Erollisi Marr - The Nameless

Go Back   Erollisi Marr - The Nameless > NON EQ Stuff (Real life, other games, etc.) > Technical Related

Add/Share Add/Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2003, 01:48 AM   #1
Kerryn

Default Reduced Cost/Free Hosting Option?

I'm about to purchase a domain this week for a web site that I need to host. Unfortunately I've had to can most of my ideas since I lacked the coding skills for asp, php and couldn't really figure out how to use the available software which is very user unfriendly.

I'd have loved a calendar, and a forum but I can't see it happening.

Anyway the site would be small, and I don't anticipate the bandwidth would be very high but I do feel the guild has to have a presence on the web.

For that reason I'm loathe to pay the exorbitant costs for hosting over here which all cater to higher bandwidth needs. If anyone can come up with a low cost, low to medium bandwidth option I'd love to hear it.
Kerryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 03:44 AM   #2
Deviator

I have used Interland since '98 to host my sites but lately they have dropped the ball. They increased their prices and really screwed me over on the billing of my clients and security of my account. I switched to iPowerWeb.com and they have been pretty good, less than half what I pay at Interland and more features.

500mb storage
30gb transfer
300 email accounts
Free stuff:
Message Board (phpBB)
Shopping Carts (3 types - flat file storage, mysql storage, and one specifically for paypal)
Chat (phpMyChat)
Guestbook
Counter
phpNuke
GnuPG encryption
3 Databases (board, chat, and cart each take a database if you set them up)
...lots more.

The main thing I like about iPowerWeb features is that it is only $7.95 a month if you pay a year at a time and if you need extra databases it is only $10 one time fee for each extra one you need. Interland was going to charge something like $60 a month for hosting one database on their server (cheaper if I hosted the actual data), and I couldn't see myself paying that much for it. All IPW databases are on their server and they have a VERY nice MySQL control panel, beats the old command prompt method anyday.

The phpBB is much better than EZBoard imo. Not so sure about how it compares to vBulletin since I have no admin experience with it, but hey, phpBB is free, and there are lots of mods and themes you can download for it, and it has lots of security options.

When I first started with IPW, they had a 6mb storage limit per mailbox, now it is 50mb. There was a period where I had some downtime, like 3 times in 2 weeks, but seems they had massive hardware failure on my server and since it was fixed, I have not had any other problems at all.

There are alot of cheap hosting solutions out there, so look around, but I really like this one so far. Before I switched, I called a few of the cheaper ones up that met my needs for database hosting and talked to their tech support reps. IPW had by far the most informed techs of the ones I talked to. I called HostPro and the lady I spoke with hardly knew a word of English. About the only words she knew were "I'm not sure" and that wasn't going to cut it with me. If you do not know, then you can't help me and I need to go elsewhere.

Anyway, hope you find a good one, and keep iPowerWeb in mind if it fits what you are looking for. Here is a list I found of some of the more popular low cost hosting solutions:

http://www.davesite.com/webstation/h...in.shtml#hosts
Deviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 03:45 AM   #3
TheClericBanton

Send a message via AIM to TheClericBanton Send a message via Yahoo to TheClericBanton
How much space you need? I can possibly provide you it for free....
[EGBT]|MaguS| - [EGBT]
Click Here for a FREE Ipod!
TheClericBanton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 01:47 AM   #4
Kerryn

I don't envision the site itself ever being more then 2mb. The board, ..Well I have no idea.

E-mail hosting..no clue either.
Old 08-24-2003, 11:14 PM   #5
Undarr Ground
Banned User

Send a message via ICQ to Undarr Ground Send a message via AIM to Undarr Ground Send a message via Yahoo to Undarr Ground
http://webhostingtalk.com - Free/Sponsored hosting forum.

I posted in there for a free 1gig space, and 25gb bandwith for a warez site and got like a kajillion people who posted back! But the ones that posted back said they would give it to me, but didn't want any warez lol.

Good stuff there. Prolly need to add a banner to your site though.
Undarr Ground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2003, 12:03 AM   #6
Aaniudari

Kerryn,

For hosting check out www.hostsupreme.co.uk, reasonably cheap and supports a whole range of software.

For software, check out www.phpnuke.org this is a complete website system ( Freeware ) which you can customise as your skills increases. It includes Forums, Member Lists, News etc out of the box and uses a modular design so there are tons of other module to download and install ( Like Calendar ). You can get a basic site up and running within a hour or so of downloading the software and installing it.
Aaniudari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2003, 07:38 AM   #7
Nire

Send a message via AIM to Nire Send a message via MSN to Nire
I'd stay away from Ipower web, if you going to go with a paid host. They pack over 2000 website per server.

