Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > NON EQ Stuff (Real life, other games, etc.) > Technical Related

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2003, 01:48 AM   #1
cnjmorris

Default Site design advice.... (code)

Okay, I know this is a strange question, but here goes.

I have a site with lots of pages, and its only going to get worse. So I am trying to keep things as simple as possible.

I am using an "include" to add copyright info and navigation to the bottom of each page.

I just had to go through and manually change the include on each because I renamed and moved the include file.

I am wondering if there is a better way. I thought of an include file that has variables that contain hard coded paths. For example:

<%
Dim strUpdatedPath
strUpdatedPath = "http://www.mysite.com/quiz/update.asp"
Dim strBackGround
strBackGround = "http://www.mysite.com/images/back_main.gif"
%>

Yes, I know that CSS is better for things like imaging, was just an example.

So, this might help eliminate some problems, but of course the funny part would be if I ever had to rename or move this file.

I'm new to web design, so I don't forsee a lot of problems that I would with experience. For instance I used a lot of .htm files and later decided I wanted all .asp (because it was easier to find the files when working). I had to go back and rename, change links, etc...

So, the question is... should I just assume I won't run into these mistakes now that I know better (its worked over the last few days) or is it normal for people to do path variables or some other method I don't know of?

Catcen, Level 65 Beastlord.

Newbie for life.
cnjmorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2003, 09:32 AM   #2
Nire

Send a message via AIM to Nire Send a message via MSN to Nire
Hey man, I would look into learning PHP, or using a php package (if your format would fit in it)

That makes things very easy to scale to whatever size you want. We use PHP-Nuke for daveandalice.com and it works very well.
Old 08-29-2003, 11:41 AM   #3
cnjmorris

Sorry, I keep forgetting to add to each post that I have no desire to use anything except vbscript and .asp

I am not just trying to make a site, I am trying to learn .asp and vbscript methods while doing it.

I do appreciate the help, I'm sorry I keep forgetting to preface posts with that.

Newbie for life.
Old 08-29-2003, 12:42 PM   #4
Nire

ahhh...that makes more sense.

What made you choose asp? If you don't mind me askin'
Old 08-29-2003, 01:11 PM   #5
cnjmorris

I chose .asp because I intend to stick with microsoft products.

I picked up visual basic 5 years ago and have had fun with it ever since. I own Visual Studio .Net now, including ASP .Net but haven't had the time to get into it much (and my host charges and extra $100/year for .Net support).

I thought that I was just being loyal to what I am familiar with but recently my feelings were lent some support by my uncle.

He works for a large company, I say large meaning everyone reading this board hears their name every day at least once. He names his salary, and they gladly give it to him. He is very very intelligent, being at one time a chess champion able to play multiple games at one time, not on boards mind you but verbally with other scary smart people. Microsoft, Novell, and dozens of companies come to him and talk about the future of software and hardware. I don't say all that to brag, heh, I have seen him probably 20 times in my whole life, and I got none of his brains.

I say all that to say I trust his judgement and he advised me after talking to him, to specialize in VS.net and C#. He claims that will keep me well employed for the next 20 years (he also advised me not to go into straight programming but thats another story).

I am not basing all my decisions on what he said, I already felt that way, was just happy to have some positive support of the practical value of doing it.

And that, is way more than you wanted to know about why I chose .asp

Newbie for life.
Old 08-29-2003, 02:20 PM   #6
Nire

Well, it's true a a good percentage of "enterprise" level business are using microsoft products. I'd bet that will change in the next 10 - 15 years though. Governments and businesses are already starting to switch to lunix.
Old 08-29-2003, 10:37 PM   #7
Martigan
Supporter

Send a message via AIM to Martigan
If you have a file that sets session variables, set the reference there. If you ever have to change the path or filename, change it in one place.

<%
Session("COPYRIGHT_PATH")=<path to copyright file>
%>
Martigan is offline   Reply With Quote