and up, atleast it better be . maybe its true and they are finally listening to us and what we want out of the game

Myzzy D'Shantain

Now why did ya go off and die again, I was just about to heal ya.
myzterys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 06:37 AM   #10
Nosfy

Time for clerics to change their "virtue" message for POK

Seriously. I tried to buy OOW from Sony online shop, but no way to do it yesterday and this morning (Europe morning). Anyone found a way around? Or got a better link?
Nosfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 06:43 AM   #11
Misty
Do Not Disturb

Default following the advisement of Cods and Cao (re:Voice macros)

Delete everything in Everquest\Voice\Default directory, they're all macros. Okay I can do that. I'm thinking 'canned bark' - same recording played every time my Ranger's primary weapon cycles a swing while he's in Wolf form. I'm thinking default voice macros = terrible slim selection of ole scratchy 45's from bad recording artists.

Get tired of that same old recorded 'bark' just in the lifetime of a single melee encounter. I won't get rid of that coz it's not 'deathly' tiring and has a certain EQ charm. But I don't want something new and alien which potentially will prove deathly tiring in the form of default voice macro spam.
"*blink* *blink* *blink*
*bliiiink* *bliiiink* *bliiiink*
*blink* *blink* *blink*
[fixt]

Mistyglen 68 Half Elf StormWarden (retired)
ex-Mystic Blue, ex-Sundered Heart, ex-Heart of Fenris
Redback's stuff
Redback 72 WoodElf Ranger (Lucid Devotion)

Last edited by Misty; 09-14-2004 at 06:47 AM. Reason: clarification of the post
Misty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 06:46 AM   #12
Davek
Squawk Box

Seriously. I tried to buy OOW from Sony online shop, but no way to do it yesterday and this morning (Europe morning). Anyone found a way around? Or got a better link?
I did it the other day by loading EQ, going into Account Options. You can buy from there. I even broke down and bought GoD at the same time...although I'll probably never use most of it...but who knows.

Man that just rolls off the tongue nicely.

Originally Posted by Karthanon View Post
I know, you're in Ottawa, Davek. Still, I can't help but /poke you.
Originally Posted by Drysdale View Post
And you wonder why I don't play nice with you? You leave my man buttons alone.. Those are Davek's.
Davek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 07:17 AM   #13
Noprobs

Nos,

I cant buy it online atm either. If you click the link for OoW on Station.Sony it takes you to a page encouraging you to buy EQ2...

I'm guessing they've removed the online purchase/download function during the patch... Well I hope that's the case anyway.

On the peridot issue, more for encs now!

Nop)
Noprobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 07:22 AM   #14
Fawnii

GoD is worth it for leadership AA's alone.

Also I fgound much to my delight a zone I never encountered on Emarr. Forgotten Halls. Its like LDoN but with no "goal". You can solo it, its instanced and the mobs are within 5 levels of your level.

What may seem trivial to most, is a GODSEND on Sullon Zek. My ranger is level 40 now, Cleric is 40, Druid is 38. With this group i can start a expadition, and group for 6 hours without fear of 65's killing me for giggles.

Another good idea too is to have someone a few levels higher make the zone, zone in then invite the rest. for a group of 38-43 we had a 46 make the zone.

The mobs were all level 39-45 so the XP was great. Granted the rats in there are annoying as hell. They dont just squeak during combat, they have a proximity squeek that can drive ya nuts. However its GoD xp so it moves fast.

To get there is easy. In Nedaria's Landing open your map, the bottom most pier has a man standing on it. Hes an elf but i cannot recall his name. Do the whole [talk] thing with him. Then head North East to the bear caves. There one of them funny GoD tatoo'd glowy chicks there. You can talk to her if your into Lore, or just click on the rock there.

some commands are

/dzhelp
/dzadd (player name)

you can add people into the expadition no matter where they are. They dont even have to be in the group.

Have fun with that little tid-bit =)

/hugs from Sullon Zek
Fawnii
Old 09-14-2004, 07:30 AM   #15
Luky

- Clerics Symbol and Aegolism spell lines no longer require reagents
This is awesome!