Webhostingtalk.com is the flea market of the web hosting world. You'll definately be able to find someone who will give you enough storage and transfer to do a forum in addition to your site. Just keep a backup handy (a large percentage of the hosts there go belly up within a year)
Old 08-25-2003, 08:03 AM   #8
Undarr Ground
Banned User

Send a message via ICQ to Undarr Ground Send a message via AIM to Undarr Ground Send a message via Yahoo to Undarr Ground
Look up your host on Shit Hosts and see if they are on "the list". It is a bad thing to be on "the list"
Old 08-25-2003, 10:32 AM   #9
Deviator

nire, although i have not had many problems with ipowerweb, that was good to know so i dont sign up any more sites if they have that many per server. btw, where did you find this information? i would like to find someone with similar features since i love their service so far, but i do not want to be competing with that many people for server usage when the server gets full.
Old 08-25-2003, 10:57 AM   #10
Nire

http://www.whois.sc/gaming-pulse.com

"Reverse IP: Web server hosts 2120 websites"

Take a look at your resource usage Deviator. You most likely don't even come close to the bandwidth allocation that Ipower provides. Also, most of the extra "features" Ipower offers are offered by many other hosts or can be found on the net for free. Most websites never break 1 GB of transfer. That's what Ipower's business model is based on, they bet that not very many people will use their full transfer allotment.

It works out some of the time, other times a server will get totally bogged down because of too many sites using too many resources.

$7 - 10 a month is a good target price range to get quality hosting. For the average site, I'd look for 30 - 100 MB of storage and between 1 - 5 GBs of transfer. Finding a host in that price range with those resources doesn't gaurentee you good service though. You need to do your homework,test the company's response time and ask LOTS of questions.

Anyone else in the hosting industry?
http://host34.ipowerweb.com/sysinfo/
Ever seen a load of 145 before?
Old 08-25-2003, 01:24 PM   #11
TheClericBanton

Send a message via AIM to TheClericBanton Send a message via Yahoo to TheClericBanton
This is the host im using. They are pretty dam good for the price...

http://www.gisol.com/hosting/
[EGBT]|MaguS| - [EGBT]
Old 08-25-2003, 06:28 PM   #12
Deviator

i went to that site and looked up one of my ipower sites and i got this

Reverse IP: Web server hosts 1085229 websites

that can't be right, can it?

the other one i have hosted with them is 1830 sites

btw all of my interland sites say 7313, all on the same ip except 2 of the older sites show 1 per ip, but since they moved to the new servers, they suck anyway is why im moving.
Old 08-26-2003, 01:37 AM   #13
Kerryn

I think I have my hosting sorted now.

1gb transfer, 1 mysql, and 50mb of space.

For an extra Ģ3 I can get up to 10gb transfer, 2 additional databases and 50mb more space.

Aaniudari - I looked at that phpnuke thing when I first looked into the making the site a month or so ago. I think you are the one that suggested it if I remember right.

Unfortunately I have no clue how to work the bloody thing, how I incorporate it into a web site or how to install it on the server, if in fact it can be installed on the server I'm using.
Old 08-26-2003, 06:26 AM   #14
Nire

Kerryn, look for a host with fantastico installed. It will install phpnuke or post nuke for ya in one click. Then you can just mess around with it until it works.

Now to talk about my feelings for GISOL

This is the host im using. They are pretty dam good for the price...

http://www.gisol.com/hosting/
Gisol is probably one of the WORST spammers in the hosting industry. Not to mention their plans just aren't plausible. Let's say they use the cheapest of the cheap dedicated servers from rackshack $99 for a server with 700GB (we won't take into account server admin costs or the fact that the $99 server probably couldn't even push the full 700GB in most situations...for the purposes of this demo we will pretend they could)

700GB @ $99 = .14 cents per GB
65 x .14 = $9 versus their $7.95 a month
100 x .14 = $14 versus their $12.95 a month
200 x .14 - $28 versus their $19.95 a month

Keep in mind this is only taking into account bandwidth prices, not support staff, office costs, server administration, advertising and so on.

Their model is similar to Ipowerweb, the difference is Ipower advertises almost everywhere legitimately, where as gisol spam spam spams.

Ipower and Gisol are overselling, which isn't bad in itself...most industries (airline, telephone, power) oversell....but when you oversell to the point that it can and does hurt the consumer there is a problem.

I guarentee that if you ever get close to your bandwidth limit (within 10 GB or so) you will get your account cancelled for "using too many server resources"

Now that I've finished ranting...here's a little humor

This is a real Gisol bill from 2001 http://mywebpages.comcast.net/xboxmod/bill.jpg
Old 08-26-2003, 06:59 AM   #15
TheClericBanton

Well its better then what your host can offer

Im using about 50 - 70 GB's average and about 1GB of HD space...

I dont think I will ever hit my max and if I do I would probably just go private or dedicated on another host. Right how they offer me everything i need for a dam good price...
[EGBT]|MaguS| - [EGBT]
Old 08-27-2003, 09:24 AM   #16
Nire

What website do you run that's using 50 - 70GB a month, if you don't mind me asking?
Old 08-27-2003, 09:37 AM   #17
TheClericBanton

My Clans map site. It's private so no way of giving ya URL or information but it practically houses our maps and other game files.

aka its a download site...
[EGBT]|MaguS| - [EGBT]
Old 08-27-2003, 11:48 AM   #18
Nire

So...a private clan map site, that you convieniently can't give any information about....and your clan of how many members uses 50 -70 GB a month of transfer.

I highly doubt it.
Old 08-27-2003, 01:59 PM   #19
Undarr Ground
Banned User

uh-oh, Nire's getting paranoid AGAIN! :eek:

Its a CONSPIRACY!!!!