However, it still costs mana. I predict that people will still donate for a cleric taking their time to buff. After all, I pay other classes for mana only buffs.... however, it will at least make it a true donation thing, and might I say - I wont fricking be poor anymore woot!
Old 09-14-2004, 07:31 AM   #16
Nosfy

Originally Posted by Noprobs
Nos,

I cant buy it online atm either. If you click the link for OoW on Station.Sony it takes you to a page encouraging you to buy EQ2...

I'm guessing they've removed the online purchase/download function during the patch... Well I hope that's the case anyway.
Thanks for the info Nop. Hope to get it to work this evening.
Old 09-14-2004, 07:48 AM   #17
Xerion

Now that ya said it, I'm gonna go make some orgasm voice macros!!
Xerion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 08:03 AM   #18
Nosfy

Found that on the official forums:

"The Online store will always go down while expansions transitions from Pre-Order to Order. The store will be open again at 9 AM PST."

Means 6pm GMT and 8pm CET.
Old 09-14-2004, 08:11 AM   #19
Dazzler Twodirks

Ctrl V to open the voice macro box then choose MUTE.

You don't have to listen to them and yes a lot of them are like nails on chalkboard.

Wood Elf female sounds like Minnie Mouse on helium.

Dazzler's Shtuff
Dazzler Twodirks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 08:12 AM   #20
Noprobs

Nice one Nos.

Nop)
Noprobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 08:35 AM   #21
Culpa

promising patch! gotta love the new tasks system
Culpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 09:11 AM   #22
Coajik

Send a message via AIM to Coajik Send a message via Yahoo to Coajik
I get so fucking sick of hearing A_disgruntled_reject01 complaining about how "they ripped this off from this game"....and "they ripped this off from that game."...."gameblahblah02 is so much better than EQ".

Who fucking cares? If you are that upset about it, cancel your fucking subscription, save 12.95/mo., do us all a favor and go bitch somewhere else.

Voice macros = bad idea unless there is going to be an option to turn them off. (Which apparently there is)This is just what we need, someone like Sandmam who can barely put together a coherent sentence in english to start out with.......spamming those annoying voices over tells, groups, etc.

Reagentless buffs/pets = Excellent

Hooray for Improved Theft of Life, and grats to wizards..that damned Gates AA was gimp. I can't wait to see what this taskmaster questing will yield as far as XP goes. I'd be curious.

Pre-Congrats to those who hit 70 first and achieve the Epic 2.0. I look forward to seeing them linked so that the rest of us can drool over them.

"Messing with a NASCAR fan is like messing with a Bakersfield chimp." ~ Ted Bosell -- The Phil Hendrie Show
Coajik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 09:29 AM   #23
Ziagwa

Send a message via AIM to Ziagwa Send a message via MSN to Ziagwa
Originally Posted by Coajik
Voice macros = bad idea unless there is going to be an option to turn them off. (Which apparently there is)This is just what we need, someone like Sandmam who can barely put together a coherent sentence in english to start out with.......spamming those annoying voices over tells, groups, etc.
Pray you won't be in my group. If I'm tanking then I will be spamming Heal me macro every 5seconds!

CANT WAIT
Old 09-14-2004, 09:33 AM   #24
Coajik

Send a message via AIM to Coajik Send a message via Yahoo to Coajik
I'm gunna use Samuel L. Jackson's:

"English muthafucka! DO YOU SPEAK IT?!"

For a custom one.

I wonder how many times we're gunna have to hear "I'm Rick James, bitch." before I mute it.

"Messing with a NASCAR fan is like messing with a Bakersfield chimp." ~ Ted Bosell -- The Phil Hendrie Show
Coajik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 09:35 AM   #25
Flitzer

As far as Task exp goes...

-Taken from The Safehouse:

The tasks I tried were much, much easier as a tracker (ranger/druid/bard) and/or caster than a melee (go figure). However, the rewards (xp and pp) were much worse than one of the aforementioned classes could get kiting normal xp mobs, so I don't expect to see many of them taking advantage of it.
We'll see...
/shrug
Flitzer is offline   Reply With Quote